Much improved, but...

ImageImageImage
jirskyr

Much improved, but...

Post by jirskyr » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 10:32 am

Last week we had all the early ball against Manly, due to their errors, but failed to cross. We let in a try just before half time, then a double after half time and conceded 26 points in the last 45 minutes.

Last night we had early ball because we earned it in attack and defence, and managed to score. However we still let in a try just before half time, a double at 60 mins and conceded 26 points in last 45 mins.

Whilst there is definitely an improvement between the two games, we still fade badly at the back end of both halves and we are not going to be contenders for anything unless the effort and aggression persists over 80.

I think we are pleased with last night's game more because of the visibly improved aggression, rather than the overall execution. That may, however, have been about the opposition as much as us. Manly are a superior defensive team compared to Melbourne, however let's be honest we jagged Benji's try last night. We've only scored one honest try (Tedesco's) in 160 minutes. If we'd jagged a try or two against Manly last week, perhaps we wouldn't have been quite as impressed with the Melbourne game.

Don't want to be a downer, just that the difference between postitive and negative games, without improved execution, isn't showing on the scoreboard.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 12:05 pm

jirskyr wrote:Last week we had all the early ball against Manly, due to their errors, but failed to cross. We let in a try just before half time, then a double after half time and conceded 26 points in the last 45 minutes.

Last night we had early ball because we earned it in attack and defence, and managed to score. However we still let in a try just before half time, a double at 60 mins and conceded 26 points in last 45 mins.

Whilst there is definitely an improvement between the two games, we still fade badly at the back end of both halves and we are not going to be contenders for anything unless the effort and aggression persists over 80.

I think we are pleased with last night's game more because of the visibly improved aggression, rather than the overall execution. That may, however, have been about the opposition as much as us. Manly are a superior defensive team compared to Melbourne, however let's be honest we jagged Benji's try last night. We've only scored one honest try (Tedesco's) in 160 minutes. If we'd jagged a try or two against Manly last week, perhaps we wouldn't have been quite as impressed with the Melbourne game.

Don't want to be a downer, just that the difference between postitive and negative games, without improved execution, isn't showing on the scoreboard.
The most honest and realistic assessment iv'e read for a while

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 1:13 pm

Good call jirskyr. Honest and not wrong. I've always been one who gives a side 6 weeks at the start of the season before judging. Well 6 weeks is this coming weekend. Based on 5 weeks I don't see us making the 8, even 10th would be a reasonable finish, Take out Robbie, Benji and Woods and we're not that good. Blair, Anasta and Galloway are a good supporting cast but the problem lies after that. Younger guys in Koro, Teddy, BMM and Buchanan are works in progress whilst Fulton, Ayshford, Moltzen and Lawrence appear guys you fill ins. The reality is we're rebuilding with a host of good young players in development. I expect us to improve a little next season and hopefully by 2015 we'll be in a position to challenge again.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 1:31 pm

I disagree.....to me that was a breakthrough effort.

The aggression defensively from our pigs and new guys was the best Ive seen since the 05 finals games.

Pettybourne/Thompson and BMM were really having a massive dig and for a change we were NOT dominated up front.

Execution in our backline let us down.....passes were not finding the mark at all and tries should have been scored from our hard fought positional advantage.

Im pumped,I reckon we will smash the dragons.

PS.....Melbourne got on top at the end,I put that down to the ridiculous 14-7 penalty count and a glut of 50/50's that went the Storms way.Not too many teams would have got close to the storm on the back of that.

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 1:38 pm

you forgot one very important point,in the 1st half we played football, which made them work in defence and then smashed them in defence. in the second we played very little football, in fact we went back to hitting it one up again i think this was due to tiredness, but we should be fit now after 5 games, maybe they did not work as hard in the pre season as they thought. i think had we continued to throw the ball around we could have got them.