Benji's overweight and too comfy.

ImageImageImage
Eddie

Benji's overweight and too comfy.

Post by Eddie » Tue 07 May, 2013 9:53 pm

To me that is the harsh reality. He is still fit and strong, but not rock hard fit. He reckons its extra baulk/muscle, which is probably half true. However i think he is carrying some puppy fat and that is why he has lost some of his sharpness and speed. Might be a tough call however for mine like Sandow in 2012, the face is a give away, to me he looks a little bloated. Shoot me down and tell me im dreaming but I don't think he is 100% rock hard fit as you have to be to be sharp and switched on in the NRL.

To me it comes down to hunger and that real drive that the top, top liners have. The likes of Slater, Cronk, Thirston, Farah they hurt when they lose and they do everything to better themselves. I think Benji has been too comfortable lately, and happy with other things in his life (which is fine). I think he has almost felt sorry for himself with the likes of Heighto, Ryan, Gibbs leaving. Whilst i'm sure he still cares, i think he has not been affected, or hurting as much as he should for a top draw player that is way below his best. I thought maybe the new coach, or losing the Kiwi captaincy would be the turning point in finding some of that real determination again. However he has been dreadful and disinterested this year and talking in the press again about finding his running game.

For me he can still get back back to where we was in 2009-10, but he needs to work his bum off and leave no stone unturned. I here things about Cronk going to Arizona to train at altitude with the Brisbane Lions in November when his Storm team mates are still on holidays. Things like that that can give you an edge on game day.

Just my opinion. I don't want to be seen as death riding him, i want him to get back to his best. Because he has been loyal to the club and a great player. However unless he can really push himself the next couple of years his career will be looked back at as unfufilled.

WestsSupporter

Post by WestsSupporter » Wed 08 May, 2013 1:28 am

To me, it looks as if he doesn't give two toots about Rugby League. It seems more about having fun and being with your mates. Now that's what the game's all about at its core, but this is professional sport people!
Extremely frustrated fan. Try not to let my negativity get to you.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Wed 08 May, 2013 2:40 am

We all know what he can do, but the desire has long gone.Its a very hard road to walk if you want to remain on top of the hill and Benji is getting paid a motza to slide down the hill,theirs nobody telling him to pull his fingers out,just lots of back slappers

cunno

Post by cunno » Wed 08 May, 2013 6:05 am

He was saying on the tele this morning that if he doesn't pick his game up then he could end up in reserve grade so he gets the message but does he really believe it enough to do something about it???

Eye Of Da Tiger

Post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Wed 08 May, 2013 7:37 am

It's called married life. He has beefed up!!!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 08 May, 2013 7:41 am

cunno wrote:He was saying on the tele this morning that if he doesn't pick his game up then he could end up in reserve grade so he gets the message but does he really believe it enough to do something about it???
Only thing more pathetic than his defensive attempts last week is this attempt at serious self appraisal....he's becoming a politician and thinks were are all gullible fools

shane2801

Post by shane2801 » Wed 08 May, 2013 9:24 am

Eye Of Da Tiger wrote:It's called married life. He has beefed up!!!

I've been there. :P
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Wed 08 May, 2013 11:41 am

shane2801 wrote:
Eye Of Da Tiger wrote:It's called married life. He has beefed up!!!

I've been there. :P
There are plenty of top footballers who get married during there career but it does not affect their sporting determination and motivation. I think that the main problem is that he has lost contact and motivation from his original first grade coach Tim Sheens who knew how to get the best out of Benji. On the other hand Mick Potter is still trying work Benji out.

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Wed 08 May, 2013 11:48 am

put him in reserve grade for 2-4 weeks and then see how he goes and what sort of upgrade contract he will get.

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Wed 08 May, 2013 11:51 am

Well the good news is he's come out and acknowledged his form is poor and has stated he's looking to return to the basics this week. That's a start. Previously he's been plodding along, so acknowledgement of the problem Is a start. I expect him to pick it up over the next few weeks, bit by bit.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Wed 08 May, 2013 11:55 am

Tigerpete wrote:Well the good news is he's come out and acknowledged his form is poor and has stated he's looking to return to the basics this week. That's a start. Previously he's been plodding along, so acknowledgement of the problem Is a start. I expect him to pick it up over the next few weeks, bit by bit.
I agree. I think that deep down Benji has too much pride to not pick himself up.

cunno

Post by cunno » Wed 08 May, 2013 12:35 pm

innsaneink wrote:
cunno wrote:He was saying on the tele this morning that if he doesn't pick his game up then he could end up in reserve grade so he gets the message but does he really believe it enough to do something about it???
Only thing more pathetic than his defensive attempts last week is this attempt at serious self appraisal....he's becoming a politician and thinks were are all gullible fools
Exactly, he has come to learn to say what he thinks the reporter or audience wants to hear.

Basil Tiger

Post by Basil Tiger » Wed 08 May, 2013 1:34 pm

Lets hope he comes good,Friends heard on NZ radio that he may struggle just to make the bench for the WC side if there isn't a major form turnaround in the NRL.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 08 May, 2013 1:41 pm

Please, as if Benji would stand for being put in NSW cup for a week or two. WT are a clear example that politics exist in Rugby League. Miller gets 10 games in fg to show his worth and Benji's best buddy gets season after season and is as safe as a bank

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Wed 08 May, 2013 2:22 pm

I think the bottom line, Benji burst onto the scene, with arguably the best step ever seen,backed it up with blistering pace and had a passing game that on his day was magic. Now like most players after ten years in the game his pace has dropped off and Iam afraid he never developed other skills to counteract his lack of pace.Players like Fitler and Johns as they got older they developed new skills as other skills dropped off.

I have no doubt Benji could do a fair job for another five years but I dont think he will do a great job and thats what we demand from our major earner

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Wed 08 May, 2013 2:32 pm

cunno wrote:
Exactly, he has come to learn to say what he thinks the reporter or audience wants to hear.
Eh, I'm not sure what else he could possibly say. He's admitted his form is s*** & he needs to run more. Unfortunately, sometimes knowing what the problem is and solving it are different.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Wed 08 May, 2013 3:32 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Please, as if Benji would stand for being put in NSW cup for a week or two. WT are a clear example that politics exist in Rugby League. Miller gets 10 games in fg to show his worth and Benji's best buddy gets season after season and is as safe as a bank
Other clubs have stood up to senior players before. Dave Taylor and Isaac luke have both been dropped to reserve grade before. I say do the same to Benji if he keeps dishing out performances like on Friday
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Wed 08 May, 2013 3:56 pm

I don't think Benji will be dropped, not because Potter wouldn't have the guts to do so but because even an out of sorts Benji is still an experienced player whose direction and talk still exists. Unless Brooks or whoever plays out of their skin and makes it impossible to select Benji, I just don't see it happening.