Is Mick Potter out of his depth?

ImageImageImage
Anthism

Re: Is Mick Potter out of his depth?

Post by Anthism » Fri 10 May, 2013 10:35 pm

Anything else we can do about this whole situation other than boo the players off?
I'd like to see Potter with his own squad but I really hope the boys are beyond fired up, Potter included, to at least show SOMETHING next week. From the very average crowd that attended and their reaction post game the players surely know nothing is going to go better for them until they get their stuff together.
Feels so empty knowing so much is in shambles at all levels (except NSW CUP/NYC).

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Fri 10 May, 2013 10:39 pm

Blackpearl wrote:
willow wrote:We just don't have the calibre of troops left that I'm sure Potter would like to call upon. I think the bloke can coach, but we're simply outclassed this year.
x 2 ... this is not his team. sheens's lack of blooding teriffic young players in his last two years is now coming home to roost. potter needs a big clean out at the end of the season. lawrence, blair,reddy, utai,moltzen,fulton are yesterdays players and should be shuffled off to the the old dart. use that broom mick !
without Moltzen, Fulton and Reddy, who are your utility backs? Without Fulton who makes the extra 20 tackles in the breakdown above what a normal player should be expected to make?

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Fri 10 May, 2013 10:47 pm

I agree that we are playing without confidence. Surely this is the coach's role to instill confidence. It is also Poytter's role to develop some attacking structure. Things are OK around the ruck with Robbie in charge, but Benji had no runners tonight, no options in attack. In previous years, he had had 2 or 3 options on every play, plus the option to run himself. Lately, he looks like he has no idea what to do.

The jury is still out on Potter, but so far he doesn't seem to have a clue.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 10 May, 2013 10:57 pm

He was always going to be on a hiding to nothing with the way we handled Sheens and his crap recruitment...then you throw in the injury situation

He is the cheapest coach out there.....the way things are going we wont get anyone else cheaper which always seems to be the most importsnt thing with us

He might get the time but I doubt he'll get the players

Post by Guest » Fri 10 May, 2013 11:06 pm

Gazman wrote:This is not a criticism as its too early to tell, but usually in previous years even with injuries Sheens seemed to get the team up for a make up performance when we played crap, I wonder if Potter is able to motivate the players like Sheens did when our backs were against the wall. Its easy to lay the blame at the team he was given but at some stage I would think that the players would respond to his style and have a dig. Surely we do not have to go back to camp Kiama to acheive this.

DONT blame the coach
I DEMAND the CEO of this club to publicy APOLOGISE on the DESTRUCTION that has become due to the FUCKIN PATHETIC MANAGEMENT of this CLUB.
What a JOKE WE HAVE BECOME.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 10 May, 2013 11:13 pm

I don't blame Potter for this mess.

The difference between Potter and Sheens is that Potter knows he isn't untouchable. He is doing the best with what he has. You can see the disappointment and urgency in Potters demeanour.

The only concession for Sheens being paid out is that we finally got sick of his BS, he thought he had it all. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in that meeting.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

DJZ

Post by DJZ » Fri 10 May, 2013 11:22 pm

The only thing potter is out of are players......

claws

Post by claws » Fri 10 May, 2013 11:53 pm

For the people that think Tim Sheens must be laughing his head off! Let me tell you, he would not be, because he loved and cared for the Weststigers Club, management, sponsors, players and fans.That's the type of person he is. As I've stated previously, there is no replacement for experience on or off the field. At present this reality has hit us in the head like a sledgehammer. It will continue for a while yet, but hang in there, we will come good eventually. Therefore, lay off the management, coach and the few senior players we have on the field who are running around with a bunch of park footballers next to them in the NRL competition. Go Weststigers!

Champs05

Post by Champs05 » Sat 11 May, 2013 12:31 am

Potter doesn't appear to be tough enough for a first grade coach. No mongrel exhibited like Bellamey, Maguire or even Flannagan. Won't replace or drop non performing players. Injuries are no excuse. Every team has them.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 11 May, 2013 12:36 am

Well as much as I,m glad Sheens is gone ,the Tigers were never last under him .So is Potter out of his depth the Tigers are last at the moment !

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Sat 11 May, 2013 12:37 am

Gazman wrote:I wonder if Potter is able to motivate the players like Sheens did when our backs were against the wall. Its easy to lay the blame at the team he was given but at some stage I would think that the players would respond to his style and have a dig. Surely we do not have to go back to camp Kiama to acheive this.
I am going to call rubbish. They were well up for the match.

30-6.....go back and watch the match. How many times did Cronulla split us? How many Cronulla tries were from kicks?

You quickly get back to a score line of 12-6. The difference was Carney's kicking game.

Post by Guest » Sat 11 May, 2013 12:59 am

stryker wrote:Juries still out on Potter for me. Unlike many on here I wasnt doing backflips when we signed him. To me a rookie coach with our poor roster = a terrible season. It has worked out worse than I thought.

One thing that is very noticeable is that our skill level with the ball has dropped away. We just can not score tries. A few of us got excited tonight because we scored an old school backline draw and pass try. Thats pretty embarrassing that a fundamental of the game is so irregular for our team that we actually get excited when it happens....
We def were better able to move the ball from one side to the other better than many teams, to switch the focus of attack. Now there's no real focus of attack at all. But it would be a while before we'd know how much of that is Potter's responsibility...

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Sat 11 May, 2013 1:07 am

Gary Bakerloo wrote:
Gazman wrote:I wonder if Potter is able to motivate the players like Sheens did when our backs were against the wall. Its easy to lay the blame at the team he was given but at some stage I would think that the players would respond to his style and have a dig. Surely we do not have to go back to camp Kiama to acheive this.
I am going to call rubbish. They were well up for the match.

30-6.....go back and watch the match. How many times did Cronulla split us? How many Cronulla tries were from kicks?

You quickly get back to a score line of 12-6. The difference was Carney's kicking game.
I like the cut of your jib Bakerloo...

If Koro didnt crack it would have been a much closer event. Football is about creating pressure, unfortunately for us Koro beat himself, after that it was contagious. We lose structure as a whole under the pump, it doesnt take much. After that we are ripe for the picking.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sat 11 May, 2013 6:48 am

No I don't think he's out of his depth.

Inherited a club with poor recruitment and therefore, poor management.
Unbelievably bad injuries.
He's got regular first grade players under-performing, but doesn't want to bring up players who aren't quite ready......just look at Marika.

Not a hell of a lot he can do this year really. Under the current circumstances I'd be surprised if we didn't get the spoon.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 11 May, 2013 8:21 am

Its like putting a builder in a street on council clean up week, give him a screwdriver, point to all the crap on the footpaths and tell him ''build me a house with what you got"

He's on a hiding to nothing.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 11 May, 2013 8:30 am

The last first grade prop of any note Sheens purchased was Galloway. That should tell you about where our club is at.

I watched a fair few of Potters SL coaching games and his sides always had great attacking structure and resolute defence.

We really have a fracture in our club about those who give a crap and those who don't

tigersrule4life

Post by tigersrule4life » Sat 11 May, 2013 8:35 am

True we are a mess atm it wont be long until we have a clean out heaps will prob leave at the end of the year. and please sign PROPS.

Tap Twist Snap

Post by Tap Twist Snap » Sat 11 May, 2013 9:12 am

It's hard to know about his coaching ability without giving him more time but I'm worried the club could end up a much bigger mess by giving him that time. If the current players won't put in for him and the "hard" talk about picking players on form doesn't eventuate I can't see him commanding the respect that is required. I can't see any rep quality players wanting to come to the club to play under Potter on unless we pay massive overs. There isn't a much of a chance we can lure a super coach away from anywhere else either.

We are probably in a position where we have to rebuild and create a great coach. If Payton is the future we might as well start it now. I think he could get far more out of the current crop of players as long as he stands his ground with the ones he is "mates" with. The under 20's players seem to have a great passion when playing for him.