Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

diedpretty

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Post by diedpretty » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 9:17 pm

:roll
Spud Murphy wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 8:50 pm
https://static.zerotackle.com/wp-conten ... jpg?x14366

Cameron Munster looking more and more like Herman every day! All we need is a couple of bolts in his neck and we're good to go :lol:

:roll :roll very good

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 10:00 pm

2041 wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:48 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:39 pm
hodgo wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 2:28 pm
It does my head in that people blow up about the lack of quality signings and then whinge when we go after the best hooker in the game not named smith.

You get cook and others will come. You take the best players you can and any position and build around them. At the moment we dont have a player in the top 3 in their position anywhere on the field.
Fully.
I love Farah but he is only here for transition purposes.
Liddle is supposed to be the transitionee (per se), but if we could get Cook this is a no-brainer.

Note: this is not to say we don't still need a proper strike forward and a class centre.
You've just summed up why people are wary of signing Cook and you don't even realise it.

If Cook signs for 900k a year that's 10% of the cap gone for the next four years, and with it a fair slice of the likelihood that the Tigers will be able to compete the next time a proper strike forward or a class centre become available.

There are people on here who airily demand signings with absolutely no acknowledgment of the consequences for the club's cap position. It was the same when the Wighton rumours were circling. Lots of people said we should sign him to play centre. I said signing a poor fullback on a 700k contract because we think he might go better in the centres was insane. Someone replied "I don't think anyone's talking about signing him for 700k." But that's the contract he's on - he's not going to come here for less.

Cook's a good player; I don't think anyone disputes that. But the question isn't whether he's good - the questions are whether he's the player we need and whether he's good enough to justify the proportion of the cap he's expected to demand. Given hooker is about the only position on the park where the Tigers have the most precious commodity in the NRL - a young player who may be able to produce performances above his cap spend - there is a very, very strong argument that locking ourselves into a mammoth contract in that position would be a very stupid move indeed.

It's like, if I have a perfectly decent Toyota and my house is falling down, and someone offers to sell me a full price Maserati. The sensible response is "no thanks, my car is fine and I really need to spend the money I've saved repairing my house or, even better, waiting for a bargain to come along so I can move to a better house." People on here say "that Maserati is way better than our Toyota, let's spend all our money on it".
Agree, but we're banking on Liddle definitely coming good this season. If not, are we content to drift again?
"Quality Stupidity"

Post by 2041 » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 4:30 am

NT Tiger wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 10:00 pm
2041 wrote:
bigsiro wrote:
hodgo wrote:
It does my head in that people blow up about the lack of quality signings and then whinge when we go after the best hooker in the game not named smith.

You get cook and others will come. You take the best players you can and any position and build around them. At the moment we dont have a player in the top 3 in their position anywhere on the field.
Fully.
Liddle is supposed to be the transitionee (per se), but if we could get Cook this is a no-brainer.

Note: this is not to say we don't still need a proper strike forward and a class centre.
You've just summed up why people are wary of signing Cook and you don't even realise it.

If Cook signs for 900k a year that's 10% of the cap gone for the next four years, and with it a fair slice of the likelihood that the Tigers will be able to compete the next time a proper strike forward or a class centre become available.

There are people on here who airily demand signings with absolutely no acknowledgment of the consequences for the club's cap position. It was the same when the Wighton rumours were circling. Lots of people said we should sign him to play centre. I said signing a poor fullback on a 700k contract because we think he might go better in the centres was insane. Someone replied "I don't think anyone's talking about signing him for 700k." But that's the contract he's on - he's not going to come here for less.

Cook's a good player; I don't think anyone disputes that. But the question isn't whether he's good - the questions are whether he's the player we need and whether he's good enough to justify the proportion of the cap he's expected to demand. Given hooker is about the only position on the park where the Tigers have the most precious commodity in the NRL - a young player who may be able to produce performances above his cap spend - there is a very, very strong argument that locking ourselves into a mammoth contract in that position would be a very stupid move indeed.

It's like, if I have a perfectly decent Toyota and my house is falling down, and someone offers to sell me a full price Maserati. The sensible response is "no thanks, my car is fine and I really need to spend the money I've saved repairing my house or, even better, waiting for a bargain to come along so I can move to a better house." People on here say "that Maserati is way better than our Toyota, let's spend all our money on it".
Agree, but we're banking on Liddle definitely coming good this season. If not, are we content to drift again?
The club isn't in a financial position to write off its youngsters after one major injury. It might be ok for the Roosters to let good players go because they can always afford to sign replacenents for top dollar, but a club like the Tigers has to get a decent load of its talent from within.

Again, Liddle turned 22 a couple of weeks ago, lost the best part of a year to a shoulder injury and has been viewed by the club as its future number 9 for years. And yet there's a guy on the previous page saying he has never shown any potential.

It is, literally, impossible in a salary capped league to build a winning roster exclusively out of established players on top dollar. We can probably afford three marquee contracts across the squad. Hooker is probably the only position where the Tigers have an internal option with the potential to be a difference maker. The maths is easy.

Post by 2041 » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 4:35 am

Cairnstigers wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 9:02 pm
2041 wrote:
bigsiro wrote:
hodgo wrote:

Fully.

Well take a pick

The Maserati will get you to the hardware store and home quicker to do the repairs

The Toyota will never pass or get ahead of the car in front unless it has a major upgrade

Give me the Masersti please
Missing the point, again. Once you've bought the Maserati you can't afford anything in the hardware store.

Everyone knows we needs a centre and an impact forward. Why are we trying to spend lots of money on a hooker?

I'll give you another comparison. Your wife says she'll leave you if you don't take her on holiday. You buy a Maserati, reasoning that she'll be super impressed on the drive to the airport. She is, but you haven't got any money left for flights. She leaves you.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 5:10 am

hodgo wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 9:16 pm
2041 wrote:
bigsiro wrote:
hodgo wrote:

Fully.

i understand what you are saying but your resting one of our most important positions on a kid that cant stay on the park, and has not shown anywhere near the potential required to be a good hooker let alone a game changer.
Cook was once in Liddles shoes...developing player.
If you cant see the potential youre not watching close enough, and just because hes been injured before, doesnt mean thats his future...injuries are a big part of the game

41's correct and talking sense - hooker isnt our positions of urgency where were lacking right now

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 5:26 am

Why are we even discussing Cook? His re-signing will be announced shortly. Souths predicting AJ to the Sharks. Jennings remains unsigned.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 5:37 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 5:26 am
Why are we even discussing Cook? His re-signing will be announced shortly. Souths predicting AJ to the Sharks. Jennings remains unsigned.
Cause it's a forum for discussing stuff I guess..

I think you are right tho..Cook will stay at Souff's ..this is all about his manager squeezing as much juice from the lemon he can...

Jennings would be good but if whispers are true prefer Walker over him..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:00 am

What we reallly want is one of Souths props. Bump up Cooks value enough and Souths may have to offload one to retain him.

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:50 am

Geo. wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 5:37 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:

I think you are right tho..Cook will stay at Souff's ..this is all about his manager squeezing as much juice from the lemon he can...

One of the members on the rabbit's forum is pretty confident cook has re signed and that it will be announced soon

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 7:34 am

Geo. wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 5:37 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:

Walker would be good and I know we all discuss different rumours and signings in this thread,however I think that because we havent heard much from the club atm,Madge may hold all the cards in regards to recruiting some players we need...He has fair knowledge in regard to the Kiwis and Souths players,hopefully we gain the right players for the positions needed to be filled..

Im really keen to see if the younger ones in our squad can have a standout year under Madge and realise their true potential as NRL players of the future,we do have some talented young guys and hopefully they do well with us and stay for the long haul...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

andrew 474

Post by andrew 474 » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 7:35 am

I think we will see Madge go for positions and players that will strengthen us up , Centre and Big Forward as has been said before , where we get good ones from is the question , Walker would add to the centre spot and do the job , Forward I'm still not sure , Cook won't happen ,, Levi may be a chance just incase Liddle doesn't fire , Robbie will be gone end of 2019 so Levi could be back up and he does have a go and is tough and Agresive and could go well under Madge , couple more weeks and we will see some addition I think , Brooks to sign I hope soon to get things rolling , Ahh got to love the off season , player changes , coach changes , Rumours , love it

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 8:02 am

Levi has a massive opinion of himself, has played test football, had back surgery and I imagine would want more than a minimum contract.

Should both Farah and Liddle falter, I would look at Luke or Reynolds as a stop gap and chase someone like Purcell or Brailey.

Steer clear of duds like Levi & Lichaa or paying a fortune. There are a lot of solid hookers around and limited opportunities.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 8:12 am

andrew 474 wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 7:35 am
I think we will see Madge go for positions and players that will strengthen us up , Centre and Big Forward as has been said before , where we get good ones from is the question , Walker would add to the centre spot and do the job , Forward I'm still not sure , Cook won't happen ,, Levi may be a chance just incase Liddle doesn't fire , Robbie will be gone end of 2019 so Levi could be back up and he does have a go and is tough and Agresive and could go well under Madge , couple more weeks and we will see some addition I think , Brooks to sign I hope soon to get things rolling , Ahh got to love the off season , player changes , coach changes , Rumours , love it
The off-season hasn’t been quite. The coaching merry go round has now settled. Player movement are still on the go as always. That never seems to stop, which keeps things interesting. Then you have a code switcher and some police matters. Never a dull moment.

My wish list is similar to others. Walker signed as a centre and a Burgess signed at Prop.
Plus Mungrove as an impact bench forward.
Plus McQueen to move on.
in Ivan we distrust

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 8:26 am

hodgo wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 9:16 pm
2041 wrote:
bigsiro wrote:
hodgo wrote:

Fully.

i understand what you are saying but your resting one of our most important positions on a kid that cant stay on the park, and has not shown anywhere near the potential required to be a good hooker let alone a game changer.
Just saying Hodgo - I think you are wrong (entitled to your opinion though).

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 9:43 am

Telltails wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:00 am
What we reallly want is one of Souths props. Bump up Cooks value enough and Souths may have to offload one to retain him.
Hopefully JP & Madge are playing out something like this!

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 9:57 am

2041 wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 4:35 am
Cairnstigers wrote:
2041 wrote:
bigsiro wrote:

Fully.

Well take a pick

The Maserati will get you to the hardware store and home quicker to do the repairs

The Toyota will never pass or get ahead of the car in front unless it has a major upgrade

Missing the point, again. Once you've bought the Maserati you can't afford anything in the hardware store.

Everyone knows we needs a centre and an impact forward. Why are we trying to spend lots of money on a hooker?

I'll give you another comparison. Your wife says she'll leave you if you don't take her on holiday. You buy a Maserati, reasoning that she'll be super impressed on the drive to the airport. She is, but you haven't got any money left for flights. She leaves you.
You're assuming we don't have the cap space to improve all our weaknesses over the next two seasons. Im assuming Maguire is better informed of your our cap situation than you.

Post by 2041 » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 10:09 am

gallagher wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 9:57 am
2041 wrote:
Cairnstigers wrote:
2041 wrote:

Well take a pick

You're assuming we don't have the cap space to improve all our weaknesses over the next two seasons. Im assuming Maguire is better informed of your our cap situation than you.
Yes, I'm assuming we don't have enough money to re-sign Brooks, sign Cook, sign a marquee centre and a marquee middle or edge forward, continue paying Reynolds, Mbye and Packer, and have a full roster of 30 players. Yes, I also assume Maguire has more detailed information than this. Time will tell.

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 10:15 am

2041 wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 10:09 am
gallagher wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 9:57 am
2041 wrote:
Cairnstigers wrote:

Well take a pick

Yes, I'm assuming we don't have enough money to re-sign Brooks, sign Cook, sign a marquee centre and a marquee middle or edge forward, continue paying Reynolds, Mbye and Packer, and have a full roster of 30 players. Yes, I also assume Maguire has more detailed information than this. Time will tell.
madge did say he is willing to offload players.....but idk
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell