Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

will1999
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Unread post by will1999 » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 11:29 am

hammertime wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 10:55 am
tigerap wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 10:41 am
steve-o wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 9:09 am
Well said. This club needs to perform now. We've been waiting too long already. Cleary started early enough that he was able to sign off on the majority of signings as well as a number of re-resignings.
I agree...a continuous run of semi final footy for the next 5 years, starting from 2018 is the minimum acceptable performance from this club... A premiership in the next 5 years would be just brilliant.!
I can't tell if you guys are being serious or not. If so, I think you guys need a reality check.

Maybe see how many teams have gotten into the top 4 first year on a rebuild. The realism of it is that the players you want or need are never available in Year 1. Cleary did the bet he could with recruitment based on what was around.

I expect us to be competitive, but better than another 8 sides to make the finals? mmm.... not so much.
I thought last years team was bad yet they were one point away from the top 8

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 66 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 9:28 pm

hammertime wrote:
tigerap wrote:
steve-o wrote:
Well said. This club needs to perform now. We've been waiting too long already. Cleary started early enough that he was able to sign off on the majority of signings as well as a number of re-resignings.
I agree...a continuous run of semi final footy for the next 5 years, starting from 2018 is the minimum acceptable performance from this club... A premiership in the next 5 years would be just brilliant.!
I can't tell if you guys are being serious or not. If so, I think you guys need a reality check.

Maybe see how many teams have gotten into the top 4 first year on a rebuild. The realism of it is that the players you want or need are never available in Year 1. Cleary did the bet he could with recruitment based on what was around.

I expect us to be competitive, but better than another 8 sides to make the finals? mmm.... not so much.
Sorry but I don’t think a reality check is needed. What’s wrong with having an expectation of success? I’ve been listening to the club talk about ‘rebuild’ and ‘rising up’ and ‘hitting key indicators’ for years. As I said, I love the Tigers and support them with a passion but I want the club to demonstrate success. I want my team to make the 8. I don’t want to sit through the rhetoric of another rebuild. Time to deliver now!

hammertime
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by hammertime » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 10:47 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 9:28 pm
hammertime wrote:
tigerap wrote:
steve-o wrote:

Sorry but I don’t think a reality check is needed. What’s wrong with having an expectation of success? I’ve been listening to the club talk about ‘rebuild’ and ‘rising up’ and ‘hitting key indicators’ for years. As I said, I love the Tigers and support them with a passion but I want the club to demonstrate success. I want my team to make the 8. I don’t want to sit through the rhetoric of another rebuild. Time to deliver now!
Because of the implications on signing strategies. Cleary and co would have picked our team based on not just who is available now, but key targets in the next few years. You can't create a sustainable competitive team from day dot and you'll shoot yourself in the leg if you try. I for one, don't want to repeat past mistakes of caving under external pressure and focus on the short term like we did with previous backloaded contracts.

Put it this way, if you were to put pressure on Cleary and say he has to make the top 4 this year or lose himself job, would he backload contracts? Would he still have some squirrelled away for a bargain buy like we currently do? Would he look for potential or have overspent on known quantities?

Definitely nothing wrong with optimism, this team has the potential to give it a shake, but for me, silly short sighted ultimatums is a very different story that sends us down a path we don't want to go down again.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 44 times

Unread post by jadtiger » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 1:07 am

hammertime wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 10:47 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 9:28 pm
hammertime wrote:
tigerap wrote:

Because of the implications on signing strategies. Cleary and co would have picked our team based on not just who is available now, but key targets in the next few years. You can't create a sustainable competitive team from day dot and you'll shoot yourself in the leg if you try. I for one, don't want to repeat past mistakes of caving under external pressure and focus on the short term like we did with previous backloaded contracts.

Put it this way, if you were to put pressure on Cleary and say he has to make the top 4 this year or lose himself job, would he backload contracts? Would he still have some squirrelled away for a bargain buy like we currently do? Would he look for potential or have overspent on known quantities?

Definitely nothing wrong with optimism, this team has the potential to give it a shake, but for me, silly short sighted ultimatums is a very different story that sends us down a path we don't want to go down again.
Most sensible post i have read for a long time well said Hammertime

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 188 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 7:29 am

hammertime wrote:
tigerap wrote:
steve-o wrote:

Except it is not a rebuilding year. As of 2018 our cap is balanced and we are on an even playing field with 15 other clubs.

supercoach
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 74 times

Unread post by supercoach » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 7:30 am

2018 we will be competitive but introducing so many new players to the club is going to be a real hard ask and really I can't think of to many clubs who have recruited heavily that have had instant success.

It also has to be remembered with the world cup being played is going to have a effect on the preseason with some of our squad spread around most of the competing teams.

I also think we still are missing some real speed and a goal kicker that will win you the close games. Anyway they showed enough at the back end of the season to at least give you hope, but no Woods and no Tedesco will be big shoes to fill

hammertime

Unread post by hammertime » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 8:23 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 17 Oct, 2017 7:29 am
Except it is not a rebuilding year. As of 2018 our cap is balanced and we are on an even playing field with 15 other clubs.
mmm...we have a new coach, practically a new roster (from what limited players were available), change in culture and uncertainty around positions and potential.

You must have a different definition of a rebuild to me GNR.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 188 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 8:43 am

hammertime wrote:
Tue 17 Oct, 2017 8:23 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
mmm...we have a new coach, practically a new roster (from what limited players were available), change in culture and uncertainty around positions and potential.

I think we have different interpratations of what the phrase "rebuild" means. By round 1 next year, Cleary will have been in the job for almost a year, not exactly new anymore. The roster overhaul this year was the heart of the rebuild. Rebuilding is when you are resigned to accepting poor results while you strengthen for the future. That sounds a lot like what happened this year

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 8:52 am

Pascoe & Go said 'as an organisation, not playing finals football is not an option'.

If we dont make the Top 8 in 2018, someone needs to be put on the chopping bloke regardless of the never-ending excuses and retric of 'next year'
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 227 times
Been liked: 348 times

Unread post by Geo. » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 8:55 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Tue 17 Oct, 2017 8:52 am
Pascoe & Go said 'as an organisation, not playing finals football is not an option'.

If we dont make the Top 8 in 2018, someone needs to be put on the chopping bloke regardless of the never-ending excuses and retric of 'next year'
Most definitely Justin Pascoe stated on the sacking of Jason Taylor ' As an organisation...We will not allow another season to drift'...oh wait..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

steve-o
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by steve-o » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 9:06 am

hammertime wrote:
tigerap wrote:
steve-o wrote:

I never said anything about top 4. There's no way we'll be in the top 4 next year IMO. However I do I do expect us to be a lot more competitive in 2018, and at least be in finals contention all the way through round 26. If we limp out of the gate and our season is over by July, I'll be very disappointed
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

hammertime

Unread post by hammertime » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 9:30 am

Tiger Watto wrote:

Come on man, we finally have a good complete management team and coach that haven't yet had a full year together and you're already putting people on a 'chopping bloke'?

Regardless of whoever this chopping bloke is, more instability and change is DEFINITELY not what we need. It's been exactly our problem.

As supporters, we really shouldn't make the job of the media easier (who obviously have a vendetta). The endless barrage of what management have endured so far is tough. Lets not add to that. We've got the right guys in there finally with a clean slate - lets give them our support, not threats.

Telltails
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 42 times

Unread post by Telltails » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 9:39 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 17 Oct, 2017 8:43 am
hammertime wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

I think we have different interpratations of what the phrase "rebuild" means. By round 1 next year, Cleary will have been in the job for almost a year, not exactly new anymore. The roster overhaul this year was the heart of the rebuild. Rebuilding is when you are resigned to accepting poor results while you strengthen for the future. That sounds a lot like what happened this year
Dont often agree GNR - but with you on this one. The last thing we need the players to think is that this is another rebuild year. We have invested good money on seasoned FG. players with a good mix of youth, and that needs to translate with results on the field. We have some depth in positions now, and barring a horror run with injuries at the very least we need to be knocking on the door of the eight.

tigerap
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by tigerap » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 10:35 am

Telltails wrote:
Tue 17 Oct, 2017 9:39 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 17 Oct, 2017 8:43 am
hammertime wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Dont often agree GNR - but with you on this one. The last thing we need the players to think is that this is another rebuild year. We have invested good money on seasoned FG. players with a good mix of youth, and that needs to translate with results on the field. We have some depth in positions now, and barring a horror run with injuries at the very least we need to be knocking on the door of the eight.
If we don't finish 2018 in positions 6-8 , we have failed simple as that...The Roosters went from 15th in 2016, leaking 24 points a game to 2nd in 2017....if they can do it why can't the WT!

larrycorowa
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by larrycorowa » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 10:36 am

Top 8 is a pass mark. Anything less and you could expect another hefty turnover in the roster. If players don't perform we identify them and replace them until we have a competitive team. Hopefully it takes one year but maybe 2-3 as long as we keep moving in the right direction. We are coming from a long way back and it won't happen overnight.

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 11:15 am

Do we know if Cleary has signed any decent coaches yet?
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 227 times
Been liked: 348 times

Unread post by Geo. » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 11:17 am

hammertime wrote:
Tue 17 Oct, 2017 9:30 am
Tiger Watto wrote:

Come on man, we finally have a good complete management team and coach that haven't yet had a full year together and you're already putting people on a 'chopping bloke'?

Regardless of whoever this chopping bloke is, more instability and change is DEFINITELY not what we need. It's been exactly our problem.

As supporters, we really shouldn't make the job of the media easier (who obviously have a vendetta). The endless barrage of what management have endured so far is tough. Lets not add to that. We've got the right guys in there finally with a clean slate - lets give them our support, not threats.
Justin Pascoe stated on the sacking of Jason Taylor ' As an organisation...We will not allow another season to drift'...

This was not media or fan driven..it was from the CEO..

So this statement was hot air...?
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

hammertime

Unread post by hammertime » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 11:51 am

Geo. wrote:
Tue 17 Oct, 2017 11:17 am
hammertime wrote:
Tue 17 Oct, 2017 9:30 am
Tiger Watto wrote:

Justin Pascoe stated on the sacking of Jason Taylor ' As an organisation...We will not allow another season to drift'...

This was not media or fan driven..it was from the CEO..

So this statement was hot air...?

As you say, he said it in the context of JT after 2.5 years of effort. JT wasn't building or improving on prior years. Drifting. So he made a change.

That doesn't mean cleary has the responsibility to try and improve on JTs foundations, he needs to restructure. By doing that, we won't be drifting.

I'm obviously outvoted here. I've said my peace.

Return to “Player Contract Rumours & Discussion”