Re: Nathan Cleary

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 9:22 am

NT Tiger wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 9:02 am
Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 7:32 am
Bob wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 11:05 pm
Everyone is seeing this as tigers chasing Nathan?

I see it is Ivan trying to secure his next contract.

The tigers coaching role has been very hostile for the last hal of a decade. If tigers go ok and the possibility of grabbing an in form half, as well as a possible retirement of Bellamy and also Bennett.

There is a strong chance the duo could end up at the storm or the Broncos.

Pity......
Exactly what I was thinking when I read the article. This as much about Ivan as it is Nathan.

And that they would be targeted by the likes of the roosters, Broncos, storm and sharks.
......and Wests Tigers. This could be the catalyst for getting our house truly in order. It could also be the beginning of a Bellamy/Storm, Bennett/Broncos type legacy. Cleary/Wests Tigers has a good ring to it.
I really hope so. I know it’s early days but I think Cleary will be so good for bringing our club out of the dark. I hope both he and our management are thinking long term.

jirskyr
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 110 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 12:54 pm

We really cannot lose. If N Cleary keeps developing we are box-seat to offer a strong contract when he next comes off, because Brooks is ending about the same time and obviously the influence of his own Dad.

If we don't go for or get N Cleary, the "Dad threat" forces Penrith to pony up substantially to keep him, arguably more than normal.

If N Cleary declines, we potentially have a shot at him on the cheap, to work with his Dad and get his game back on track.

Usually the trouble with sons of coaches is the sons aren't that good and the coach Dads bring them through - Scott Fulton, Jarrod Anderson etc.

Roar Power
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Roar Power » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 1:11 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 12:54 pm
We really cannot lose. If N Cleary keeps developing we are box-seat to offer a strong contract when he next comes off, because Brooks is ending about the same time and obviously the influence of his own Dad.

If we don't go for or get N Cleary, the "Dad threat" forces Penrith to pony up substantially to keep him, arguably more than normal.

If N Cleary declines, we potentially have a shot at him on the cheap, to work with his Dad and get his game back on track.

Usually the trouble with sons of coaches is the sons aren't that good and the coach Dads bring them through - Scott Fulton, Jarrod Anderson etc.
I wouldn't think we will get him on the cheap. We may have the pulling card in Ivan but he will be paid market.

TheBusDriver
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by TheBusDriver » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 2:38 pm

Brooks only signed for 2 years (should be off contract by end of 2019. On a cheap contract for a half back too.

By 2019 Brooks will want a bigger contract allowing us to let him pursue that whilst we allow our man IVAN to get his boy to our proud club.

Smart move by the Clearys too.

Let Nathan learn under Maloney in a club already on the up and playing finals football whilst we fix our club up completely.

By 2019 we will be a force and i strongly believe have a culture that other teams will envy us for.
"The star of the team is the team"
- Ivan Cleary

:sign:

TYGA
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 47 times

Unread post by TYGA » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 4:10 pm

It’s very odd a coach of Ivan’s stature would make these statements without knowing the outcome. I didn’t think he would say what he said unless he is signing him.
There is no other way to read it.

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 5:30 pm

TheBusDriver wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 2:38 pm
Brooks only signed for 2 years (should be off contract by end of 2019. On a cheap contract for a half back too.

By 2019 Brooks will want a bigger contract allowing us to let him pursue that whilst we allow our man IVAN to get his boy to our proud club.

Smart move by the Clearys too.

Let Nathan learn under Maloney in a club already on the up and playing finals football whilst we fix our club up completely.

By 2019 we will be a force and i strongly believe have a culture that other teams will envy us for.
I’ve heard this sooooo many times before. GAWD I hope it’s true this time! I’m quietly confident

Icon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Icon » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 6:03 pm

TYGA wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 4:10 pm
It’s very odd a coach of Ivan’s stature would make these statements without knowing the outcome. I didn’t think he would say what he said unless he is signing him.
There is no other way to read it.
I think everyone is reading this wrongly, he’s letting All suitors in the NRL know that for NC next contract, they come as a package. That spells trouble for the panthers, but it will give Brisbane and the roosters plenty of time to get their ducks in a row.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 337 times

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 6:08 pm

but Nathan is off contract IN 2020..Ivan is contracted FOR 2020...

Contact the Illuminati ..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 89 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 6:16 pm

Whether it happens or not.. it was a shrewd move by the WTs signing Brooks only until the coaches son comes off contract. It must have been discussed at the time at least between Cleary & Pascoe.
I remember Gus tableing along term contract for Nathan at
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

colmcd
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by colmcd » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 6:24 pm

Strange isn't it.

Every commentator can recognise here that Penrith brought Maloney in to mentor Cleary.

West Tigers instead, fired Benji (ok not the best mentor for a halfback) and kept three inexperienced players playing together with only Farah to lead them.

then I remember we did get a good halfback to mentor our incoming halves. But I don't think Kimmorley did much at training with them. Either way our biggest mistake was putting three rookies together to learn off each other.

Tigerdon

Unread post by Tigerdon » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 6:25 pm

Sorry about the mid sentence cut off. There was a whale doing a backflip near the ferry on my way home, Just off South Head.
Wow that was epic

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 6:32 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 6:25 pm
Sorry about the mid sentence cut off. There was a whale doing a backflip near the ferry on my way home, Just off South Head.
Wow that was epic
Was it's name DCE or Teddy...
Ivan's Laws

Tiger Watto wrote:
Geo nailed it...

teddy23
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by teddy23 » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 6:48 pm

Not sure if it's been posted or not but this article along with the other one I posted earlier..... gives us a big insight on the level of interest the tigers have for acquiring Nathan Cleary

Tue 14 Nov, 2017, 6:00pm
Cleary's desire to coach son Nathan
Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary says he is happy for son Nathan to be playing at the Panthers... for now. Credit: Grant Trouville. Copyright: NRL Photos.
Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary has openly expressed a desire to coach his son Nathan at some stage of his burgeoning NRL career.

In an exclusive interview with NRL.com, Cleary stressed the Tigers are not devising any plans to extricate Nathan from Penrith to the Concord-based club.

But the 46-year-old was also not hiding the fact he wanted to work with his son in the future.

Nathan Cleary, who turned 20 this week, is contracted to the Panthers until the end of 2019. The pair have already discussed the possibilities from then onwards.

“Basically we’re both coming to the opinion that we’d like to play together. It’s just a question of timing really,” Cleary Snr said.

“He’s still got two years to go at the Panthers and I think that’s good for him. He’s not in a hurry to decide that, but we both realise that this situation is a pretty unique opportunity.

AdRecommendations powered by plista
“I was always conscious of never wanting to put him in a position that compromises him being up front.

“But the further (his career) is going I’m getting more confident it won’t be a problem. But we’re not thinking about it too much right now. Probably in 12 months time it will be more relevant.”

From November 1, 2018, Nathan will be free to talk with other clubs, a situation now facing another of the game’s rising stars - South Sydney forward Angus Crichton.

Crichton is off contract after the 2018 season and his manager is already fielding offers from at least two clubs in addition to the one on the table at Redfern.

Cleary topped the NRL in points last season with 228 (11 tries; 92 goals), well ahead of Dally M Medal winner Cameron Smith (192).

Cleary also led the NRL for kicks in play with 324, 37 clear of runner-up Mitchell Pearce. He was also the Panthers’ leading try scorer, beating Kiwis winger Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (nine), Matt Moylan and Tyrone Peachey (eight each).

A reunion of the Clearys at the one NRL club would mean the first father-son combination since John and Martin Lang at Cronulla and Penrith (2002-04). Chris and Jarrad Anderson also linked at the Sharks in 2003.

Cleary Snr is preparing for his first full NRL season as coach since 2015. He was sacked by the Panthers in October of that year – eight months before Nathan made his NRL debut.

The young halfback will have a new scrum-base partner in Cronulla premiership-winning five-eighth James Maloney, who is finalising a three-year deal with the Panthers from 2018.

Ivan Cleary is more than comfortable with the 31-year-old representative star playing a crucial role in Nathan’s development.

“A week is a long time in rugby league but a year is an age. So it’s a really good thing for Nathan to work with someone like Jimmy. I’m very happy with that,” he said.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 6:57 pm

Hope we are talking to this bloke...Angus Crichton.
Ivan's Laws

Tiger Watto wrote:
Geo nailed it...

colmcd
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by colmcd » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 7:02 pm

The_Doc wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 4:24 pm
Telltails wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 3:17 pm
The_Doc wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 2:09 pm
Telltails wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 6:41 am
Not sure what Ivans relationship with Gould is really like. After the way Gould made his sacking a public affair, not sure he would be so supportive of Goud trying to tie up the services of his son long-term.
Nathan appears to have a great relationship with his father, and the actions of the great Gus may come back to bite him on the butt with this one.
I'm almost positive Gould mentioned in commentary that he travelled to the game with Ivan when we played at Campbeltown, not the last game but the game before that. So your not going to sit in a car with someone when you dont need too, so i assume their relationship is at least semi friendly.
Truth be known Doc I wouldn't have a clue what level of friendship they have, all assumption on my part - maybe even a bit of wishful thinkng.
Nor would i mate apart from that snippet i heard during the commentary as i said, i would have assumed there would be some sour grapes there from Cleary i dont know anyone who happily gets the sack, he might be the exception to the rule :lol:
From a mate who worked at Panthers, Gould treats people like crap. Ok anyone non Rugby league just get treated like inhuman underlings. Rugby league staff slightly better. People walked away from Gould for a good reason... He is very very hard to deal with.

That being said I could see Gould maintaining a friendship with Cleary. He did bring the guy in, he has continued to train his son and they have both worked together. Looking at Griffin's performance, he did punch a little above his weight in the finals. Penrith should have been a writeoff... they made it without a key star in Moylan. That being said I reckon Gould is thinking Griffin is about as good as Cleary and he may poach Cleary back when his contract is up here.

wt00
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 70 times

Unread post by wt00 » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 7:03 pm

Get Angus Crichton over to concord and Nathan Cleary ofc...
Last edited by wt00 on Wed 15 Nov, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The star of the team is the team.

Pawsandclaws
Been liked: 53 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 7:08 pm

I think Cleary is just being honest. How would he be viewed if he said nah I don't want to work with him in the future?

Tigerdon

Unread post by Tigerdon » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 8:45 pm

Been catching this boat for the last 20 years. I've seen whales, dolphins,sharks, seals in the harbour before. Haven't seen one go that high though.
It looked pretty happy, so DCE after his 10 year high rollers deal.
Probably a Yes voter. Whales are so left wing.

Return to “Player Contract Rumours & Discussion”