Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

mightymagpie
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Unread post by mightymagpie » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 4:58 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 11:51 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 9:54 am
mightymagpie wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 3:25 am
I think some of you are a bit harsh on Kev. I think he showed improvement under Cleary and filled in well when Teddy was unavailable.
Not sure he’ll be a week to week starter in NRL but definitely a good depth player.
As for Fonua he’s got plenty to prove. Yes he played well at the Storm and was a standout in ESL but there’s not too many star ESL backs in recent years that have made it in NRL. Think Hardaker, Tomkins, Crooks....
You are comparing Poms who have come over here to a guy who started his career as an NRL player and proved himself. Terrible comparison.
Crooks was a forward for England, Wests and Brisbane. A very, very good player.
You’re talking about Lee Crooks. I remember him playing for Wests. Didn’t know he played for Balmain or Brisbane. Ben Crooks I think is his son. Signed for Parra a few years ago and I’m not sure he even played any NRL games. But he’s a back and was Man of Steel in ESL before signing with Parra.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 206 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 4:59 pm

mightymagpie wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 4:55 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
mightymagpie wrote:
I think some of you are a bit harsh on Kev. I think he showed improvement under Cleary and filled in well when Teddy was unavailable.
Not sure he’ll be a week to week starter in NRL but definitely a good depth player.
As for Fonua he’s got plenty to prove. Yes he played well at the Storm and was a standout in ESL but there’s not too many star ESL backs in recent years that have made it in NRL. Think Hardaker, Tomkins, Crooks....
You are comparing Poms who have come over here to a guy who started his career as an NRL player and proved himself. Terrible comparison.
I wasn’t comparing Fonua to those guys as much as comparing someone who has made it in ESL doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll be successful here.
I agree those guys are Poms who never played here before but they were Men Of Steel - supposedly their best.
And I agree that Fonua has played well for the Storm in the past. Hope that puts him in good stead and he makes an impact for us.
As you said though, Fonua has played well. He chalked up over 50 games with the best side of the modern era. He's not in the same scenario as the other players you mentioned.

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by 851 » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 5:18 pm

mightymagpie wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 4:58 pm
magpiecol wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 11:51 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
mightymagpie wrote:
Crooks was a forward for England, Wests and Brisbane. A very, very good player.
You’re talking about Lee Crooks. I remember him playing for Wests. Didn’t know he played for Balmain or Brisbane. Ben Crooks I think is his son. Signed for Parra a few years ago and I’m not sure he even played any NRL games. But he’s a back and was Man of Steel in ESL before signing with Parra.
Lee Crooks was a prop you are right, played for Wests then Balmain, not Brisbane.
Go hard or go home

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 45 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 5:54 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 4:26 pm
I’ve shed my kids blood - he fell down the stairs of the Keith Barnes stand as a toddler because I was too busy watching the game!! About 18 years ago now.
Similarly, My youngest son did his ankle playing footy on the hill. I had to piggyback him all the way back to the car, parked near the old Moby Disk. He did it before halftime, kept playing and then claimed he couldn't work at full time. Was fine when we got home. He is 18 now still gets a laugh out of it and at the end of each LO game says "give us a piggy back back to the car Dad".

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 8:08 pm

Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 5:54 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 4:26 pm
I’ve shed my kids blood - he fell down the stairs of the Keith Barnes stand as a toddler because I was too busy watching the game!! About 18 years ago now.
Similarly, My youngest son did his ankle playing footy on the hill. I had to piggyback him all the way back to the car, parked near the old Moby Disk. He did it before halftime, kept playing and then claimed he couldn't work at full time. Was fine when we got home. He is 18 now still gets a laugh out of it and at the end of each LO game says "give us a piggy back back to the car Dad".
Great memories hey! My boys are now 16 and 19. Going to the footy together is something I really treasure and I hope we do it forever.

will1999
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by will1999 » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 10:21 pm

Tigers sign Valintine Holmes

Tacky
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Tacky » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 10:26 pm

will1999 wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 10:21 pm
Why would you do that to me? I almost had a heart attack.
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 86 times

Unread post by willow » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 10:30 pm

will1999 wrote:
1. Learn to spell
2. Don't post spam

magpiecol
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by magpiecol » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 10:34 pm

willow wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 10:30 pm
will1999 wrote:
1. Learn to spell
2. Don't post spam
Add punctuation!!

:oops:

colmcd
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by colmcd » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 10:43 pm

TigerSJ wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 2:13 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
Thu 16 Nov, 2017 7:29 pm
Russell wrote:
Thu 16 Nov, 2017 5:51 pm
Snake wrote:
Thu 16 Nov, 2017 3:31 pm
The only reason Kevie boy is still at the club is he could not get a better offer.. the club has been shopping him around for ages ,this puts in perspective where he rates in the pecking order.
His contract was up - why did they need to shop him. "We are not renewing your contract" is all the Tigers management needed to say.

Therefore they must have thought this guy is a keeper and they did.
I really think a player like Kev is great to have around the club. He's seems a jovial and inspiring type of bloke and he will be good for team morale. I know he's not the most talented player to have in our backline, but he can sometimes do remarkable things on the field (albeit not often enough) and you know he will always give 100% for the team. His experience from the World Cup will also be a benefit. Defence, his biggest weakness, improved a fair bit under Cleary at the back end of last season, as has the defensive structure of the whole team.

All that said, I don't have Kev in my top 17 for the start of the year, but I am happy that we still have him around. Having a player of Kev's ability come in as a replacement for an injured winger/centre/fullback is a good position for us to be in, certainly compared to previous seasons when second rowers or inexperienced youngsters were all we had to fill when a player went down. I've no doubt he will play some first grade with us next season, even if he isn't there all the time and I'm not upset about that.
100% Spud -
Also I just want to say I've only been a true Tigers fan for 55 years - but I like Kev, how could you not?
(By the way, he's not in my first 17 either).
So we have a problem.
11 backs and only 7 places.
Lolohea, Nofo, Suli, Marsters, Founa, Reynolds and Brooks.
Ok that leaves out:
Thompson, Milne, Kev, MWZ (who cares) Marshall! Someone is going to be on the bench. I am guessing Marshall. In fact Marshall was one of the last signings and probably threw us out... Still the right decision.

We could move Marsters to the front row, there is still competition but less competition. That puts Milne in the centers and Thompson on 18th man duty with Marshall being 17, which means.

I am expecting one of these new signings to WALK first transfer window they can get. Milne will want to start and should, Founa I am looking forward too and Thompson may work well. I don't really want to loose Nofo, I think he does a decent job. But all of them are not guaranteed starting material.

So hoping we pick the best of the bunch before we get raided.

Pawsandclaws
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 7:04 am

colmcd wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 10:43 pm
TigerSJ wrote:
Spud Murphy wrote:
Russell wrote:
Thu 16 Nov, 2017 5:51 pm

His contract was up - why did they need to shop him. "We are not renewing your contract" is all the Tigers management needed to say.

Therefore they must have thought this guy is a keeper and they did.
I really think a player like Kev is great to have around the club. He's seems a jovial and inspiring type of bloke and he will be good for team morale. I know he's not the most talented player to have in our backline, but he can sometimes do remarkable things on the field (albeit not often enough) and you know he will always give 100% for the team. His experience from the World Cup will also be a benefit. Defence, his biggest weakness, improved a fair bit under Cleary at the back end of last season, as has the defensive structure of the whole team.

All that said, I don't have Kev in my top 17 for the start of the year, but I am happy that we still have him around. Having a player of Kev's ability come in as a replacement for an injured winger/centre/fullback is a good position for us to be in, certainly compared to previous seasons when second rowers or inexperienced youngsters were all we had to fill when a player went down. I've no doubt he will play some first grade with us next season, even if he isn't there all the time and I'm not upset about that.
100% Spud -
Also I just want to say I've only been a true Tigers fan for 55 years - but I like Kev, how could you not?
So we have a problem.
Ok that leaves out:
Thompson, Milne, Kev, MWZ (who cares) Marshall! Someone is going to be on the bench. I am guessing Marshall. In fact Marshall was one of the last signings and probably threw us out... Still the right decision.

We could move Marsters to the front row, there is still competition but less competition. That puts Milne in the centers and Thompson on 18th man duty with Marshall being 17, which means.

I am expecting one of these new signings to WALK first transfer window they can get. Milne will want to start and should, Founa I am looking forward too and Thompson may work well. I don't really want to loose Nofo, I think he does a decent job. But all of them are not guaranteed starting material.

Fonua will get carved up in the NRL with the defence he exhibited for Tonga. In fact, Had Suli been fit Fonua would not have been called into the squad. Needs to go to ISP to work on his defence.

softlaw
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by softlaw » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 7:16 am

How is having depth (probably for the first time ever as a club) an issue?
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

TYGA
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by TYGA » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 8:28 am

Our depth is good. Fonua is a winger he is a huge man and struggled with changing direction laterally. We have some real power though Milne, Suli, Nofa, Marsters, Fonua are all beasts.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 62 times

Unread post by old man tiger » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 10:57 am

I think all of these guys, except maybe Thompson, will see FG for sure this year.

Donald Trump
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Donald Trump » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 1:00 pm

Kev won’t see first grade because he is lame
Let's make the Tigers great again!

Tacky
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Tacky » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 3:54 pm

:idea:
David Fusitua? Signed until the end of 2019 but, would be invaluable for us.
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

tig_prmz
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 5:21 pm

Tacky wrote:
Sat 18 Nov, 2017 3:54 pm
:idea:
David Fusitua? Signed until the end of 2019 but, would be invaluable for us.
he's been the best winger in the WC. he's exactly what we need. cmon cleary make it happen :pray:
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

magpiecol
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by magpiecol » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 5:57 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sat 18 Nov, 2017 7:04 am
colmcd wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 10:43 pm
TigerSJ wrote:
Spud Murphy wrote:

100% Spud -
So we have a problem.
Ok that leaves out:

Fonua will get carved up in the NRL with the defence he exhibited for Tonga. In fact, Had Suli been fit Fonua would not have been called into the squad. Needs to go to ISP to work on his defence.
You are a good judge if you can say the above after only ONE game.

Bit of bias me thinks.

:bash

Return to “Player Contract Rumours & Discussion”