Yes - Answer to our Problems at any cost
41%
No - Over rated for the Price
59%

Total votes: 119

Snake

NC worth a Million

Post by Snake » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 6:52 am

Is NC worth a Million a season out of our cap ? After watching the three Origins and most games Penrith play I certainly would not be paying that amount to sign him. Yes a solid player but certainly not the X factor ,I would be spending the money first on building a dominate forward pack and a class 5/8.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 7:00 am

Needed a poll so I added it ...should be interesting..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Snake

Post by Snake » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 7:04 am

I voted No but would have him for less money as a very solid player and great attitude but No for a Million.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 7:07 am

I don’t think the Poll questions sum up the title query.
He is far from overrated, and far from the only answer to all our problems.
I think 800,000 to 850,000 is fair. Don’t believe Penrith will pay much more than that for now.
I’d be surprised if his on much more than 350,000 at the moment.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 7:14 am

No, he isn't overrated, but not worth that amount of money, but he can't control a game and we already have one of those. Freddy even mentioned it last night during the game that Cleary struggles to find his voice.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 7:18 am

Unless we improve our pack we could have Johns and Thurston in their prime and still get smashed. A couple of origin/international forwards would be money better spent.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 7:21 am

Needaname wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 7:07 am
I don’t think the Poll questions sum up the title query.
He is far from overrated, and far from the only answer to all our problems.
I think 800,000 to 850,000 is fair. Don’t believe Penrith will pay much more than that for now.
I’d be surprised if his on much more than 350,000 at the moment.
fair enough changed it a bit..

The thing is though the $1M + price tag is what he will command ..the next Club will pay it..
Ivan's Laws

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 7:43 am

Be interesting to see how Cleary goes without Maloney beside him. Maloney makes him, imo. He takes the pressure off him having to control a game. That said, he seems to have a cool head so he may well be capable of taking hold of a game and not resorting to Hail Mary plays when the team is down, but he needs to find his voice as Fittler said.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 7:51 am

I thought he was more dominant last year at the Panthers but that probably is because Maloney has really taken over. Not sure having Maloney beside him both at club level and in the SOO has been good for his individual development because Maloney is naturally a dominant player - and Cleary has definitely taken a back seat.
You cant discount his return from a major injury though either.
St George payed a mill for Ben Hunt so Cleary at the very least will command the same but put him behind a dud pack then you will be wasting your investment.
Cleary senior would know that better than anyone so if we dont seriously start strengthening our pack, cant see Nathan signing with us anytime soon

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 7:55 am

I think it was Gus who said last night in the commentary that NC lacks a voice and struggles with giving orders.

Something that brooks has been accused of as well.

I would rather we signed a decent pack and a Maloney type half to partner brooks.

Im now not so sure about a Brooks/Cleary partnership. Maybe with some gun outside backs it will work.

bbobb

Post by bbobb » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 8:12 am

If NC is to be paid as a top draw halfback at 1M per year, is he as good as other halfbacks on that coin? I am not sure at this stage of his career and I wouldn’t be comfortable paying that sort of money for potential. At this stage, I would put him in the Mitchell Pearce category - very good at club level but has yet to dominate at the very highest level (although Pearce led chooks to a premiership).

Anyway, as someone else said, we are wasting our time and money buying an elite halfback when we don’t have the forwards yet to take advantage of their skills.

Perhaps the question is how much would you pay for Marty Tapau and Tyson Frizelle?

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 8:20 am

He’s still a kid, but will only get better, he has the talent and temperate to be a lot better than most
He may not be worth that much at the moment, but that’s probably what it will take to get him,
His big thing is that he seldom makes stupid mistakes such as our overrated two were prone to.
The experience that he’s getting this season is invaluable.
He’s played 3 Origins, there’ll be games in the finals, and possibly a GF , more than some players will ever have in one season ,and he’s
Handled it easily so far.
To expect him to be smashing an Origin game is completely unreasonable.
I doubt that any Half in the game could have done much better in that first half last night

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 8:52 am

If Brooks is on $550k I'd pay Cleary around $650k because I think he's better than Brooks but not that much better. I don't watch many games other than Wests Tigers so I've had to judge him on 3 SOO games. To be honest I was really disappointed in his attacking game in all 3 Origin games.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 9:03 am

How many games have we lost this year due to poor goal kicking?
I think that someone that kicks at I the high 80% is nearly worth that money, just or his goal kicking.
I don't think that he s the total answer to our problems, but whether he could attract any other elite players here.
We need a prop, a second rower, and a strike centre.

hsvjones

Post by hsvjones » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 9:11 am

Remember he is young and the experiences he has got so far is amazing.. Playing SOO and with Maloney each week will help him. Plus he can kick goals and has a great read of the game with great cover defense.
Yes for me as you know he will keep working hard to improve with a good head on his shoulders... SIGN HIM up now.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 9:19 am

hsvjones wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 9:11 am
Remember he is young and the experiences he has got so far is amazing.. Playing SOO and with Maloney each week will help him. Plus he can kick goals and has a great read of the game with great cover defense.
Yes for me as you know he will keep working hard to improve with a good head on his shoulders... SIGN HIM up now.
Strategically it would be great for the club to sign him up....It would keep both the Cleary's at the club for a long, long time....something we badly need stability..NC will be a great halfback...in about 4-5 years time

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 9:28 am

Wests Tigers needs to spend their money only in areas where where it's needed. The club doesn't need another halfback especially one taking a big slice of our remaining. CAP. What the club needs to buy with their remaining CAP space are two quality second rowers and two quality centres. Have them signed before the start of the 2019 season and the club can continue its improvement towards a top 8 side at least.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 9:30 am

tigerap wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 9:19 am
hsvjones wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 9:11 am
Strategically it would be great for the club to sign him up....It would keep both the Cleary's at the club for a long, long time....something we badly need stability..NC will be a great halfback...in about 4-5 years time

Is that similar to Sheens type stability..?
Ivan's Laws