Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

avocadoontoast

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Post by avocadoontoast » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:43 pm

Russell wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:34 pm
As we already have Packer and I think he is going well (still think he is playing injured) but despite that - no I wouldn't swap him for Taupau.

I would keep Packer and take Taupau or swap Huth for him (as I said).

Packer and Taupau are different types of Front rowers in my opinion, Packer is better for what we are doing now - but I would't say no to Taupau if he wanted to come to us for a reasonable figure (would not pay overs though).
Yes they are completely different types of front rowers, I agree. One plays big minutes, makes huge metres and breaks heaps of tackles. The other one doesn't.

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:46 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
foreveratiger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:40 am
yeti wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:32 am
foreveratiger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:18 am

Would love Marty back , straight swap with Russel Packer would be fine with me.
Keep them both! Big Russell would be much better with another big angry man beside him.
Sauaso Sue is starting to find some nice form , not sure if it's got to do with playing for a Contract ? but him and Twal are a nice rotation for us .
I don't mind Packer but i've watched him closely this year and seems very lazy at times and gets gassed quite quickly . If it came to it i would much rather Marty but i don't think he would be coming to us anyway .
The word on here the last week has been that he's already signed with Parra. If true, you can't accuse him of only playing for a contract. Which i don't think is the case. He's been one of our best forwards for a long time, till he started struggling with HIA's. Suddenly he gets over them and is tearing it up again. I'll be very disappointed with the club if they chose not to retain him, or didn't try hard enough.
He doesn't fit our style of front rower, he makes too many metres.

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:58 pm

avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:43 pm
Russell wrote:
As we already have Packer and I think he is going well (still think he is playing injured) but despite that - no I wouldn't swap him for Taupau.

Packer and Taupau are different types of Front rowers in my opinion, Packer is better for what we are doing now - but I would't say no to Taupau if he wanted to come to us for a reasonable figure (would not pay overs though).
Yes they are completely different types of front rowers, I agree. One plays big minutes, makes huge metres and breaks heaps of tackles. The other one doesn't.
No the other one doesen't do that. The other one turns the worst defensive side in the comp into one of the best. The other one makes no errors and doesen't give away penalties. The other one is the guy putting pressure on the kicker, the other one is always up their on kick chase, the other one is always backing up in defence and scrambling, the other one lets his wingers do the showy stuff while he holds the line.

Would I take Packer or Taupau - Packer

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 1:08 pm

Boonboon2 wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:58 pm
avocadoontoast wrote:
Russell wrote:

No the other one doesen't do that. The other one turns the worst defensive side in the comp into one of the best. The other one makes no errors and doesen't give away penalties. The other one is the guy putting pressure on the kicker, the other one is always up their on kick chase, the other one is always backing up in defence and scrambling, the other one lets his wingers do the showy stuff while he holds the line.

Fair enough. I don't think they're even in the same league personally, but each to their own.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 1:27 pm

Rhyse Martin re-signs with bulldogs. One year deal.
No more plodders!
:sign:

weststigerman

Post by weststigerman » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 1:37 pm

avocadoontoast wrote:
Russell wrote:

You do realise this is not NFL, and attack is only about 50% of the game right?

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 1:54 pm

weststigerman wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 1:37 pm
avocadoontoast wrote:
Russell wrote:

Attack is only 50% of NFL games too..hence the offence and the defence.... you knew that right?

Taupau and Packer make around the same tackles per game so not sure what your point is exactly? The only difference is that Taupau does it over longer minutes and during that time runs for almost 100m more per game.

In a badly beaten team on the weekend, in 54 mins Taupau ran for 145m, 12 hitups and made 28 tackles, 1 missed. Packer played for 37 minutes for 65m, 9 hitups and made 22 tackles, for 4 missed.

????

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 2:25 pm

Boonboon2 wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:58 pm
avocadoontoast wrote:
Russell wrote:

X2

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 2:27 pm

avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 1:54 pm
weststigerman wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:
Russell wrote:

Attack is only 50% of NFL games too..hence the offence and the defence.... you knew that right?

Taupau and Packer make around the same tackles per game so not sure what your point is exactly? The only difference is that Taupau does it over longer minutes and during that time runs for almost 100m more per game.

In a badly beaten team on the weekend, in 54 mins Taupau ran for 145m, 12 hitups and made 28 tackles, 1 missed. Packer played for 37 minutes for 65m, 9 hitups and made 22 tackles, for 4 missed.

????
Packers team won well, Taupau's team was thrashed - that is the difference.

To each his own Avo, to each his own.

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 2:35 pm

Russell wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 2:27 pm
avocadoontoast wrote:
weststigerman wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:

????
I didn't think you'd ever make a comment as ridiculous as when you said Lolohea>RTS, but you have. Congratulations.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 2:46 pm

avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:58 am
Russell wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:57 am
avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:47 am
Russell wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:16 am

Don't think so - swap for the Huth maybe.
So you reckon Packer is better than Marty?
Read the post correctly - I want both.
Would you swap Packer for Taupau if given the opportunity?
If I can have my penny worth on this one please ....

NO!

cochise

Post by cochise » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 2:51 pm

avocadoontoast wrote:
weststigerman wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:
Russell wrote:

????
In this situation you are relying to heavily on stats to make you assessment, I would have Taupau back in a heartbeat but not at the expense of Packer.

Packer has been the glue that holds our defense together, it's not the amount of tackles its the quality and starch he brings to the defensive line. It not something I can pull out stats and show you its something you have to see. We have gone from being an extremely poor defensive unit to being one of the best in 12 months, Packer is a big reason for that. He is obviously a huge leader in our pack and the other players are also defending hard in an effort to not let him down, our younger forwards look to him for approval of a job well done.

I'm saying that from a person who didn't want our club to sign him due to mistakes he has made in the past.

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 2:56 pm

cochise wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 2:51 pm
avocadoontoast wrote:
weststigerman wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:

????
In this situation you are relying to heavily on stats to make you assessment, I would have Taupau back in a heartbeat but not at the expense of Packer.

Packer has been the glue that holds our defense together, it's not the amount of tackles its the quality and starch he brings to the defensive line. It not something I can pull out stats and show you its something you have to see. We have gone from being an extremely poor defensive unit to being one of the best in 12 months, Packer is a big reason for that. He is obviously a huge leader in our pack and the other players are also defending hard in an effort to not let him down, our younger forwards look to him for approval of a job well done.

I'm saying that from a person who didn't want our club to sign him due to mistakes he has made in the past.
I thought Packer was great at the beginning of the season but has been disappointing over the last 8 games or so. It’s similar to what happened last year at saints. Was good at the start, declined as the season went on.

Even at his best, wouldn’t swap Packer for Taupau. I think Taupau is one of the premier forwards in the game and I don’t think Packer is.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 2:59 pm

Taupau is all flash with little substance.

cochise

Post by cochise » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 3:05 pm

avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 2:56 pm
cochise wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 2:51 pm
avocadoontoast wrote:
weststigerman wrote:

????

I thought Packer was great at the beginning of the season but has been disappointing over the last 8 games or so. It’s similar to what happened last year at saints. Was good at the start, declined as the season went on.

Even at his best, wouldn’t swap Packer for Taupau. I think Taupau is one of the premier forwards in the game and I don’t think Packer is.
I agree with part of your statement, I think he has struggled a little since coming back from his injury but have seen improvements the last 2 weeks.

We do lack that really damaging runner of the ball that Taupau would bring to us, the type of player that knocks people out of the way in the impact of the collision. I just wouldn't give up out starch in defense to get it.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 3:36 pm

Its all academic, Marty T will end up at a team with a massive cap, not the normal one given out to most teams in the NRL. Of course Manly might not let him go, things don't look that bright at present for the Brookvale boys

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 3:43 pm

avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 2:35 pm
Russell wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 2:27 pm
avocadoontoast wrote:
weststigerman wrote:

????
I didn't think you'd ever make a comment as ridiculous as when you said Lolohea>RTS, but you have. Congratulations.
In fairness to Russ, and in support of what others are saying, I think Russell means there is more to playing prop than just metres gained and tackles made. There is a finesse to it and there are contributions that players make that aren't purely capture on run metres and tackles.

For example how many tackles are first-man in, how fast were the corresponding PTBs, how many players placed on their back, how many tackles made mid-field vs on the goal-line, how many tackles made in a row etc. Taupau for instance played 17 more minutes than Packer, so he should be expected to make at least as many if not more tackles.

Taupau plays in a forward pack containing some quality players - Jake Turbo; Thompson and Addin F-B are pretty good. Bit weak on the bench. Taupau clearly played a good hand by himself but his team was still lapped.

So were Manly lapped because Taupau does not contribute in the way Manly need him most, or were they lapped in spite of his contributions?

People used to make the very same argument about Aaron Woods in his Tigers stints.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 4:00 pm

This place is getting dumber..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..