Depth for next season

Flippedy

Re: Depth for next season

Post by Flippedy » Tue 04 Sep, 2012 10:03 pm

Geez there's not much on offer now is there? If Sheens is serious about bolstering our depth with some decent signings, he must be thinking of poaching from overseas.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Wed 05 Sep, 2012 1:09 am

no point buying sezer when u have miller.. nyway there is no point in either of them being in the halves, benji will always be the commander

...hopefully anasta sigh

depth.. hmm, we have depth 2-5. need a keating kinda guy in the halves, jarrod sammut LOL.
props.. like the 2 mentioned, masoe and lama tasi sound goood. need props with mongrel.

im thinking one mongrel 2nd rower too, but we have blair and im still hoping that he brings aggression to the team. bmm fits that bill but depends on if sheens thinks he's ready.
sirronen to me is a 2nd rower, he will play his best football there, dont put him on unless he's ready.
no need for 2nd rowers. fulton, heighno, bmm, blair, petty, thompson, coupla NYC's, dwyer ? :pray:

wingers: ryan, koro first choice, nofo and utai back up
centres: lawrence, aysh, reddy, thompson --> covered imo

fullback: teddy, humble, moltzen <-- in that order... are the nyc guys close to ready?

ok to sum up:
at least a couple of mongrel, aggressive hard nut props for impact.. re sign moors, bell for depth
2nd string halfback, for depth..

11. fulton
12. bmm
13. blair.. :pray:

14. *insert prop*
15. eddy/heighno
16. bell
17. humble/thompson
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 05 Sep, 2012 5:26 am

If Sheens is still here at seasons start it won't matter how much depth we have

He will underutilize it or not utilize it at all or use it in a way it hasn't been used previously

Another recipe for disaster in 2013

MightyMaggy

Post by MightyMaggy » Wed 05 Sep, 2012 5:42 am

1/4 chicken,chips wrote:yeah me too willow , has to be a gee up .
aiden sezer would be a sensational buy , i cant believe the gc would allow him to be on the open market . hes a good Bankstown boy and he would fit in well at Wests. but dont hold your breath.
Sheens has his halves covered in anasta , marshall,sironen, moltzen.
But didn't Tim say we lacked depth this year?

Scorcher

Post by Scorcher » Wed 05 Sep, 2012 7:34 am

We could probably sign a couple more Rugby Union players who have never played league before, we usually do.

Scorcher

Post by Scorcher » Wed 05 Sep, 2012 7:37 am

We don't have depth because any of the young blokes that are any good have to go elsewhere for an opportunity. We had the chance to blood a few of the NYC team this year who are in their last year of 20's but instead looked elsewhere. This is the one thing that Sheens needs to change, you know for what's sake give some young blokes a go during the year.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Wed 05 Sep, 2012 7:45 am

We need to wait until probably mid-January before we will know if there are any new recruits coming...

I can see a few 'deals' during the off season coming up!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Tiger_Al

Post by Tiger_Al » Wed 05 Sep, 2012 7:59 am

Bring me Russell Packer... big bloke who likes the hard stuff.

you know who

Post by you know who » Wed 05 Sep, 2012 9:03 am

i think joel moon is currently playing in the queensland cup

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Wed 05 Sep, 2012 9:37 am

Scorcher wrote:We don't have depth because any of the young blokes that are any good have to go elsewhere for an opportunity. We had the chance to blood a few of the NYC team this year who are in their last year of 20's but instead looked elsewhere. This is the one thing that Sheens needs to change, you know for what's sake give some young blokes a go during the year.
Apart from Tedesco, Sironen, Koroibete etc? I'm not sure where this idea comes from that Sheens never gives young guys a go. You can argue he plays favourites or some guys who deserve a shot don't get picked but Sheens doesn't seem shy about giving young players a run.

boonboon

Post by boonboon » Wed 05 Sep, 2012 10:29 am

I think the repeated comments about Sheens not bringing through young players is false.

From this Years u20s we have had
Tedesco - Started the season at fullback
Sironen- As soon as he was fit he was brought straight into the FG team
Groat - Started the Year in FG
Koroibete - Introduced into First Grade
Miller - Got a chance both last year and this year but hasn't stood up in FG or really U20s - also halfback are usally 21 before they make FG - Cheery Evans and Reynolds being the most recent examples

From last Years Team
Woods - Played last year and started this year
BMM - Played last year and in the full team most of this year
Simona - Got a few chances last yr and this yr and was solid but not exceptional

From the current U20s the only players likely to be a chance in future either still have at least another yr in U20s so are probably a bit too young and small - Santi, Lovett, Nofoaluma or in the case Foutika- played his best footy at the end of the yr and probably couldn't risk another prop.

Who else could have been given a run from the 20s - For mine no one makes the grade

Snake

Post by Snake » Wed 05 Sep, 2012 2:14 pm

happy tiger wrote:If Sheens is still here at seasons start it won't matter how much depth we have

He will underutilize it or not utilize it at all or use it in a way it hasn't been used previously

Another recipe for disaster in 2013
Quote of the week Sheens has to be moved on as any new signings will
Just be fodder for Sheens as it has been all these years.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Wed 05 Sep, 2012 2:24 pm

MightyMaggy wrote:
1/4 chicken,chips wrote:yeah me too willow , has to be a gee up .
aiden sezer would be a sensational buy , i cant believe the gc would allow him to be on the open market . hes a good Bankstown boy and he would fit in well at Wests. but dont hold your breath.
Sheens has his halves covered in anasta , marshall,sironen, moltzen.
But didn't Tim say we lacked depth this year?
He said that in September. 7months earlier he was saying that with the signings of Bell, Humble and Reddy we had never had such great depth. The Spin Doctor strikes again.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Scorcher

Post by Scorcher » Wed 05 Sep, 2012 3:05 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Scorcher wrote:We don't have depth because any of the young blokes that are any good have to go elsewhere for an opportunity. We had the chance to blood a few of the NYC team this year who are in their last year of 20's but instead looked elsewhere. This is the one thing that Sheens needs to change, you know for what's sake give some young blokes a go during the year.
Apart from Tedesco, Sironen, Koroibete etc? I'm not sure where this idea comes from that Sheens never gives young guys a go. You can argue he plays favourites or some guys who deserve a shot don't get picked but Sheens doesn't seem shy about giving young players a run.
I concede that he does give some a go but I am more talking positionally. If the hooker,half or fullback are injured Sheens will start shuffling the team instead of bringing up either the 20's or State Cup player who is their 1,7 or 9. Miller, Politoni are 2 of the best examples. He would rather stuff the whole team up than call up a player who should go straight into the top team. Miller should have been recalled during the season and Politoni should have come into hooker, Iosefa should never ever have been given the opportunity that he got here at the expense of our junior talent.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Wed 05 Sep, 2012 3:16 pm

Scorcher wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
I concede that he does give some a go but I am more talking positionally. If the hooker,half or fullback are injured Sheens will start shuffling the team instead of bringing up either the 20's or State Cup player who is their 1,7 or 9. Miller, Politoni are 2 of the best examples. He would rather stuff the whole team up than call up a player who should go straight into the top team. Miller should have been recalled during the season and Politoni should have come into hooker, Iosefa should never ever have been given the opportunity that he got here at the expense of our junior talent.
Agreed Scorcher look at Mullaney at the Eels he did a far better job than Moltz but never got a fair go here

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Wed 05 Sep, 2012 3:48 pm

The issue with Mullaney was surely that we had Tedesco coming into first grade. Anyway good luck to Jake.

WestsSupporter

Post by WestsSupporter » Wed 05 Sep, 2012 10:42 pm

Surely shifty Sheens is not done signing back rowers? Our strength lies in our bench. We must search for more 15 minute players, preferably if they have played a handful of NRL games a few years back.
Extremely frustrated fan. Try not to let my negativity get to you.