Could we be making way for a big name player?

mtd

Could we be making way for a big name player?

Post by mtd » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 10:33 pm

You would assume there would be some reasoning behind this clean out, but what?

Thurston is up for contract negotiations.... Imagine the tigers making an offer to him "play alongside Benji Marshall"... I'm positive he would think seriously about it. He is unable to play with him at State of Origin or International level. It's a mouth watering combination. I've heard JT talk about Benji and he is a massive fan.

This is pure speculation, but surely, we must be clearing the decks for someone... right? Also, would you cop the loss of Farah if we were to pick up JT?

clokan
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by clokan » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 10:35 pm

I wouldn't cop the loss of Farah for any player

Fraze23

Post by Fraze23 » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 10:36 pm

I wouldn't cop the loss of Farah for anyone. Robbie has carried this team for the last five years. As others have stated I'd also part ways Benji before Robbie.

Pierre M7

Post by Pierre M7 » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 10:36 pm

clokan wrote:I wouldn't cop the loss of Farah for any player
x2
"One flick and they're gone"

Chief44

Post by Chief44 » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 10:38 pm

if we loose farah, i will be spewing - even if it is to pick up JT. But I do get the impression that we are clearing the decks for a big name player. But we all know what happened last time we did that ala, Gibbs and Fafita for Blair
Orange White Black

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 10:52 pm

Doesn't have to be a big name

Just a quality 7 at the right price

I just can't see Benji and JT melding well anyway .... what the saying about too many chefs ......

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 10:54 pm

There is no way we could afford Thurston.

Bismark

Post by Bismark » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 10:59 pm

Thurston plays what he sees...we already have a player like that.

If anything, we need more structure in the halves. Doesn't have to be a great player (Look how Jeff Robson has complimented Carney), but it needs to be someone who is willing to speak up. Blooding juniors with Benji won't work, because Benji is the more experienced and he's Benji freaking Marshall.

Cronk would be the dream, but he's signed up. I think someone like Peter Wallace would work, I've heard several Broncos fans who aren't happy with him, and he is a structured, experienced half.

LaT

Post by LaT » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 11:02 pm

It would be nice if this was all for a purpose, but right now it just feels like the coach/board are incompetent fools and can't manage their way out of a paper bag.
TigPies till I die!

I say, I say I resemble that remark!

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 11:14 pm

LaT wrote:It would be nice if this was all for a purpose, but right now it just feels like the coach/board are incompetent fools and can't manage their way out of a paper bag.
And yet they manage to secure millions of dollars in sponsorship every year. I think you are selling them very short.

LaT

Post by LaT » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 11:19 pm

Tigersmurf wrote:
LaT wrote:It would be nice if this was all for a purpose, but right now it just feels like the coach/board are incompetent fools and can't manage their way out of a paper bag.
And yet they manage to secure millions of dollars in sponsorship every year. I think you are selling them very short.
And yet constantly screw up our salary cap? How many years in a row have we been pinged for breaches? And some years its been a significant amount too.

We are now into a yearly cycle of letting multiple players go and constant rejigging to ensure we can legally field a side, but still get breached.

I know its not a simple job, I couldn't do it. But these guys are meant to be capable and professional, and the last few years have shown worrying signs that they just aren't.
TigPies till I die!

I say, I say I resemble that remark!

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 11:51 pm

I would not like to loose either of our best players, and even signing JT or Slater would not justify it.

monkey

Post by monkey » Tue 18 Sep, 2012 12:11 am

Would love to see Shaun Johnson get a gig here . I would even try benji at fullback and have my spine as
1. Marshall
6.anasta
7. Johnson
9 farah

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 18 Sep, 2012 8:04 am

Todays decision backs you up The whole club is a basket case Move over Parramatta we are the new basket cases

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 18 Sep, 2012 8:09 am

Don't hold your breath.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Frank the tank

Post by Frank the tank » Tue 18 Sep, 2012 8:13 am

monkey wrote:Would love to see Shaun Johnson get a gig here . I would even try benji at fullback and have my spine as
1. Marshall
6.anasta
7. Johnson
9 farah

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
HE'S UNDER CONTRACT AND HE'S TOO MUCH OF THE OFF THE CUFF TOUCH FOOTY PLAYER BENJI IS. TWO OF THEM IN THE HALVES WOULD NOT WORK, THERE WOULD BE ZERO ORGANISATION AND STRUCTURE FOR THE REST OF THE TEAM
I'm not a complete idiot.............there are some pieces missing!

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Tue 18 Sep, 2012 8:38 am

The seasons 2010, 2011 when we managed to get in to the finals, who was our half back !! Coach Sheens at that time had great faith in Robert Lui, would it be worth giving him another go if he were available, because our main problem as I see it is the halves, and awful defence of course !

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Tue 18 Sep, 2012 9:07 am

What we need in a 7 is a straight-up, simple playermaker who calls the shots and guides the play so that Benji can do his thing. With 2 players like Benji and Thurston, I think they will choke eachother's space too much.

But we aren't clearing the decks, offloading Beau and Chris was because our salary cap is under pressure. And we are also thinking about Kite. Simply no money for a big name.

And we don't need a big name.
The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire