Official - Josh Reynolds Signs Megathread

Chicken Faced Killa

Re: Official - Josh Reynolds Signs Megathread

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 10:40 pm

What’s the difference if someone medically retires and someone retires money wise?

If a player decides to retire for any reason isn’t that the end of their contract and no money owed.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 11:27 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 03 Jul, 2018 8:27 pm
Lovely, some are already praying for a medical retirement...
Sad isn’t it..... :crazy

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 1:41 am

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Tue 03 Jul, 2018 10:40 pm
What’s the difference if someone medically retires and someone retires money wise?

If a player decides to retire for any reason isn’t that the end of their contract and no money owed.
If they medically retire the insurance company will pay out the remaining amount of their contract (after verifying it’s all legit)
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 6:05 am

steve-o wrote:
Wed 04 Jul, 2018 1:41 am

If they medically retire the insurance company will pay out the remaining amount of their contract (after verifying it’s all legit)
Which is why it is very difficult to get a medical retirement.Insurance companies like money coming in not being paid out(remember Happy Joe Happy in the NRMA ads years ago)

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 6:21 am

steve-o wrote:

So the only benefit is for the player who gets all of their money. If a player things there body isn’t up to it any more surely they retire regardless - getting a medical retirement and the extra money should just be a bonus.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 6:42 am

coivtny wrote:
Tue 03 Jul, 2018 8:51 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 03 Jul, 2018 8:39 pm
Bloke potentially gets a season-ending injury and I read 6 stupid posts about players being cooked and the silly idea of medically retiring someone who gets a new injury playing for us.

Might as well then medically retire Liddle, Jack Bird, Payne Haas, RFM, Tautau Moga, Curtis Siro, Michael Morgan, Dylan Edwards etc.
Your comment is spot on. The guy has been a little unlucky in my view and there's no way he'd be contemplating retirement,. I've only been a member of this forum for just over a year and I'm no psychologist but the mood here has become very depressed of late. Of course we're all unhappy with the results of late but some of the commentary here has become unhinged,

I wonder why :evil:

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 9:08 am

Wed 04 Jul, 2018 6:21 am
steve-o wrote:

So the only benefit is for the player who gets all of their money. If a player things there body isn’t up to it any more surely they retire regardless - getting a medical retirement and the extra money should just be a bonus.

If you can medically retire a player you don't carry the remaining length of the contract in the cap...If the player doesn't want to play on they don't have to retire Reynolds is only 28 ..quite within his rights to sit back and collect the cash..he's a competitor though can't see why he would..I watched the 360 piece don't see anything that implied he wants to retire..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Demps

Post by Demps » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 9:41 am

Geo. wrote:
Wed 04 Jul, 2018 9:08 am
steve-o wrote:

If you can medically retire a player you don't carry the remaining length of the contract in the cap...If the player doesn't want to play on they don't have to retire Reynolds is only 28 ..quite within his rights to sit back and collect the cash..he's a competitor though can't see why he would..I watched the 360 piece don't see anything that implied he wants to retire..

Agree.
Said he's waiting for news to see if he can play on this year or the seriousness of the injury...

Either way....
Damaged and we can't rely on him.
And we all knew he had issues.

What we SHOULD have done is:

- never of signed Reynolds
- fielded 6. Benji 7. Brooks which started strong in the early rounds
- locked down Josh Drinkwater for ISC and in case there was first grade injuries
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 9:49 am

steve-o wrote:

Yes the benefit is to the player but that's exactly why they sign up to long contracts - for the security in knowing that as long as they're doing everything they can to get out there and play they'll be getting their contracted amount for the X years of their contract. It's why clubs generally don't like long contracts and haggle hard to avoid the extra year or two that players often seek. This club however seems happy to offer that extra year (see Reynolds, Mbye, Packer, Matulino...)

Demps

Post by Demps » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 9:52 am

Nelson wrote:
Wed 04 Jul, 2018 9:49 am
steve-o wrote:

Yes the benefit is to the player but that's exactly why they sign up to long contracts - for the security in knowing that as long as they're doing everything they can to get out there and play they'll be getting their contracted amount for the X years of their contract. It's why clubs generally don't like long contracts and haggle hard to avoid the extra year or two that players often seek. This club however seems happy to offer that extra year (see Reynolds, Mbye, Packer, Matulino...)
You reckon Cleary is throwing in that extra year cos he doesn't care cos he'll be coaching his son at the roosters in 2020 anyway?

Scary.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 10:56 am

Harsh reality is it is a dud signing.

He is busted and was never a difference maker in the halves for mine.

Gutsy player but played his best footy when he was younger. Game has not evolved.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 4:21 pm

Eddie wrote:
Wed 04 Jul, 2018 10:56 am
Harsh reality is it is a dud signing.

He is busted and was never a difference maker in the halves for mine.

Gutsy player but played his best footy when he was younger. Game has not evolved.
OK can we save this comment and generally speaking this thread, and in a few years if Reynolds only plays 10 games a season for us then you are vindicated, and if he plays most games of the remaining contract will you reconsider that calling a 29 y.o. footballer "busted" in the first year of their contract is a bit over the top.

Before this season, Reynolds has not played less than 17 games in any season since his debut. It's not as if he has a long history of injuries and breakdowns.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 5:06 pm

Reynolds can retire himself but that means he doesn’t get paid. If he gets medically retired Insurance pays if approved. If it’s not approved and pre existing WT pay but he is excluded from the Cap if retired.

I hope he recovers would be terrible for him.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 5:47 pm

Sounds like they are biting the bullet and getting surgery done on the shoulder, good timing for Benji to be back.

Not sure where the talk of the retiring stuff came from because you are wasting your breath.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 6:10 pm

If this happened to Josh in his second year with us you could be, philosophical about it but as arguably our highest paid player the outcome for the club is far worse than it is for Josh.
So as much as I like him - its hard not to -
Iooking at it from a club perspective alot of money for little return at this point.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 6:34 pm

Was their an official announcement
Its an opinion!

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Thu 05 Jul, 2018 6:06 am

Will give Gamble a chance to develop

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Thu 05 Jul, 2018 7:10 am

Munk wrote:
Thu 15 Feb, 2018 8:11 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Thu 15 Feb, 2018 9:07 am
Munk wrote:
Thu 25 Jan, 2018 8:13 pm
TigersDenNZ wrote:
Sat 20 Jan, 2018 12:40 pm
In NZ when brooksie was coming through we were hearing that he was the next andrew johns.

I suppose anything can happen but looks like that calls gonna fall short of the mark.

Was there any credibility around this when he was 16-17 though? If so what happened?
The club overpaid him by miles, they pumped him up, they failed to push him, gave him a gold plated run each week regardless of form and as a result he failed to push himself to improve.
So it's the club's fault?

I'm not against paying top junior talent good money, every club does it. Brooks I think is hampered by high expectations from fans, always has been. If he was never touted, people would have a different impression of him right now, as an average but certainly first grade-quality halfback.

No kid asks to be called the next Andrew Johns or Sonny Bill, the media does this stuff, and it's not Brooks' fault if he was carving up the junior grades when somebody made that statement.

Club never gave him a gold-plated run, they invested in him, in an era when you cannot afford to invest in multiple players in the one position. If you don't play Brooks every week he doesn't improve, and if he's a top junior you don't have the funds to trot out 3 or 4 top-tier halfbacks.

At least Brooks has repaid the faith put in him by staying at the club for less money, unlike that dog Moses.
So to sum up your post, its not his fault, its not the clubs fault, its partly the fan's fault and mostly the media's haha thats great. Nice spin doctoring. To counter your points:
Yes the club stuffed up. Is it all their fault? No of course not but they hold a huge slice of the blame.
Im 100% against young talent earning big money. I believe you earn your place in this world. Brooks, Moses and Suli did not earn it yet got it anyway.
He was first touted by the club. Fans and media soon took over.
It is his fault. There were always reports he was an awful trainer and that showed on the field.
It was and remains a poor investment. He will soon need to secure back to back rings to pay us back.
Finaly, he stayed at the club as his options elsewhere were reportably near non existant.

Im behind him this season, but if he fails again, thats it.
The Club dumped him in with the other overpriced and over hyped next best thing ,and expected
Miracles were going to happen .
Apart from his start with Anasta, Brooks was expected to be a first grader without any experienced Players with him, , in a very ordinary team.
I believe that the club badly damaged his and Moses development at that time and failed to get them both, the sort of Coaching that they needed,
By dropping two Young raw kids into a struggling team was where the problems started, and was never addressed,
Only one should have been in first grade at that time (Brooks)and an experienced player should have been found to help him to be eased into what is the most important position in the game
Both players WERE given a golden run, no matter how bad they played,
The club were desperate for halves and used them both way before their heads were ready,
This isn’t hindsight either, as I said the same thing then