Aaron Woods - Signs with Bulldogs [Official]..

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: Aaron Woods - Signs with Bulldogs [Official]..

Post by sheer64 » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 10:03 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Mon 23 Oct, 2017 9:06 pm
Graham's Dogs exit 'frustrating': Klemmer

Mon 23 Oct, 2017, 6:00pm
By Michael Chammas‌, Chief Reporter‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

As David Klemmer prepares to face off against his mentor on Friday night, the Kangaroos prop has spoken about the disappointment of James Graham's departure from Canterbury.

Klemmer, who is expected to start in the front row for Australia in the World Cup opener in Melbourne on Friday night, will go head to head with Graham when the Kangaroos square off with England at AAMI Park.

But the pain of the Canterbury club captain being squeezed out of Belmore is still raw for Klemmer, who admits he is in disbelief Graham had been forced out to St George Illawarra.

"It was pretty hard. I never would have thought that him, being our¬¬ captain, the club would try and move him on – that was pretty confusing," Klemmer told NRL.com.

"And how the club worked its salary cap, that was pretty head scratching to see how things panned out. It was very frustrating because you don't often see a captain moved on."

There was a bittersweet tinge to the drama for Klemmer. There isn't a Canterbury player happier than Klemmer about Aaron Woods' acquisition, however it was the signing of Woods that sealed Graham's fate.

"I didn't know at the time when we signed Woodsy that Bupa (Graham) was going to leave," Klemmer said.

"I thought that all of us might have been playing together. It goes back to the club and the people running the club back then. They signed people and knew how the salary cap was working. It was pretty disappointing, to be honest.

"When he told me after the last game that he was going, I told him 'thank you for everything you've done for me, I loved every minute of it'. He taught me to be myself. He told me don't try and be something that you're not. Never change for anyone and be true to yourself.

"He's just a good bloke. I'm so lucky to have played with him. He helped me coming into first grade. He nurtured me, he showed me the ropes and I loved playing with him as well because he was so passionate. He was always firing me up and helped me so much with my game."

Canterbury's decision to terminate Des Hasler's contract and the appointment of Dean Pay has created plenty of excitement at the club.

Klemmer, who has already been in contact with the new coach, believes the club's new look was needed for the team to have a fresh start.

"I'm like a kid starting high school. I can't wait," Klemmer said.

"I went in the other day and talking footy and I introduced Deano to my family. It's exciting. I can't wait. The club is going in a different direction, all these old-school players are coming back. Andrew Farrar has been appointed football manager and old players coming back.

"It's going to be a whole different vibe. The place needed a fresh start and [chairman] Ray Dib is doing an awesome job at the moment cleaning things up and getting things ready for us. It's something to look forward to."

There aren't too many fond memories Klemmer can recall from a nightmare 2017 season. His captain, coach and best friend, Josh Reynolds were squeezed out.

"As a person and as a footballer, last year tested your character," Klemmer said.

"Losing football games is not fun at all. You go up the shops and you have your own fans spraying you. No one was interested. Going to the games no one was there as well. That was hard. We weren't going out there to lose football games. We tried too hard sometimes.

"We didn't help Dessie the way we were performing. We can't dwell on it. It was pretty hard watching semi-final football and us not being there."
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 10:19 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Mon 23 Oct, 2017 9:42 pm
"I didn't know at the time when we signed Woodsy that Bupa (Graham) was going to leave," Klemmer said.

Well what did you think would happen Dave? You thought you could bring in an international prop and it wouldn't have repercussions?
The Roosters seem to manage it OK. Punt a reserve grader and saddle up a Test player. Too easy.
Wish our club knew how to play that game.

Mickeyboy

Post by Mickeyboy » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 10:33 pm

The dogs sure know how to do 3rd party agreements for Woodsy

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 12:43 am

"It was pretty hard. I never would have thought that him, being our¬¬ captain, the club would try and move him on – that was pretty confusing," Klemmer told NRL.com.

"And how the club worked its salary cap, that was pretty head scratching to see how things panned out. It was very frustrating because you don't often see a captain moved on."

Where he has he been for past two years - he obviously never looked north across Parramatta Road, Leichhardt
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 5:05 am

Basil Tiger wrote:
Mon 23 Oct, 2017 10:01 pm
larrycorowa wrote:
Wed 18 Oct, 2017 11:07 pm
Foran is a shot duck....the dogs have got years of des mistakes to live through. I wouldn't take Eastwood for free either and Morris brothers are done, their leaders re gone....they will take our spot in bottom 3 next year.
Des thinks Renyolds is gone and on the slippery slide out of 1st grade,thinks he will spend more time on the sidelines/gym recovering from niggles than playing for us,hope he's wrong on that one,we will all know early next year.
I think you're right, didn't he get a four year contract,?
We're paying overs for him, I hope it won't come back and bite us on the bum.
But I think it will

Balmainbred
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Balmainbred » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 5:22 am

Yeh 4 years & big coin 3 million & a car.

TigerKapa

Post by TigerKapa » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 7:02 am

I don't think Reynolds' problem with his hammies are as bad as it seems. I reckon he kept getting rushed back a week or two earlier than he should have been since it was his final year at the club. They probably wanted to give him as many games in blue and white as possible. With a full pre-season he should be able to get his hammies right for round 1

Basil Tiger

Post by Basil Tiger » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 9:44 am

TigerKapa wrote:
Tue 24 Oct, 2017 7:02 am
I don't think Reynolds' problem with his hammies are as bad as it seems. I reckon he kept getting rushed back a week or two earlier than he should have been since it was his final year at the club. They probably wanted to give him as many games in blue and white as possible. With a full pre-season he should be able to get his hammies right for round 1
Lets hope so but its not any one injury as such its just the cumulation of years of taking a battering,eventually the body says enough.
He has already slowed considerably from his peak which is a marker coaches with Des's experience look for when deciding the balance of a Team.
Anyway,time will tell but surely its a 50-50 gamble at best that he will be of benefit to our team.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

kevinmcguiness

Post by kevinmcguiness » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 10:06 am

Balmainbred wrote:
Tue 24 Oct, 2017 5:22 am
Yeh 4 years & big coin 3 million & a car.
that's too much imo. Time will tell but i don't rate him as one of the top 10 halves in the comp to demand that much coin

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 10:07 am

Basil Tiger wrote:
Tue 24 Oct, 2017 9:44 am
TigerKapa wrote:
Tue 24 Oct, 2017 7:02 am
Lets hope so but its not any one injury as such its just the cumulation of years of taking a battering,eventually the body says enough.
He has already slowed considerably from his peak which is a marker coaches with Des's experience look for when deciding the balance of a Team.
Anyway,time will tell but surely its a 50-50 gamble at best that he will be of benefit to our team.
If he can’t keep up with the backs ...
Can anyone see him at 9 in the future?
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 10:26 am

Reynolds to me looks like a textbook case of a player who was in desperate need of a new environment. He'll be a revalation under Cleary assuming he stays healthy imo.

kevinmcguiness

Post by kevinmcguiness » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 10:46 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 24 Oct, 2017 10:26 am
Reynolds to me looks like a textbook case of a player who was in desperate need of a new environment. He'll be a revalation under Cleary assuming he stays healthy imo.
time will certainly tell

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 12:40 pm

While everyone was crying over the draw we received Josh Reynolds was relishing the challenge. For this reason alone he will be great for our club. We have lacked intensity, fight and belief for years. Cleary has started to turn that around. Our new roster will help remedy that problem, and having a positive fighter like Reynolds in the squad will do wonders. Great buy and money well spent imo.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 3:14 pm

We should all be glad Woods left he is not worth the 800k we were going to pay him. Packer and Matulino are a vast upgrade over Woods and Ava and roughly the same coin.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 6:48 am

Packerlino > Woods/Ava.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 7:04 am

I am probably in the minority here but i do believe that we will miss Woods badly.We needed to strengthen the pack around him as he is/was the mainstay of our forwards,there is no doubt he was a poor choice as captain but his performances on the field as a player were 2nd to none.
I can only hope that his replacements can fill in the hole he has left

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 8:18 am

jadtiger wrote:
Wed 25 Oct, 2017 7:04 am
I am probably in the minority here but i do believe that we will miss Woods badly.We needed to strengthen the pack around him as he is/was the mainstay of our forwards,there is no doubt he was a poor choice as captain but his performances on the field as a player were 2nd to none.
Agree. People turned on Woods for obvious reasons and it wouldnt have mattered how well he played.Cleary and Meninga backed him as captain and Pay has stated he is in the frame at the Bulldogs - lost our fans as soon as it became clear he was moving on. All history now.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 9:12 am

Telltails wrote:
Wed 25 Oct, 2017 8:18 am
jadtiger wrote:
Wed 25 Oct, 2017 7:04 am
Agree. People turned on Woods for obvious reasons and it wouldnt have mattered how well he played.Cleary and Meninga backed him as captain and Pay has stated he is in the frame at the Bulldogs - lost our fans as soon as it became clear he was moving on. All history now.
What I will temper all of this with is the cost. I didn't want Woods to leave, and despite what everyone says he's still one of the best props in the comp.

But if we got Matulino and Packer combined for approx the same cost, then good trade. Same deal with Tedesco if we picked up 3 backs @ $300K, good deal for Tigers. We don't need $1M footballers with this roster, we need a spread of talent and depth.