Aaron Woods - Signs with Bulldogs 2018 - Sharks 2018 [Official]..

steve-o

Re: Aaron Woods - Signs with Bulldogs [Official]..

Post by steve-o » Wed 30 May, 2018 11:46 am

Tap Twist Snap wrote:
Tue 29 May, 2018 11:19 pm
He really made a shocking decision for his on field career which has turned out great for us. We pick up 2 quality props + Reynolds and Mbye basically because of his decision to go to the Dogs. For all he coped last year for his terrible leadership and poor performance in the media from our fans, he gets it way worse from the Dogs fans this year for just trying to do his job. They are vicious to him. As hard as he has tried in some games for them he has made so many mistakes and on top of that he doesn't look too happy out there. If they are shopping him around to other clubs already then it's not surprising he isn't happy. Now he had lost his origin spot as well which probably wouldn't have happened if he had stayed.
Really couldn't get much worse for him... but he has plenty of cash. Wonder if he thinks it was all worth it? Wonder if he still thinks he has a good manager? Wonder if he is enjoying his coffees with his bulldog mates talking about what it would be like to play at a stable club? Ahh Woodsy ya silly oaf.
Well said
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

Oggy

Post by Oggy » Wed 30 May, 2018 11:57 am

How the hell did the Bulldogs screw up the salary cap so badly?? and they were after Tedesco too!. I mean who pays 800k for a prop then 3 months into the season finds out they are so far over the cap for the next 3 years??

Woods make the choice last year and he has to live with it, it is hard to find sympathy for him after what happened last year.

swag tiger

Post by swag tiger » Wed 30 May, 2018 12:02 pm

Oggy wrote:
Wed 30 May, 2018 11:57 am
How the hell did the Bulldogs screw up the salary cap so badly?? and they were after Tedesco too!. I mean who pays 800k for a prop then 3 months into the season finds out they are so far over the cap for the next 3 years??

Woods make the choice last year and he has to live with it, it is hard to find sympathy for him after what happened last year.
they can't sign any big names for 3 years.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018 Winner of WTF Draft 2

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Wed 30 May, 2018 12:08 pm

State of Origin 2018: The brutal way Aaron Woods learned of his NSW Blues axing

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state- ... 3d495de15c

AS MUCH as David Klemmer is jumping out of his skin at the chance to represent NSW on Wednesday week, he’s also hurting for his best mate.

His Bulldogs bash brother Aaron Woods is one of 11 players to have been left out of the team that lost Origin III to Queensland last year.

The others are Brett Morris (retired from representative football), Josh Dugan, Jarryd Hayne, Blake Ferguson, Mitchell Pearce, Nathan Peats, Andrew Fifita, Josh Jackson, Wade Graham, and Jack Bird.

Granted a couple of those are injured and unavailable for selection, but coach Brad Fittler is ringing in a new era for the Blues.

He’s been ruthless in cutting the likes of Woods, Jackson, Dugan, and Graham.

But there was a cruel irony in the way Woods found out he wouldn’t be in the side for game one.

He was with his best mate Klemmer after the Canterbury game on Sunday when the bald enforcer received a phone call.

Klemmer was in. Woods was obviously out.

Woods’ form for the Bulldogs was judged not good enough to retain his place in the side, ending a streak of 14 straight Origin games for the state.

“We were together when it happened. He’ll be all right, he’s just got to get back to where he’s at and playing good footy for the Bulldogs,” Klemmer told foxsports.com.au.

“I’ve talked to him briefly about it. Obviously he’s disappointed.

“But he’s a footballer, he’s got to get back to where he’s at. I thought he was going all right. He’s a world class footballer, he’s someone who I look up to.”

Woods, clearly, was devastated to learn he was not considered worthy of a Blues jumper this time around.

It was another blow for the veteran forward, who has seen his name linked to a premature Bulldogs exit in recent weeks. Understandably, he’s a little down.

But his class came through in the way he looked past his own heartache to congratulate old friends on their selections.

He was quick to message former Wests Tigers teammate James Tedesco after hearing he had been named in the side.

“He messaged me and said congratulations. I said I’m spewing he’s not here because I’m sort of used to him, hanging around him,” Tedesco said.

I came into my first camp and he took me under his wing. I can’t thank him enough for what he did, made me feel comfortable in this environment.

“To not have him here is a bit different.

“I know he’s going through some tough times with the Dogs at the moment but he’s a quality player and I’m sure he will find his feet soon.”

Woods was a groomsman at Klemmer’s wedding last year. They are thick as thieves, and usually room together in Origin camp.

Now Klemmer has been paired with Woods’ replacement, Penrith wrecking ball Reagan Campbell-Gillard.

And while Klemmer is sad not to have his close friend alongside him anymore, he’s excited about the new breed of Blues players.

And a forward pack book ended by Klemmer and Reagan Campbell-Gillard should be enough to frighten any Queenslander.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 30 May, 2018 12:17 pm

Nelson wrote:
Wed 30 May, 2018 11:39 am
It seems extremely unlikely to me that he would come back here for some bargain basement price as there are other clubs that need props far more than we do - Newcastle and Canberra being the most obvious examples, but also the Roosters. While those clubs probably aren't willing to pick up full freight on a (reportedly) ~$800K/year deal they'll be prepared to go a lot closer than we will (the Knights in particular). The Dogs aren't going to sign a release where they need to pay $300k+/year when they can either keep him or release him to another club for a figure closer to $100K/year.
It depends on how much they want him gone. It sounds like he wants to come back here more than wanting out of the dogs.
If he only has eyes for us, the dogs covering $300k of his salary might be enticing to them. As apposed to paying him $800k to stay.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Wed 30 May, 2018 12:22 pm

Oggy wrote:

They gambled on the cap rising more than it did. Now they're paying for it.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 30 May, 2018 12:45 pm

swag tiger wrote:
Wed 30 May, 2018 10:01 am
Aaron wants to come back but we may not have enough salary left to get him. Tbh i wouldn't mind Woods in place of Grant or Sue.
Swaggy when you say things like this, is this an opinion, or do you know for sure that Woods wants to come back?

Red Rugby

Post by Red Rugby » Wed 30 May, 2018 1:14 pm

Nelson wrote:
It seems extremely unlikely to me that he would come back here for some bargain basement price as there are other clubs that need props far more than we do - Newcastle and Canberra being the most obvious examples, but also the Roosters. While those clubs probably aren't willing to pick up full freight on a (reportedly) ~$800K/year deal they'll be prepared to go a lot closer than we will (the Knights in particular). The Dogs aren't going to sign a release where they need to pay $300k+/year when they can either keep him or release him to another club for a figure closer to $100K/year.
It doesn't matter what the Bulldogs want. Aaron holds all of the cards. The Bulldogs can't say you have to go to the Knights or the Roosters for that matter. Aaron is within his contractual rights to say, 'thanks I'll stay here and collect my full contract' If the Bulldogs want to move him on. he decides who he plays for.

swag tiger

Post by swag tiger » Wed 30 May, 2018 1:17 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 30 May, 2018 12:45 pm
swag tiger wrote:
Wed 30 May, 2018 10:01 am
Aaron wants to come back but we may not have enough salary left to get him. Tbh i wouldn't mind Woods in place of Grant or Sue.
Swaggy when you say things like this, is this an opinion, or do you know for sure that Woods wants to come back?
I got it from the lurker. :cry:
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018 Winner of WTF Draft 2

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Wed 30 May, 2018 1:31 pm

Tele has been reporting that we have made inquiries about Woods, but take that with a grain of salt.

Post by 2041 » Wed 30 May, 2018 1:59 pm

Abraham wrote:
Wed 30 May, 2018 1:31 pm
Tele has been reporting that we have made inquiries about Woods, but take that with a grain of salt.
The Telegraph is obviously getting nothing out of the Tigers or Dogs - they were nowhere on the Mbye story. So any info they have is probably from Isaac Moses, ie is solely being put out there to boost the short-term interests of Isaac Moses. In this case, he needs to get his client out of the crappy situation h put him in so has an incentive to make noise about supposedly interested parties.

Elderslie Tiger

Post by Elderslie Tiger » Wed 30 May, 2018 2:25 pm

Woods failed to talk to the Big Sports Breakfast show this morning in his regular weekly chat with TK & LOZZA they said he was disappointed with not being in the Blues side and was on a short break Oseas probably pondering his future.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 30 May, 2018 2:29 pm

Elderslie Tiger wrote:
Wed 30 May, 2018 2:25 pm
Woods failed to talk to the Big Sports Breakfast show this morning in his regular weekly chat with TK & LOZZA they said he was disappointed with not being in the Blues side and was on a short break Oseas probably pondering his future.
Probably off having a feed with his missus or his dog or something.

It is what it is.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Wed 30 May, 2018 4:02 pm

Red Rugby wrote:
Wed 30 May, 2018 1:14 pm
Nelson wrote:
It doesn't matter what the Bulldogs want. Aaron holds all of the cards. The Bulldogs can't say you have to go to the Knights or the Roosters for that matter. Aaron is within his contractual rights to say, 'thanks I'll stay here and collect my full contract' If the Bulldogs want to move him on. he decides who he plays for.
He doesn't hold all the cards. If he wants to "play finals footy" it's unlikely to be happening there unless there are some roster changes and they can't happen unless there is a turnover of highly paid players. The reason he's an attractive option for them to offload (unlike Foran) is because he's still worth something close to the value they paid on the market. If they can't get something close to that they'll just keep him. It's not worth their while to ship him off and pay $300K for 3 years and then have to turn around and replace him in a market where props are expensive. They might be prepared to release to his club of choice for a difference of $50K or so but not hundreds of thousands of dollars. He's got some hand in the negotiations but he doesn't have free running.

upper-d

Post by upper-d » Wed 30 May, 2018 4:10 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Wed 30 May, 2018 12:22 pm
Oggy wrote:

They gambled on the cap rising more than it did. Now they're paying for it.
Wondering if there are any checks and balances in place by the NRL prior to registering a players contract with a club? Surely clubs must have to demonstrate that they're able to fit players in under caps before they approve the registration? Is there any accountability from the NRL for the doggy dilemma or does it all rest on the club?

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 30 May, 2018 4:17 pm

Canberra withdrew their interest. Mullholland (recruitment manager) basically said he was not worth the money. Said that was no fault of Woods, rather "the idiots that signed him".

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Wed 30 May, 2018 4:18 pm

Nelson wrote:
Wed 30 May, 2018 4:02 pm
Red Rugby wrote:
Wed 30 May, 2018 1:14 pm
Nelson wrote:
He doesn't hold all the cards. If he wants to "play finals footy" it's unlikely to be happening there unless there are some roster changes and they can't happen unless there is a turnover of highly paid players. The reason he's an attractive option for them to offload (unlike Foran) is because he's still worth something close to the value they paid on the market. If they can't get something close to that they'll just keep him. It's not worth their while to ship him off and pay $300K for 3 years and then have to turn around and replace him in a market where props are expensive. They might be prepared to release to his club of choice for a difference of $50K or so but not hundreds of thousands of dollars. He's got some hand in the negotiations but he doesn't have free running.
its all about them not having enough money in there cap to buy the 11 players they need to top up there roster. if woods is on $800,000 and they pay $250-to $300 then it frees up $500,000 per season.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Wed 30 May, 2018 4:21 pm

Speculation surrounding the future of Bulldogs forward Aaron Woods intensifies
By AAP
an hour ago

Newcastle coach Nathan Brown has opened the door for Aaron Woods to join the Knights.

The former NSW forward has been speculated as potentially moving on from Canterbury as the Bulldogs deal with NRL salary cap issues.

Brown says Newcastle hasn't spoken to Woods or his manager but believes the 27-year-old is a "player who'd certainly improve our squad".

"Any time there's front-rowers on the market we're always discussing that," Brown said on Wednesday.

"I'm not sure what the story is with Canterbury, whether he is a moveable piece.

"We certainly came into this year two or three middles short, so we're in a strong position if someone like Woodsy became available and we thought it was part of the plan and he wanted to come.

The Dogs have already been forced to let go star fullback Moses Mbye, who will join West Tigers on a four-year deal from next season.

Woods has reportedly been shopped around despite only starting at the Belmore-based club this season on a lucrative four-year deal.

Canberra have already declared Woods to be off-limits even with front-rowers Shannon Boyd and Junior Paulo leaving the Raiders at the end of the season.