Aaron Woods - Signs with Bulldogs 2018 - Sharks 2018 [Official]..

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5347
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: Aaron Woods - Signs with Bulldogs 2018 - Sharks 2018 [Official]..

Post by gallagher » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:44 am

Well as it stands he's a chance of a premiership this year. Im not sure it's a spectacular backfire


User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17826
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 11:05 am

gallagher wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:44 am
Well as it stands he's a chance of a premiership this year. Im not sure it's a spectacular backfire
And if they don't win it? He's running off the bench for a team being done for cap breaches. Even if they do, it's hollow.

Let's just say I don't feel sorry for him.
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

clontarfkid
Member
Member
Posts: 804
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:47 pm

Post by clontarfkid » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 11:18 am

According to SMH ,Woods dropped $175k of his own to join Sharks(and we wld have matched Dogs offer for sure)
Throw in lost 3 x $30k SOO appearances plus 2 X$20k Kangaroos...and that's just for this year.Expensive.
Add in there loss of form so hes now warming the bench and more importantly loss of reputation particularly as a trusted leader...

...priceless!
Like Moses ,a victim of his own hubris.

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6125
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 11:25 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 11:05 am
gallagher wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:44 am
Well as it stands he's a chance of a premiership this year. Im not sure it's a spectacular backfire
And if they don't win it? He's running off the bench for a team being done for cap breaches. Even if they do, it's hollow.

Let's just say I don't feel sorry for him.
Whats hollow about it,?
Starting.
Off the bench, all part of a premiership win( If They Did win it).
he would still be playing in a G F,
Every other player would accept it it was offered
Not his fault if The Sharks have a cap problem in 2015, most teams probably are in the same boat, its rife.

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17826
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 11:40 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 11:25 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 11:05 am
gallagher wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:44 am
Well as it stands he's a chance of a premiership this year. Im not sure it's a spectacular backfire
And if they don't win it? He's running off the bench for a team being done for cap breaches. Even if they do, it's hollow.

Let's just say I don't feel sorry for him.
Whats hollow about it,?
Starting.
Off the bench, all part of a premiership win( If They Did win it).
he would still be playing in a G F,
Every other player would accept it it was offered
Not his fault if The Sharks have a cap problem in 2015, most teams probably are in the same boat, its rife.
Of course they would.

Good fortune disguised as rejection. I said the same thing about Moses when he left for Parra. This is a step further as he would have finished up in 14th spot with the Dogs if they didn't offload him.

Anyway, I'm sure if they do win it he'll think he was deserving of it. Many fans will disagree.
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...


Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 4952
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 11:54 am

Cairnstigers wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:42 am
Russell wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 9:17 am
tig_prmz wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 9:12 pm
ssay what you will but:

- woods playing finals this year
- teddy playing finals this year
- moses played finals last year
- brooks still hasn't played finals or a rep game (maybe city/country) in 5 years in the top grade

not being able to play the high pressure games doesn't allow you to reach your best IMO
Little slimy fart is playing with the wooden spoon this year....Lol
It not that bad for Moses
At least now he can eat his soup with a new spoon
:roll

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5912
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 2:25 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:35 am
gallagher wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:28 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:12 am
gallagher wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:06 am

If he's as bad as you guys say then he would have lost his origin spot anyway.

He was smart to move.
At the time it was a smart move. He was a NSW and Australian rep. Now he's been punted from one club and warming the bench for another. Yeah he's on good coin now, but what happens for him when he doesn't get back to the heights he achieved playing at Wests? His next contract will be a pittance by comparison.

In the long term it may cost him financially. If he was still at the Bulldogs his decision would be an unmitigated disaster, he is lucky to have been moved on and gone to a club that are playing finals footy.

There's no guarantee he'll go on to win a premiership either. At the end of it all he could well have lost out on his rep honours, captaincy, game time, opportunity to secure another decent paying contract and have nothing to show for it except one fat four year contract.
He may have lost his rep jerseys here aswell. Missed the finals the next 4 years and ended up with a small contract.
We won't know that will we? We can only judge based on what's occurred, and that has spectacularly backfired on him.

He could have continued to play well for us and kept his jumpers and ended up with another decent contract.

He may not even be at Cronulla next year if the auditors finger them for cap breaches.
I still don't think Woods is bad and I'd gladly have him back at the Tigers on a subsidised salary.

But as CB said he left Tigers to go to a club that promptly fell apart, and now he's at another with cap strife. Sure he's playing finals footy, but at what cost to his personal brand and income?

All the ifs and buts about what he might or might not have done are irrelevant. He left, he got punted from his new club and lost money in the process, he lost his rep jerseys at 2 levels and now comes off the bench. That's all inside the last 6 months.

User avatar
Masterton
Member
Member
Posts: 2458
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:57 pm

Post by Masterton » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 5:25 pm

gallagher wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:06 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 9:51 am
jirskyr wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 9:35 am
Nelson wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 8:03 am


Not really, the rep bonuses have disappeared and won't be coming back while he's a bench forward and instead of being a popular cult figure he's pretty disliked and has greatly reduced his marketability and harmed his post-NRL career prospects (assuming he wants to stay involved in the game).
I agree with Nelson, Woods left us a first-choice Australian prop and doesn't get picked for Origin just 5 months into the next season.

Bench finals good for him, but his value has declined substantially.
Yeah, he has the coin he's signed on for, but he has missed out on so much more than that. He's been usurped at origin level now too with his replacements performing and delivering. Unless he has a stellar season or two and an injury or two happens prior to an origin campaign, he'll probably never wear a Blues jersey again. He'll be the guy who walked out on his club for a big money deal, lost value in the process and will probably earn a fraction of the value on his next contract.

He's potentially killed the goose that lays the golden eggs.
If he's as bad as you guys say then he would have lost his origin spot anyway.

He was smart to move.
Was he smart to move? To the Bulldogs? Or was he smart to move AGAIN? I'm not sure he had much say in that. Honestly, he's never struck me as smart at all.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5347
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 6:18 pm

Masterton wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 5:25 pm
gallagher wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:06 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 9:51 am
jirskyr wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 9:35 am

I agree with Nelson, Woods left us a first-choice Australian prop and doesn't get picked for Origin just 5 months into the next season.

Bench finals good for him, but his value has declined substantially.
Yeah, he has the coin he's signed on for, but he has missed out on so much more than that. He's been usurped at origin level now too with his replacements performing and delivering. Unless he has a stellar season or two and an injury or two happens prior to an origin campaign, he'll probably never wear a Blues jersey again. He'll be the guy who walked out on his club for a big money deal, lost value in the process and will probably earn a fraction of the value on his next contract.

He's potentially killed the goose that lays the golden eggs.
If he's as bad as you guys say then he would have lost his origin spot anyway.

He was smart to move.
Was he smart to move? To the Bulldogs? Or was he smart to move AGAIN? I'm not sure he had much say in that. Honestly, he's never struck me as smart at all.
I was more saying he was smart to move away from us rather than where he went. He's ended up at premiership contender so I'm sure hes happy.

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2652
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 6:45 pm

The Sharks have arguably the best prop rotation in the comp and its no coincidence that they have been traveling very nicely since Woods has arrived. Great competition for Fifita - just what he needed.

Lauren
Member
Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun 06 May, 2018 4:07 am

Post by Lauren » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 3:14 pm

Russell wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 9:19 am
Lauren wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:01 pm
Yeah it did initially hurt when it was going down, but it doesn’t bother me one bit that they’re making a finals when we’re not.
Was only posting snippet from article because of the mentioning of, being squeezed out of Wests - which is far from the truth and I think it’s annoying that Woods quotes the ‘Us vs Them/everyone’ , in defence/support of sharks. He was the poorest fricken captain in our history and left the team and club out to dry.
The one thing I learnt from all this is, is that the only loyalty in sports is from the fans.
Rubbish Lauren - have a look at own Rowdy for proof.

Take the mercenaries for what they are worth - nothing!

But it doesn’t mean players can’t get pushed out, look at Jesse Sue. I’m all for (hopefully) moving onward and upward but worry about our junior delevopment. We used to have masses of junior talent but it seems it’s a bit sparse right now.
Yes I absolutely agree about Lawrence and think Brooks and Nofoaluma are similar. I genuinely hope we don’t jeopardise Brooks’ future and actually build a club around him. He deserves more, that young Lachlan Lewis looks like time stands still, just for him. Getting some bigger forwards should be our priority.
Last edited by Lauren on Fri 31 Aug, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5347
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 4:54 pm

Telltails wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 6:45 pm
The Sharks have arguably the best prop rotation in the comp and its no coincidence that they have been traveling very nicely since Woods has arrived. Great competition for Fifita - just what he needed.
It would be nice to have a couple of rep props like them. Oh wait we did.

User avatar
Masterton
Member
Member
Posts: 2458
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:57 pm

Post by Masterton » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 4:56 pm

gallagher wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 4:54 pm
Telltails wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 6:45 pm
The Sharks have arguably the best prop rotation in the comp and its no coincidence that they have been traveling very nicely since Woods has arrived. Great competition for Fifita - just what he needed.
It would be nice to have a couple of rep props like them. Oh wait we did.
Jesus, mate. You sound like your dog got run over.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5347
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 4:58 pm

Masterton wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 4:56 pm
gallagher wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 4:54 pm
Telltails wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 6:45 pm
The Sharks have arguably the best prop rotation in the comp and its no coincidence that they have been traveling very nicely since Woods has arrived. Great competition for Fifita - just what he needed.
It would be nice to have a couple of rep props like them. Oh wait we did.
Jesus, mate. You sound like your dog got run over.
That how i feel actually.

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2652
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 5:32 pm

gallagher wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 4:54 pm
Telltails wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 6:45 pm
The Sharks have arguably the best prop rotation in the comp and its no coincidence that they have been traveling very nicely since Woods has arrived. Great competition for Fifita - just what he needed.
It would be nice to have a couple of rep props like them. Oh wait we did.
Dont fit the culture - too talented.
But we know better - we get our backs to make the hard yards.

tig_prmz
Member
Member
Posts: 7987
Joined: Sat 03 Oct, 2009 10:32 pm

Post by tig_prmz » Sat 01 Sep, 2018 4:04 pm

Russell wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 11:54 am
Cairnstigers wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:42 am
Russell wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 9:17 am
tig_prmz wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 9:12 pm
ssay what you will but:

- woods playing finals this year
- teddy playing finals this year
- moses played finals last year
- brooks still hasn't played finals or a rep game (maybe city/country) in 5 years in the top grade

not being able to play the high pressure games doesn't allow you to reach your best IMO
Little slimy fart is playing with the wooden spoon this year....Lol
It not that bad for Moses
At least now he can eat his soup with a new spoon
:roll
this was the main point.

in order to get to and play at your best, you need to play more high pressure games which teddy and moses have done and will do
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Balmainian
Member
Member
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon 27 Nov, 2017 11:07 pm

Post by Balmainian » Sat 01 Sep, 2018 4:18 pm

Lauren wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 3:14 pm
Russell wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 9:19 am
Lauren wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:01 pm
Yeah it did initially hurt when it was going down, but it doesn’t bother me one bit that they’re making a finals when we’re not.
Was only posting snippet from article because of the mentioning of, being squeezed out of Wests - which is far from the truth and I think it’s annoying that Woods quotes the ‘Us vs Them/everyone’ , in defence/support of sharks. He was the poorest fricken captain in our history and left the team and club out to dry.
The one thing I learnt from all this is, is that the only loyalty in sports is from the fans.
Rubbish Lauren - have a look at own Rowdy for proof.

Take the mercenaries for what they are worth - nothing!

But it doesn’t mean players can’t get pushed out, look at Jesse Sue. I’m all for (hopefully) moving onward and upward but worry about our junior delevopment. We used to have masses of junior talent but it seems it’s a bit sparse right now.
Yes I absolutely agree about Lawrence and think Brooks and Nofoaluma are similar. I genuinely hope we don’t jeopardise Brooks’ future and actually build a club around him. He deserves more, that young Lachlan Lewis looks like time stands still, just for him. Getting some bigger forwards should be our priority.
Loyalty is a rare luxury in today's game.
If you asked all the players on big money if they had the chance to earn that and stay at the club they spent their whole junior career and their first chapter of first grade at with the players that shaped their game from a young age i would think most would say yes.
But that's not a reality, Reality is if you take away the camera's its just a business like anything else, If your offered twice the annual salary to do the same job but in a far more enticing environment (Location, resource's etc)i know what i would do.
And the notion of being forced out.....well unfortunately Jesse Sue has had sufficient time in the game to prove he is a keeper, He obviously isn't in the eyes of the coaching staff or again he has accepted a higher offer to go to a club he see's as a step forward.
people need to forget loyalty in rugby league.....Like the scrum, the biff, the shoulder, the tinnie's of Draught on the hill.........its disappeared along with loyalty.
Only when the money in the game dries up will you see loyalty again in rugby league.
When it goes back to players with jobs playing for their community and fellow townspeople, Its an old cliche but the game will never be like the old days until the money which equals power is reduced or gone significantly.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22168
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 01 Sep, 2018 5:52 pm

gallagher wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 4:54 pm
Telltails wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 6:45 pm
The Sharks have arguably the best prop rotation in the comp and its no coincidence that they have been traveling very nicely since Woods has arrived. Great competition for Fifita - just what he needed.
It would be nice to have a couple of rep props like them. Oh wait we did.
How many rep game’s has Woodsy played this season?

Post Reply