Aaron Woods - Signs with Bulldogs 2018 - Sharks 2018 [Official]..

Nelson

Re: Woods to Bulldogs?

Post by Nelson » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:32 pm

Flippedy wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:11 pm
Mate I just cannot understand all the hate for Woods. He has had to practically carry a very weak forward pack all on his own for the past 3 years. Once again, he made the most metres of any forward on the field yesterday and he does this game after game after game. Just because he doesn't run like a maniac and carry on all aggressive like James Graham doesn't make him any less effective.

Forwards like Graham are often just all bluff and bluster - they look like they are doing a lot, but in effect they're not really going anywhere (the Bulldogs are going so well). In the end, it's the forwards like Woods who quietly get the job done - it's just a pity that he has had no decent support from the rest of the pack to help carry the load and make the inroads.

Petero Civoneceva was a not so aggressive forward and quiet achiever, who ate up the metres, while Webcke and others in the pack steamrolled the opposition. I bet no one on here would ever dare criticise Civoneceva for his non-aggressiveness. If Woods had team mates, who played like Webcke & Thaiday in the pack around him, we would be a different team today.

You people are mad if you want Woods to go! We don't need the only bloke who gets us any field position at all to leave, we need a couple of mongrel forwards around him, who can follow through and play off the ground he continually makes with every carry.
I don't want him to go I just don't want the club paying upwards of $1 million a season for him. Every player has a price.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:34 pm

Flippedy wrote:
Mate I just cannot understand all the hate for Woods. He has had to practically carry a very weak forward pack all on his own for the past 3 years. Once again, he made the most metres of any forward on the field yesterday and he does this game after game after game. Just because he doesn't run like a maniac and carry on all aggressive like James Graham doesn't make him any less effective.

Forwards like Graham are often just all bluff and bluster - they look like they are doing a lot, but in effect they're not really going anywhere (the Bulldogs are going so well). In the end, it's the forwards like Woods who quietly get the job done - it's just a pity that he has had no decent support from the rest of the pack to help carry the load and make the inroads.

Petero Civoneceva was a not so aggressive forward and quiet achiever, who ate up the metres, while Webcke and others in the pack steamrolled the opposition. I bet no one on here would ever dare criticise Civoneceva for his non-aggressiveness. If Woods had team mates, who played like Webcke & Thaiday in the pack around him, we would be a different team today.

You people are mad if you want Woods to go! We don't need the only bloke who gets us any field position at all to leave, we need a couple of mongrel forwards around him, who can follow through and play off the ground he continually makes with every carry.
What I don't get is that the club turned on Farah and the supporters rallied behind the bloke... he lost some fans by the way he handled it, but overall I think the fans were very much behind Farah and recognised all his years of tremendous output for the club, often a lone hand.

Woods is the same deal, he's carried this side for seasons and 2017 hasn't been his best so far, but so many supporters on here are ready to put the boot in. I don't mean the people that don't think he's worth $1M, I mean all the others who are so critical of his footy right now when there are bludgers like Sue and Edwards in the mix.

eyewonder

Post by eyewonder » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:39 pm

I would be miffed if woods left
He gets belted every week and tries his backside off
He is also a media magnet who does more for the Wests tigers brand than any player
Poq thankyou canterbury

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:42 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:34 pm
Flippedy wrote:

What I don't get is that the club turned on Farah and the supporters rallied behind the bloke... he lost some fans by the way he handled it, but overall I think the fans were very much behind Farah and recognised all his years of tremendous output for the club, often a lone hand.

Woods is the same deal, he's carried this side for seasons and 2017 hasn't been his best so far, but so many supporters on here are ready to put the boot in. I don't mean the people that don't think he's worth $1M, I mean all the others who are so critical of his footy right now when there are bludgers like Sue and Edwards in the mix.
It's really bizarre isn't it. That said, at the games he seems as popular as ever. I had some friends with me yesterday from o'seas who were laughing at how many people were yelling his name every time he went near the ball.
Agree with Nelson though - desperately want to keep the guy, but $1m is ludicrous unless truckloads of that is in the TPA sphere.

Also - with the salary cap changing, is there any scope for the loyalty bonus increasing? It's only $300k at present (IIRC), but I seem to remember some chat last year that the RLPA were looking to increase that allowance.
Either way, that allowance ould give us an advantage in keeping Woods given there's not many others that would be eligible at WT.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:42 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Flippedy wrote:

I think its coz hes quoted in the media saying lots of conflicting things and people are getting sick and tired of the whole circus
I hope he stays but not on the $$$ gossipped about

tigermac88

Post by tigermac88 » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:49 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Flippedy wrote:

I don't get it either, his stats especially metres gained speak for themselves. Just because he has a different style of play to other front rowers doesn't mean he's not effective

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:52 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:42 pm

I think its coz hes quoted in the media saying lots of conflicting things and people are getting sick and tired of the whole circus
Do you reckon Woods has actually been contradictory, or just the media ran off with some comments?He said these on the weekend:
Woods declared last week he would only settle on a new contract once a new coach is in place at Concord, and the latest developments hadn’t changed his thinking.
“There’s still no certainty with what’s happening. I still stand by my comments. I didn’t say sack JT or anything, which I think has been misinterpreted in the media,” Woods said.
“All I said was JT was off-contract, I just want to know who the coach is going to be. They want me to sign a long-term deal. I’m not going to sign where there’s no certainty of what’s going on.”
The NSW State of Origin representative reiterated he had no say in the demise of Taylor, but was open to lending his opinion on his replacement.
“They can (ask) if they want, but at the end of the day, it’s their decision,” he said.
“It’s out of our hands. All I did last week was ask who the coach is going to be and that’s it.”
While the off-contract players want to know who will be coaching the Tigers before committing to the club, they insist they aren't part of the plans to recruit the coach.

"I don't want to know because I keep getting dragged through everything," Woods said.

"No one believes what I say. It is what it is."

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:54 pm

Crazy amount of money, hard to believe it's true. He's decent and all, but a million dollars a season worth???

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:01 pm

I smell a rat herelike a couple of people have said.

* Bulldogs throw out this fantasy offer for Woods to distract us

* Tigers panic and give Woods more then required

* They then swoop on who they really need and with us with a hole in our pocket (Teddy and Moses)

Anyone with me? Or am I paranoid?

Dogs don't need Woods one bit. They need 2 spine players !

They are up to something here.
Last edited by Eddie on Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Furious1

Post by Furious1 » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:02 pm

innsaneink wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
Flippedy wrote:

Maybe you're right ink, but i tend to think people just feel he's the club captain, the team captain and (unfortunately for him or fortunately from his own point of view) he's tied up with the other 3 coming off contract so it lumps them all together. Its funny how early on in this I.E end of last year, everyone i think was pretty comfortable because we felt one maybe 2 of them would have re-signed by beginning of season and possibly we would lose one. The power of one manager has swung that dramatically so possibly now we lose all four. One thing is clear though, and i think that is, these players bar Teddy are starting to get on the nose of the supporters of this club, the club captain included.

People will accept things not going their way when it's above board, but the feeling starting to resonate around this team is that we are the ones being strung along and used as the fall back position, held to ransom etc. Its not good going forward.

TYGER

Post by TYGER » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:04 pm

Sounds like he is trying to bump up his asking price to re-sign with the Tigers. He definitely won't be Captain Hair Bear at the Doggies, just one of the grunts. I will believe this only when it happens and if it does then best wishes to him. Not worth that much coin in my opinion.

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:08 pm

Aaron Woods 2017 stats
Round 1 184 meters 17 runs 23 tackles 2 offloads 1 error
Round 2 158 meters 20 runs 27 tackles 2 offloads 0 errors
Round 3 127 meters 12 runs 31 tackles 0 offloads 2 errors
Round 4 188 meters 19 runs 26 tackles 2 offloads 0 errors

Considering we lost 3 of these games I think Woods stats are more than impressive. Maybe not worth a million dollars though.
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

Tigertigertiger

Post by Tigertigertiger » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:16 pm

Flippedy wrote:

Agree 100%...

wmlmaster

Post by wmlmaster » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:26 pm

Furious1 wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 8:30 pm
I think Woods should take the offer if it's for real. That"s great money for a front rower. A four year deal would secure his future. Add to that we start to weaken Isaac Moses' grip on our roster.

It's definitely strange though that a team who's weakest part is the backs would spend that sort of money on forwards given what they already have. On top of that, considering the uncertainty surrounding Des it's almost jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

Anyway if, and that's a massive IF these figures are true and Woodsy wants us to match it, i'd be inclined to politely decline and wish him well.

It kind of feels like we are on the edge of survival or extinction at the moment, all dependent on a coach and 4 players and i don't know who's quote it was but i've absolutely had enough of it all so ill finish this post with it.

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees"

So "Big Four" either hurry up and sign up (or atleast agree to terms) or hurry up and **** off and allow us to continue our fight for survival
X2

Well said

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:47 pm

Eddie wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:01 pm

* They then swoop on who they really need and with us with a hole in our pocket (Teddy and Moses)

Well, probably not paranoid, Eddie. Maybe Machiavellian, though.

willow

Post by willow » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:47 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 6:57 pm
Doesn't add up. 1 million for a meter eater? Get real. If they threw that money at Fifita I could understand, a guy who can be really destructive. Like Taumalolo. Woods couldn't damage a wet paper bag.
I don't doubt the Dogs would be interested, but at 1 mil a year...nah, they wouldn't be that desperate.

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:59 pm

Eddie wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:01 pm

Yep that's what I'm thinking. Or simply that Uncle Isaac has loose lips & wanting to drive the value up on his pay cheques!

TBH I just hope we re-sign Teddy ASAP. I'm over the rest.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 11:00 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:52 pm
innsaneink wrote:

Do you reckon Woods has actually been contradictory, or just the media ran off with some comments?He said these on the weekend:
Woods declared last week he would only settle on a new contract once a new coach is in place at Concord, and the latest developments hadn’t changed his thinking.
“There’s still no certainty with what’s happening. I still stand by my comments. I didn’t say sack JT or anything, which I think has been misinterpreted in the media,” Woods said.
“All I said was JT was off-contract, I just want to know who the coach is going to be. They want me to sign a long-term deal. I’m not going to sign where there’s no certainty of what’s going on.”
The NSW State of Origin representative reiterated he had no say in the demise of Taylor, but was open to lending his opinion on his replacement.
“They can (ask) if they want, but at the end of the day, it’s their decision,” he said.
“It’s out of our hands. All I did last week was ask who the coach is going to be and that’s it.”
While the off-contract players want to know who will be coaching the Tigers before committing to the club, they insist they aren't part of the plans to recruit the coach.

"I don't want to know because I keep getting dragged through everything," Woods said.

"No one believes what I say. It is what it is."
i DONT KNOW, i HAD ONLY JUST READ the article ,the last quote in your post before I posted my reply to you.
He seems confused, maybe Im just sick of it all and not following closely enough but its difficult wading through all the BS