Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Post by 851 » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 12:33 pm

Val Holmes released by sharks to chase NFL dream,.
Go hard or go home

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 12:42 pm

851 wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 12:28 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 10:10 pm
851 wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 6:20 pm
Nelson wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 5:43 pm

I’d be surprised if he was refused bail. Not a flight risk and doesn’t seem like community protection would require him to be in custody.
Channel 10 said, because court had closed today, he will be held in police cells
That really doesnt make sense for a denial of bail
Due to the fact the charges are aggravated sexual assault
Yeah well thats different to court being closed... Anyway they were wrong and he was bailed

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 12:59 pm

hammertime wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 11:34 am
TheDaBoss wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 10:19 am
Bones wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 10:15 am
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-manly- ... bdef580f18

MADGE'S LATE COOK PLUNGE
Damien Cook is close to coming to terms with Souths on a rich new four-year deal - but not before one last attempt to poach him by his former coach Michael Maguire.
‘Madge’ coached Cook at Souths two years ago and is keen to get him to his new club, the Tigers for 2019.
Cook was the most dynamic hooker in the game last season with his dashes out of dummy-half and Souths are desperate to retain him.
But the Tigers have money to spend and Maguire is even prepared to let a couple of players go to get Cook on board.
that is interesting, he says he is willing to let a few players go....... if that happens dont make the wrong decison madge
I reckon we've got plenty under the cap. We had surplus last year. Wouldn't have to let players go.

But if anything, would be his agent spinning this. Which club has money that has potential ties to cook? Makes it somewhat believable.
4M over 5 Years is too much.

Post by 851 » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 1:30 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 12:42 pm
851 wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
851 wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 6:20 pm

Channel 10 said, because court had closed today, he will be held in police cells
Yeah well thats different to court being closed... Anyway they were wrong and he was bailed
Just listening to the radio now, they are saying the charges aggravated sexual asssult causing grievios bodily harm carries a 20 year gaol sentence.
Channel 10 meant because they wanted him to front court immediately and it was closed, the charges meant he would be held in custody. But yeh you are right, they let him go and he has to report to police 3 times a week, he also has to reside in North West sydney until fronting court
Go hard or go home

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 2:06 pm

TheDaBoss wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 10:19 am
Bones wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 10:15 am
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-manly- ... bdef580f18

MADGE'S LATE COOK PLUNGE
Damien Cook is close to coming to terms with Souths on a rich new four-year deal - but not before one last attempt to poach him by his former coach Michael Maguire.
‘Madge’ coached Cook at Souths two years ago and is keen to get him to his new club, the Tigers for 2019.
Cook was the most dynamic hooker in the game last season with his dashes out of dummy-half and Souths are desperate to retain him.
But the Tigers have money to spend and Maguire is even prepared to let a couple of players go to get Cook on board.
that is interesting, he says he is willing to let a few players go....... if that happens dont make the wrong decison madge
We need a speedy centre and a tough, uncompromising forward. Why are we constantly being connected to chasing hookers in the media....unless Liddle is leaving?

hodgo

Post by hodgo » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 2:28 pm

It does my head in that people blow up about the lack of quality signings and then whinge when we go after the best hooker in the game not named smith.

You get cook and others will come. You take the best players you can and any position and build around them. At the moment we dont have a player in the top 3 in their position anywhere on the field.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 2:44 pm

851 wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 12:33 pm
Val Holmes released by sharks to chase NFL dream,.
He’ll get flattened in the NFL :lol:

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 2:51 pm

hodgo wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 2:28 pm
It does my head in that people blow up about the lack of quality signings and then whinge when we go after the best hooker in the game not named smith.

You get cook and others will come. You take the best players you can and any position and build around them. At the moment we dont have a player in the top 3 in their position anywhere on the field.
I’m not saying I wouldn’t want Cook here - of course I would, but a recent media release from the club itself said that we were chasing a centre and a tough forward to fill the last two spots. Liddle is meant to be the future yet we are constantly being linked to one hooker or another! So unless it’s a done deal that Liddle is leaving, I simply can’t understand the chase for another hooker when other positions have been pinpointed by the coach as more important at this stage.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 3:47 pm

No more plodders!
:sign:

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 3:54 pm

yay...thanks Voldermort..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 3:58 pm

851 wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 1:30 pm
innsaneink wrote:
851 wrote:
innsaneink wrote:

Just listening to the radio now, they are saying the charges aggravated sexual asssult causing grievios bodily harm carries a 20 year gaol sentence.
Channel 10 meant because they wanted him to front court immediately and it was closed, the charges meant he would be held in custody. But yeh you are right, they let him go and he has to report to police 3 times a week, he also has to reside in North West sydney until fronting court
Grievous body harm ...........that's really pushing the envelop isn't it

Don't like the bloke , but that charge is throwing him under the bus

Suppose we don't know what exactly happened , but it is 7 weeks later

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:03 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 3:58 pm
851 wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
851 wrote:

Aggravated sexual assault (s 61J Crimes Act) does not have grievous bodily harm as an element. The charge would be aggravated sexual assault with intentional or reckless infliction of actual bodily harm as the circumstance of aggravation. Scratching or bruising would be sufficient to constitute "actual bodily harm".

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:39 pm

hodgo wrote:

Fully.
I love Farah but he is only here for transition purposes.
Liddle is supposed to be the transitionee (per se), but if we could get Cook this is a no-brainer.

Note: this is not to say we don't still need a proper strike forward and a class centre.

Post by 2041 » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:48 pm

bigsiro wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:39 pm
hodgo wrote:

Fully.
Liddle is supposed to be the transitionee (per se), but if we could get Cook this is a no-brainer.

Note: this is not to say we don't still need a proper strike forward and a class centre.
You've just summed up why people are wary of signing Cook and you don't even realise it.

If Cook signs for 900k a year that's 10% of the cap gone for the next four years, and with it a fair slice of the likelihood that the Tigers will be able to compete the next time a proper strike forward or a class centre become available.

There are people on here who airily demand signings with absolutely no acknowledgment of the consequences for the club's cap position. It was the same when the Wighton rumours were circling. Lots of people said we should sign him to play centre. I said signing a poor fullback on a 700k contract because we think he might go better in the centres was insane. Someone replied "I don't think anyone's talking about signing him for 700k." But that's the contract he's on - he's not going to come here for less.

Cook's a good player; I don't think anyone disputes that. But the question isn't whether he's good - the questions are whether he's the player we need and whether he's good enough to justify the proportion of the cap he's expected to demand. Given hooker is about the only position on the park where the Tigers have the most precious commodity in the NRL - a young player who may be able to produce performances above his cap spend - there is a very, very strong argument that locking ourselves into a mammoth contract in that position would be a very stupid move indeed.

It's like, if I have a perfectly decent Toyota and my house is falling down, and someone offers to sell me a full price Maserati. The sensible response is "no thanks, my car is fine and I really need to spend the money I've saved repairing my house or, even better, waiting for a bargain to come along so I can move to a better house." People on here say "that Maserati is way better than our Toyota, let's spend all our money on it".

Post by 851 » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:51 pm

Nelson wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:03 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 3:58 pm
851 wrote:
innsaneink wrote:

Aggravated sexual assault (s 61J Crimes Act) does not have grievous bodily harm as an element. The charge would be aggravated sexual assault with intentional or reckless infliction of actual bodily harm as the circumstance of aggravation. Scratching or bruising would be sufficient to constitute "actual bodily harm".
That is what Weidler was saying on the radio this afternoon, he was supposedly the court reporter, surely he could get the charge right
Go hard or go home

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:54 pm

Nah lets not sign the current Australian and NSW Origin hooker...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Post by 851 » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:58 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:54 pm
Nah lets not sign the current Australian and NSW Origin hooker...
But what about Liddle they say, but in fairness to them, we have bigger issues to attend to, outside back and middle forward, but if you get the chance to sign an Australian rep player, you probably take it
Go hard or go home

yeti

Post by yeti » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 5:08 pm

2041 wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:48 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:39 pm
hodgo wrote:

Fully.

You've just summed up why people are wary of signing Cook and you don't even realise it.

If Cook signs for 900k a year that's 10% of the cap gone for the next four years, and with it a fair slice of the likelihood that the Tigers will be able to compete the next time a proper strike forward or a class centre become available.

There are people on here who airily demand signings with absolutely no acknowledgment of the consequences for the club's cap position. It was the same when the Wighton rumours were circling. Lots of people said we should sign him to play centre. I said signing a poor fullback on a 700k contract because we think he might go better in the centres was insane. Someone replied "I don't think anyone's talking about signing him for 700k." But that's the contract he's on - he's not going to come here for less.

Cook's a good player; I don't think anyone disputes that. But the question isn't whether he's good - the questions are whether he's the player we need and whether he's good enough to justify the proportion of the cap he's expected to demand. Given hooker is about the only position on the park where the Tigers have the most precious commodity in the NRL - a young player who may be able to produce performances above his cap spend - there is a very, very strong argument that locking ourselves into a mammoth contract in that position would be a very stupid move indeed.

It's like, if I have a perfectly decent Toyota and my house is falling down, and someone offers to sell me a full price Maserati. The sensible response is "no thanks, my car is fine and I really need to spend the money I've saved repairing my house or, even better, waiting for a bargain to come along so I can move to a better house." People on here say "that Maserati is way better than our Toyota, let's spend all our money on it".
It's also been said that Madge would be prepared to let a couple of players go in order to accommodate Cook - both in cap space and top 30. I don't see a problem here.