Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 7212
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Post by supercoach » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 11:45 am

yeti wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 5:08 pm
2041 wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:48 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:39 pm
hodgo wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 2:28 pm
It does my head in that people blow up about the lack of quality signings and then whinge when we go after the best hooker in the game not named smith.

You get cook and others will come. You take the best players you can and any position and build around them. At the moment we dont have a player in the top 3 in their position anywhere on the field.
Fully.
I love Farah but he is only here for transition purposes.
Liddle is supposed to be the transitionee (per se), but if we could get Cook this is a no-brainer.

Note: this is not to say we don't still need a proper strike forward and a class centre.
You've just summed up why people are wary of signing Cook and you don't even realise it.

If Cook signs for 900k a year that's 10% of the cap gone for the next four years, and with it a fair slice of the likelihood that the Tigers will be able to compete the next time a proper strike forward or a class centre become available.

There are people on here who airily demand signings with absolutely no acknowledgment of the consequences for the club's cap position. It was the same when the Wighton rumours were circling. Lots of people said we should sign him to play centre. I said signing a poor fullback on a 700k contract because we think he might go better in the centres was insane. Someone replied "I don't think anyone's talking about signing him for 700k." But that's the contract he's on - he's not going to come here for less.

Cook's a good player; I don't think anyone disputes that. But the question isn't whether he's good - the questions are whether he's the player we need and whether he's good enough to justify the proportion of the cap he's expected to demand. Given hooker is about the only position on the park where the Tigers have the most precious commodity in the NRL - a young player who may be able to produce performances above his cap spend - there is a very, very strong argument that locking ourselves into a mammoth contract in that position would be a very stupid move indeed.

It's like, if I have a perfectly decent Toyota and my house is falling down, and someone offers to sell me a full price Maserati. The sensible response is "no thanks, my car is fine and I really need to spend the money I've saved repairing my house or, even better, waiting for a bargain to come along so I can move to a better house." People on here say "that Maserati is way better than our Toyota, let's spend all our money on it".
It's also been said that Madge would be prepared to let a couple of players go in order to accommodate Cook - both in cap space and top 30. I don't see a problem here.

You can only offload players who are in demand and the only players we have who are in demand are keepers


magpiecol
Member
Member
Posts: 3247
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:02 pm

Post by magpiecol » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:22 pm

Have heard that McQueen has gone back to Souths. Nothing official, just from a Souths supporter.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29714
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:28 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:22 pm
Have heard that McQueen has gone back to Souths. Nothing official, just from a Souths supporter.
How's he feel about that?

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41510
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:36 pm

2041 wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 10:09 am
gallagher wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 9:57 am
2041 wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 4:35 am
Cairnstigers wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 9:02 pm


Well take a pick

The Maserati will get you to the hardware store and home quicker to do the repairs

The Toyota will never pass or get ahead of the car in front unless it has a major upgrade

Give me the Masersti please
Missing the point, again. Once you've bought the Maserati you can't afford anything in the hardware store.

Everyone knows we needs a centre and an impact forward. Why are we trying to spend lots of money on a hooker?

I'll give you another comparison. Your wife says she'll leave you if you don't take her on holiday. You buy a Maserati, reasoning that she'll be super impressed on the drive to the airport. She is, but you haven't got any money left for flights. She leaves you.
You're assuming we don't have the cap space to improve all our weaknesses over the next two seasons. Im assuming Maguire is better informed of your our cap situation than you.
Yes, I'm assuming we don't have enough money to re-sign Brooks, sign Cook, sign a marquee centre and a marquee middle or edge forward, continue paying Reynolds, Mbye and Packer, and have a full roster of 30 players. Yes, I also assume Maguire has more detailed information than this. Time will tell.
I don't think we will be attempting or able to sign a marquee centre or middle/edge forward

We need to be looking at value for money in both positions who are real team players and are consistent week in week out

Good rather than great will be fine

User avatar
WT2K
Member
Member
Posts: 4233
Joined: Thu 04 May, 2017 5:18 pm

Post by WT2K » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:37 pm

All well and good to say let's get rid of x player but as well know you need another club willing to take them on. Can't see the ones in our squad that we fans want to dump that other teams would be jumping at to sign.
No more plodders!
:sign:


User avatar
Chris
Member
Member
Posts: 4586
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 12:00 am

Post by Chris » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:46 pm

Is it just me or does it seem like we've needed a center and an impact forward/big name prop since 2000?

cochise
Member
Member
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun 12 Feb, 2012 10:42 pm

Post by cochise » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:49 pm

Chris wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:46 pm
Is it just me or does it seem like we've needed a center and an impact forward/big name prop since 2000?
We have had some very good centres, Lawrance being the best.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3578
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 8:12 am
Location: bayview

Post by jadtiger » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:53 pm

cochise wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:49 pm
Chris wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:46 pm
Is it just me or does it seem like we've needed a center and an impact forward/big name prop since 2000?
We have had some very good centres, Lawrance being the best.
Ellis was by far our best impact forward

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 18360
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:09 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:28 pm
magpiecol wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:22 pm
Have heard that McQueen has gone back to Souths. Nothing official, just from a Souths supporter.
How's he feel about that?
I think that both the Souths fan and McQueen would be both feeling pretty despondent. Souths definitely lost out in that trade off.

> Souths lose Crichton to Easts
> Easts lose Matterson to Wests
> Wests lose McQueen to Souths
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

User avatar
bigsiro
Member
Member
Posts: 1455
Joined: Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:50 pm

Post by bigsiro » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:13 pm

cochise wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:49 pm
Chris wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:46 pm
Is it just me or does it seem like we've needed a center and an impact forward/big name prop since 2000?
We have had some very good centres, Lawrance being the best.
Really?
...
I mean really? This has gotta be the weakest position in our history.

Lawrence is a club stalwart but he only had one or two good years at centre. He was never "very good". (subjective i guess)...

I would say Wests Tigers as an entity has had no more than 3 "very good" centres. And certainly none for the best part of the last 15 years, i.e. since Whatuira.

User avatar
swag tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2672
Joined: Wed 11 Nov, 2015 2:58 pm
Location: tiger island

Post by swag tiger » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:13 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:09 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:28 pm
magpiecol wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:22 pm
Have heard that McQueen has gone back to Souths. Nothing official, just from a Souths supporter.
How's he feel about that?
I think that both the Souths fan and McQueen would be both feeling pretty despondent. Souths definitely lost out in that trade off.

> Souths lose Crichton to Easts
> Easts lose Matterson to Wests
> Wests lose McQueen to Souths
At least we didn't lose out for once.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018 Winner of WTF Draft 2

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 18360
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:14 pm

swag tiger wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:13 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:09 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:28 pm
magpiecol wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:22 pm
Have heard that McQueen has gone back to Souths. Nothing official, just from a Souths supporter.
How's he feel about that?
I think that both the Souths fan and McQueen would be both feeling pretty despondent. Souths definitely lost out in that trade off.

> Souths lose Crichton to Easts
> Easts lose Matterson to Wests
> Wests lose McQueen to Souths
At least we didn't lose out for once.
As long as we're not paying through the teeth for him to go back I'm OK with it.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22856
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:19 pm

bigsiro wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:13 pm
cochise wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:49 pm
Chris wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:46 pm
Is it just me or does it seem like we've needed a center and an impact forward/big name prop since 2000?
We have had some very good centres, Lawrance being the best.
Really?
...
I mean really? This has gotta be the weakest position in our history.

Lawrence is a club stalwart but he only had one or two good years at centre. He was never "very good". (subjective i guess)...

I would say Wests Tigers as an entity has had no more than 3 "very good" centres. And certainly none for the best part of the last 15 years, i.e. since Whatuira.
Its ignorance in the extreme to suggest Lawrence was never very good pre hip injury.

larrycorowa
Member
Member
Posts: 2122
Joined: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 1:47 pm

Post by larrycorowa » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 2:06 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:19 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:13 pm
cochise wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:49 pm
Chris wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:46 pm
Is it just me or does it seem like we've needed a center and an impact forward/big name prop since 2000?
We have had some very good centres, Lawrance being the best.
Really?
...
I mean really? This has gotta be the weakest position in our history.

Lawrence is a club stalwart but he only had one or two good years at centre. He was never "very good". (subjective i guess)...

I would say Wests Tigers as an entity has had no more than 3 "very good" centres. And certainly none for the best part of the last 15 years, i.e. since Whatuira.
Its ignorance in the extreme to suggest Lawrence was never very good pre hip injury.
By far the best centre I have ever seen play for the Tigers and I have been following since 1970

User avatar
bigsiro
Member
Member
Posts: 1455
Joined: Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:50 pm

Post by bigsiro » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 2:08 pm

2041 wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 10:09 am
gallagher wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 9:57 am
2041 wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 4:35 am
Cairnstigers wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 9:02 pm


Well take a pick

The Maserati will get you to the hardware store and home quicker to do the repairs

The Toyota will never pass or get ahead of the car in front unless it has a major upgrade

Give me the Masersti please
Missing the point, again. Once you've bought the Maserati you can't afford anything in the hardware store.

Everyone knows we needs a centre and an impact forward. Why are we trying to spend lots of money on a hooker?

I'll give you another comparison. Your wife says she'll leave you if you don't take her on holiday. You buy a Maserati, reasoning that she'll be super impressed on the drive to the airport. She is, but you haven't got any money left for flights. She leaves you.
You're assuming we don't have the cap space to improve all our weaknesses over the next two seasons. Im assuming Maguire is better informed of your our cap situation than you.
Yes, I'm assuming we don't have enough money to re-sign Brooks, sign Cook, sign a marquee centre and a marquee middle or edge forward, continue paying Reynolds, Mbye and Packer, and have a full roster of 30 players. Yes, I also assume Maguire has more detailed information than this. Time will tell.
@2041 I like your points and largely I agree with the fact that IF cap space is an issue then judgement calls need to be made. But it is just way too assumptive.

Yes, prioritizing a gun centre and gun forward is the go. Settling for anything less will be unacceptable.
Every team seems to have cap space for a least a few marquee players. We currently have no marquee players now (and NO, Brooks and Mbye are not marquee...at least not yet).
So, if signing a marquee centre and forward transpires then I'll be beaming.

But, if we simply go for "value for money" and "good rather than great" like what @happy wants, then give me Cook.

The analogy of the holiday or the cars doesn't check out for me either. The opportunity cost of signing a player like Cook is not as you say it is. It is more like we have a fleet of Toyota's and we are looking to upgrade a few of them. That's all. Sure, if we were signing 3 Latrell Mitchell's then maybe that might raise a few eyebrows re cap space and we might have to forego or release some first-graders, but we aren't even close to that. So, I think it is important to entertain every single option where we can have players that improve our team (and not poo-poo them because you assume we can't effectively manage our cap or TPA's).

The whole Cook discussion is likely moot, but I don't think this Cook would spoil the broth.....so to speak..... ;)

User avatar
bigsiro
Member
Member
Posts: 1455
Joined: Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:50 pm

Post by bigsiro » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 2:36 pm

larrycorowa wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 2:06 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:19 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:13 pm
cochise wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:49 pm


We have had some very good centres, Lawrance being the best.
Really?
...
I mean really? This has gotta be the weakest position in our history.

Lawrence is a club stalwart but he only had one or two good years at centre. He was never "very good". (subjective i guess)...

I would say Wests Tigers as an entity has had no more than 3 "very good" centres. And certainly none for the best part of the last 15 years, i.e. since Whatuira.
Its ignorance in the extreme to suggest Lawrence was never very good pre hip injury.
By far the best centre I have ever seen play for the Tigers and I have been following since 1970
Puhhlease!!!!!!!!!!
Get real!
I said he had a good few seasons. Maybe he was "very good" for two seasons. But "BY FAR THE BEST CENTRE???"
And Since the 70's????
OMG
Are you Chris Lawrence?

It seems that no-one on this forum can EVER knock Lawrence or Brooks!!
Now he is the greatest centre we have had in 50 years??????
WHAT THE??

If you ever wanted evidence that the Lawrence love-fest has gotten out of hand then this is it!

Firstly, just from Wests Tigers era we have had better players at centre. Whatuira was MUCH better. Halatau and one of my all-time faves Buddha were fantastic. At least IMO their centre careers were "very good" for at least as long, if not longer than Lawrence's.

From a Balmain perspective in the 80's, 90's...I can't remember too many great centres but Brasher played many years there and is in another class to Lawrence. Obviously.
So was Gary Schofield. But craziest of all @larry you think he is better than Ellery Hanley...

I mean, really.... Lawrence better then the black pearl. Well I never. This has gone too far.

Seantice
Member
Member
Posts: 1606
Joined: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 9:00 pm

Post by Seantice » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 2:54 pm

bigsiro wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 2:36 pm
larrycorowa wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 2:06 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:19 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:13 pm


Really?
...
I mean really? This has gotta be the weakest position in our history.

Lawrence is a club stalwart but he only had one or two good years at centre. He was never "very good". (subjective i guess)...

I would say Wests Tigers as an entity has had no more than 3 "very good" centres. And certainly none for the best part of the last 15 years, i.e. since Whatuira.
Its ignorance in the extreme to suggest Lawrence was never very good pre hip injury.
By far the best centre I have ever seen play for the Tigers and I have been following since 1970
Puhhlease!!!!!!!!!!
Get real!
I said he had a good few seasons. Maybe he was "very good" for two seasons. But "BY FAR THE BEST CENTRE???"
And Since the 70's????
OMG
Are you Chris Lawrence?

It seems that no-one on this forum can EVER knock Lawrence or Brooks!!
Now he is the greatest centre we have had in 50 years??????
WHAT THE??

If you ever wanted evidence that the Lawrence love-fest has gotten out of hand then this is it!

Firstly, just from Wests Tigers era we have had better players at centre. Whatuira was MUCH better. Halatau and one of my all-time faves Buddha were fantastic. At least IMO their centre careers were "very good" for at least as long, if not longer than Lawrence's.

From a Balmain perspective in the 80's, 90's...I can't remember too many great centres but Brasher played many years there and is in another class to Lawrence. Obviously.
So was Gary Schofield. But craziest of all @larry you think he is better than Ellery Hanley...

I mean, really.... Lawrence better then the black pearl. Well I never. This has gone too far.
Lawrence was decent. He had defensive issues thoigh. I loved the work ethic and defence of whatuira and elford in 2005.

Since the wests Tigers Lawrence prob is the best centre we've had. But he never made Origin so it goes to show our callible of centres over the years..

User avatar
Blackpearl
Member
Member
Posts: 1396
Joined: Thu 20 Aug, 2009 12:01 pm
Location: The burbs

Post by Blackpearl » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 2:54 pm

bigsiro wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 2:36 pm
larrycorowa wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 2:06 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:19 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:13 pm


Really?
...
I mean really? This has gotta be the weakest position in our history.

Lawrence is a club stalwart but he only had one or two good years at centre. He was never "very good". (subjective i guess)...

I would say Wests Tigers as an entity has had no more than 3 "very good" centres. And certainly none for the best part of the last 15 years, i.e. since Whatuira.
Its ignorance in the extreme to suggest Lawrence was never very good pre hip injury.
By far the best centre I have ever seen play for the Tigers and I have been following since 1970
Puhhlease!!!!!!!!!!
Get real!
I said he had a good few seasons. Maybe he was "very good" for two seasons. But "BY FAR THE BEST CENTRE???"
And Since the 70's????
OMG
Are you Chris Lawrence?

It seems that no-one on this forum can EVER knock Lawrence or Brooks!!
Now he is the greatest centre we have had in 50 years??????
WHAT THE??

If you ever wanted evidence that the Lawrence love-fest has gotten out of hand then this is it!

Firstly, just from Wests Tigers era we have had better players at centre. Whatuira was MUCH better. Halatau and one of my all-time faves Buddha were fantastic. At least IMO their centre careers were "very good" for at least as long, if not longer than Lawrence's.

From a Balmain perspective in the 80's, 90's...I can't remember too many great centres but Brasher played many years there and is in another class to Lawrence. Obviously.
So was Gary Schofield. But craziest of all @larry you think he is better than Ellery Hanley...

I mean, really.... Lawrence better then the black pearl. Well I never. This has gone too far.
No way Chris Lawrence was a better centre than the Blackpearl :D
As a young bloke watched Geoff Starling make the grade and play for Australia aged 17.
Wests had some very handy centres as well in the 70's
I dislike sowfs immensely

Post Reply