Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

cochise

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Post by cochise » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:00 pm

bigsiro wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:13 pm
cochise wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:49 pm
Chris wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:46 pm
Is it just me or does it seem like we've needed a center and an impact forward/big name prop since 2000?
We have had some very good centres, Lawrance being the best.
Really?
I mean really? This has gotta be the weakest position in our history.

Lawrence is a club stalwart but he only had one or two good years at centre. He was never "very good". (subjective i guess)...

I would say Wests Tigers as an entity has had no more than 3 "very good" centres. And certainly none for the best part of the last 15 years, i.e. since Whatuira.
He played centre for Australia, was very close to Origin. Chris was the best centre we have had, Whatuira and Elford were also good centres. We have struggled in the centres since Chris' hip injury.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:02 pm

TigerSkins wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 5:39 pm
Melbourne Storm dilema .. Cam Smith wants to play on for 2 more years .. Storm have already committed to their 2019 - 2020 (so far 29 players) roster that didn't include Smith .. but they haven't re-signed Cam Munster yet .. and now Cam smith wants another two years .. umm correct me if I'm wrong .. two don't go into one .. !! So where is Munster gonna end up .. Cronulla or Roosters .. !!
Surely the NRL could do a special deal for Melbourne.

kiwitiger

Post by kiwitiger » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:03 pm

bigsiro wrote:
cochise wrote:
Chris wrote:
Is it just me or does it seem like we've needed a center and an impact forward/big name prop since 2000?
Really?

Lawrence is a club stalwart but he only had one or two good years at centre. He was never "very good". (subjective i guess)...

I would say Wests Tigers as an entity has had no more than 3 "very good" centres. And certainly none for the best part of the last 15 years, i.e. since Whatuira.
There is a forum topic on this very forum suggesting NSW should have Lawrence and Ayshford, as they are the best centres in NSW. Circa 2010 or 11.
PS not arguing against you! Just find it funny!

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:12 pm

tiger05premier wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 5:53 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 5:51 pm
supercoach wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 5:33 pm
larrycorowa wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 2:06 pm

By far the best centre I have ever seen play for the Tigers and I have been following since 1970
Big call....for me Geoff Starling and Terry Parker from the old days, than Dennis Bendal and Wayne Wigham, always loved Buba Kennedy and of course Spud and Fats did okay
For Balmain, Geoff Starling, Dennis Bendall and Buba Kennedy were excellent noting Starling and Bendall had their careers ended prematurely. We never had the chance to realise how good they were going to be.
I must have just been too young to see the other 2 but bubba kennedy was great to watch

A true centre with great pace
Bubbba only retired last season.

Ed Reschs

Post by Ed Reschs » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:13 pm

bigsiro wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 2:36 pm
larrycorowa wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:19 pm
bigsiro wrote:

Really?

Its ignorance in the extreme to suggest Lawrence was never very good pre hip injury.
By far the best centre I have ever seen play for the Tigers and I have been following since 1970
Puhhlease!!!!!!!!!!
Get real!
I said he had a good few seasons. Maybe he was "very good" for two seasons. But "BY FAR THE BEST CENTRE???"
And Since the 70's????
OMG
Are you Chris Lawrence?

It seems that no-one on this forum can EVER knock Lawrence or Brooks!!
Now he is the greatest centre we have had in 50 years??????
WHAT THE??

If you ever wanted evidence that the Lawrence love-fest has gotten out of hand then this is it!

Firstly, just from Wests Tigers era we have had better players at centre. Whatuira was MUCH better. Halatau and one of my all-time faves Buddha were fantastic. At least IMO their centre careers were "very good" for at least as long, if not longer than Lawrence's.

From a Balmain perspective in the 80's, 90's...I can't remember too many great centres but Brasher played many years there and is in another class to Lawrence. Obviously.
So was Gary Schofield. But craziest of all @larry you think he is better than Ellery Hanley...

I mean, really.... Lawrence better then the black pearl. Well I never. This has gone too far.
I took this comment a bit seriously until you rated Kevin McGuinness above Chris Lawrence. Let yourself down at this point.
You need to remember Lawrence did his hip before his prime. He could have been a great centre but only as good as the 6 inside him.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:14 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:12 pm
tiger05premier wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
supercoach wrote:

Big call....for me Geoff Starling and Terry Parker from the old days, than Dennis Bendal and Wayne Wigham, always loved Buba Kennedy and of course Spud and Fats did okay
For Balmain, Geoff Starling, Dennis Bendall and Buba Kennedy were excellent noting Starling and Bendall had their careers ended prematurely. We never had the chance to realise how good they were going to be.
I must have just been too young to see the other 2 but bubba kennedy was great to watch

We need to bring his son across from the Sharks.

cochise

Post by cochise » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:15 pm

kiwitiger wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:03 pm
bigsiro wrote:
cochise wrote:
Chris wrote:
Really?

There is a forum topic on this very forum suggesting NSW should have Lawrence and Ayshford, as they are the best centres in NSW. Circa 2010 or 11.
Chris is the best hole running centre I have seen, the space he created for his outside men was amazing. At times he was able to set them up without even touching the ball. Look at the number of tries Tuiaki and Tuquiri scored in the 08, 09, 10, and 11 season playing outside of chris.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:28 pm

Blake Ayshford being shopped apparently.. We're in need of a centre :lol:
No more plodders!
:sign:

cochise

Post by cochise » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:32 pm

WT2K wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:28 pm
Blake Ayshford being shopped apparently.. We're in need of a centre :lol:
He had his moments with us.

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:34 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
tiger05premier wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
supercoach wrote:

Really? ?

Where was he playing? ?

Must really enjoy it

Do you know his age?

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:37 pm

Ed Reschs wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:13 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 2:36 pm
larrycorowa wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:19 pm

Its ignorance in the extreme to suggest Lawrence was never very good pre hip injury.
Puhhlease!!!!!!!!!!
Get real!
I said he had a good few seasons. Maybe he was "very good" for two seasons. But "BY FAR THE BEST CENTRE???"
And Since the 70's????
OMG
Are you Chris Lawrence?

It seems that no-one on this forum can EVER knock Lawrence or Brooks!!
Now he is the greatest centre we have had in 50 years??????
WHAT THE??

If you ever wanted evidence that the Lawrence love-fest has gotten out of hand then this is it!

Firstly, just from Wests Tigers era we have had better players at centre. Whatuira was MUCH better. Halatau and one of my all-time faves Buddha were fantastic. At least IMO their centre careers were "very good" for at least as long, if not longer than Lawrence's.

From a Balmain perspective in the 80's, 90's...I can't remember too many great centres but Brasher played many years there and is in another class to Lawrence. Obviously.
So was Gary Schofield. But craziest of all @larry you think he is better than Ellery Hanley...

I mean, really.... Lawrence better then the black pearl. Well I never. This has gone too far.
I took this comment a bit seriously until you rated Kevin McGuinness above Chris Lawrence. Let yourself down at this point.
You need to remember Lawrence did his hip before his prime. He could have been a great centre but only as good as the 6 inside him.
Such a shame

We lost Dwyer Tuiaki and a full strength Lawrence in the space of a few years

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:39 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:14 pm
bathursttiger wrote:
tiger05premier wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:

His son??

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:41 pm

cochise wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:15 pm
kiwitiger wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:03 pm
bigsiro wrote:
cochise wrote:

Really?

Chris is the best hole running centre I have seen, the space he created for his outside men was amazing. At times he was able to set them up without even touching the ball. Look at the number of tries Tuiaki and Tuquiri scored in the 08, 09, 10, and 11 season playing outside of chris.
Good post cochise

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:42 pm

Well I thought I would give this thread day and a half before I would touch base ...... still chatter about nothing specific ...

So see ya again on Friday!

hodgo

Post by hodgo » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:54 pm

Russell wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 8:26 am
hodgo wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 9:16 pm
2041 wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:48 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:39 pm

Fully.
I love Farah but he is only here for transition purposes.
Liddle is supposed to be the transitionee (per se), but if we could get Cook this is a no-brainer.

Note: this is not to say we don't still need a proper strike forward and a class centre.
You've just summed up why people are wary of signing Cook and you don't even realise it.

If Cook signs for 900k a year that's 10% of the cap gone for the next four years, and with it a fair slice of the likelihood that the Tigers will be able to compete the next time a proper strike forward or a class centre become available.

There are people on here who airily demand signings with absolutely no acknowledgment of the consequences for the club's cap position. It was the same when the Wighton rumours were circling. Lots of people said we should sign him to play centre. I said signing a poor fullback on a 700k contract because we think he might go better in the centres was insane. Someone replied "I don't think anyone's talking about signing him for 700k." But that's the contract he's on - he's not going to come here for less.

Cook's a good player; I don't think anyone disputes that. But the question isn't whether he's good - the questions are whether he's the player we need and whether he's good enough to justify the proportion of the cap he's expected to demand. Given hooker is about the only position on the park where the Tigers have the most precious commodity in the NRL - a young player who may be able to produce performances above his cap spend - there is a very, very strong argument that locking ourselves into a mammoth contract in that position would be a very stupid move indeed.

It's like, if I have a perfectly decent Toyota and my house is falling down, and someone offers to sell me a full price Maserati. The sensible response is "no thanks, my car is fine and I really need to spend the money I've saved repairing my house or, even better, waiting for a bargain to come along so I can move to a better house." People on here say "that Maserati is way better than our Toyota, let's spend all our money on it".
i understand what you are saying but your resting one of our most important positions on a kid that cant stay on the park, and has not shown anywhere near the potential required to be a good hooker let alone a game changer.
Just saying Hodgo - I think you are wrong (entitled to your opinion though).
all good hope he proves me wrong

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:56 pm

momo&medo wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:42 pm
Well I thought I would give this thread day and a half before I would touch base ...... still chatter about nothing specific ...

So see ya again on Friday!
:lol: Here is a tip if anything concrete or specific happens it wont be in this thread..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:57 pm

tiger05premier wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:34 pm
bathursttiger wrote:
tiger05premier wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:

Really? ?

Where was he playing? ?

Must really enjoy it

Do you know his age?

He played for Cargo a small country town I think he was 47.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:59 pm

tiger05premier wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:39 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:14 pm
bathursttiger wrote:
tiger05premier wrote:

His son??
Yes, apparently quite a good fullback.