Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

User avatar
momo&medo
Member
Member
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri 20 May, 2016 9:48 am
Location: NSW central coast

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Post by momo&medo » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 7:39 pm

Some chatter on Rabbitohs forum that Souths couldn’t come up with the asking price and Jennings is on the move.


tiger05premier
Member
Member
Posts: 975
Joined: Tue 11 Mar, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by tiger05premier » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 8:29 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:57 pm
tiger05premier wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:34 pm
bathursttiger wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:12 pm
tiger05premier wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 5:53 pm


I must have just been too young to see the other 2 but bubba kennedy was great to watch

A true centre with great pace
Bubbba only retired last season.
Really? ?

Where was he playing? ?

Must really enjoy it

Do you know his age?

He played for Cargo a small country town I think he was 47.
Cheers bathursttiger

tiger05premier
Member
Member
Posts: 975
Joined: Tue 11 Mar, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by tiger05premier » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 8:29 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:59 pm
tiger05premier wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:39 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:14 pm
bathursttiger wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:12 pm


Bubbba only retired last season.
We need to bring his son across from the Sharks.
His son??
Yes, apparently quite a good fullback.
Cheers again

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29898
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 8:32 pm

momo&medo wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 7:39 pm
Some chatter on Rabbitohs forum that Souths couldn’t come up with the asking price and Jennings is on the move.
How specific is this..?
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

User avatar
WT2K
Member
Member
Posts: 4234
Joined: Thu 04 May, 2017 5:18 pm

Post by WT2K » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 8:33 pm

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t ... f2886dc173

NRL clubs ready to swoop on unwanted stars after salary cap audit

Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago


COACHES are sitting back and waiting for the NRL to deliver their annual Christmas bonus — players unable to fit under their clubs’ salary caps.

With the NRL due to issue their annual salary cap audits between now and Christmas, The Daily Telegraph understands a number of clubs are scrambling to remain under the cap.

Those clubs with money left in their salary cap have been waiting patiently for the audits to arrive — and are ready to pounce.

Some clubs face sanctions, with players almost certain to be forced out. Club chief executives are convinced they will be released and thrown directly on to the open market.

“We are hearing there are a few clubs that are going to be over,” one prominent CEO said. “The squeeze could be on.

“We have all been in that position. You think you’re okay and then the salary cap audit comes down and it all changes. Then you have to shed a few.

“We’ll be waiting and seeing what unfolds. A few clubs are similar — they are waiting.”

The Daily Telegraph will not speculate on which clubs could be over the salary cap.

It is known, however, that a number of clubs — including Brisbane, Penrith, Parramatta, Souths, Cronulla and Melbourne — are fighting hard to remain under it.

Manly is also confronting its own salary-cap challenges.

The Panthers’ cap will no doubt have eased with Trent Merrin’s departure last week to Leeds in the English Super League.

Souths is yet to have a new contract for winger Robert Jennings registered by the NRL. That has led to speculation about Alex Johnston’s future.

Cronulla may well be OK now that Valentine Holmes has been released to trial for an NFL contract.

Brisbane has moved Test and Queensland forward Josh McGuire to North Queensland and Gold Coast Titans are circling Broncos forward Alex Glenn. Jordan Kahu could also be moved along.

“We get calls about players who might be moved,” the CEO said. “There is no set time, but all the audits happen about now.

“The NRL can assess things differently to what the club thinks — different interpretations. It can happen.

“There is then a mad scramble to move players.”

The Sharks are also awaiting possible punishment over the club’s recent salary-cap drama. Some suggest the NRL fine will be significant. One theory suggests the departure of Holmes may free up some money for the expected fine.

Some clubs may not receive their NRL audits until January or even early February.
No more plodders!
:sign:


User avatar
cqtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2614
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:34 pm
Location: Rockhampton QLD

Post by cqtiger » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 8:49 pm

What happened about a new forward being announced when Maguire gets here? Supposedly signed and just waiting for the new coach for it to be announced?

Obviously, it’s rubbish.... again.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

mightymagpie
Member
Member
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:04 pm

Post by mightymagpie » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 9:02 pm

WT2K wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 8:33 pm
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t ... f2886dc173

NRL clubs ready to swoop on unwanted stars after salary cap audit

Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago


COACHES are sitting back and waiting for the NRL to deliver their annual Christmas bonus — players unable to fit under their clubs’ salary caps.

With the NRL due to issue their annual salary cap audits between now and Christmas, The Daily Telegraph understands a number of clubs are scrambling to remain under the cap.

Those clubs with money left in their salary cap have been waiting patiently for the audits to arrive — and are ready to pounce.

Some clubs face sanctions, with players almost certain to be forced out. Club chief executives are convinced they will be released and thrown directly on to the open market.

“We are hearing there are a few clubs that are going to be over,” one prominent CEO said. “The squeeze could be on.

“We have all been in that position. You think you’re okay and then the salary cap audit comes down and it all changes. Then you have to shed a few.

“We’ll be waiting and seeing what unfolds. A few clubs are similar — they are waiting.”

The Daily Telegraph will not speculate on which clubs could be over the salary cap.

It is known, however, that a number of clubs — including Brisbane, Penrith, Parramatta, Souths, Cronulla and Melbourne — are fighting hard to remain under it.

Manly is also confronting its own salary-cap challenges.

The Panthers’ cap will no doubt have eased with Trent Merrin’s departure last week to Leeds in the English Super League.

Souths is yet to have a new contract for winger Robert Jennings registered by the NRL. That has led to speculation about Alex Johnston’s future.

Cronulla may well be OK now that Valentine Holmes has been released to trial for an NFL contract.

Brisbane has moved Test and Queensland forward Josh McGuire to North Queensland and Gold Coast Titans are circling Broncos forward Alex Glenn. Jordan Kahu could also be moved along.

“We get calls about players who might be moved,” the CEO said. “There is no set time, but all the audits happen about now.

“The NRL can assess things differently to what the club thinks — different interpretations. It can happen.

“There is then a mad scramble to move players.”

The Sharks are also awaiting possible punishment over the club’s recent salary-cap drama. Some suggest the NRL fine will be significant. One theory suggests the departure of Holmes may free up some money for the expected fine.

Some clubs may not receive their NRL audits until January or even early February.
Of course the Roosters aren’t one of the clubs fighting to stay under the cap..... ummm I mean sombrero

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 2115
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 9:11 pm

Dean Ritchie is useless. Absolute garbage article
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

User avatar
momo&medo
Member
Member
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri 20 May, 2016 9:48 am
Location: NSW central coast

Post by momo&medo » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 9:21 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 8:32 pm
momo&medo wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 7:39 pm
Some chatter on Rabbitohs forum that Souths couldn’t come up with the asking price and Jennings is on the move.
How specific is this..?
As specific as you’re gonna get.

User avatar
Cairnstigers
Member
Member
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 10:00 pm

Post by Cairnstigers » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 9:23 pm

mightymagpie wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 9:02 pm
WT2K wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 8:33 pm
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t ... f2886dc173

NRL clubs ready to swoop on unwanted stars after salary cap audit

Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago


COACHES are sitting back and waiting for the NRL to deliver their annual Christmas bonus — players unable to fit under their clubs’ salary caps.

With the NRL due to issue their annual salary cap audits between now and Christmas, The Daily Telegraph understands a number of clubs are scrambling to remain under the cap.

Those clubs with money left in their salary cap have been waiting patiently for the audits to arrive — and are ready to pounce.

Some clubs face sanctions, with players almost certain to be forced out. Club chief executives are convinced they will be released and thrown directly on to the open market.

“We are hearing there are a few clubs that are going to be over,” one prominent CEO said. “The squeeze could be on.

“We have all been in that position. You think you’re okay and then the salary cap audit comes down and it all changes. Then you have to shed a few.

“We’ll be waiting and seeing what unfolds. A few clubs are similar — they are waiting.”

The Daily Telegraph will not speculate on which clubs could be over the salary cap.

It is known, however, that a number of clubs — including Brisbane, Penrith, Parramatta, Souths, Cronulla and Melbourne — are fighting hard to remain under it.

Manly is also confronting its own salary-cap challenges.

The Panthers’ cap will no doubt have eased with Trent Merrin’s departure last week to Leeds in the English Super League.

Souths is yet to have a new contract for winger Robert Jennings registered by the NRL. That has led to speculation about Alex Johnston’s future.

Cronulla may well be OK now that Valentine Holmes has been released to trial for an NFL contract.

Brisbane has moved Test and Queensland forward Josh McGuire to North Queensland and Gold Coast Titans are circling Broncos forward Alex Glenn. Jordan Kahu could also be moved along.

“We get calls about players who might be moved,” the CEO said. “There is no set time, but all the audits happen about now.

“The NRL can assess things differently to what the club thinks — different interpretations. It can happen.

“There is then a mad scramble to move players.”

The Sharks are also awaiting possible punishment over the club’s recent salary-cap drama. Some suggest the NRL fine will be significant. One theory suggests the departure of Holmes may free up some money for the expected fine.

Some clubs may not receive their NRL audits until January or even early February.
Of course the Roosters aren’t one of the clubs fighting to stay under the cap..... ummm I mean sombrero
The Roosters dont have cap problems
They will pick the eyes and teeth out of the players that come onto the market
Teams like us will get the dregs

User avatar
2041
Member
Member
Posts: 1136
Joined: Fri 14 Jan, 2011 12:32 pm

Post by 2041 » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 9:29 pm

bigsiro wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 2:08 pm
2041 wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 10:09 am
gallagher wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 9:57 am
2041 wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 4:35 am


Missing the point, again. Once you've bought the Maserati you can't afford anything in the hardware store.

Everyone knows we needs a centre and an impact forward. Why are we trying to spend lots of money on a hooker?

I'll give you another comparison. Your wife says she'll leave you if you don't take her on holiday. You buy a Maserati, reasoning that she'll be super impressed on the drive to the airport. She is, but you haven't got any money left for flights. She leaves you.
You're assuming we don't have the cap space to improve all our weaknesses over the next two seasons. Im assuming Maguire is better informed of your our cap situation than you.
Yes, I'm assuming we don't have enough money to re-sign Brooks, sign Cook, sign a marquee centre and a marquee middle or edge forward, continue paying Reynolds, Mbye and Packer, and have a full roster of 30 players. Yes, I also assume Maguire has more detailed information than this. Time will tell.
@2041 I like your points and largely I agree with the fact that IF cap space is an issue then judgement calls need to be made. But it is just way too assumptive.

Yes, prioritizing a gun centre and gun forward is the go. Settling for anything less will be unacceptable.
Every team seems to have cap space for a least a few marquee players. We currently have no marquee players now (and NO, Brooks and Mbye are not marquee...at least not yet).
So, if signing a marquee centre and forward transpires then I'll be beaming.

But, if we simply go for "value for money" and "good rather than great" like what @happy wants, then give me Cook.

The analogy of the holiday or the cars doesn't check out for me either. The opportunity cost of signing a player like Cook is not as you say it is. It is more like we have a fleet of Toyota's and we are looking to upgrade a few of them. That's all. Sure, if we were signing 3 Latrell Mitchell's then maybe that might raise a few eyebrows re cap space and we might have to forego or release some first-graders, but we aren't even close to that. So, I think it is important to entertain every single option where we can have players that improve our team (and not poo-poo them because you assume we can't effectively manage our cap or TPA's).

The whole Cook discussion is likely moot, but I don't think this Cook would spoil the broth.....so to speak..... ;)
Fair points Siro and thanks for making them so reasonably. I actually don't think the car analogy is perfect either, but for a different reason. So far as I'm concerned, there is as yet no certainty that Liddle is a Toyota. All we know is that he's a Toyota price - he might be a Ferrari (and, yes, he might be a cardboard box with the bottom cut out).

I guess what I'm getting at is that the only way the Tigers are going to be competitive is if they can get some value out of players they aren't paying full whack. We're just not in a position to write off juniors, especially ones that came through with such massive wraps on them, so quickly.

At the moment, depressingly, hooker is about the only position on the park where there's any chance at all of that value happening in the next year or so. Maybe the club has soured on Liddle's potential - I don't know. But it would be phenomenally depressing to just give up on a kid who has been heavily tipped from the off, has been put back by some injuries and who has literally barely turned 22. I'd also be worried if more or less the first thing Maguire does when he walks in the door is block the progress of more or less the only promising youngster on the books.

I'm probably also disappointed by what I read on here. Too many people seem to want to jump on any possible 'name' signing just because it's a shiny new thing, apparently under the impression that we either have an infinite salary cap or can just free ourselves of bad obligations we've made by wishing them away. Binning McQueen (never mind that no-one wants him) will apparently free up sufficient cap space to sign half the NSW origin line up.

If we signed half the players people on here wanted we'd have a champion team (from about 2011) and be mired in cap hell for the next decade.

Anyway, I doubt we're getting Cook so it's probably moot. But I'd be genuinely gutted if we sign Levi or some other nuffie to play ahead of Liddle.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29715
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 9:37 pm

cqtiger wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 8:49 pm
What happened about a new forward being announced when Maguire gets here? Supposedly signed and just waiting for the new coach for it to be announced?

Obviously, it’s rubbish.... again.
forum cow dung

User avatar
helmesy
Member
Member
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:18 am
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Post by helmesy » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 9:39 pm

cqtiger wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 8:49 pm
What happened about a new forward being announced when Maguire gets here? Supposedly signed and just waiting for the new coach for it to be announced?

Obviously, it’s rubbish.... again.
It was just a myth...just like the mystery prop, Curtis Rona, the Leichhardt oval soap and Ivan Cleary.

User avatar
The Bard
Member
Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun 22 Jan, 2017 7:21 pm

Post by The Bard » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 10:09 pm

helmesy wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 9:39 pm
cqtiger wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 8:49 pm
What happened about a new forward being announced when Maguire gets here? Supposedly signed and just waiting for the new coach for it to be announced?

Obviously, it’s rubbish.... again.
It was just a myth...just like the mystery prop, Curtis Rona, the Leichhardt oval soap and Ivan Cleary.
Oh dear, did one of the players bend over and pick up the Leichhardt oval soap... I didn’t hear about that one!
“...when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

User avatar
Fraze23
Member
Member
Posts: 1926
Joined: Thu 15 Jul, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Cambridge United Kingdom

Post by Fraze23 » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 11:00 pm

tiger05premier wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 8:29 pm
bathursttiger wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:57 pm
tiger05premier wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:34 pm
bathursttiger wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:12 pm


Bubbba only retired last season.
Really? ?

Where was he playing? ?

Must really enjoy it

Do you know his age?

He played for Cargo a small country town I think he was 47.
Cheers bathursttiger
I played against Bubba a few years back when he was at Mudgee. I think he played for just about every team in Group 10.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41513
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:27 am

Chris wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:46 pm
Is it just me or does it seem like we've needed a center and an impact forward/big name prop since 2000?
If we'd had Rowdy pre hip and Ayshford before his baby was born I'd have taken that combination every season since 2000

Elford and Whatuira wasn't ugly either

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41513
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:41 am

Day 6 Madge

No signings Madge

The Forum isn't happy Madge

Time for an announcement me thinks ...........

Reckon Sunday morning we will hear something ....if not .......Madge ......

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41513
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 1:27 am

bigsiro wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 2:08 pm
2041 wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 10:09 am
gallagher wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 9:57 am
2041 wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 4:35 am


Missing the point, again. Once you've bought the Maserati you can't afford anything in the hardware store.

Everyone knows we needs a centre and an impact forward. Why are we trying to spend lots of money on a hooker?

I'll give you another comparison. Your wife says she'll leave you if you don't take her on holiday. You buy a Maserati, reasoning that she'll be super impressed on the drive to the airport. She is, but you haven't got any money left for flights. She leaves you.
You're assuming we don't have the cap space to improve all our weaknesses over the next two seasons. Im assuming Maguire is better informed of your our cap situation than you.
Yes, I'm assuming we don't have enough money to re-sign Brooks, sign Cook, sign a marquee centre and a marquee middle or edge forward, continue paying Reynolds, Mbye and Packer, and have a full roster of 30 players. Yes, I also assume Maguire has more detailed information than this. Time will tell.
@2041 I like your points and largely I agree with the fact that IF cap space is an issue then judgement calls need to be made. But it is just way too assumptive.

Yes, prioritizing a gun centre and gun forward is the go. Settling for anything less will be unacceptable.
Every team seems to have cap space for a least a few marquee players. We currently have no marquee players now (and NO, Brooks and Mbye are not marquee...at least not yet).
So, if signing a marquee centre and forward transpires then I'll be beaming.

But, if we simply go for "value for money" and "good rather than great" like what @happy wants, then give me Cook.

The analogy of the holiday or the cars doesn't check out for me either. The opportunity cost of signing a player like Cook is not as you say it is. It is more like we have a fleet of Toyota's and we are looking to upgrade a few of them. That's all. Sure, if we were signing 3 Latrell Mitchell's then maybe that might raise a few eyebrows re cap space and we might have to forego or release some first-graders, but we aren't even close to that. So, I think it is important to entertain every single option where we can have players that improve our team (and not poo-poo them because you assume we can't effectively manage our cap or TPA's).

The whole Cook discussion is likely moot, but I don't think this Cook would spoil the broth.....so to speak..... ;)
So working off a rating system from say A TO E of the top 32 centres and back rowers I'd class as good a Top 8 in their position

Very good would be top 4

If we were being realistic having a centre / backrower from the Top 8 is acceptable , Marsters in already close if not Top 8

Hookers have changed a bit in the last 3-4 seasons to be honest

Once you took out the top 3-4 the next 9 were reasonable close in talent across the board so you were really only losing out to Smith and the other top 3

Now I reckon the gap has widened quite considerably from the Top 3 , Cook is a good signing , but I'd only offer a 3 year deal

Lot of the top hookers are getting very close to the top of the mountain

Smith 36
Farah 35
Luke 32
Hodgson 30
Granville 30
McCullough 29
Peats 29
Rein 29
Segeyaro 29
Friend 29
Cook 29
Koroisai 26
Lichaa 26
McInnes 25
Levi 23
Pritchard 25
Brailley 23
JMK 23
Slade Griffin 27 , off contract in 2019 .......

A lot of those blokes aren't going to be around in a few seasons , snapping up the next big thing could be the key

Post Reply