Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

tigersteve
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Unread post by tigersteve » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 6:43 pm

I really liked Grant's last few games this year. I would like to see him put on a few kg's around the thighs and get more leg drive. He's just short of potentially being our most damaging forward...someone who can break thru the first line and offload. He's a smart footballer. Packer is a good signing but after looking at all his games this year he needs to stop going backwards from marker in defence.

tig_prmz
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 7:46 pm

colmcd wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 4:36 pm
Geo. wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 4:06 pm
magpiecol wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 3:46 pm
I remember when Benji first came down. I was up the central coast walking on the beach. I am not kidding, every kid on that beach was doing the Benji sidestep. This happened everywhere. Footballers are role models. No doubt.
That's called Idolising Col..
Don't matter what it is called.

You see an Idol spend 5 minutes after a game, sign a few posters, high 5 a kid and they think "wow". Then it is great for our Club.
You see a guy walk straight off and do NOTHING, well that's not the kind of team we want to build.
You see an "idol" bash their wife or hit a cop... It's monkey see monkey do!

Kids will want to be Footballers, they will copy what Benji and our other players do.
well said!
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Lidcombe Magpie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Lidcombe Magpie » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 7:46 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 4:11 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 1:24 pm
hobbo wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 1:19 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 12:28 pm

Further to this, given the amount of charity work Reynolds does, to say he's the biggest goose of all time is harsh. Also, if we had to pay that much for him, how much would we have has to pay a guy like Cronk or Moylan?
On the field Reynolds is a tool .... Then take away his enthusiasm he's an average player at best .
As for his charity work off the field that's great !

Off the field I couldn't care if players choose to bubble at urinals , hump pets or drink breezers on rooftops.
It's about winning games on the field .

As for Cronk and Moylan , did we even enquire about there services or was it all speculation as it is on here with EVERY player that's up for a contract renewal or is looking for a sea change ?
For an average player, he got one hell of a send off by Dogs fans. They loved the guy. I think he'll be a revelation under Cleary. Hasler damaged him beyond belief imo.
Have you ever spoken to a Dogs supporter,??
I wouldn't doubt that they love him, it's a pity that they can't lift their knuckles of the ground to shake his hand and say goodbye.
Seriously that has to be the most inane comment I have read in a long time

If you were trying to be funny, you weren't

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by formerguest » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 8:19 pm

Geo. wrote:
magpiecol wrote:
I remember when Benji first came down. I was up the central coast walking on the beach. I am not kidding, every kid on that beach was doing the Benji sidestep. This happened everywhere. Footballers are role models. No doubt.
Not very often that I agree with Col, but they were modelling their play on a role their idol plays out. Just as kids get lippy towards refs because they copy the example of their idols.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 393 times

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 8:44 pm

formerguest wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 8:19 pm
Geo. wrote:
magpiecol wrote:
Not very often that I agree with Col, but they were modelling their play on a role their idol plays out. Just as kids get lippy towards refs because they copy the example of their idols.
Which is exactly why they aren't Role Models..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 10:05 pm

Lidcombe Magpie wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 7:46 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 4:11 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 1:24 pm
hobbo wrote:

On the field Reynolds is a tool .... Then take away his enthusiasm he's an average player at best .

Off the field I couldn't care if players choose to bubble at urinals , hump pets or drink breezers on rooftops.

As for Cronk and Moylan , did we even enquire about there services or was it all speculation as it is on here with EVERY player that's up for a contract renewal or is looking for a sea change ?
For an average player, he got one hell of a send off by Dogs fans. They loved the guy. I think he'll be a revelation under Cleary. Hasler damaged him beyond belief imo.
Have you ever spoken to a Dogs supporter,??
I wouldn't doubt that they love him, it's a pity that they can't lift their knuckles of the ground to shake his hand and say goodbye.
Seriously that has to be the most inane comment I have read in a long time

If you were trying to be funny, you weren't
So you don't get to read too much then???

most things that àre connected with grubbiness is sure to resonate with a lot of their supporters.

tig_prmz
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 10:10 pm

one thing we don't need is props this time tbh

matulino, twal, packer, sue and grant is one of the best top 5 in the comp
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

sideline eye
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by sideline eye » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 10:59 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 29 Oct, 2017 9:01 am
I'm a bit mythed that he's already giving Cleary a pass for the next two years for not making the finals. Funny, the last coach never got that pass. Then again, it was personal with the last coach.
Obviously not reading the posts too well again.
At the time he took over we were a team going nowhere, in the time he has had us he has at least got us to look like a football team at times and brought up a couple of kids who look ok.
I'm not giving him a pass even for one yearlet alone two, I merely said that the expectancy isn't high for next year and he could possibly lift us a couple of spots.

We are the only people who are waffling about Semis, and not many on here are even thinking that.
A reasonable improvement will be what we should be expecting, and if he does that, A lot will be satisfied,
Those who expect miracles won't be.
He be under more pressure in 2019, but what we've seen so far is enough to see that he should be able to change the attitude on the field.
As for that other so called Coach,
His main claim to fame here is that he managed to put so many to sleep with his so called Coaching , along with being the Coach with the most slogans and excuses in the games history.
I supported JT as coach for no other reason than he was our coach, appointed by the club that I support. I also support Ivan for the same reason but I do acknowledge he seems to be a better coach. However, even if he fails (and I don't think he will), I'll go on supporting him because he's Wests Tigers coach. Yes I'm delusional, a diehard etc but that's the way I am.

So far, I have seen a marked improvement from the team that Ivan inherited and with the side that he has recruited, I believe that we are top 8 bound in 2018.....especially if we, as supporters, get out to the games and drive them towards improbable/impossible victories. Supporters can make a marked difference in a team's performances on field. Go the coach, go the team and GO THE WESTS TIGERS!!!!!
(BTW I wasn't answering GCT, just trying to keep the subject together by using the quotation button)

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 77 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 11:04 pm

hobbo wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 3:17 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 2:49 pm
hobbo wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 12:28 pm

Further to this, given the amount of charity work Reynolds does, to say he's the biggest goose of all time is harsh. Also, if we had to pay that much for him, how much would we have has to pay a guy like Cronk or Moylan?

Do you have kids?
Sorry but it needs to be about more than just winning games.
Yeah I want to follow a successful club but I want to be able to respect the blokes playing for my club AND I want to see kids be able to admire and model our professional players
Yes I have kids ... This is Rugby League were talking about right ??!
Yep, rugby league - hard, tough uncompromising. But you can be all that and still behave and act normally.
No matter how you look at it - these guys are paraded in front of us every day with every aspect of their life there for all to see. It might not be right but that’s the way it is. Because of this massive exposure and thus influence, they live like kings. Good luck to them but they have to accept the need to model good behaviour, values etc. comes with the territory

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 77 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 11:13 pm

tigersteve wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 6:43 pm
I really liked Grant's last few games this year. I would like to see him put on a few kg's around the thighs and get more leg drive. He's just short of potentially being our most damaging forward...someone who can break thru the first line and offload. He's a smart footballer. Packer is a good signing but after looking at all his games this year he needs to stop going backwards from marker in defence.
Hey you’ve pinched my name!! Two Tiger Steve’s will be interesting

cqtiger
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by cqtiger » Sat 11 Nov, 2017 9:06 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 11:13 pm
tigersteve wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 6:43 pm
Hey you’ve pinched my name!! Two Tiger Steve’s will be interesting
Yes it certainly will be interesting. Over the years some of my posts have been mixed up by some by cktiger and others.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

goldcoast tiger

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 11 Nov, 2017 9:40 am

colmcd wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 1:36 pm
hobbo wrote:

On Cronk and Moylan... We showed a lot of interest in Moylan. I heard nothing about Us offering deals to Cronk.

Cronk IMHO we should have really pressed for an offer. I think resigning Brooks then Marshall locked us into not taking Cronk. He would have been $1M or even $1.2M per season for us and worth it. I don't think we were even considered though.

As for picking good players but not caring for their off field behaviour... I hear you on Bubblers and silly stuff with dogs. This should have been laughed off, they are football players and will do silly things.

However Kids look up to our players. Reynolds shows himself as a champion person, someone who does Charity work and signs autographs is the exact kind of person we NEED and should have on the team. If some nob can play a margin better then him, but acts like a total nob off the field they can get off the bus now!

Stuff the finals, competitive team sure but lets remember that these guys are role models and tigers first!
I'm sure then that we will be featured highly wherever the nicest players never to win a premiership are discussed
And I agree that they are not rol Models.
They're a cross section of society the same as any group in that age group
Unless they do something really bad, I look at them as footballers, and their ability to play

goldcoast tiger

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 11 Nov, 2017 9:46 am

Russell wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 5:07 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 29 Oct, 2017 9:01 am
I'm a bit mythed that he's already giving Cleary a pass for the next two years for not making the finals. Funny, the last coach never got that pass. Then again, it was personal with the last coach.
Obviously not reading the posts too well again.
At the time he took over we were a team going nowhere, in the time he has had us he has at least got us to look like a football team at times and brought up a couple of kids who look ok.
I'm not giving him a pass even for one yearlet alone two, I merely said that the expectancy isn't high for next year and he could possibly lift us a couple of spots.

We are the only people who are waffling about Semis, and not many on here are even thinking that.
A reasonable improvement will be what we should be expecting, and if he does that, A lot will be satisfied,
Those who expect miracles won't be.
He be under more pressure in 2019, but what we've seen so far is enough to see that he should be able to change the attitude on the field.
As for that other so called Coach,
His main claim to fame here is that he managed to put so many to sleep with his so called Coaching , along with being the Coach with the most slogans and excuses in the games history.
Don't remember him offering too many excuses myself - couple of reasons were offered at times.

He also never bagged any of his players.
Probably wasn't game too. The last time that he had a disagreement with one of his players , he ended up on his back. :lol:
Last edited by goldcoast tiger on Sat 11 Nov, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Russell
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 124 times

Unread post by Russell » Sat 11 Nov, 2017 10:13 am

Geo. wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 8:44 pm
formerguest wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 8:19 pm
Geo. wrote:
magpiecol wrote:
Which is exactly why they aren't Role Models..
I think they are Geo - just that they are very poor ones.

That is the point of the role model topic here. We don't want very poor role models. imo

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 204 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 11 Nov, 2017 10:25 am

The definition of role model is a person looked to by others as an example to be imitated. Kids imitate football players, hence they are role models.

Fibros
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Fibros » Sat 11 Nov, 2017 11:45 am

I believe most kids look upon NRL stars as role models. At the same time most adults see them as idols.

Idol- a person or thing that is greatly admired, loved, or revered.

Role model- a person looked to by others as an example to be imitated.

Telltails
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by Telltails » Sat 11 Nov, 2017 11:53 am

It takes more than being good at sport to be considered a role model particularly when the group of people you are referrimg to are often not much older than kids themselves.
Young men will all mostly make mistakes and social media gives a forum for all those who have short memories to go hell for leather.
A bit rich banging on about the good role model tag when we have a new player at our club who has been given a second chance, and is now being embraced as our new enforcer.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 204 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 11 Nov, 2017 11:55 am

Telltails wrote:
Sat 11 Nov, 2017 11:53 am
It takes more than being good at sport to be considered a role model particularly when the group of people you are referrimg to are often not much older than kids themselves.
Young men will all mostly make mistakes and social media gives a forum for all those who have short memories to go hell for leather.
A bit rich banging on about the good role model tag when we have a new player at our club who has been given a second chance, and is now being embraced as our new enforcer.
You're ignoring the definition of the term.

Return to “Player Contract Rumours & Discussion”