Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

tiger05premier

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Post by tiger05premier » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 9:51 am

TigerSkins wrote:
Wed 21 Feb, 2018 9:32 am
Tiger Watto wrote:
Wed 21 Feb, 2018 9:00 am
Bob wrote:
Tue 20 Feb, 2018 10:08 pm
I don’t have a problem with successful clubs being successful. I take issue with some clubs flaunting the rules and not others.

Have a salary cap that each team must stick to that is covered by the NRL.

Have unlimited TPA’s a player can receive regardless of who organises it.

Each player must be paid a minimum out of the cap that co incides with their resume.

The part I hate is that clubs flaunt the rules without being reprimanded some stick to the rules and others get penalised.. why?

I am sure there is no limit to TPA’s that could be organised for good players.
I mentioned this a week or so ago, but I doubt many clubs are breaking the rules.

There will be clubs who follow the rules as outlined, and there will be clubs who do things that dont break the rules.

Two seperate approaches with both being right.

The catalyst is money. Some clubs have access to more money from external factors than others. If Michael Morgan gets a house built for him because he is a great bloke, and the builder has no affiliations to the club, what can the NRL do?
Most of the Cows players have had a house given ... oops I meant built for them cause they great blokes .. !! It happens on the Gold Coast as well .. a certain player up there, "next in line to be a King" had a house built for him cause he was a great bloke .. it was a magnificent house .. but at the end of his career he sold up and got over a handy 3.5 mil for the house he lived in for 2 years ..!! So the question here is are these houses part of their salary or TPA's or are they just freebies .. ??
Freebies

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 11:20 am

bathursttiger wrote:
Tue 20 Feb, 2018 8:04 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 20 Feb, 2018 6:24 pm
supercoach wrote:
Tue 20 Feb, 2018 2:49 pm
Tiger Watto wrote:
Tue 20 Feb, 2018 2:38 pm
The problem with both the comparisons of TPA's is it only factors in the NRL approved ones.

The RLPA is zero chance of agreeing to access to players financials.

The only way to develop system is a points system... While money is involved, there will ALWAYS be corruption!
100% agreed.....There are a 101 ways you can pay a player extra without attracting the salary cap auditor. The only system that will work is a point system. Doubt we will ever see it because it would appear powerful people do not want a level playing field
I don't agree, a points system is flawed and could potentially subject to legal action. NRL cannot restrain trade, that is why TPAs exist. If NRL was to arbitrarily assign points to players, it would directly influence the relative value of players and hence their potential earnings, and would be challenged.

The system of how you might determine player points would be subject to constant argument, just like how fantasy football works, where you assign X points for something you (or a committee) feels is relevant.

Do you assign points only or also cap the salary? Because you'd end up in the same place, where Roosters can afford the "best" 10s, the best 9s, the best 8s etc. and would not be subject to financial restrictions. Also, often the "value" of a player is dependent on the club, not what a centralised body might decide is the relative value.

Can anyone show me any professional sport anywhere in the world where a centralised points system is applied to teams, rather than a salary cap?
The NRL can set or change any rule they want to, if a certain club doesn't like it then they can hand in the Franchise licence.
While ever you have a cap and Brown paper bags there is never going to be a level playing field.
Well the NRL can't do whatever they want, not if it conflicts with the law. I agree they hold a lot of power against clubs, but I'm not really talking about clubs, I'm talking about players.

If you put a system in place that infringes on a players' legal rights, they can and will fight it. The RLPA is only ever getting bigger, not smaller.

So if a centrally-administered points system comes to restrict the trade of a player, it will eventually get challenged in court. If Player X gets rated a "2" and nobody will pay him more than $80K, he may well decide to challenge the NRL that their arbitrary rating is impacting his livelihood.

There's never a level playing field and there never will be. Nothing in the world is truly a level playing field, I can't even think of a single example.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 11:53 am

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 21 Feb, 2018 11:20 am
bathursttiger wrote:
Tue 20 Feb, 2018 8:04 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 20 Feb, 2018 6:24 pm
supercoach wrote:

100% agreed.....There are a 101 ways you can pay a player extra without attracting the salary cap auditor. The only system that will work is a point system. Doubt we will ever see it because it would appear powerful people do not want a level playing field
I don't agree, a points system is flawed and could potentially subject to legal action. NRL cannot restrain trade, that is why TPAs exist. If NRL was to arbitrarily assign points to players, it would directly influence the relative value of players and hence their potential earnings, and would be challenged.

The system of how you might determine player points would be subject to constant argument, just like how fantasy football works, where you assign X points for something you (or a committee) feels is relevant.

Do you assign points only or also cap the salary? Because you'd end up in the same place, where Roosters can afford the "best" 10s, the best 9s, the best 8s etc. and would not be subject to financial restrictions. Also, often the "value" of a player is dependent on the club, not what a centralised body might decide is the relative value.

Can anyone show me any professional sport anywhere in the world where a centralised points system is applied to teams, rather than a salary cap?
The NRL can set or change any rule they want to, if a certain club doesn't like it then they can hand in the Franchise licence.
While ever you have a cap and Brown paper bags there is never going to be a level playing field.
Well the NRL can't do whatever they want, not if it conflicts with the law. I agree they hold a lot of power against clubs, but I'm not really talking about clubs, I'm talking about players.

If you put a system in place that infringes on a players' legal rights, they can and will fight it. The RLPA is only ever getting bigger, not smaller.

So if a centrally-administered points system comes to restrict the trade of a player, it will eventually get challenged in court. If Player X gets rated a "2" and nobody will pay him more than $80K, he may well decide to challenge the NRL that their arbitrary rating is impacting his livelihood.

There's never a level playing field and there never will be. Nothing in the world is truly a level playing field, I can't even think of a single example.
That’s not how a points system would work the club can pay player X $2million, but in the it counts as a 2 in the clubs cap.
Try looking at V8 Supercars where all cars have the same running gear except for the brand of the motor, all have the same weight and same aerodynamics.
Yes the richer teams spend more,but that is being curtailed.
The drivers abilities are the main difference.
I just don’t think that is a fair and level playing field when a club like Storm can spend $800K a year extra on players and say everything’s equal.
The salary cap was introduced to create a level playing field, now flaunted by a few clubs.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:06 pm

TigerSkins wrote:
Wed 21 Feb, 2018 9:32 am
Tiger Watto wrote:
Wed 21 Feb, 2018 9:00 am
Bob wrote:
Tue 20 Feb, 2018 10:08 pm
I don’t have a problem with successful clubs being successful. I take issue with some clubs flaunting the rules and not others.

Have a salary cap that each team must stick to that is covered by the NRL.

Have unlimited TPA’s a player can receive regardless of who organises it.

Each player must be paid a minimum out of the cap that co incides with their resume.

The part I hate is that clubs flaunt the rules without being reprimanded some stick to the rules and others get penalised.. why?

I am sure there is no limit to TPA’s that could be organised for good players.
I mentioned this a week or so ago, but I doubt many clubs are breaking the rules.

There will be clubs who follow the rules as outlined, and there will be clubs who do things that dont break the rules.

Two seperate approaches with both being right.

The catalyst is money. Some clubs have access to more money from external factors than others. If Michael Morgan gets a house built for him because he is a great bloke, and the builder has no affiliations to the club, what can the NRL do?
Most of the Cows players have had a house given ... oops I meant built for them cause they great blokes .. !! It happens on the Gold Coast as well .. a certain player up there, "next in line to be a King" had a house built for him cause he was a great bloke .. it was a magnificent house .. but at the end of his career he sold up and got over a handy 3.5 mil for the house he lived in for 2 years ..!! So the question here is are these houses part of their salary or TPA's or are they just freebies .. ??
untraceable freebies... 'Developer Stock' is a common term used when a developer inherits X amount of units in a complex which are not for sale to the general public. A developer may hang onto his 'stock' for 10 years before selling it off for
$1 to a 'good friend', notably a player who has already finished his career. Even if the NRL did audit players bank accounts etc, they would never be allowed to do it after he no longer has an NRL Contract.

The smart clubs who have access to more money externally will always be ahead of those who dont.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

barra

Post by barra » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:25 pm

supercoach wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:
Tue 20 Feb, 2018 2:38 pm
The problem with both the comparisons of TPA's is it only factors in the NRL approved ones.

The RLPA is zero chance of agreeing to access to players financials.

The only way to develop system is a points system... While money is involved, there will ALWAYS be corruption!
Points rating system, all the way!

You never now, it may come about sooner rather than later because the press finally seems to be getting their teeth into the 'uneven' level playing field that the salary cap/TPA system creates and hopefully they will clamp down on it and keep shaking it. The more pressure that builds on the NRL to release information, the more change we may see.

barra

Post by barra » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:37 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 21 Feb, 2018 11:20 am

Can't agree mate. If a system is developed to quantify a player's talent, and those fields are known and published, and he is scored based on those fields, what grounds does he have to argue on?

Not trying to create an argument but I am genuinely interested in how this can happen, not why it can't... You're right that there will never be a totally level playing field but a player rating points system would certainly be a massive improvement!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 1:19 pm

I think it can be argued because what it boils down to is one persons opinion on another players worth.
We all have the right to try and get the best deal we can for ourselves

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 1:55 pm

Am I the only one that completely missed the memo that Nathan Milone had signed for Wenty?

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 1:59 pm

Frank-Paul Nuuausala on his way back from England via The Mole.
No more plodders!
:sign:

will1999

Post by will1999 » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 2:01 pm

wt00 wrote:
Wed 21 Feb, 2018 1:59 pm
going to the knights

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 2:03 pm

Why can't it work?????

Have no idea of numbers but suppose each club can have an NRL team of 150 points and they must fit 30 players into that 150.

Say Cronk is rated a 10, Tedesco 10, Keary 7 etc. etc.

It doesn't matter whether you pay Cronk $10 or $1,000,000 he is still going to count as 10 points.

It is not a restriction of payments and tpa's are included and so on. There would still need to be a minimum wage.

You need to have some smart people to rate the players - that is the only contention.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 2:18 pm

Russell wrote:
Wed 21 Feb, 2018 2:03 pm
Why can't it work?????

Have no idea of numbers but suppose each club can have an NRL team of 150 points and they must fit 30 players into that 150.

It doesn't matter whether you pay Cronk $10 or $1,000,000 he is still going to count as 10 points.

It is not a restriction of payments and tpa's are included and so on. There would still need to be a minimum wage.

You need to have some smart people to rate the players - that is the only contention.
I totally agree Russ, the only problem I see is that it might create a level playing field, the power brokers (Nic and co) wouldn't let it happen.

madgey76

Post by madgey76 » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 2:27 pm

Is this a rumour thread or a salary cap thread.
Just asking for a friend 😝

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 2:42 pm

wt00 wrote:
Wed 21 Feb, 2018 1:59 pm
There's a reason Frank-Paul the wrecking ball was in England. Not really someone I'd be looking to sign at the moment. Especially with all the forwards we have now.
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 3:29 pm

madgey76 wrote:
Wed 21 Feb, 2018 2:27 pm
A rumour that the Roosters are under the salary cap and will be adding Josh Mansour, Nathan Cleary and Jason Taumalolo to their roster in 2019...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

Fibros

Post by Fibros » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 3:39 pm

Russell wrote:
Wed 21 Feb, 2018 2:03 pm
Why can't it work?????

If players are ranked on achievements rather then ability the system would be fair and transparent.
We will smash em 50+ get on.

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 3:39 pm

madgey76 wrote:
Was wondering the same thing myself can we keep to the subject please :brick:

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 3:39 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 21 Feb, 2018 3:29 pm
madgey76 wrote:
A rumour that the Roosters are under the salary cap and will be adding Josh Mansour, Nathan Cleary and Jason Taumalolo to their roster in 2019...
That's alright. They'll lose Mitch Cornish to fit those 3 in.