Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Cairnstigers

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Post by Cairnstigers » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 7:34 am

Kerry Cogger wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 12:00 am
Bob wrote:
Tue 17 Jul, 2018 10:41 pm
Kerry Cogger wrote:
Tue 17 Jul, 2018 8:20 pm
Cairnstigers wrote:
Tue 17 Jul, 2018 7:07 pm
Look
If TP Junior had an offer from the Tigers for say $650000 and that was the largest offer then that would be his Value
If he decides that he wants to sign with the Roosters for $450000 that's fine
But $650000 should come off the Roosters cap
You cant keep on paying players under their actual value (which is set by bidding clubs) on the books while topping it up with third party payments and expect a fair and close competition
Brilliant idea.That would provide complete parity. Third party payments could then be considered not part of the cap and the Roosters could give each of their players 20 million in 3rd party for all I care as if they had to pay a market vale for someone as per your TP idea then ALL teams would operate under a salary cap/system that would provide complete parity.

It would be easier to implement than you think too.Using your example, Once Wests Tigers said they would pay $650,000 a season for TP they would need to sign a legally binding tender saying as much. Surely the Influential RLPA would be for this because it would mean more money for their players too with unlimited 3rd party agreements.
But what if Cowboys offered brooks 700k a season and the tigers could only offer him 600k due to salary cap. Brooks wants to stay with the tigers because he doesn't want to live in Townsville and for 100k a year wants to keep playing for the tigers for sentimental reasons. Your scenario would force brooks out of the tigers simply because they wouldn't be cap compliment, forcing brooks to move to a town he didn't want to be in. It takes the final decision away from the player so the RLPA wouldn't go for it.
ahh yes good point.Perhaps the club in this case the cowboys could get a 50% credit in this case $50,000(50% of $100,000 unders) that tigers got him for. So in essence it would equate to ok Cowboys you missed out on Brooks but you now have an extra $50,000 in your salary cap to get your next player.

Lets use the Canberra raiders as an example here. No players want to live in Canberra so they are forced to pay overs for players so if they find themselves losing out with a brooks scenario two or three times they would soon have cap credits that would let them get their marquee player.

We could have a week of free agency at the end of each year for all these contracts to go down just like the NFL and it would be a great T.V Spectacle.
We are talking about a club stock piling the best players from other clubs
Like the Roosters
That has to stop

To answer the above scenario
If Brooks put himself on the open market and the cowboys put in a big offer he has to be prepared to move
Otherwise the tigers would need to negotiate a deal before he goes to the open market or better that offer
Sure if a player needs to pack up and leave town he should be compensated for doing so
But only the actuall cost of that move

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 8:24 am

The Patriot wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 7:07 am
Happy to miss out on Brain Kelly. Im sure there is better out there
No, there isn't really much else on the market at centre which is why they're going for him. Josh Morris was probably the next best option (even taking into account age and injury) and he's now off to the Sharks. The Roosters went shopping in ESL for a reason...

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 8:34 am

Nelson wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 8:24 am
The Patriot wrote:
No, there isn't really much else on the market at centre which is why they're going for him. Josh Morris was probably the next best option (even taking into account age and injury) and he's now off to the Sharks. The Roosters went shopping in ESL for a reason...
Kelly has the ability to consistently break the line. As long as he has a quick winger outside of him it is a good match.

Demps

Post by Demps » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 8:53 am

Nelson wrote:
The Patriot wrote:
We should hit up Tony Satini.....

Similar to Tim Simona but a bit more aggression.

Manly junior, was at Penrith playing cup last year and now at the mounties.

A very smart signing as hes young and has potential.... Think Taupau, AUSTIN, NAIQAMA type signing.... Could be a surprise break out star and would be relatively cheap.

Sydney boy so probably happy to return. And is already better than our backs on ISC.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 9:59 am

Demps wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 8:53 am
Nelson wrote:
The Patriot wrote:
We should hit up Tony Satini.....

Similar to Tim Simona but a bit more aggression.

Manly junior, was at Penrith playing cup last year and now at the mounties.

A very smart signing as hes young and has potential.... Think Taupau, AUSTIN, NAIQAMA type signing.... Could be a surprise break out star and would be relatively cheap.

Sydney boy so probably happy to return. And is already better than our backs on ISC.
He'd be a good depth signing but we need to sign a left centre that we know is NRL standard as well.

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 10:00 am

I confess as each day goes by without any news of signings for 2019 I'm starting to get a little worried. There's been plenty of news about players we are letting go and, for the most part, I don't think any of us are too concerned about the losses. But, lost players have to be replaced and if we're to be a better team in 2019 they have to be replaced by better players. Raising the bar a little, if we are to be a genuine title contender in 2019 we have to sign some of the best players available.
We just don't seem to be mentioned as bidders for any of the top players available and one by one the better players available are going to other clubs. Day by day the pool of good players on the market is shrinking to a puddle.
Is anyone out there getting concerned?

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 10:23 am

coivtny wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 10:00 am
I confess as each day goes by without any news of signings for 2019 I'm starting to get a little worried. There's been plenty of news about players we are letting go and, for the most part, I don't think any of us are too concerned about the losses. But, lost players have to be replaced and if we're to be a better team in 2019 they have to be replaced by better players. Raising the bar a little, if we are to be a genuine title contender in 2019 we have to sign some of the best players available.
We just don't seem to be mentioned as bidders for any of the top players available and one by one the better players available are going to other clubs. Day by day the pool of good players on the market is shrinking to a puddle.
No. You should expect a drop in activity post June 30. The club was busily negotiating Mbye and Farah for this year. There is still a stack of movement that can be expected prior to 2019 kick off and if anything we were guilty of going too hard too early last year. There will be movement out of the Roosters again and I'd also expect movement out of Penrith.

Elderslie Tiger

Post by Elderslie Tiger » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 11:05 am

Theres movement at the Broncos Korbin Sims has been signed by the Dragons hopefully more to come out of the Broncos.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 11:18 am

Nelson wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 10:23 am
coivtny wrote:
No. You should expect a drop in activity post June 30. The club was busily negotiating Mbye and Farah for this year. There is still a stack of movement that can be expected prior to 2019 kick off and if anything we were guilty of going too hard too early last year. There will be movement out of the Roosters again and I'd also expect movement out of Penrith.

So true, we have just been through the June 30 frenzy, so naturally things go a little quite, but you can bet your last penny that plenty is happening behind the scenes. As for very little quality stock being off contact, thats just not true, every player in the NRL is potentially off contract if a deal can be brokered. I am still confident we will snare at least 3 NRL standard players and probably handful of depth players. Anyway I don't expect to much news till we are around finals time and beyond

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 12:39 pm

Viliame Kikau re-signs with Pamfers till 2022...damn
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 12:46 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 12:39 pm
The salary cap goes a long way (at some Clubs).

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 12:49 pm

Geo. wrote:
We should have tried to sign him when he was ripping up the NYC with the Cowboys. Hopefully we're searching high and low for someone with similar attributes as it's exactly what we're lacking

clifferdSH

Post by clifferdSH » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 12:58 pm

coivtny wrote:
Behind the scenes we have a plan I can guarentee. Just because you don't hear any media reports doesn't mean we are in some sort of crisis

vlad

Post by vlad » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 1:35 pm

clifferdSH wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 12:58 pm
coivtny wrote:
Behind the scenes we have a plan I can guarentee. Just because you don't hear any media reports doesn't mean we are in some sort of crisis
It’s called the Isaac Moses effect

Who just happens to be the manager of TPJ

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 1:57 pm

clifferdSH wrote:
coivtny wrote:
Really?
I hope you’re correct but I am very skeptical when it comes to recruitment retention.
Players come up on the market and we only seem to be in the hunt for fringe players or players looking for their final contract - MBye being the exception.
Other than the coaches son, what rep player or ‘in his prime’ proven first grader are we linked to?
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

clifferdSH

Post by clifferdSH » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 2:03 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 1:57 pm
clifferdSH wrote:
coivtny wrote:
Really?
I hope you’re correct but I am very skeptical when it comes to recruitment retention.
Players come up on the market and we only seem to be in the hunt for fringe players or players looking for their final contract - MBye being the exception.
Other than the coaches son, what rep player or ‘in his prime’ proven first grader are we linked to?
Being a bottom feeder club it's near impossible to be able to recruit top tier players. Mbye, Reynolds, Packer and Mats I believe are just a tad below top tier but are still pretty damn good signings for where we were as a club. We aren't going to sign players like Cronk, Tedesco, Crichton like the Rorters did in a 12 month period but hopefully in the near future with a few top 8 finishes players will want to come to us

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 2:14 pm

coivtny wrote:
Good ................. it means we are onto something and not blabbing or leaking stories until such time as necessary or when both parties are comfortable as to the announcement.
Just hang on to your hat. It will happen.
If you're privy to everything right NOW what will you do for remaining 7 months before the start of next season?

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 2:18 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 12:49 pm
Geo. wrote:
We should have tried to sign him when he was ripping up the NYC with the Cowboys. Hopefully we're searching high and low for someone with similar attributes as it's exactly what we're lacking
Could we even talk to Kikau as he wasn't off contract until next year.