Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

yeti
Member
Member
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 5:38 pm

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Post by yeti » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:32 am

foreveratiger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:18 am
greatodensraven wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:55 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:19 am
junior05 wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 6:27 pm


In today's smh said he wants to stay at manly and have table a two year deal.
Probably straight out of his manager's playbook. I understood we were offering him a good deal longer than 2 years. I can't help but think a smashing like that will result in quite a few players leaving Manly.
Kelly & big Marty would do nicely!
Would love Marty back , straight swap with Russel Packer would be fine with me.
Keep them both! Big Russell would be much better with another big angry man beside him.


User avatar
Spartan117
Member
Member
Posts: 5836
Joined: Wed 07 Oct, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: Picnic Point, Sydney

Post by Spartan117 » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:35 am

yeti wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:32 am
foreveratiger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:18 am
greatodensraven wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:55 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:19 am


Probably straight out of his manager's playbook. I understood we were offering him a good deal longer than 2 years. I can't help but think a smashing like that will result in quite a few players leaving Manly.
Kelly & big Marty would do nicely!

Would love Marty back , straight swap with Russel Packer would be fine with me.
Keep them both! Big Russell would be much better with another big angry man beside him.

Yeti is right - Packer needs Matlino needs to get angry also.

I want the team to keep there eye on Cleary Jr. Thats the real play here

User avatar
foreveratiger
Member
Member
Posts: 12014
Joined: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 8:03 pm

Post by foreveratiger » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:40 am

yeti wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:32 am
foreveratiger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:18 am
greatodensraven wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:55 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:19 am


Probably straight out of his manager's playbook. I understood we were offering him a good deal longer than 2 years. I can't help but think a smashing like that will result in quite a few players leaving Manly.
Kelly & big Marty would do nicely!
Would love Marty back , straight swap with Russel Packer would be fine with me.
Keep them both! Big Russell would be much better with another big angry man beside him.
Sauaso Sue is starting to find some nice form , not sure if it's got to do with playing for a Contract ? but him and Twal are a nice rotation for us .
I don't mind Packer but i've watched him closely this year and seems very lazy at times and gets gassed quite quickly . If it came to it i would much rather Marty but i don't think he would be coming to us anyway .
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2202
Joined: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:52 am

Post by TCL » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:55 am

foreveratiger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:40 am
yeti wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:32 am
foreveratiger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:18 am
greatodensraven wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:55 am


Kelly & big Marty would do nicely!
Would love Marty back , straight swap with Russel Packer would be fine with me.
Keep them both! Big Russell would be much better with another big angry man beside him.
Sauaso Sue is starting to find some nice form , not sure if it's got to do with playing for a Contract ? but him and Twal are a nice rotation for us .
I don't mind Packer but i've watched him closely this year and seems very lazy at times and gets gassed quite quickly . If it came to it i would much rather Marty but i don't think he would be coming to us anyway .
I actually see Packer and to a lesser extent Mats running a lot of decoy runs. I wonder what the total meters run by those guys is. I did in years gone buy criticise our Pack for not having any support/decoy runners.

User avatar
momo&medo
Member
Member
Posts: 1180
Joined: Fri 20 May, 2016 9:48 am
Location: NSW central coast

Post by momo&medo » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 9:26 am

foreveratiger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:18 am
greatodensraven wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:55 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:19 am
junior05 wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 6:27 pm


In today's smh said he wants to stay at manly and have table a two year deal.
Probably straight out of his manager's playbook. I understood we were offering him a good deal longer than 2 years. I can't help but think a smashing like that will result in quite a few players leaving Manly.
Kelly & big Marty would do nicely!
Would love Marty back , straight swap with Russel Packer would be fine with me.
:crazy


Balmain Boy
Member
Member
Posts: 3171
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:22 pm

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:01 am

I wonder if people realise that it's a team tactic for the backs to do most of the hitups? When you're back are doing 3-4 hit ups every set it kind of shows that this is the plan... And leaving only 1-2 per set for the entire forward pack...

I'm not sure whether i agree with the tactic, we often struggle with our little backs trying to get out of our end. But on the other hand it means our forwards can defend more.

weststigerman
Member
Member
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 2:04 pm

Post by weststigerman » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:43 am

Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:01 am
I wonder if people realise that it's a team tactic for the backs to do most of the hitups? When you're back are doing 3-4 hit ups every set it kind of shows that this is the plan... And leaving only 1-2 per set for the entire forward pack...

I'm not sure whether i agree with the tactic, we often struggle with our little backs trying to get out of our end. But on the other hand it means our forwards can defend more.
Spot on. Too many people are looking at the stats.

Both Matulino and Packer were making big metres last year, they're making less metres now because they're playing a different game plan focused on defence.

This is why I think we need big wingers more than most other clubs. Nofa is great in our own end, as great as Thompson has been for us - this is his weakness. Someone like Tupou would be great for us.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 4737
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:16 am

foreveratiger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:18 am
greatodensraven wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:55 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:19 am
junior05 wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 6:27 pm


In today's smh said he wants to stay at manly and have table a two year deal.
Probably straight out of his manager's playbook. I understood we were offering him a good deal longer than 2 years. I can't help but think a smashing like that will result in quite a few players leaving Manly.
Kelly & big Marty would do nicely!
Would love Marty back , straight swap with Russel Packer would be fine with me.
Don't think so - swap for the Huth maybe.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5743
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:26 am

weststigerman wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:43 am
Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:01 am
I wonder if people realise that it's a team tactic for the backs to do most of the hitups? When you're back are doing 3-4 hit ups every set it kind of shows that this is the plan... And leaving only 1-2 per set for the entire forward pack...

I'm not sure whether i agree with the tactic, we often struggle with our little backs trying to get out of our end. But on the other hand it means our forwards can defend more.
Spot on. Too many people are looking at the stats.

Both Matulino and Packer were making big metres last year, they're making less metres now because they're playing a different game plan focused on defence.

This is why I think we need big wingers more than most other clubs. Nofa is great in our own end, as great as Thompson has been for us - this is his weakness. Someone like Tupou would be great for us.
My guess is this approach alleviates the forwards workload, allowing them to work harder in defence and put numbers into the tackle. Notice how tight our ruck has been all season, whereas in previous years we'd make good metres in the forwards, but then be cut up around the ruck.

Not quite sure where to look now that NRL Stats blows, but I wonder our metres gained as a team is in fact worse than 2017, if Packerline aren't "making the metres" vs line breaks and offloads conceded.

I think a team like Sharks have been the blueprint for backs taking the early hitup workload - they built their premiership on the back of Feki, Holmes, Leutele, Bird early-set work, then their forwards gang-tackled all match.

User avatar
avocadoontoast
Member
Member
Posts: 1212
Joined: Fri 11 Sep, 2009 10:53 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Post by avocadoontoast » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:47 am

Russell wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:16 am
foreveratiger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:18 am
greatodensraven wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:55 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:19 am


Probably straight out of his manager's playbook. I understood we were offering him a good deal longer than 2 years. I can't help but think a smashing like that will result in quite a few players leaving Manly.
Kelly & big Marty would do nicely!
Would love Marty back , straight swap with Russel Packer would be fine with me.
Don't think so - swap for the Huth maybe.
So you reckon Packer is better than Marty?

User avatar
swag tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2306
Joined: Wed 11 Nov, 2015 2:58 pm
Location: tiger island

Post by swag tiger » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:51 am

I would mind Tupou or Feki in the team as i couldn't help but notice that everytime Thompson made a run he was forced back 5 meters by the defense.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 4737
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:57 am

avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:47 am
Russell wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:16 am
foreveratiger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:18 am
greatodensraven wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:55 am


Kelly & big Marty would do nicely!
Would love Marty back , straight swap with Russel Packer would be fine with me.
Don't think so - swap for the Huth maybe.
So you reckon Packer is better than Marty?
Read the post correctly - I want both.

User avatar
avocadoontoast
Member
Member
Posts: 1212
Joined: Fri 11 Sep, 2009 10:53 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Post by avocadoontoast » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:58 am

Russell wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:57 am
avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:47 am
Russell wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:16 am
foreveratiger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:18 am


Would love Marty back , straight swap with Russel Packer would be fine with me.
Don't think so - swap for the Huth maybe.
So you reckon Packer is better than Marty?
Read the post correctly - I want both.
Would you swap Packer for Taupau if given the opportunity?

Boonboon2
Member
Member
Posts: 1803
Joined: Tue 12 Feb, 2013 5:10 pm

Post by Boonboon2 » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:23 pm

avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:58 am
Russell wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:57 am
avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:47 am
Russell wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:16 am


Don't think so - swap for the Huth maybe.
So you reckon Packer is better than Marty?
Read the post correctly - I want both.
Would you swap Packer for Taupau if given the opportunity?
Mayby - Mayby not

Taupau makes more meters and busts more tackles but he also makes a lot more errors and gives away a lot more penalties

Our style doesen't require our props to make lots of meters it requires them to defend, lead and hold the middle. Taupau would be wasted under that style and is Taupau worth changing the whole team

Packer has made 1 error and only given away 3 penalties all year whereas Taupau has 13 of both which means an extra 22 sets where we have to defend again

While Taupau extra attack migth be useful I think prop isn't where we need players.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 21850
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:34 pm

foreveratiger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:40 am
yeti wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:32 am
foreveratiger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:18 am
greatodensraven wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:55 am


Kelly & big Marty would do nicely!
Would love Marty back , straight swap with Russel Packer would be fine with me.
Keep them both! Big Russell would be much better with another big angry man beside him.
Sauaso Sue is starting to find some nice form , not sure if it's got to do with playing for a Contract ? but him and Twal are a nice rotation for us .
I don't mind Packer but i've watched him closely this year and seems very lazy at times and gets gassed quite quickly . If it came to it i would much rather Marty but i don't think he would be coming to us anyway .
The word on here the last week has been that he's already signed with Parra. If true, you can't accuse him of only playing for a contract. Which i don't think is the case. He's been one of our best forwards for a long time, till he started struggling with HIA's. Suddenly he gets over them and is tearing it up again. I'll be very disappointed with the club if they chose not to retain him, or didn't try hard enough.
Last edited by GNR4LIFE on Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 4737
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:34 pm

As we already have Packer and I think he is going well (still think he is playing injured) but despite that - no I wouldn't swap him for Taupau.

I would keep Packer and take Taupau or swap Huth for him (as I said).

Packer and Taupau are different types of Front rowers in my opinion, Packer is better for what we are doing now - but I would't say no to Taupau if he wanted to come to us for a reasonable figure (would not pay overs though).

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17532
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:39 pm

Demps wrote:
Sat 21 Jul, 2018 4:45 pm
Doggies are keen on Ava Seumanududguy
Doggies will sign him and ask him to be there for training on Monday morning, poor old Ava will drive down to Canberra.
And she's turning cold, at fifteen years old,
Taken too much slow, minds gone out to sea on the P&O,
Don't know what to do, rotten shade of blue,
Another case of "stupid is as stupid does..."

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

User avatar
avocadoontoast
Member
Member
Posts: 1212
Joined: Fri 11 Sep, 2009 10:53 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Post by avocadoontoast » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:40 pm

Boonboon2 wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:23 pm
avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:58 am
Russell wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:57 am
avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:47 am


So you reckon Packer is better than Marty?
Read the post correctly - I want both.
Would you swap Packer for Taupau if given the opportunity?
Mayby - Mayby not

Taupau makes more meters and busts more tackles but he also makes a lot more errors and gives away a lot more penalties

Our style doesen't require our props to make lots of meters it requires them to defend, lead and hold the middle. Taupau would be wasted under that style and is Taupau worth changing the whole team

Packer has made 1 error and only given away 3 penalties all year whereas Taupau has 13 of both which means an extra 22 sets where we have to defend again

While Taupau extra attack migth be useful I think prop isn't where we need players.
I would gladly take his errors and his penalties for what he produces on the field.

Taupau
Games – 18
Tackle Breaks – 74
PCM – 1018
Avg Hit Ups – 14
Offloads – 60
Tackles – 506
Tk Efficiency – 91.1%
Avg Metres – 165

Packer
Games – 14
Tackle Breaks – 3
PCM – 394
Avg Hit Ups – 7
Offloads – 3
Tackles – 408
Tk Efficiency – 87.5%
Avg Metres - 75

Post Reply