Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

TonyTiger

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Post by TonyTiger » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 11:23 am

TigerSkins wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 9:14 am
TonyTiger wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 11:41 pm
larrycorowa wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:13 pm
beachtiger wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 9:33 pm
I’m going to make a bold prediction that Reynolds will be gone either in the off season or by June 30 next year.

He has mentioned going to England earlier this year so either that or a club like the Titans that need some experience. As much as I like the bloke I can’t see what he brings to our team apart from huge heart and enthusiasm, a don’t think his skill set is something that we can build a future on.
Your kidding aren’t you? Did enough in 30mins to suggest he is going to be a valuable addition. He is the type of player that lifts a team when it is flat
Larry Corowa - just noticed your username, they were the days with Larry outsprinting everyone, scoring 4 tries a game for Balmain .. thanks for the memory jolt.
Do you remember David Grant? He played same time as Larry. Grant was an absolute machine!!! He used to line up attackers and hit them 100 miles an hour with a massive shoulder charge, cleaned up Charlie Frith big time at Redfern Oval one day ... ahhh, the memories.
David "Nana" Grant (1956–1994) was an Australian rugby league footballer of the 1970s and 1980s. He played for a number of teams in the New South Wales Rugby Football League (NSWRFL) competition.

Originally from Dubbo New South Wales Dubbo Cyms in rural New South Wales, Grant moved to Sydney and made his debut with the South Sydney Rabbitohs in 1976. The following year he moved to play for the Eastern Suburbs Roosters for one season, becoming the club's 678th capped player, before moving to spend four years with the Balmain Tigers. Upon leaving Balmain, the back-rower was named as the captain of the newly formed Canberra Raiders in its inaugural season in the New South Wales Rugby Football League premiership.

In Grant's first season he was selected to play for a Sydney representative team that toured New Zealand.

Grant was just 38 when he died of a heart attack in 1994.
Thanks for this post, I didn’t realised he died so young - he was a real cult hero at Balmain, being such a ferocious enforcer. Attacking players used to drop the ball frequently as they knew Grant would time his hits so that he smashed them the second they caught a pass!
We are lacking an enforcer like Grant who can put fear into the opposition attack .
- Marty Tapou is a modern day, more compliant enforcer for the modern day game which has softened somewhat, that we should be targeting.
The Roosters have Victor Radley. There’s not much of him but his hard hitting has the opposition looking up before receiving a pass.

prattenparkchild

Post by prattenparkchild » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 1:03 pm

I have to say that the overall strategy that I believe Cleary has/had planned in that, yes we amassed a plodder squad this season but make gradual improvements each successive year of say 3 x better players each time is good. My concern is no actual announced signings of better players. I'm nervous of their stated 'players under current contract will be announced at seasons end' (not direct quote there). Surely it can't mean players with extended contracts with their existing clubs at WT paying them out to come here? If they are players whose contracts are finishing this year there is absolutely no reason we should not announce. Who cares if it 'disrupts' their existing arrangements. Everyone else has announced, why shouldn't we? Too much nice guys still, be hard asses like our competitors.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 1:41 pm

prattenparkchild wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 1:03 pm
I have to say that the overall strategy that I believe Cleary has/had planned in that, yes we amassed a plodder squad this season but make gradual improvements each successive year of say 3 x better players each time is good. My concern is no actual announced signings of better players. I'm nervous of their stated 'players under current contract will be announced at seasons end' (not direct quote there). Surely it can't mean players with extended contracts with their existing clubs at WT paying them out to come here? If they are players whose contracts are finishing this year there is absolutely no reason we should not announce. Who cares if it 'disrupts' their existing arrangements. Everyone else has announced, why shouldn't we? Too much nice guys still, be hard asses like our competitors.
And "be patient" they say.
Do you really think we have signed anyone?
Even the Bulldogs with a messed up cap have announced a couple of signings.

prattenparkchild

Post by prattenparkchild » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 2:01 pm

If they haven't signed anyone and issued that false statement, they'd be lynched.

prattenparkchild

Post by prattenparkchild » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 2:05 pm

I still can't figure the salary cap breached clubs and new signings. Some of their new blood are on good dollars, how can this be possible, even with the questionable shedding of players supposedly to get back in the black, I just cant see enough wriggle room in the cap to accommodate. Does the nrl actually check new signing of breached clubs?

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 3:03 pm

TonyTiger wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 11:23 am
TigerSkins wrote:
TonyTiger wrote:
larrycorowa wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:13 pm

Your kidding aren’t you? Did enough in 30mins to suggest he is going to be a valuable addition. He is the type of player that lifts a team when it is flat
Larry Corowa - just noticed your username, they were the days with Larry outsprinting everyone, scoring 4 tries a game for Balmain .. thanks for the memory jolt.
Do you remember David Grant? He played same time as Larry. Grant was an absolute machine!!! He used to line up attackers and hit them 100 miles an hour with a massive shoulder charge, cleaned up Charlie Frith big time at Redfern Oval one day ... ahhh, the memories.
David "Nana" Grant (1956–1994) was an Australian rugby league footballer of the 1970s and 1980s. He played for a number of teams in the New South Wales Rugby Football League (NSWRFL) competition.

Originally from Dubbo New South Wales Dubbo Cyms in rural New South Wales, Grant moved to Sydney and made his debut with the South Sydney Rabbitohs in 1976. The following year he moved to play for the Eastern Suburbs Roosters for one season, becoming the club's 678th capped player, before moving to spend four years with the Balmain Tigers. Upon leaving Balmain, the back-rower was named as the captain of the newly formed Canberra Raiders in its inaugural season in the New South Wales Rugby Football League premiership.

x2- I wasn't aware either, however I do remember him well. What a quality competitor he was. Very sad to read that he passed so young.

In Grant's first season he was selected to play for a Sydney representative team that toured New Zealand.

Thanks for this post, I didn’t realised he died so young - he was a real cult hero at Balmain, being such a ferocious enforcer. Attacking players used to drop the ball frequently as they knew Grant would time his hits so that he smashed them the second they caught a pass!
We are lacking an enforcer like Grant who can put fear into the opposition attack .
- Marty Tapou is a modern day, more compliant enforcer for the modern day game which has softened somewhat, that we should be targeting.
The Roosters have Victor Radley. There’s not much of him but his hard hitting has the opposition looking up before receiving a pass.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 4:00 pm

I heard a news report this morning that Parramatta have salary cap breach problems again.

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 4:03 pm

TigerSJ wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 3:03 pm
TonyTiger wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 11:23 am
TigerSkins wrote:
TonyTiger wrote:

x2- I wasn't aware either, however I do remember him well. What a quality competitor he was. Very sad to read that he passed so young.

reading the above brings back great memories, of when i 1st started watching the tigers at leichhardt oval. back then in 3rd grade we had dennis bendell and wigham and in 1st grade pringle and mcmahon, oh the memories.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 4:05 pm

Newtown wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 4:00 pm
I heard a news report this morning that Parramatta have salary cap breach problems again.
Yep, this article is behind paywall something about below market value rent being charged to players
No more plodders!
:sign:

TopTiger

Post by TopTiger » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 4:10 pm

Will Parramatta ever learn!!

rex2ce

Post by rex2ce » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 4:16 pm

They should play for nil points next season, never learn

Bee-Em

Post by Bee-Em » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 4:17 pm

Perth Eels

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 4:20 pm

Bee-Em wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 4:17 pm
Perth Eels
Wyong Eels should be the go.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 4:50 pm

Can we have their new stadium
Its an opinion!

airbus

Post by airbus » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 4:56 pm

Corey Harawira-Naera deal apparently back on the table after failed attempt to sign him last year.

Demps

Post by Demps » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:01 pm

airbus wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 4:56 pm
Corey Harawira-Naera deal apparently back on the table after failed attempt to sign him last year.
Didn't he re sign long term with Penny?
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

kafta

Post by kafta » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:03 pm

airbus wrote:
Must be part of the Ivan compo package

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:05 pm

kafta wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:03 pm
airbus wrote:
Must be part of the Ivan compo package
My first thought too..
No more plodders!
:sign: