Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Nelson
Member
Member
Posts: 3414
Joined: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:17 am

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Post by Nelson » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:07 pm

Demps wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:01 pm
airbus wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 4:56 pm
Corey Harawira-Naera deal apparently back on the table after failed attempt to sign him last year.
Didn't he re sign long term with Penny?
End of 2020.


TonyTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon 04 Dec, 2017 12:41 pm

Post by TonyTiger » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:09 pm

bp tiger wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 4:03 pm
TigerSJ wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 3:03 pm
TonyTiger wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 11:23 am
TigerSkins wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 9:14 am


David "Nana" Grant (1956–1994) was an Australian rugby league footballer of the 1970s and 1980s. He played for a number of teams in the New South Wales Rugby Football League (NSWRFL) competition.

Originally from Dubbo New South Wales Dubbo Cyms in rural New South Wales, Grant moved to Sydney and made his debut with the South Sydney Rabbitohs in 1976. The following year he moved to play for the Eastern Suburbs Roosters for one season, becoming the club's 678th capped player, before moving to spend four years with the Balmain Tigers. Upon leaving Balmain, the back-rower was named as the captain of the newly formed Canberra Raiders in its inaugural season in the New South Wales Rugby Football League premiership.


x2- I wasn't aware either, however I do remember him well. What a quality competitor he was. Very sad to read that he passed so young.

In Grant's first season he was selected to play for a Sydney representative team that toured New Zealand.

Grant was just 38 when he died of a heart attack in 1994.
Thanks for this post, I didn’t realised he died so young - he was a real cult hero at Balmain, being such a ferocious enforcer. Attacking players used to drop the ball frequently as they knew Grant would time his hits so that he smashed them the second they caught a pass!
We are lacking an enforcer like Grant who can put fear into the opposition attack .
- Marty Tapou is a modern day, more compliant enforcer for the modern day game which has softened somewhat, that we should be targeting.
The Roosters have Victor Radley. There’s not much of him but his hard hitting has the opposition looking up before receiving a pass.
reading the above brings back great memories, of when i 1st started watching the tigers at leichhardt oval. back then in 3rd grade we had dennis bendell and wigham and in 1st grade pringle and mcmahon, oh the memories.
Dennis Bendall was my economics teacher at school, he had a shocking accident when on a camp - he swung on a rope into the water, went too far and broke his neck!
He was famous for his grass-cutting tackles (right around the ankles which would bring them down in a hurry), formed the best centre partnership in the comp with Wayne Wigham.
Neil Pringle was the best lock the tigers have ever fielded, remember the famous Lockwood/Pringle flick passes? - dazzling in those days, before it’s time really, just ask Benji.
Also Alan McMahon’s towering torpedo punts which towered over the lights at Leichhardt .. many years later Pat Richards brought his kicking skills.
As a kid you lost site of the field when everyone jumped to their feet shouting “Larry’s got the ball!” followed by the deafening roars as Larry left everyone in their wake!
Ahh, great memories.
Let’s target some players with the personalities and skills to re-invigorate today’s tiger youth.

airbus
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu 21 May, 2015 2:41 pm

Post by airbus » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:09 pm

They’ve obviously decided he’s a plodder and are prepared to let him go.

User avatar
sideline eye
Member
Member
Posts: 1024
Joined: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by sideline eye » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:12 pm

airbus wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:09 pm
They’ve obviously decided he’s a plodder and are prepared to let him go.
I'd like us to have a plodder like that!

TonyTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon 04 Dec, 2017 12:41 pm

Post by TonyTiger » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:15 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 4:50 pm
Can we have their new stadium
Redirect the funds to Leichhardt oval, install bidets in the toilets


TonyTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon 04 Dec, 2017 12:41 pm

Post by TonyTiger » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:18 pm

TonyTiger wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:15 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 4:50 pm
Can we have their new stadium
Redirect the funds to Leichhardt oval, install bidets in the toilets
The paperless office.

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 33100
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: The Village

Post by willow » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:21 pm

Back on topic please

User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 2295
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:39 pm

kafta wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:03 pm
airbus wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 4:56 pm
Corey Harawira-Naera deal apparently back on the table after failed attempt to sign him last year.
Must be part of the Ivan compo package
You could be right.
Its an opinion!

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6100
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:41 pm

Telltails wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 1:41 pm
prattenparkchild wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 1:03 pm
I have to say that the overall strategy that I believe Cleary has/had planned in that, yes we amassed a plodder squad this season but make gradual improvements each successive year of say 3 x better players each time is good. My concern is no actual announced signings of better players. I'm nervous of their stated 'players under current contract will be announced at seasons end' (not direct quote there). Surely it can't mean players with extended contracts with their existing clubs at WT paying them out to come here? If they are players whose contracts are finishing this year there is absolutely no reason we should not announce. Who cares if it 'disrupts' their existing arrangements. Everyone else has announced, why shouldn't we? Too much nice guys still, be hard asses like our competitors.
And "be patient" they say.
Do you really think we have signed anyone?
Even the Bulldogs with a messed up cap have announced a couple of signings.
Sign players for signing's sake? As PPC noted, replace lost players with BETTER players is the strategy.

Dogs lost Woods, Mbye, Reynolds, Graham, Morris twins in past 12 months and replaced with Foran (if he ever plays again), Christian Crichton, Nick Meaney, Jack Cogger and Jesse Sue. Go Bulldogs, rad.

airbus
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu 21 May, 2015 2:41 pm

Post by airbus » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:46 pm

Panthers won’t keep Cleary and Maloney. Chances are Jimmy will go and Luai play 6. They will need extra funds to upgrade Cleary so could release a couple of forwards like CHN, Merrin or Tamou

User avatar
TigerTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 578
Joined: Tue 13 Jun, 2017 4:56 pm

Post by TigerTiger » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:58 pm

airbus wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:46 pm
Panthers won’t keep Cleary and Maloney. Chances are Jimmy will go and Luai play 6. They will need extra funds to upgrade Cleary so could release a couple of forwards like CHN, Merrin or Tamou
Tyrone May also. Wouldn't say no to him either.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2757
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 6:43 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:41 pm
Telltails wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 1:41 pm
prattenparkchild wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 1:03 pm
I have to say that the overall strategy that I believe Cleary has/had planned in that, yes we amassed a plodder squad this season but make gradual improvements each successive year of say 3 x better players each time is good. My concern is no actual announced signings of better players. I'm nervous of their stated 'players under current contract will be announced at seasons end' (not direct quote there). Surely it can't mean players with extended contracts with their existing clubs at WT paying them out to come here? If they are players whose contracts are finishing this year there is absolutely no reason we should not announce. Who cares if it 'disrupts' their existing arrangements. Everyone else has announced, why shouldn't we? Too much nice guys still, be hard asses like our competitors.
And "be patient" they say.
Do you really think we have signed anyone?
Even the Bulldogs with a messed up cap have announced a couple of signings.
Sign players for signing's sake? As PPC noted, replace lost players with BETTER players is the strategy.

Dogs lost Woods, Mbye, Reynolds, Graham, Morris twins in past 12 months and replaced with Foran (if he ever plays again), Christian Crichton, Nick Meaney, Jack Cogger and Jesse Sue. Go Bulldogs, rad.

I would think that no club would sign players for signing sake. The Bulldogs have signed players they could afford in areas they need to strengthen - thats exactly what I would hope we start doing and sooner rather than later would be good.

User avatar
TigerSkins
Member
Member
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun 10 Nov, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Canberra

Post by TigerSkins » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 6:57 pm

airbus wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:46 pm
Panthers won’t keep Cleary and Maloney. Chances are Jimmy will go and Luai play 6. They will need extra funds to upgrade Cleary so could release a couple of forwards like CHN, Merrin or Tamou
A guy at my work is a former trainer at Penruff (many years ago) but is still in contact with people in the know back there .. he says there a good chance that Penruff are going to bite the bullet and let Nathan do, what Nathan wants to do .. !! He also said that the young half Luai is off the books and so is May .. so it sounds like they are going to keep those two as their 6 and 7 combo.

User avatar
swag tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2617
Joined: Wed 11 Nov, 2015 2:58 pm
Location: tiger island

Post by swag tiger » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 7:01 pm

TigerSkins wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 6:57 pm
airbus wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:46 pm
Panthers won’t keep Cleary and Maloney. Chances are Jimmy will go and Luai play 6. They will need extra funds to upgrade Cleary so could release a couple of forwards like CHN, Merrin or Tamou
A guy at my work is a former trainer at Penruff (many years ago) but is still in contact with people in the know back there .. he says there a good chance that Penruff are going to bite the bullet and let Nathan do, what Nathan wants to do .. !! He also said that the young half Luai is off the books and so is May .. so it sounds like they are going to keep those two as their 6 and 7 combo.
Let Nathan do what he wants to do?
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018 Winner of WTF Draft 2

User avatar
TigerTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 578
Joined: Tue 13 Jun, 2017 4:56 pm

Post by TigerTiger » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 7:14 pm

swag tiger wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 7:01 pm
TigerSkins wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 6:57 pm
airbus wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:46 pm
Panthers won’t keep Cleary and Maloney. Chances are Jimmy will go and Luai play 6. They will need extra funds to upgrade Cleary so could release a couple of forwards like CHN, Merrin or Tamou
A guy at my work is a former trainer at Penruff (many years ago) but is still in contact with people in the know back there .. he says there a good chance that Penruff are going to bite the bullet and let Nathan do, what Nathan wants to do .. !! He also said that the young half Luai is off the books and so is May .. so it sounds like they are going to keep those two as their 6 and 7 combo.
Let Nathan do what he wants to do?
I interpret that as let him leave (in 2019) if he wants to
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

User avatar
diedpretty
Member
Member
Posts: 2681
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:31 am
Location: port macquarie

Post by diedpretty » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 7:16 pm

airbus wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:46 pm
Panthers won’t keep Cleary and Maloney. Chances are Jimmy will go and Luai play 6. They will need extra funds to upgrade Cleary so could release a couple of forwards like CHN, Merrin or Tamou
Thats why i would be throwing a bit of money at Luai - I think he would be great with Brooks - if we don't get him it pushes his price up.

TYGA
Member
Member
Posts: 2303
Joined: Sat 23 May, 2015 11:17 pm

Post by TYGA » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 7:23 pm

WT2K wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:05 pm
kafta wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:03 pm
airbus wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 4:56 pm
Corey Harawira-Naera deal apparently back on the table after failed attempt to sign him last year.
Must be part of the Ivan compo package
My first thought too..
Best mates with Nathan Cleary.

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9751
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast

Post by Yossarian » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 7:27 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 7:16 pm
airbus wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:46 pm
Panthers won’t keep Cleary and Maloney. Chances are Jimmy will go and Luai play 6. They will need extra funds to upgrade Cleary so could release a couple of forwards like CHN, Merrin or Tamou
Thats why i would be throwing a bit of money at Luai - I think he would be great with Brooks - if we don't get him it pushes his price up.
Yeah agreed. If Nathan doesn't want to come I'd be offering Luai an attractive contract. He's wasted there. He's what 21? His ripe for the picking.

Post Reply