Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

diedpretty
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Unread post by diedpretty » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 7:32 am

Harvey wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 5:01 pm
The Farah rumours came from a director of Wests Ashfield
The director mustn't want Ivan as coach.

diedpretty
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 7:40 am

Boonboon2 wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 8:32 pm
The thing is I don't think the Roosters are breaching the cap - well not technically mayby a little in spirit.

They do manage their cap well using a number of strategies
1. My understanding is they pay a fixed price - No % of cap - so when the cap goes up like it has they are much less effected then other clubs.
2. They have a strategically bad year - You will note they came bottom 4 in 06,09,12,16. This is generally where they front load contracts so the year before they let go of a significant wack of players and dont replace them until the year after meaning they can front pay contracts giving them space moving forward to pick up big names
3. Uncle Nick but also the Roosters board which is filled with well know business people with lots of relationships which they leverage to get companies to pay 3rd parties legitemately for their players. I have seen this at a compnay I previously worked at a large financial services firm where we after a poker game and lots of drinks with 2 board members our CEO had agreed to sponsor Anasta and 1 other for 150k a year for no benefit I can remember seeing throughout the yr. You need the relationships to make this happen.
4. They buy players who have had off field issues on the discount contract after thier issues and help them which gets them on a low contract but also future loyalty to take less - Friend, Carney, Ferguson all being examples.

Broncos -Lots and lots of 3rd parties but that isnt cheating it is the NRL rules allowing it and uncle Wayne pays very little for props or wingers so spreads the money across other positions.
That's probably pretty close to the mark and if so your point 3 is where they cheat. The club is not allowed to have any involvement in the arrangement of TPAs. It's the biggest blight on the game and makes a complete mockery of the salary cap. Brisbane do it as well. It's too hard for the NRL to prove or police it so they just stick their heads in the sand and ignore it.

tiga4eva
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by tiga4eva » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 8:02 am

The year Roosters won in 2013, they added SBW,Jennings,Maloney and Luke O'Donnell all in one off season. I know it's simplistic, but there is no way you can add them to your roster in one off season without cheating.

supercoach
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 90 times

Unread post by supercoach » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 9:50 am

Till the NRL get 100% serious about the salary cap nothing much will change and I have my serious doubts they will ever have the ability to stop clubs from finding ways to supplement players wages. There are so many ways of indirectly paying players.

Really the only way out is the NRL actually put a value on every player and what the club actually pays the player doesn't matter, but they can only reach a certain number and they have to fit 30 players under that number. Okay how do you put a value on a player would be tricky, but i guess you would just put every player into a category and value the category.

Not going to happen, but the way the salary cap is at present is one of the biggest drawbacks in the NRL

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 203 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 10:50 am

Luke Hodge, who played over 300 games for Hawthorn, won 4 premierships and 2 Norm Smith medals, ended his career in similar fashion to Cronk. Everyone thought he would retire, but he's playing on with the Lions, who have been cellar dwellers for nearly a decade. It would be akin to Cronk going to the Knights. That would never happen in league. Only the rich and successful clubs benefit in our game.

Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 121 times

Unread post by 851 » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 1:01 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 10:50 am
Luke Hodge, who played over 300 games for Hawthorn, won 4 premierships and 2 Norm Smith medals, ended his career in similar fashion to Cronk. Everyone thought he would retire, but he's playing on with the Lions, who have been cellar dwellers for nearly a decade. It would be akin to Cronk going to the Knights. That would never happen in league. Only the rich and successful clubs benefit in our game.
That is a huge gamble for Hodge , he is a Hawthorne legend, could taint his career, look at Ablett jnr
Go hard or go home

sjtiger
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by sjtiger » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 2:34 pm

Just received a message from a huge Roosters fan. I'm taking it with a grain of salt atm, though I did hear about this last week elsewhere.

Cronk to Roosters...Pearce to Tigers 2018. I'd be really surprised at this...though I felt I should post it as it is a rumour!!!

dazza65
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by dazza65 » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 2:50 pm

sjtiger wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 2:34 pm
Just received a message from a huge Roosters fan. I'm taking it with a grain of salt atm, though I did hear about this last week elsewhere.

Cronk to Roosters...Pearce to Tigers 2018. I'd be really surprised at this...though I felt I should post it as it is a rumour!!!
Cronk to Roosters.....likely....6/4
Pearce to Tigers.......millions to 1....millions
----------------------------------------------
Tigers?!? - Driven mad since - 1969-201?

swag tiger
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by swag tiger » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 3:00 pm

dazza65 wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 2:50 pm
sjtiger wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 2:34 pm

Cronk to Roosters.....likely....6/4
Pearce to Tigers.......millions to 1....millions
He is a Balmain Junior after all.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 222 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 3:09 pm

More a Norths junior... Had a couple of years @ Balmain

helmesy
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by helmesy » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 4:33 pm

Yeah, not going to happen

Yossarian
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 115 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 4:41 pm

If you want an overly optimistic pipedream go with Cleary. Ink is right - he played for Asquith.

Boonboon2
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Boonboon2 » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 4:51 pm

tiga4eva wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 8:02 am
The year Roosters won in 2013, they added SBW,Jennings,Maloney and Luke O'Donnell all in one off season. I know it's simplistic, but there is no way you can add them to your roster in one off season without cheating.
This was the point I was making though they do it over 2 offseasons

At the end of 2011 they signed no one of any note (no FG at the time although a couple went on to be) and lost
Nat Myles - Origin Prop
Mark Riddell - Who was a FG hooker
Todd Carney -
Jason Ryles
Phil Graham

Then they had a poor season finishing bottom 4 but front loading the contracts of players and then let Anasta go the next year - so in effect swapped Maloney on the way up for Anansta on the way down but who was on big money

Also SBW would have had a lot of cash being 3rd parties because he attracts them and Nick could organise them

So as Isaid they took a bad year in 2012 to win a comp in 2013.

Again at the end of 2014 they let SBW and Minichello go and made no signings of note other then Blake Ferguson wh owas cheap because he had been out of the game and frontloaded in 2015 with a bad year so they could put together a good side for the next few yrs.

It is a plan and manangement of the cap by accepting a bad year every 4 yrs or so

Boonboon2
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Boonboon2 » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 5:03 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 4:41 pm
If you want an overly optimistic pipedream go with Cleary. Ink is right - he played for Asquith.
Ivan was at Roosters in 2005 as NSW Cup coach and pearce was coming through as he debuted in 2007. Wouldnt have coached him but would have been around, More importantly his dad is obviously close to the club and was at the GF luncheon just the other week. Pearce turns 29 early next year mayby he wants the opportunity now he has matured to play for his Dads old club especially if Roosters want Cronk for 2 years its not like he is going to play NSW cup and their arent that many clubs who he could go to especially as you'dimagine he would want to stay in Sydney

Penrith - N Cleary
Manly- DCE
Dragns - Ben Hunt
Eels - Just signed Moses
Sharks - Townsend this would be another option for him esp as they could let Maloney go
Dogs -Keiran Foran will be half and No room in the cap
Souths -Adam Reynolds - WOuldn't see Pearce as an upgrade for their team
Tigers - Money to spend, relationship with club and Luke Brooks

If Cronk comes to Sydney then it is either too Tigers or Sharks unless a club moves someone along and Roosters move Pearce along its us or Sharks

Yossarian

Unread post by Yossarian » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 5:36 pm

I appreciate your enthusiasm but I'd want to see a bit more than a tenuous lower grade link from 12 years ago and a familial relationship that has existed his entire first grade career. I'd be stunned if Pearce ends up here. I just don't see it happening.

Yossarian

Unread post by Yossarian » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 5:37 pm

I also think Cronk will retire. At his age coming off a premiership I think he'd call it quits.

Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 121 times

Unread post by 851 » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 7:10 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 3:09 pm
More a Norths junior... Had a couple of years @ Balmain
He was a norths junior
Go hard or go home

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 273 times