Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

tig_prmz
Member
Member
Posts: 7886
Joined: Sat 03 Oct, 2009 10:32 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Unread post by tig_prmz » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 11:16 pm

steve-o wrote:
Tue 10 Oct, 2017 8:46 pm
Hoffman won three grand finals with the storm and Lance Armstrong won the Tour de France 7 times
anything about the storm in the salary cap cheat era has a massive asterisk around it. even little things like games won by individuals, points scored etc. they're a great club but the fact that the big 3 only stayed together because they broke the cap still bugs me.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble


Balmainbred
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed 17 May, 2017 4:33 pm
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Balmainbred » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 6:27 am

Reports on Bris media yesterday that Roosters were meeting with Greenberg & Co at NRL HQ on how to get Cronk to their club under the cap ???

NT Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2192
Joined: Sun 28 Apr, 2013 9:00 am
Location: Sitting in front of the computer (again)
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 6:48 am

If Cronk plays for the Roosters next year without them dropping a bunch off their current roster, that will just highlight the inequities across clubs in the NRL. It may well be legal and technically within the rules but it makes a mockery of any notion of a level playing field. I love the game, but not if it's an open joke. Fool me once........
"Quality Stupidity"

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 6378
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times

Unread post by supercoach » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 7:06 am

NT Tiger wrote:
Wed 11 Oct, 2017 6:48 am
If Cronk plays for the Roosters next year without them dropping a bunch off their current roster, that will just highlight the inequities across clubs in the NRL. It may well be legal and technically within the rules but it makes a mockery of any notion of a level playing field. I love the game, but not if it's an open joke. Fool me once........
So true.....We are fast becoming like the EPL where you know at the start of the year before a ball has been kicked off 7 of the top 8. Fans are leaving the game in droves at present and I think having a playing field that runs at 90% in favour of a few teams is certainly a major factor.

As NT said it may be technically right, but it will eventually destroy the game

Boonboon2
Member
Member
Posts: 1631
Joined: Tue 12 Feb, 2013 5:10 pm
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Boonboon2 » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 7:42 am

I think peoole are being harsh on the Roosters (words i dont like saying). They have lost Guerra who was an out and out origin player when he last signed on, Kenny Dowell a NZ international, kane Evans who was on better money then he deserved due to his rising status plus a couple of other fgers. They have sign3d 1 player. If they sign cronk theu would have to let go Pearce so wouldnt be much difference in salaries esp with 3rd parties cronk would have anyway. No one has much cao for cronk so its not like they are competing with 1.5m offers or anything. They came 15th last year arent exactly winning every year.


User avatar
2041
Member
Member
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri 14 Jan, 2011 12:32 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by 2041 » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 11:10 am

tig_prmz wrote:
Tue 10 Oct, 2017 11:16 pm
steve-o wrote:
Tue 10 Oct, 2017 8:46 pm
Hoffman won three grand finals with the storm and Lance Armstrong won the Tour de France 7 times
anything about the storm in the salary cap cheat era has a massive asterisk around it. even little things like games won by individuals, points scored etc. they're a great club but the fact that the big 3 only stayed together because they broke the cap still bugs me.
Yeah it irritates me when I see that anything in connection with the Storm or its players that treats those two premierships as still valid. Like with Folau, when he went to AFL I saw various articles stating as fact that he'd won everything in rugby league. No he hasn't - he's not a premiership winner because the Storm did not win the premiership in 2007.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 4811
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 95 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 11:34 am

Boonboon2 wrote:
Wed 11 Oct, 2017 7:42 am
I think peoole are being harsh on the Roosters (words i dont like saying). They have lost Guerra who was an out and out origin player when he last signed on, Kenny Dowell a NZ international, kane Evans who was on better money then he deserved due to his rising status plus a couple of other fgers. They have sign3d 1 player. If they sign cronk theu would have to let go Pearce so wouldnt be much difference in salaries esp with 3rd parties cronk would have anyway. No one has much cao for cronk so its not like they are competing with 1.5m offers or anything. They came 15th last year arent exactly winning every year.
Ok they signed one player but that happened to be Tedesco. They've resigned Ferguson who is an out and out Origin player, they've got Latrell on the books and they picked up Keary this year too.

I'm cool with Roosters signing Cronk if indeed Pearce leaves - that is equitable.

fergiefurr
Member
Member
Posts: 2735
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by fergiefurr » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 12:34 pm

Boonboon2 wrote:
Wed 11 Oct, 2017 7:42 am
I think peoole are being harsh on the Roosters (words i dont like saying). They have lost Guerra who was an out and out origin player when he last signed on, Kenny Dowell a NZ international, kane Evans who was on better money then he deserved due to his rising status plus a couple of other fgers. They have sign3d 1 player. If they sign cronk theu would have to let go Pearce so wouldnt be much difference in salaries esp with 3rd parties cronk would have anyway. No one has much cao for cronk so its not like they are competing with 1.5m offers or anything. They came 15th last year arent exactly winning every year.
the 'they lost 3 players and only signed 1'is the worst arguement possible.

you still have to replace those guys with another squad member. theyve also upgraded a hell of a lot of players in that time.

charlii72
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue 17 Jan, 2017 9:29 pm
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by charlii72 » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 12:47 pm

From Chris Heighington's Instagram:

chrisheighington:

My journey at the @cronullasharks has come to an end - what a wild 5 years! I didn't get the opportunity to thank all the fans, community, players & staff for all their support. I have met some amazing people with lifetime friendships, you know who you are. Its now time for my next journey - stay posted #notretiring

12.30pm 11 Oct 2017

Needaname
Member
Member
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun 24 Apr, 2016 1:02 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Needaname » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 1:20 pm

In regards to the roosters,
This new roster format of 30 first grade players does open a couple of loop holes up as to how to load up your squad.
Firstly only 26 positions need to be filled by March next year.
Secondly if the rooster decided to spend 8.7 of there cap on 20 players they are well within their rights to do it.
They can spend more cap money on 18 players if they want to and fill the remaining with base wage players.
That's not considering any 3rd parties at all just cap money it just comes down to how important their depth is to them.
The grey area lies in how they manage to convince successful talented juniors or journey men to sign up for them for minimum wage hence providing them with pretty relieable depth all the same.

User avatar
851
Member
Member
Posts: 4837
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:38 pm
Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 77 times

Unread post by 851 » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 3:49 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
Wed 11 Oct, 2017 6:48 am
If Cronk plays for the Roosters next year without them dropping a bunch off their current roster, that will just highlight the inequities across clubs in the NRL. It may well be legal and technically within the rules but it makes a mockery of any notion of a level playing field. I love the game, but not if it's an open joke. Fool me once........
I agree, but Pearce, Keary and Cronk can't all play 1st grade, Keary would be a good get, even Pearce
Go hard or go home

Donald Trump
Member
Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue 15 Nov, 2016 5:28 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Donald Trump » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 4:37 pm

851 wrote:
Wed 11 Oct, 2017 3:49 pm
NT Tiger wrote:
Wed 11 Oct, 2017 6:48 am
If Cronk plays for the Roosters next year without them dropping a bunch off their current roster, that will just highlight the inequities across clubs in the NRL. It may well be legal and technically within the rules but it makes a mockery of any notion of a level playing field. I love the game, but not if it's an open joke. Fool me once........
I agree, but Pearce, Keary and Cronk can't all play 1st grade, Keary would be a good get, even Pearce
I never want to see Pearce in a Tigers jersey.
Let's make the Tigers great again!

fergiefurr
Member
Member
Posts: 2735
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by fergiefurr » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 4:57 pm

id be happy to take Heighno back for a year

User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 55 times

Unread post by Harvey » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 5:35 pm

fergiefurr wrote:
Wed 11 Oct, 2017 4:57 pm
id be happy to take Heighno back for a year
Me too. Selling hot dogs out the front of our home games

User avatar
innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 24998
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 134 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 5:58 pm

Donald Trump wrote:
Wed 11 Oct, 2017 4:37 pm
851 wrote:
Wed 11 Oct, 2017 3:49 pm
NT Tiger wrote:
Wed 11 Oct, 2017 6:48 am
If Cronk plays for the Roosters next year without them dropping a bunch off their current roster, that will just highlight the inequities across clubs in the NRL. It may well be legal and technically within the rules but it makes a mockery of any notion of a level playing field. I love the game, but not if it's an open joke. Fool me once........
I agree, but Pearce, Keary and Cronk can't all play 1st grade, Keary would be a good get, even Pearce
I never want to see Pearce in a Tigers jersey.
Hmmmm, Pearce...Brooks...hmmmm , a tough one

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 6:29 pm

I think Chris Heighnington for one year would be a great move. He still has bench impact and would add to Cleary’s idea of building a culture through recognising past success ( hence Marshall and Hodgson). It’s obvious that Cleary wants the new look Tigers to treasure and respect the jersey - that’s why old faithfuls are returning. Would not be st all surprised to see Heighno grab spot 29.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 3133
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 104 times

Unread post by Russell » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 7:16 pm

Harvey wrote:
Wed 11 Oct, 2017 5:35 pm
fergiefurr wrote:
Wed 11 Oct, 2017 4:57 pm
id be happy to take Heighno back for a year
Me too. Selling hot dogs out the front of our home games
What have you got against "Ol Mate" selling hot dogs at the Mary street entrance.

He's doing a good job

"Doggie, hot Doggie!!!!!

User avatar
TigerSkins
Member
Member
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun 10 Nov, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Canberra
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by TigerSkins » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 7:23 pm

Crikey we should be having ago for Paasi too:

WARRIORS EYE TITANS FORWARD

The NZ Herald reports the Warriors are on the verge of signing Agnatius Paasi with the Gold Coast forward said to be seeking a release on compassionate grounds.

According to the report, the Warriors have tabled a two-year deal.

Should Paasi make the move back across the Tasman, it would add some much-needed firepower to the Warriors’ pack who have struggled in recent years.

The club have already signed the likes of forwards Adam Blair, Tohu Harris and Leivaha Lulu, along with outside backs Gerard Beale and Peta Hiku.

Post Reply

Return to “Player Contract Rumours & Discussion”