Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

The Patriot

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Post by The Patriot » Mon 21 May, 2018 3:39 pm

Its the Kevin Naiqama rumour that links Holmes to us and gives it a little hope.

If we have let Kev go early you would think Ivan has a reason.
Its an opinion!

Balmainian

Post by Balmainian » Mon 21 May, 2018 3:45 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 3:05 pm
AnnandaleTiger wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 2:59 pm
Person with a good track record
In what regard? One club man, never in any trouble or a damn good player?
The regard would be information supplied in the past I’d assume.

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Mon 21 May, 2018 3:52 pm

Balmainian wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 3:45 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 3:05 pm
AnnandaleTiger wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 2:59 pm
Person with a good track record
In what regard? One club man, never in any trouble or a damn good player?
The regard would be information supplied in the past I’d assume.
I think annandaletiger means a person with a good track record with inside info gave him the news on holmes b4 june 30

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Mon 21 May, 2018 4:03 pm

I dont know if we would be after Holmes & Mbye it would most likely be one or the other. If Holmes was to come here it would be to play fullback and you would imagine the same with Mbye although if the figure thrown around of Mbye for $500k i would say thats decent value for money.

Donald Trump

Post by Donald Trump » Mon 21 May, 2018 4:13 pm

I’m praying Smoking Gun is right and we get Barba. That would be awesome
Let's make the Tigers great again!

junior05

Post by junior05 » Mon 21 May, 2018 4:14 pm

Demps wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 7:19 am
Tigertail wrote:
Sun 20 May, 2018 11:17 pm
We do need probably two quality backs and impact second rower in the mould of a Gareth Ellis.
We have been saying this for years.

No chance we get Oats or Isaako.
Dreaming.
This is true but if we look at the next wave of baby broncos, we are more likely of signing one of these. Gehamat Shibasaki is a good young centre and Myles Taueli is a good second rower.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 21 May, 2018 4:30 pm

Someone should ask Rothfield on snapchat or whatever social media he uses

He might be sober still

Lukic

Post by Lukic » Mon 21 May, 2018 4:36 pm

Mbye would be a good fit at fullback - better than Holmes tbh.

We lack creativity. Reynolds & Brooks project as our halves pairing for the next 2 years, they're ball runners & good in support play, not very creative. Mbye would give us a creative option at 2nd receiver that we lack (and tbh would be what Lolohea unfortunately was meant to be).

I think just about every team thinks they have a good fullback. Provided the fullback doesn't consistently drop bombs or is painfully slow, it's not too difficult to look decent. Thompson's safety and defensive work has to be appreciated and he's been good in support play, but he offers very little else. If we had more damaging ball runners with a good offload he'd be more valuable, as well as if we had genuinely creative halves. Regrettably, Thomspon offers very little in attack when near the line - he's not a damaging runner himself like an RTS, Teddy or Trbojevic and doesn't offer the ball playing ability of a Ponga or Slater.

Mbye gives us much more of a threat to create and cap off a backline play, while injecting a good ball running option by virtue of his speed. Of fullbacks that could realistically be signed, Mbye apart from Barba is the best option and of course comes a few years younger and without substantial risk.

If we could get him at a subsidised rate from the Dogs, it would be prudent business. His cover of the halves in future years along with the ball-playing factor at FB would be invaluable. Thompson would be fine back on the wing and would give us a great backup FB option.

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 21 May, 2018 4:41 pm

junior05 wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 4:14 pm
Demps wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 7:19 am
Tigertail wrote:
Sun 20 May, 2018 11:17 pm
We do need probably two quality backs and impact second rower in the mould of a Gareth Ellis.
We have been saying this for years.

No chance we get Oats or Isaako.
Dreaming.
This is true but if we look at the next wave of baby broncos, we are more likely of signing one of these. Gehamat Shibasaki is a good young centre and Myles Taueli is a good second rower.
Smart thinking... 😉
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

iofthetigers

Post by iofthetigers » Mon 21 May, 2018 5:13 pm

Both under contract so it would be very unlikely. The whole dynamic of teams will Change if the interchange drops to 6.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Mon 21 May, 2018 5:20 pm

Lukic wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 4:36 pm

We lack creativity. Reynolds & Brooks project as our halves pairing for the next 2 years, they're ball runners & good in support play, not very creative. Mbye would give us a creative option at 2nd receiver that we lack (and tbh would be what Lolohea unfortunately was meant to be).

I think just about every team thinks they have a good fullback. Provided the fullback doesn't consistently drop bombs or is painfully slow, it's not too difficult to look decent. Thompson's safety and defensive work has to be appreciated and he's been good in support play, but he offers very little else. If we had more damaging ball runners with a good offload he'd be more valuable, as well as if we had genuinely creative halves. Regrettably, Thomspon offers very little in attack when near the line - he's not a damaging runner himself like an RTS, Teddy or Trbojevic and doesn't offer the ball playing ability of a Ponga or Slater.

Mbye gives us much more of a threat to create and cap off a backline play, while injecting a good ball running option by virtue of his speed. Of fullbacks that could realistically be signed, Mbye apart from Barba is the best option and of course comes a few years younger and without substantial risk.

If we could get him at a subsidised rate from the Dogs, it would be prudent business. His cover of the halves in future years along with the ball-playing factor at FB would be invaluable. Thompson would be fine back on the wing and would give us a great backup FB option.
Summed it up perfectly mate.
Agree that Mbye would be a better fit for us than Holmes, he'd be less of a tool as well.
The only thing Holmes has over Mbye is a bit of pace. Wouldn't mind getting both but if its a choice then I hope we grab Mbye.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 21 May, 2018 5:24 pm

As a previous poster said, clubs these days want a running no1 that can also ball play, like the 77kg superman Hogo. MM fits that bill probably more than VH. I would personally take either or both, but I have my doubts we will get either although funny things happen in the month of June

rex2ce

Post by rex2ce » Mon 21 May, 2018 5:32 pm

AnnandaleTiger wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 1:04 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 12:59 pm
tiger05premier wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 11:23 am
AnnandaleTiger wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 11:06 am
That’s not what I’m hearing
What are you hearing?
He's hearing crickets, like the rest of us
Holmes before 30th.
Was at Hunter Valley Vineyards yesterday for LLL spotted a former Fijian born NRL centre, asked him straight up,” what’s Kev up too”, he said “Super League”, what’s in it for the Tigers ? I asked , he said “ winger from Cronulla”, make of it what you want coz his eyes were rolling in different directions and that was all he said before his girl dragged him away

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 21 May, 2018 5:36 pm

rex2ce wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 5:32 pm
AnnandaleTiger wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 1:04 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 12:59 pm
tiger05premier wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 11:23 am

What are you hearing?
He's hearing crickets, like the rest of us
Holmes before 30th.
Was at Hunter Valley Vineyards yesterday for LLL spotted a former Fijian born NRL centre, asked him straight up,” what’s Kev up too”, he said “Super League”, what’s in it for the Tigers ? I asked , he said “ winger from Cronulla”, make of it what you want coz his eyes were rolling in different directions and that was all he said before his girl dragged him away
Wouldn't of been his brother Wes, was it?
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Mon 21 May, 2018 5:37 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 4:30 pm

He might be sober still
5:30 in the afternoon you’re joking.

TigersBusDriver

Post by TigersBusDriver » Mon 21 May, 2018 5:38 pm

Lukic wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 4:36 pm

IMO, Thompson is much more effective when on the wing. His best plays so far have been from there and his partnership with Marsters early on was a major factor for our early season form

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Mon 21 May, 2018 5:40 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 5:37 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 4:30 pm

He might be sober still
5:30 in the afternoon you’re joking.
Is Rothfield ever sober?

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Mon 21 May, 2018 5:42 pm

I think both Mbye and Holmes would add to our side and would be happy with either.

Would prefer Mbye if I had to pick.