Page 493 of 505

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Posted: Thu 07 Dec, 2017 2:59 pm
by Earl
Geo. wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 2:35 pm
Earl wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 2:23 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 12:23 pm
steve-o wrote:
Wed 06 Dec, 2017 11:02 pm

Are we talking per annum here?
Yeah
That sounds too much to me. I hope it turns out okay. I reckon we've overpaid for Reynolds, Packer and Matulino.
How much would you have paid Earl..?
I'd make them all play for the glory of playing for the Tigers and give the money away in free grog at the game.

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Posted: Thu 07 Dec, 2017 3:12 pm
by andrew 474
I would like to know more about the guys that were involved with Parramatta when they got caught , all the managers , Paul Kent said some are in trouble but the NRL can't go to hard on them as it will only take one of them to blow up and drag more clubs onto it , I say go ahead , the storm were caught and punished lets get it out there , let's get all the cheats out there and punish them all

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Posted: Thu 07 Dec, 2017 3:12 pm
by Spud Murphy
Geo. wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 2:35 pm
Earl wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 2:23 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 12:23 pm
steve-o wrote:
Wed 06 Dec, 2017 11:02 pm

Are we talking per annum here?
Yeah
That sounds too much to me. I hope it turns out okay. I reckon we've overpaid for Reynolds, Packer and Matulino.
How much would you have paid Earl..?

I'm with Earl, on Packer at least anyway. 700k is way too much! 500k max I reckon. He's an ok prop, but nothing special. When fit, Matulino is a much better prop and yet he's on peanuts compared to Packer.

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Posted: Thu 07 Dec, 2017 5:00 pm
by TigerTiger
andrew 474 wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 3:12 pm
I would like to know more about the guys that were involved with Parramatta when they got caught , all the managers , Paul Kent said some are in trouble but the NRL can't go to hard on them as it will only take one of them to blow up and drag more clubs onto it , I say go ahead , the storm were caught and punished lets get it out there , let's get all the cheats out there and punish them all
Problem is, the rumours are that the guilty parties have dirt on Todd Greenburg himself, so Todd is reluctant to go hard at them because they will drag him down too. Todd was the CEO at the Bulldogs when they had Ben Barba there and Barba had DV allegations that were kept quiet for over a year before they came out. So there very likely is dirt on him.

If only we could get an impartial CEO of the NRL, our own Harvey Dent before he got disfigured. Then maybe we could get some justice.

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Posted: Thu 07 Dec, 2017 6:45 pm
by Masterton
Spud Murphy wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 3:12 pm


I'm with Earl, on Packer at least anyway. 700k is way too much! 500k max I reckon. He's an ok prop, but nothing special. When fit, Matulino is a much better prop and yet he's on peanuts compared to Packer.
Wally Lewis said Packer would be the first player he signed if he was in charge of a club. I don't rate him quite that highly, but I think he's one of the best for aggressive runs followed by quick play the ball.

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Posted: Thu 07 Dec, 2017 8:58 pm
by Spud Murphy
Masterton wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 6:45 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 3:12 pm


I'm with Earl, on Packer at least anyway. 700k is way too much! 500k max I reckon. He's an ok prop, but nothing special. When fit, Matulino is a much better prop and yet he's on peanuts compared to Packer.
Wally Lewis said Packer would be the first player he signed if he was in charge of a club. I don't rate him quite that highly, but I think he's one of the best for aggressive runs followed by quick play the ball.
Ah what would Wally know? He's called Wally for a reason :lol:

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Posted: Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:03 pm
by formerguest
Looking forward to seeing WT with starting front rowers that regularly find their front and get a speedy play the ball. Something that has been lacking since big Keithy departed, though Grant went well in that regard in the latter part of this season.

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Posted: Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:08 pm
by innsaneink
TonyTiger wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 1:21 pm
Don’t count your pennies with Packer, he is our best acquisition and should be captain next year. He’s a tackling machine with Arthur Beetson style offloads, throw in the mongrel as a bonus!
Lets hope this becomes a reality

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Posted: Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:29 pm
by Spud Murphy
formerguest wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:03 pm
Looking forward to seeing WT with starting front rowers that regularly find their front and get a speedy play the ball. Something that has been lacking since big Keithy departed, though Grant went well in that regard in the latter part of this season.
Big Keithy, fast play the balls? He was as slow as a wet week! :lol:

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Posted: Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:34 pm
by gallagher
Spud Murphy wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:29 pm
formerguest wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:03 pm
Looking forward to seeing WT with starting front rowers that regularly find their front and get a speedy play the ball. Something that has been lacking since big Keithy departed, though Grant went well in that regard in the latter part of this season.
Big Keithy, fast play the balls? He was as slow as a wet week! :lol:
Yeah. As much as I liked Harry high pants, he did everything in slow mo.

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Posted: Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:47 pm
by Balmainian
gallagher wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:34 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:29 pm
formerguest wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:03 pm
Looking forward to seeing WT with starting front rowers that regularly find their front and get a speedy play the ball. Something that has been lacking since big Keithy departed, though Grant went well in that regard in the latter part of this season.
Big Keithy, fast play the balls? He was as slow as a wet week! :lol:
Yeah. As much as I liked Harry high pants, he did everything in slow mo.
Ben Galea
Simon Dwyer
Young Heignington
These guys were forwards that ran hard and played em quick!!!
Kinda reminds of Hooth,Taylor and Aioli.
Packer and Mataluino need to run on to the steeden with a head of steam, if they do that then we’re on.
If they play flat footed then it doesn’t matter who you are or how quick your play the ball is.

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Posted: Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:50 pm
by formerguest
gallagher wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:34 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:29 pm
formerguest wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:03 pm
Looking forward to seeing WT with starting front rowers that regularly find their front and get a speedy play the ball. Something that has been lacking since big Keithy departed, though Grant went well in that regard in the latter part of this season.
Big Keithy, fast play the balls? He was as slow as a wet week! :lol:
Yeah. As much as I liked Harry high pants, he did everything in slow mo.

He didn't have much toe (no pun intended), but I still can't think of another who had a better combination of finding his front and quicker play the ball amongst his peers at WT over the last five years.

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Posted: Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:55 pm
by southerntiger
Yep Keith's play the balls were quick, not lightning but very decent for a big man.

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Posted: Thu 07 Dec, 2017 11:12 pm
by happy tiger
formerguest wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:50 pm
gallagher wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:34 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:29 pm
formerguest wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 10:03 pm
Looking forward to seeing WT with starting front rowers that regularly find their front and get a speedy play the ball. Something that has been lacking since big Keithy departed, though Grant went well in that regard in the latter part of this season.
Big Keithy, fast play the balls? He was as slow as a wet week! :lol:
Yeah. As much as I liked Harry high pants, he did everything in slow mo.

He didn't have much toe (no pun intended), but I still can't think of another who had a better combination of finding his front and quicker play the ball amongst his peers at WT over the last five years.
It's very hard to measure because it depends on your field position , your previous go forward and the opposition defence

Keefy more often than not landed on his front

Talking of Keefy is he still at Leeds ??

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Posted: Thu 07 Dec, 2017 11:24 pm
by GNR4LIFE
Packer is probably the most aggressive prop in the game. Been years since we've had a player who the opposition will be looking for in the defensive line. We've been crying out for a player like him for years. As good as Matulino is, with his ability to offload and play at the line, i'd probably have to give the nudge to Packer in regards to who is the better signing. Either way, they compliment each other very well.

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Posted: Fri 08 Dec, 2017 5:24 am
by innsaneink
I seem to recall Keith running in a very upright manner with no footwork, resulting in him being lifted more often than not...and driven back

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Posted: Fri 08 Dec, 2017 9:18 am
by steve-o
It will be interesting to see who ends up a better signing out of matulino and packer... I'm leaning towards matulino as I think his big engine will provide the work rate that we've lost with the departure of woods (I'm a big critic of woods by the way so don't take this is an endorsement of him... I'm very happy to see him go).

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Posted: Fri 08 Dec, 2017 10:34 am
by Spud Murphy
steve-o wrote:
Fri 08 Dec, 2017 9:18 am
It will be interesting to see who ends up a better signing out of matulino and packer... I'm leaning towards matulino as I think his big engine will provide the work rate that we've lost with the departure of woods (I'm a big critic of woods by the way so don't take this is an endorsement of him... I'm very happy to see him go).
It's ok mate, there is no shame in giving Woods some praise for his efforts. People seem to forget that he was a very young prop thrown in to lead a fairly weak pack early on in his career, and he did a great job for us for many seasons with little support up front or any skills shown by the halves.