OFFICIAL: Ben Matulino to join Wests Tigers

vlad
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 28 times

Ben Matulino

Unread post by vlad » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 4:25 am

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pre ... ee879f48df

MATULINO TO LEAVE WARRIORS?

Experienced prop Ben Matulino could be set to leave the Warriors, according to NRL 360 host Paul Kent.

Matulino, who is currently sidelined with a knee injury, is one of a number of off-contract forwards at the club including Jacob Lillyman, Charlie Gubb, Ryan Hoffman, Bodene Thompson and Albert Vete.

With star half Shaun Johnson set for a new deal, Kieran Foran off contract and the impending arrival of Tohu Harris next season, the Warriors have some big roster decisions to make.

“They’re having a few retention problems at the Warriors,” Kent said.

“Ben Matulino looks like he’s on his way out of the club.

“It won’t be announced for another month or so.”

-----------------------------------

Which is interesting, because the last time Matulino was off contract , Cleary tried to get him to the Panthers .

-----------------------------------

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/n ... y6rcgjw1e3

Panthers miss out

PENRITH officials aren’t happy that Kiwi Test prop Ben Matulino agreed to a new deal at the Warriors today.

Gus Gould and Ivan Cleary were desperate to lure Matulino - one of the most under-rated front-rowers in the NRL - to Penrith.

Cleary coached Matulino at the Warriors a few years back and was quietly confident he could lure the man mountain across the Tasman.

But all the Panthers succeeded in doing was raising Matulino’s pay packet and the Warriors have scored a major coup by re-signing their main go-forward man.

--------------

Still only 28yo & would be a great signing for us .

Fraze23
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by Fraze23 » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 5:37 am

Would be a great signing for us. Woods aside you'd take him over any other forward on our roster. I'd be having a good look at Vete and Gubb as well.
Hopefully if/when Cleary gets the job it is enough to lure him over here.

criwdfluffer
Has liked: 15 times

Unread post by criwdfluffer » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 6:59 am

hell yes. ball playing prop,big and never quite reached his potential. yes yes yes.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 204 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 7:24 am

If we could get him and Evans and have a prop rotation of Woods/Ava/Mats/Evans, it would be pretty sweet. Throw in McQueen our pack all of a sudden looks awesome. Fingers crossed Evans stays out of the Roosters side because that will bring his asking price down. Add an outside back like Whare and we are good to go.

Nelson
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Nelson » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 7:52 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 30 Mar, 2017 7:24 am
If we could get him and Evans and have a prop rotation of Woods/Ava/Mats/Evans, it would be pretty sweet. Throw in McQueen our pack all of a sudden looks awesome. Fingers crossed Evans stays out of the Roosters side because that will bring his asking price down. Add an outside back like Whare and we are good to go.
Evans is only out of the 17 because he's coming off an injury.

My concern with Matulino is that his form has been down recently and he's had a few injuries in the last couple of years. At his best he'd be awesome but I'm not sure we'd see it.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 204 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 7:57 am

Nelson wrote:
Thu 30 Mar, 2017 7:52 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:

My concern with Matulino is that his form has been down recently and he's had a few injuries in the last couple of years. At his best he'd be awesome but I'm not sure we'd see it.
Its a worry, but probably a risk worth taking.

supercoach
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by supercoach » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 7:58 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
I like it..and maybe one quality winger of course assuming 4 players re sign. If they don't I think our focus will be on the spine before looking at anything else

goldtiger

Unread post by goldtiger » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 7:58 am

best thing about a new coach is the speculation of all the players he may bring in. After the start to the season we have had a bit of positivity of speculating who he may bring in is a nice distraction.

vlad
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by vlad » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 8:13 am

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/a/34 ... ods/#page1

7th Tackle: Shock contender to sign Aaron Woods

Josh Massoud and Liam Cox - 7Sport on March 30, 2017, 6:00 am

The New Zealand Warriors are emerging as a shock candidate for off-contract Tigers skipper Aaron Woods, after talks to re-sign Ben Matulino stalled recently.

And in an even bigger twist the Tigers have already made contact with Matulino's management - an enquiry that's expected to escalate when Ivan Cleary is appointed coach.

The former Warriors mentor gave Matulino his first NRL start in 2008 and has remained a fan.

------------

Looks like this might have legs

steve-o
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by steve-o » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 8:41 am

Woods for matulino, that's a fair swap. Doubt woods would want to go to NZ though... Perhaps we could end up with both of them
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

TopTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by TopTiger » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 8:45 am

I can't see Woods going over the ditch, I'm quietly confident he will re-sign. Adding Matulino to the squad would be a bonus as I'm sure a fresh start will be just what he needs to recapture his best form.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 393 times

Unread post by Geo. » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 8:52 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 30 Mar, 2017 7:57 am
Nelson wrote:
Thu 30 Mar, 2017 7:52 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Its a worry, but probably a risk worth taking.
No one takes a risk with recruitment better than the Wests Tigers...

Has Ben played any football this year..?
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

DonnyBrasco

Unread post by DonnyBrasco » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 9:25 am

I for one love the way the NZ commentators say his name, Ben Matullllliiiiiiinnnnnooooo.
Cant wait for him to run out in the black and gold.
Tigers for 2022!

Demps
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Demps » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 10:35 am

Would be a huge signing for us

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 157 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 10:40 am

DonnyBrasco wrote:
Thu 30 Mar, 2017 9:25 am
I for one love the way the NZ commentators say his name, Ben Matullllliiiiiiinnnnnooooo.
Can imagine Superboot saying it now: Buuuuuuun Martaleeeeenoooo!
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

magpiecol
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 25 times

Unread post by magpiecol » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 11:08 am

DonnyBrasco wrote:
Thu 30 Mar, 2017 9:25 am
And white of course.

:bash

criwdfluffer
Has liked: 15 times

Unread post by criwdfluffer » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 11:29 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:

Id keep Sue in the front row and run evans in the backrow,we would have some real punch out wide and up the guts but however u run it that pack def has some oomph!

Fingers crossed .

ricksen
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by ricksen » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 11:31 am

Very good player, but similar to (and inferior to) Woods in that he's all workrate rather than high impact in small doses. Through in the age and injury concerns, and I'd rather we look elsewhere I think.
If Woods leaves, he'd be a pretty good replacement though, assuming the $$ worked in our favour.

Return to “Player Contract Rumours & Discussion”