Tyson Gamble

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 2128
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Re: Tyson Gamble

Post by Tiger Steve » Wed 14 Nov, 2018 9:33 pm

Go You Good Things wrote:
Wed 14 Nov, 2018 8:57 pm
Behind Brooks and Reynolds, this kid is probably our next best ball player. Of course because he debuted in the trial vs Cronulla and only scored 1 try in a game we were dominated . . . then his next NRL game was against Newy where we were utter dross . . . . well because his debut wasn't spectacular enough for some here . . . well, he's just no good.
Hey, we should look at Rona !!!
I really hope he comes good and gets a fair chance to show off the blatantly obvious talent that he has.
I hope he comes good too.

But your comment is not accurate in that I watched him all year in ISP and saw very little to suggest he’s up to it - attack or defence.

BUT, I look with interest at the comments that he has been playing out of position and the photos if his increased size. Maybe, just maybe??!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.


User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 2459
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Wed 14 Nov, 2018 9:39 pm

Tweed Tiger wrote:
Wed 14 Nov, 2018 9:31 pm
Looks like he has been busy in the off season, would like to see him progress further. As I have said a few times he reminds me of a Luke Lewis type of player who well end up a good ball playing forward.

12 months ago

Image

Now

Image
Thats a fair improvement.

Old mate Freddy K would be proud of his determination and attitude.
Its an opinion!

User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 3812
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah

Post by Harvey » Wed 14 Nov, 2018 9:49 pm

From what I saw in reserve grade, he looked a good young player.

Very good kicking game. Very good in attack when he had an older head (Drinkwater) next to him.

Defence needs work and overplayed his hand when asked to run the side. By that point our ISP side was threadbare and had no go forward and limited threats.

Spud Murphy
Member
Member
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Third Heaven

Post by Spud Murphy » Wed 14 Nov, 2018 9:59 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 14 Nov, 2018 8:59 pm
Jesse Sue, Kev Naiqama are both specimens too, doesn't mean anything.
Yes I'm not falling for that anymore! Many players have looked the goods physically then end up playing bog average for most of their careers. Then of course you have Cameron Smith and Johnathon Thurston 😂

TYGA
Member
Member
Posts: 2339
Joined: Sat 23 May, 2015 11:17 pm

Post by TYGA » Wed 14 Nov, 2018 10:12 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Wed 14 Nov, 2018 8:54 pm
Looking more like Luke O'donnell than a 5/8
I thought the same thing. Magpies should go good this year.


User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 2459
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Wed 14 Nov, 2018 10:15 pm

TYGA wrote:
Wed 14 Nov, 2018 10:12 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Wed 14 Nov, 2018 8:54 pm
Looking more like Luke O'donnell than a 5/8
I thought the same thing. Magpies should go good this year.

Clone ;)
Its an opinion!

User avatar
Demps
Member
Member
Posts: 8430
Joined: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by Demps » Wed 14 Nov, 2018 11:23 pm

That training gear is awesome...
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 5219
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm

Post by Snake » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 6:53 am

Tyson is an interesting prospect moving forward... watching him last season in ISP he obviously has ability in many areas kicking and passing game is excellent. His games in the NRL was just a wasted experience as the entire team were on a downlow...I do not think 5/8 is his position,he has something to offer as some suggested maybe a move into the second row but his defence would have to be improved he is big enough body wise....he certainly can read a game and has the ability ,a passing and kicking second rower in the red zone certainly gives a team another attacking weapon . He just seems to be in the wrong position at this level .

User avatar
Mighty Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 855
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 8:23 pm

Post by Mighty Tiger » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 7:07 am

Time and a place

2018 wasn’t his time or place nrl wise

2019 hasn’t been written yet and it’s all up to him.

I hope he kicks on, can step up and show more than what he did in 2018. He has bulked up big time which is a good start. Maybe halves isn’t his future as well. As more of a runner in the games he reminded me of an older style 5/8th & lock which is now modern day center.

At this stage he is on the fence for me. I don’t care about his debut. The kid obviously has the hunger and good attitude so hopefully he kicks on in 2019.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4138
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 7:38 am

Yeah, atop the fence for me, though with the words of Benji and the length of contract in top squad, I must say that I was expecting a little more at this point.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5243
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 8:12 am

Demps wrote:
Wed 14 Nov, 2018 11:23 pm
That training gear is awesome...
Absolutely - take the orange strip off the shorts - could be at riff park. Lol

Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 4156
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 8:13 am

Luke Garner is ahead of him as 2nd Rower and Garner isn’t a certainty of making the 17.
It would take Gamble some time to make NRL level in the forwards. If he had the fittness and defence he could be a good 2nd rower. That would take time though.
in Ivan we distrust

Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 4156
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 8:19 am

Russell wrote:
Thu 15 Nov, 2018 8:12 am
Demps wrote:
Wed 14 Nov, 2018 11:23 pm
That training gear is awesome...
Absolutely - take the orange strip off the shorts - could be at riff park. Lol
A Black Panther is close to a Tiger
in Ivan we distrust

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5243
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 8:29 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Thu 15 Nov, 2018 8:19 am
Russell wrote:
Thu 15 Nov, 2018 8:12 am
Demps wrote:
Wed 14 Nov, 2018 11:23 pm
That training gear is awesome...
Absolutely - take the orange strip off the shorts - could be at riff park. Lol
A Black Panther is close to a Tiger
Sure it is Don.

User avatar
barra
Member
Member
Posts: 2340
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Sth Coast

Post by barra » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 9:22 am

Harvey wrote:
Wed 14 Nov, 2018 9:49 pm
From what I saw in reserve grade, he looked a good young player.

Very good kicking game. Very good in attack when he had an older head (Drinkwater) next to him.

Defence needs work and overplayed his hand when asked to run the side. By that point our ISP side was threadbare and had no go forward and limited threats.
You've pretty much summed it up for me. When Drinkwater left, Gamble's game took a downturn and never recovered so he is obviously more of a running half than an organising half. Problem is, we already have a couple of those in Brooks and Reynolds... and Benji's management is questionable at times.

So while his game does have its upsides I doubt Gamble will realise his potential as a half with us unless he somehow gets another organising #7 alongside him.

User avatar
Dan Blanco
Member
Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu 04 May, 2017 7:31 am

Post by Dan Blanco » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 10:12 am

barra wrote:
Thu 15 Nov, 2018 9:22 am
Harvey wrote:
Wed 14 Nov, 2018 9:49 pm
From what I saw in reserve grade, he looked a good young player.

Very good kicking game. Very good in attack when he had an older head (Drinkwater) next to him.

Defence needs work and overplayed his hand when asked to run the side. By that point our ISP side was threadbare and had no go forward and limited threats.
You've pretty much summed it up for me. When Drinkwater left, Gamble's game took a downturn and never recovered so he is obviously more of a running half than an organising half. Problem is, we already have a couple of those in Brooks and Reynolds... and Benji's management is questionable at times.

So while his game does have its upsides I doubt Gamble will realise his potential as a half with us unless he somehow gets another organising #7 alongside him.
Fine points, agree on most.

Madge could realistically view him as a centre given his game/frame.
Stylistically a bit like Jarrod Croker.

Nelson
Member
Member
Posts: 3499
Joined: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:17 am

Post by Nelson » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 10:33 am

barra wrote:
Thu 15 Nov, 2018 9:22 am
Harvey wrote:
Wed 14 Nov, 2018 9:49 pm
From what I saw in reserve grade, he looked a good young player.

Very good kicking game. Very good in attack when he had an older head (Drinkwater) next to him.

Defence needs work and overplayed his hand when asked to run the side. By that point our ISP side was threadbare and had no go forward and limited threats.
You've pretty much summed it up for me. When Drinkwater left, Gamble's game took a downturn and never recovered so he is obviously more of a running half than an organising half. Problem is, we already have a couple of those in Brooks and Reynolds... and Benji's management is questionable at times.

So while his game does have its upsides I doubt Gamble will realise his potential as a half with us unless he somehow gets another organising #7 alongside him.
He should have Marshall alongside him in the halves this season in ISP and if Marshall plays a traditional halfback role then I think Gamble will go well at 5/8. He's obviously got things to work on but he's got a good attacking skill set that would best be used at 5/8.

Marshall did well in 2015 playing a traditional halfback role (2nd in the Dally M's that year). Behind Brooks we have no halfback depth so I think it would be best for the squad if the focus for Marshall this year was on playing the organiser in ISP (and NRL if/when Brooks is out) and helping to develop Gamble. That would be more useful than playing a weird impact role off the bench just for the sake of having he and Reynolds in the 17.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29908
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 11:08 am

Gamble is a six..can't see him defending in the back row and centre is one of the most difficult positions in the game to defend at NRL level..there are 2 sides to rugby league...his attacking attributes are worth persisting with...

Hard working kid..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Post Reply