Tyson Gamble

The Patriot

Re: Tyson Gamble

Post by The Patriot » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 2:23 pm

More I think about his best position would be this utility bench spot we all seem to be giving Liddle or Marshall.

He has a hell of a lot of work to do to earn that position though.
Its an opinion!

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 2:33 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Thu 15 Nov, 2018 2:23 pm
More I think about his best position would be this utility bench spot we all seem to be giving Liddle or Marshall.

he did work hard to make that 1st grade debut tho, it is just a shame that the team went crap that game
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 2:34 pm

Im sure I read before hes only played fullback & 5/8

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 3:01 pm

The Patriot wrote:

It's not a utility bench spot unless and until we have a genuine 80 minute option at hooker week in week out. If we had the luxury of a 4th bench spot I would prefer to see it used on a 4th forward rather than a back line utility when we have guys like Matterson and MCK who can cover the backs in the event of injury.

If he's going to make it then it'll be as a 5/8 and he just needs to focus all his attention on that (in my view).

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 3:20 pm

Nelson wrote:
Thu 15 Nov, 2018 3:01 pm
The Patriot wrote:

It's not a utility bench spot unless and until we have a genuine 80 minute option at hooker week in week out. If we had the luxury of a 4th bench spot I would prefer to see it used on a 4th forward rather than a back line utility when we have guys like Matterson and MCK who can cover the backs in the event of injury.

If he's going to make it then it'll be as a 5/8 and he just needs to focus all his attention on that (in my view).
And what about Josh Reynolds?

A Gamble type player could easily fill in at 5/8 while Reynolds slots to hooker to give Farah a rest yeah?
Its an opinion!

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 3:25 pm

Only speaking hypothetically but if Gamble did enough to be back in the NRL picture i cant see why he couldnt play the utility role. Could cover Fullback, Centre, Halves and Back Row. A shuffle with Reynolds and we have the hooking role covered as well.

On most occasions he could be used as a left edge back row interchange.

Its not all about versatility however, he would have to be killing and causing damage when in his own right. All bench positions need to bring impact these days.
Its an opinion!

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 3:27 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Thu 15 Nov, 2018 3:20 pm
Nelson wrote:
The Patriot wrote:

A Gamble type player could easily fill in at 5/8 while Reynolds slots to hooker to give Farah a rest yeah?
Yeah you could do that but then you're disrupting two positions instead of one and you're not using the fresh player where they're needed most - at hooker. A game-worn Reynolds isn't going to have much sudden impact out of dummy half whereas a fresh Liddle would (hopefully).

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 3:32 pm

Nelson wrote:
Thu 15 Nov, 2018 3:27 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Thu 15 Nov, 2018 3:20 pm
Nelson wrote:
The Patriot wrote:

Yeah you could do that but then you're disrupting two positions instead of one and you're not using the fresh player where they're needed most - at hooker. A game-worn Reynolds isn't going to have much sudden impact out of dummy half whereas a fresh Liddle would (hopefully).

Yeah i agree its not ideal. Just proposing a role for Gamble that he could realistically achieve in 2019.

I like Liddle but i think Farah is a class above and rather have him on the field.
Its an opinion!

Silentio

Post by Silentio » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 4:06 pm

The bloke is talented but is still young and inexperienced. He struggled a bit in reggies after Drinkwater left (and won the Challenge Cup).

He'll be better in 2019, but I can't see him getting much game time. Even as a utility.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 4:09 pm

He has youth on his side and judging by the latest photos he is working hard to give himself his best chance of success.He may not make it but his attitude is good

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 6:20 pm

The Patriot wrote:

He needs to spend the per-season with the focus on getting his defensive game off the ground.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 6:30 pm

With Benji and Reynolds getting on he is best concentrating on 5/8 for 2019 given there could be multiple injuries in that position.
in Ivan we distrust

Jay

Post by Jay » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 6:53 pm

Haven't seen enough to see he is (currently) up to a regular NRL gig. Perhaps 2020, keep working hard.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 8:05 pm

People who want to throw someone into the back row that's never played there before make me want to scream. This isn't 30 years ago where the second rower tucked the ball under the arm. The role of the edge forward has totally changed in the past 15 years.

They are now an integral part of either the left/right side structure. Their role in attack is to take late pass hit ups into a gap, draw in 2/3 defenders and get a quick play the ball for the next play. In defence the edge starts with them. They have to cover the half and make sure the inside stays shut.

The game is way too structured these days, it would him a good 2-3 years to transition his body and style before it would work. His strength is his running game, leave him where he can use it.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 8:09 pm

fergiefurr wrote:
Thu 15 Nov, 2018 8:05 pm
People who want to throw someone into the back row that's never played there before make me want to scream. This isn't 30 years ago where the second rower tucked the ball under the arm. The role of the edge forward has totally changed in the past 15 years.

They are now an integral part of either the left/right side structure. Their role in attack is to take late pass hit ups into a gap, draw in 2/3 defenders and get a quick play the ball for the next play. In defence the edge starts with them. They have to cover the half and make sure the inside stays shut.

The game is way too structured these days, it would him a good 2-3 years to transition his body and style before it would work. His strength is his running game, leave him where he can use it.
but he;s bigger now
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 10:08 pm

His size should sure help his defence. Too often he was shrugged off. Hopefully his new strength will enable him to be more effective in defence

willow

Post by willow » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:22 am

Balmain Boy wrote:
Thu 15 Nov, 2018 10:08 pm
His size should sure help his defence. Too often he was shrugged off. Hopefully his new strength will enable him to be more effective in defence
It won't help him if he still arm grabs. That's his major deficiency - you can't go in with just with your arms and expect to put a guy on his back - use the shoulder and follow with the leg drive - Gamble had one of the worst defensive techniques I'd ever seen - if he fixes that he'll go alright.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:57 am

willow wrote:
Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:22 am
Balmain Boy wrote:
Thu 15 Nov, 2018 10:08 pm
It won't help him if he still arm grabs. That's his major deficiency - you can't go in with just with your arms and expect to put a guy on his back - use the shoulder and follow with the leg drive - Gamble had one of the worst defensive techniques I'd ever seen - if he fixes that he'll go alright.
Im not sure its even his arm grabbing. To me he rushes up out of the line way too fast. This causes the arm grabs as they step back inside etc.

Hopefully he can learn to defend as a unit with the players beside him. I think thats all he needs to work on.
Its an opinion!