Mahe Fonua

Chipofftheoldblock
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Mahe Fonua

Unread post by Chipofftheoldblock » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 6:47 pm

TNT was awesome and could of been a great winger barring injury but on a side note how good did Lawrence look playing inside TNT and moving freely.
Also we really have never got over losing Ellis who was one of the most skillful and hard hitting 2nd rowers to play. Love that guy.

Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 77 times

Unread post by 851 » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 6:48 pm

formerguest wrote:
Tue 26 Sep, 2017 4:20 pm
Russell wrote:
Tue 26 Sep, 2017 8:20 am
WestsBenTigers wrote:
Tue 26 Sep, 2017 7:23 am
Ben, I can see why everyone says he is very ordinary. Yeah right!!!

We have a good one, you don't forget that stuff, 2018 will be his finest year so far, you can see it bubbling.
Not everyone Russ, mostly just 851 and a few loyal disciples that are missing a coach.
I am not missing a coach I hated JT, Brooks has massively underachieved, I just want him held accountable, is that so wrong to want my team to succeed, and Brooks is currently holding them back with his sub par showings.
I mean a guy who has played 4 full seasons of NRL in the halves and he can't get a repeat set, give me a break, he has had a rails run getting picked every week regardless of form.
He needs a stint in reserve grade to get his game in order, because it sure as hell is not developing in first grade.
Go hard or go home

Tigerdon
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 9:28 pm

851. You are constantly putting all the WestsTigers failures on one individual. Your hate is blinding you as a Rugby League analyst and a WTs analyst.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

yeti
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by yeti » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 7:27 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 26 Sep, 2017 7:04 am
yeti wrote:
Tue 26 Sep, 2017 6:58 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Wed 20 Sep, 2017 12:35 pm
Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2017 9:45 pm
Surely he finds a spot in first grade next year. Was 1st grade material when he went to the UK and looks to still be. Winger or centre he's there
I remember him having a few games when he stood out a bit, but a lot where he was almost invisible.
He want to have improved since then to hold a first grade spot even here.
I don't go much on SL form
But he may be ok
We won't know until the season starts
I think we need someone actually FAST in the backs,
We've lost the only genuine speed merchant that we had, looks like we won't be scoring many long range tries
The Cowboys are doing ok with a backline devoid of speed. Really, there aren't that many tries scored when it's just speed alone that counts.
Nofa has scored tries from our own 22 on several occasions and he is no out and out speedster, but he's quick enough. With Brooks, Tui and Milne (if he makes the firsts), we have reasonable pace without being electric.
I'd still rather have speed than not , any speed we get . We seem to export it to other teams. Then watch it bite us on the bum.
Well of course, so would I, but it is not the be all and end all. You can still have an effective backline without having blistering speed.

yeti
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by yeti » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 7:38 am

Yep, the best winger we have had imo

Russell
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 104 times

Unread post by Russell » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 8:33 am

851 wrote:
Tue 26 Sep, 2017 6:48 pm
formerguest wrote:
Russell wrote:
WestsBenTigers wrote:

We have a good one, you don't forget that stuff, 2018 will be his finest year so far, you can see it bubbling.
Not everyone Russ, mostly just 851 and a few loyal disciples that are missing a coach.
I am not missing a coach I hated JT, Brooks has massively underachieved, I just want him held accountable, is that so wrong to want my team to succeed, and Brooks is currently holding them back with his sub par showings.
I mean a guy who has played 4 full seasons of NRL in the halves and he can't get a repeat set, give me a break, he has had a rails run getting picked every week regardless of form.
He needs a stint in reserve grade to get his game in order, because it sure as hell is not developing in first grade.
You need to lighten up on this guy 851, you are all over him like you were with JT.

I don't care how many seasons he has had in the NRL - what great teams he has been playing with as well. Put the the 4 years worth of teams together and you'd be lucky to make the eight. He is 22 and now finally may be able to play with a half decent team, play with a decent 5/8, play with some forwards going forward and under a decent coach. Most halves only start to come good at his age so I wouldn't be too hard on him.

Cleary (19), Taylor (22), Reynolds (27), Townsend (26) etc. have all been rocks and diamonds over the past few years but they were stuck with. I wouldn't judge him too harshly until the end of this season.

Please tell me 851 what he is going to learn in reserve grade and from whom? He only learns to improve his short kicking game immediately and I would think that he will learn that in spades during the off season.

You are going to say "I have given him a go", I can feel it in my water. That is just like giving a diver a go at 1,000 metres without an oxygen tank. Give him room to breathe, mate Lol.

greatodensraven
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 9:11 am

Is Mahe playing HB for us next year?

swag tiger
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by swag tiger » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 9:14 am

greatodensraven wrote:
Wed 27 Sep, 2017 9:11 am
Wing or center.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 254 times

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 9:24 am

greatodensraven wrote:
I was just thinking maybe Mahe could get us a few.repeat sets. next year....

Brooks did achieve 18 in 2017 as well as 8 Tries off his boot....I guess he needs to ramp that up by X 10...Yep 180 repeat sets and 80 Tries sounds about par....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

greatodensraven
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 1:15 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 27 Sep, 2017 9:24 am
greatodensraven wrote:

Brooks did achieve 18 in 2017 as well as 8 Tries off his boot....I guess he needs to ramp that up by X 10...Yep 180 repeat sets and 80 Tries sounds about par....
Ah but then he'd be far too predictable, almost "taylor-ball" like & unable to play whats in front of him.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by formerguest » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 1:50 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 27 Sep, 2017 9:24 am
greatodensraven wrote:

Seeing Brooks only played about half a season, good chance if fit of doubling those figures that already show a repeat set plus per game and a try every second or so. Hopefully Mahe can grab plenty of four pointers to add to those figures.

Harvey
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 55 times

Unread post by Harvey » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 5:12 pm

If Brooks can't deliver at least 3 forty twenties per game he should be dropped

TigerSJ
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by TigerSJ » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 5:26 pm

If Fonua ends up anywhere near as great value as TNT, I'd be stoked. I loved watching TNT in his day, such a shame his playing days were cut short. That clip showed he had some pace as well as the obvious strength and I think it proves that there really is no substitute for SPEED!!

TigerSkins
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by TigerSkins » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 6:03 pm

What Brooks needs to do is look at that highlight reel of himself .. what made him look so good was the ability to run with the ball at the defensive line .. he had them at sixes and sevens when he ran .. !! He has either got scared from a hit, or he has been told not to run with the ball .. ?? Currently all he has been doing is shovelling the ball out, or kicking the ball deep, then when inside the 10 he attempts a crazy grubber kick with the defence line closing in on him. He has the speed, a good dummy, a good step, he can pass the ball at the line, he has a great show and go, as seen in his highlight reel .. so why isn't he doing this .. ??

Hopefully Cleary will get him chance his hand more often instead of just passing the ball out .. take them on, make them (the defence) think twice as to what your going to do with the ball. Once he has them thinking twice, the defence will start to stand off you / back peddle, and the holes will appear.

Give him a chance behind a big mobile pack of forwards who can go forward instead of backwards like our forwards have been doing so the past few years. Woodsy was the only forward going forward in the past. Now we have Matulino, Packer, Twal, Eisenhuth, Rochow and hopefully a fit McQueen, players who are all go forward players. I think we will see a rejuvenated Brooksy next season.

Loving the look of our backline next season: Brooks, Reynolds,Milne, Suli, Fonua, Nofoaluma, Lolohea, Thompson, Gamble , Marshall, MWZ .. depth finally. Then with the possibility of two additional players .. ?? our team looks to have the right mix for a change .. !!

Bring the 2018 season on .. !!

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 41 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Thu 28 Sep, 2017 9:00 am

851 wrote:
Tue 26 Sep, 2017 6:48 pm
formerguest wrote:
Russell wrote:
WestsBenTigers wrote:

Highlight reels can be pretty deceiving as this one is. He was brilliant in his first match, and in all the games he's played has never repeated such a dominant performance.while his defence has improved a bit, it's still not adequate, I agree that his last play options are as wonky as hell ( along with his kicking game, mostly.
I'd love to see him start to dominate and maybe Ivan can improve him, but it's been an uphill battle up to now.

I'm not to sure what's bubbling, but it could be a long while before it's cooked,

jai_donaldson
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by jai_donaldson » Thu 28 Sep, 2017 9:37 am

TigerSkins wrote:
Wed 27 Sep, 2017 6:03 pm
What Brooks needs to do is look at that highlight reel of himself .. what made him look so good was the ability to run with the ball at the defensive line .. he had them at sixes and sevens when he ran .. !! He has either got scared from a hit, or he has been told not to run with the ball .. ?? Currently all he has been doing is shovelling the ball out, or kicking the ball deep, then when inside the 10 he attempts a crazy grubber kick with the defence line closing in on him. He has the speed, a good dummy, a good step, he can pass the ball at the line, he has a great show and go, as seen in his highlight reel .. so why isn't he doing this .. ??

Hopefully Cleary will get him chance his hand more often instead of just passing the ball out .. take them on, make them (the defence) think twice as to what your going to do with the ball. Once he has them thinking twice, the defence will start to stand off you / back peddle, and the holes will appear.

Give him a chance behind a big mobile pack of forwards who can go forward instead of backwards like our forwards have been doing so the past few years. Woodsy was the only forward going forward in the past. Now we have Matulino, Packer, Twal, Eisenhuth, Rochow and hopefully a fit McQueen, players who are all go forward players. I think we will see a rejuvenated Brooksy next season.

Loving the look of our backline next season: Brooks, Reynolds,Milne, Suli, Fonua, Nofoaluma, Lolohea, Thompson, Gamble , Marshall, MWZ .. depth finally. Then with the possibility of two additional players .. ?? our team looks to have the right mix for a change .. !!

Bring the 2018 season on .. !!
In Brooks' first 3 full seasons he averaged 51.8, 58 and 52 running meters per game. This season under Cleary and even with the hammy issues he's had he averaged 78 running meters per game with 177m against the Knights. Safe to say based on these stats there's nothing wrong with his running game at all. It's his game management and short attacking kicking game he needs to work on.

wt00
Has liked: 185 times

Unread post by wt00 » Thu 28 Sep, 2017 1:07 pm

Fonua thread has turned into a Luke Brooks thread....
The star of the team is the team.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 137 times

Unread post by formerguest » Thu 28 Sep, 2017 1:18 pm

wt00 wrote:
Thu 28 Sep, 2017 1:07 pm
Fonua thread has turned into a Luke Brooks thread....
Well, someone did suggest he play on the wing.

Return to “Player Contract Rumours & Discussion”