Re: Russell Packer - OFFICIAL..

Post by Black'n'White » Tue 16 May, 2017 7:34 pm

MacDougall wrote:
Tue 16 May, 2017 7:21 pm
Black'n'White wrote:
Tue 16 May, 2017 6:38 pm
Spacecub wrote:
Tue 16 May, 2017 6:07 pm

I heard that too, tragic...the two grubs hughes and tunks make me sick...that show is just a tigers bash up show...they are sooking because marina go and pascoe wont come on their nothing show....tunks also had the hide to say that Ava was a better prop than packer
Comparing Packer to Ava is apples and oranges, but dont kid yourself, we still need to find an Ava type to compliment Matulino and Packer. Mark my words, Ava is the perfect cornerstone prop, and we need to replace him in a like for like or our pack wont work out.

In every team there are specials, the guys that can break apart a game... but they only accent the extraordinarily consistent base line performers. Mat and Pack are the accents. We are well short of performers we can rely on to lay the platform.
Matulino can be that player tbh. When he was at his best he churned out huge metres.

Perhaps Twal or Felise can turn into that guy too.
You are thinking very similar to the way i do... Start with Matulino and Packer, then what? Same as this year? Got to admit, Ava type and consistency sounds good once Packer comes off and flows over the Matulino interchange as well to keep us solid.

We have world class starters now, not pissing in our pockets, truly world class, but we are short a third solid pro workman to tie up the interchange with the p-platers...

Spacecub

Post by Spacecub » Tue 16 May, 2017 7:35 pm

Its obvious that the pair of fleas have it in for the tigers....oh marina and justin wont talk to us...boo hoo

Earl

Post by Earl » Tue 16 May, 2017 8:04 pm

I reckon Aloiai is a perfect bench prop. I think he can even come on and have an impact. He isn't a workmanlike player. He is more a gun bench prop. I think he will offer a lot more than Ava.

I think the question is do we play 3 props off the bench and interchange ET. Grant & Sue are okay and maybe they can do the job but I also think we may have some juniors that can also fill those spots.

I'm not really worried about our bench props. I'm more concerned with ET being a small middle forward and if that will suit the team. I think we now have 2 guys that will smash it up the middle of the park. St George are going great with 3 guys belting it up the middle.

I think we need a gun outside back more than anything and someone who can do the job at fullback.

willow

Post by willow » Tue 16 May, 2017 8:17 pm

If you're looking for an Ava replacement I'd look closely at Felise and Tatola to be honest. Similar builds but I reckon they both have more development in them which would see them surpass Ava.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 16 May, 2017 8:35 pm

Wonder if Lawrence is still on the radar (if he ever has been). He'd be a handy third prop.

BodhiTiger

Post by BodhiTiger » Tue 16 May, 2017 8:37 pm

Bet the Dragons crew aren't too happy.
Nice feeling to be taking another teams best rather than it happening to us.
I thought the general consensus was no one of note would ever come to the Tigers.
A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

MightyTiger

Post by MightyTiger » Tue 16 May, 2017 9:22 pm

I really think Sue and Aloiai will do a good job as bench props. I think Aloiai will provide good impact of the bench. Plus we have Felise, Twal and a few other younger blokes who might really develope this year and during the off season.

tigertye

Post by tigertye » Tue 16 May, 2017 10:27 pm

Great signing!

For too long now the Tigers have been known as a small or soft pack. It's nice to know that come next year we'll have a mix of size and skill in the forward pack.

One thing I'm actually really excited about and it's probably a bit of an underrated point on our two new props is they're both very quick at getting to the play the ball. This will hopefully see MM and Liddle with more time with the ball and see our hookers and halves come into the game a lot more.

It's sure nice to think of what could happen with a pack that puts a bit of fear into the opposition, has the potential to dominate and won't be bullied by the bigger sides.

There could be a decent cult following coming for these 2 big Kiwi lads similar to when we had Taupau, Gavet, Ava and Sue causing bruises off the bench.

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Tue 16 May, 2017 11:24 pm

Aloiai is improving in leaps and bounds this year and I expect him to be one of the best front rowers in the game in the next couple of years. He was a great steal from Parra U20s and they have been amply repaid by getting Mitch Moses.

I hope stealing Alex Twal is just as good for us as Josh has been.

Earl

Post by Earl » Wed 17 May, 2017 2:45 pm

sideline eye wrote:
Tue 16 May, 2017 11:24 pm
Aloiai is improving in leaps and bounds this year and I expect him to be one of the best front rowers in the game in the next couple of years. He was a great steal from Parra U20s and they have been amply repaid by getting Mitch Moses.

I hope stealing Alex Twal is just as good for us as Josh has been.
I keep harping on about Aloiai as well. He has great speed and footwork for a big forward.

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Wed 17 May, 2017 5:51 pm

Aloiai was great last year on the edge. Didnt go that well early this year but has improved. If ET returns back to nz id nake him our new lock. Hes got all the skills andis big enough to dent th e line. Just needs to get fitter.

Earl

Post by Earl » Wed 17 May, 2017 5:57 pm

Seantice wrote:
Wed 17 May, 2017 5:51 pm
Aloiai was great last year on the edge. Didnt go that well early this year but has improved. If ET returns back to nz id nake him our new lock. Hes got all the skills andis big enough to dent th e line. Just needs to get fitter.
I reckon he is a better in the middle. If ET goes we just play basically 3 props. Aloiai would suit that role.

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Thu 18 May, 2017 9:50 am

swag tiger

Post by swag tiger » Thu 18 May, 2017 10:11 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 16 May, 2017 7:24 pm
tiger tragic wrote:
Tue 16 May, 2017 5:55 pm
Listening to talkin sport tunks reckons we have paid massive overs for packer and we r just panicking and desperate to get players to have something positive to report. I feel that tunks has never anything positive to say about this club I'm surprised he doesn't work for the telegraph.
Tunks also thinks dad jokes are funny, doesn't know that Michael Gordon played Origin and thinks Gerard Condom is a great punter.
600k for 4 seasons ain't overs for packer.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Thu 18 May, 2017 10:16 am

weststigers wrote:
Thu 18 May, 2017 9:50 am
Is Packer really 121kg??

https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league ... ll-packer/
Not sure but looks like he is in the best shape I have seen

mctiger

Post by mctiger » Thu 18 May, 2017 11:15 pm

Earl wrote:
Wed 17 May, 2017 5:57 pm
Seantice wrote:
Wed 17 May, 2017 5:51 pm
I reckon he is a better in the middle. If ET goes we just play basically 3 props. Aloiai would suit that role.
I was at the members function in Brisbane and had a long chat with Josh who is a great guy. Firstly he thinks Packer is the hardest guy to tackle and is pleased we got him.

Aloiai loves playing in the middle and loves the contact. He was a JT fan and admits his form dropped after he was sacked but he's on the bus and loves the club. He's a future captain (and my new best friend :)

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Thu 18 May, 2017 11:42 pm

Josh broke his hand attempting his 1st tackle vs Souths. Second time in his short career it's happened,and still hasn't missed a match. I'd love him to be a 200 gamer for us. Off field, you won't meet a better person

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Thu 18 May, 2017 11:56 pm

Why cant we have a stsrting pack like this?

8.matulino
9. mckillrick
10. packer
11. mcqueen
12. ET
13. Aloaia

ET played most of his career on the edge. He was aobviously a great defender but he also offloaded and joined in the backline movemts as well. In this scenario we would have 3 props starting with two strong 2nd row defenders on the outside of them. Its win/win as far as im concerned.