Russell Packer - OFFICIAL..

GNR4LIFE

Re: Russell Packer - OFFICIAL..

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 16 Aug, 2017 9:51 pm

He's reminding me a lot of Michael Vick in regards to how he's rehabilitated himself. Can't wait to see him in our jersey next year.

stryker

Post by stryker » Wed 16 Aug, 2017 11:11 pm

Lets not put him on a too large of a pedestal. Hes done scumbag things.
As a football side, we need a filthy mongrel to scare opposition teams...but lets be careful with the role model talk.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 6:23 am

stryker wrote:
Wed 16 Aug, 2017 11:11 pm
As a football side, we need a filthy mongrel to scare opposition teams...but lets be careful with the role model talk.
Yes. A lot can be learned from Packers experience but lets leave it at that.

swag tiger

Post by swag tiger » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 7:54 am

Telltails wrote:
Thu 17 Aug, 2017 6:23 am
stryker wrote:
We have Reynold's as well.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 8:20 am

Telltails wrote:
Thu 17 Aug, 2017 6:23 am
stryker wrote:
Agree with both of you. I can cop that the bloke did his time and therefore should have the right to go back to work as any of us would, but it doesn't erase his past. Hopefully he leaves the mongrel for the footy field.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 4:23 pm

I don't see what is wrong with giving the guy credit for turning his life around. Many don't. What he did was a dog act, i'm sure he'd admit that himself, but i think if he continues on the road he's on contributing to the community, then i don't think he deserves to be defined by it. He could have ended up another Anthony Watts or gone down the same road Ryan Tandy did. He was smart enough to learn from what he did and better himself, which is the point of rehabilitation. Good on him.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 4:33 pm

The more that I have learnt about the guy since his outrageous attack, the more accepting I have been of him, whether at WT or not. He has had a wake up call and acted upon it, and continues to do so.

Mighty Tiger

Post by Mighty Tiger » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 6:27 pm

formerguest wrote:
Thu 17 Aug, 2017 4:33 pm
The more that I have learnt about the guy since his outrageous attack, the more accepting I have been of him, whether at WT or not. He has had a wake up call and acted upon it, and continues to do so.
100% agree

strrretch

Post by strrretch » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 6:45 pm

Was he the guy that took a pee while standing on the footy field? What a shocker! Now doing a uni course and helping disadvantaged kids? The turnaround of turnarounds

voice of reason

Post by voice of reason » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 6:57 pm

strrretch wrote:
Thu 17 Aug, 2017 6:45 pm
Was he the guy that took a pee while standing on the footy field? What a shocker!
In fairness, he wasn't the first to do this.
Suffering supporter since 1967

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 8:51 pm

strrretch wrote:
Thu 17 Aug, 2017 6:45 pm
Was he the guy that took a pee while standing on the footy field? What a shocker! Now doing a uni course and helping disadvantaged kids? The turnaround of turnarounds
Have a look at the avatar of Masterton on here.

palms

Post by palms » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 9:38 am

Russell Packer cashes in on his life transformation, receives Dean’s Award for studies
The Daily Telegraph
July 28, 2017 11:03am
“HE’S a completely different man to the one I first met.”

And with those words, Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary has anointed Russell Packer his new forward leader.

Indeed, Cleary was willing to pay $200,000 a season more than rival club St George Illawarra for the services of Packer.

It’s a monster deal that seemed near-impossible when Packer started drinking on the streets of New Zealand at the age of 12, and even more unlikely when he served a 12-month prison stint for stomping the head of a man in a brutal, alcohol-fuelled assault in 2013.

Fittingly though, it was in prison where Packer decided to turn his life around, quitting the drink and vowing to get educated.

Fast forward to 2017 and Packer is studying a commerce degree at the University of Wollongong. He recently received a Dean’s Award for his outstanding results.

Packer also spends time working with children with disabilities in the Wollongong area, has given up alcohol and taken self-improvement courses since being released from jail.

This transformation is why Cleary was so eager to get Packer to the Tigers as his forward leader.

“He’s got a great story, a story of hard knocks and coming out the other side, and that will resonate with lots of the boys here,” the Wests Tigers coach said.

“… It’s well documented, he’s had his setbacks. But I think he’s a completely different man to the one I first met and even the one I left at the Warriors.

“He’s really changed. He’d be the first to admit that he had to make some mistakes to get where he is now.

“He can actually be a real mentor for some of the young guys here. He knows what it’s like to be on the wrong side of things and he’s making up for it now.”

Packer credits much of his transformation to education, which was made possible by the Graduates of League program.

“I’ve been studying at the University of Wollongong since 2015 and utilising the Graduates of League program, which has been of huge benefit to me and my studies,” Packer told the Illawarra Mercury.

“Studying while you’re playing, even though it’s hard to juggle, is good because of programs like Graduates of League that are available to you.

“It’s great opportunity for [players] who want to go to university, the resources there are unbelievable and if you don’t utilise them it’s kind of on you.

“Just having help, someone to talk to, it’s a great resource and hopefully all the boys that use the Graduates of League program fully take on board everything available to them.”
------------------------------------

I can't wait for this bloke to get on board. As already mentioned, his earlier indiscretions were terrible but he obviously had a hard life growing up and has transformed his life 180 degrees. A massive credit to the bloke and what he is going to bring to the Tigers next year along with Matulino :sign:

palms

Post by palms » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 9:40 am

Just touching on the above, it seems Cleary has got the Telegraph onside now. Another article appeared saying that Des should give Cleary a phone call asking him for advice on how to turn a football team around...it's a far cry from 2 months ago where we were moving to Perth.

barra

Post by barra » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 9:52 am

palms wrote:
Sat 19 Aug, 2017 9:40 am
Just touching on the above, it seems Cleary has got the Telegraph onside now. Another article appeared saying that Des should give Cleary a phone call asking him for advice on how to turn a football team around...it's a far cry from 2 months ago where we were moving to Perth.
Really? I'd love to put a few questions to those journo's on NRL 360 who were trashing us...

Idiots!! :lol:

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 9:54 am

palms wrote:
Sat 19 Aug, 2017 9:40 am
I think that journo may be a tigers fan and agree the majority on side now Kent had some positive words too but sure rothfield and Co still ready to strike.

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 10:04 am

We seamed to have turned a corner with the press. Ivan may be doing the right things but it's no coincidence that it is on the back of improved on field performance.

If we start next year poorly or get smashed last 3 rounds then they will turn again.

oldprop
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by oldprop » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 10:56 am

Congratulations on your achievements Russell. Looking forward to seeing you in our team next season.
Need more props.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sun 27 Aug, 2017 7:56 pm

Does anyone know if his injured and if so what's wrong with him.