Mahe Fonua and Corey Thompson (official)

User avatar
swag tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2043
Joined: Wed 11 Nov, 2015 2:58 pm
Location: tiger island

Mahe Fonua and Corey Thompson (official)

Post by swag tiger » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 3:08 pm

Wests Tigers sign two outside backs

Wests Tigers Media

Thu 8th June, 03:00PM
A A
Wests Tigers Backs
Wests Tigers are pleased to announce the signing of outside backs Mahe Fonua and Corey Thompson for the coming two seasons.

The new two-year deal will see both players who are currently playing in the English Super League join Wests Tigers until at least the end of the 2019 NRL season.

A Tongan international in 2013 and 2015, Fonua will join Wests Tigers after spending the last two seasons at Hull FC. Named as part of the 2016 Super League Dream Team, Fonua also helped Hull FC win the 2016 Challenge Cup Final, scoring a try in the win.

Prior to his stint in England, the Southern Eastern Titans junior played 50 games for the Melbourne Storm between 2012 and 2015 — scoring 24 tries in that time — as well as helping Melbourne to the 2013 World Club Challenge title with a win over Leeds.

Thompson has played a total of 74 professional rugby league matches in his career, playing 35 games for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs between 2013 and 2015, before linking up with Widnes Vikings in 2016 where he made a further 39 appearances.

In his two seasons with the Vikings, Thompson scored an impressive 28 tries in 39 games, and finished the 2016 season as the second-highest try-scorer in Super League.

Wests Tigers Head Coach Ivan Cleary said he looked forward to welcoming both players.

“Both Mahe and Corey have had strong careers in the English Super League and we look forward to them bringing that experience back to Wests Tigers,” said Cleary.

“We’re confident that their overseas experience coupled with their previous successful stints in the NRL will be a positive addition to our playing squad.”

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe said that the pair had proven themselves overseas and that the club looked forward to welcoming them back to the NRL.

“Mahe and Corey have had success in the UK and we’re keen to see them bring this form to our club over the coming two years,” said Pascoe.

Both players will join Wests Tigers for pre-season training ahead of the 2018 NRL season.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018


User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 21382
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 3:12 pm

Cool

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9411
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast

Post by Yossarian » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 3:15 pm

Maybe now we'll see genuine competition for backline positions.

Sco77y
Member
Member
Posts: 759
Joined: Fri 12 Jul, 2013 2:22 pm

Post by Sco77y » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 3:16 pm

Everyone on 2 year contracts? I don't think clubs will be beating down the doors for these 2, but I just hope we don't have another episode of this years contract negotiations..

WT2K
Member
Member
Posts: 2857
Joined: Thu 04 May, 2017 5:18 pm

Post by WT2K » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 3:19 pm

Nice - Should add competition for backline spots, which is a good thing.
:sign:


User avatar
4jtigers
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed 21 Sep, 2011 11:19 am
Location: Doonside NSW

Post by 4jtigers » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 3:21 pm

good stuff - funny how they said nobody wants to come to the West Tigers :)
Old Ways won't Open New Doors – author uknown

User avatar
swag tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2043
Joined: Wed 11 Nov, 2015 2:58 pm
Location: tiger island

Post by swag tiger » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 3:22 pm

Now i am looking forward to the signing of Taane Milne and next season.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018

Seantice
Member
Member
Posts: 1499
Joined: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 9:00 pm

Post by Seantice » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 3:26 pm

swag tiger wrote:
Thu 08 Jun, 2017 3:22 pm
Now i am looking forward to the signing of Taane Milne and next season.
× 2. This also will make nofo work harder because he knows that if his form drops hel be in reggies.

TopTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 849
Joined: Tue 20 Aug, 2013 3:03 pm

Post by TopTiger » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 3:28 pm

Solid signings, building nicely for 2018. Keep the signings coming Ivan!!

tigerap
Member
Member
Posts: 2112
Joined: Tue 06 Oct, 2015 10:08 pm

Post by tigerap » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 3:36 pm

4jtigers wrote:
Thu 08 Jun, 2017 3:21 pm
good stuff - funny how they said nobody wants to come to the West Tigers :)
yeah Peter Tunks stick that up ya clacka

westy81
Member
Member
Posts: 799
Joined: Tue 21 Jun, 2011 1:29 am

Post by westy81 » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 3:53 pm

Im happy with these two signings both are proven first graders and can find the try line, it will create a good competition for spots in the back line and also give us some depth, welcome to the club boys !
GO THE TIGERS !!!!

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 28447
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 4:41 pm

Signing news on a Thursday ..keep it coming Wests Tigers...

Welcome aboard Mahe and Corey..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5566
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 4:44 pm

Sco77y wrote:
Thu 08 Jun, 2017 3:16 pm
Everyone on 2 year contracts? I don't think clubs will be beating down the doors for these 2, but I just hope we don't have another episode of this years contract negotiations..
Everyone? Packer, Nofo, Suli and Reynolds signed 4 year deals, Matulino, McQueen and Twal 3 years.

But besides all that, it's become pretty clear that length of contract can be meaningless if player or club (or both) really wants to move on.

Sco77y
Member
Member
Posts: 759
Joined: Fri 12 Jul, 2013 2:22 pm

Post by Sco77y » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 4:57 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 08 Jun, 2017 4:44 pm
Sco77y wrote:
Thu 08 Jun, 2017 3:16 pm
Everyone on 2 year contracts? I don't think clubs will be beating down the doors for these 2, but I just hope we don't have another episode of this years contract negotiations..
Everyone? Packer, Nofo, Suli and Reynolds signed 4 year deals, Matulino, McQueen and Twal 3 years.

But besides all that, it's become pretty clear that length of contract can be meaningless if player or club (or both) really wants to move on.
Well not literally everyone, but Brooks and Liddle could be fundamental to the team by the time their contracts are up, and then you have a few others in key positions finishing theirs at the same time. But yeah it's really up to the players if they want to stay/club wants to keep them. I guess it could work out that whoever out of those signed for 2 years are ones to keep, the others can be let go to free up cap space.

TigersBusDriver
Member
Member
Posts: 982
Joined: Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:24 pm

Post by TigersBusDriver » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 5:02 pm

Sco77y wrote:
Thu 08 Jun, 2017 4:57 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Thu 08 Jun, 2017 4:44 pm
Sco77y wrote:
Thu 08 Jun, 2017 3:16 pm
Everyone on 2 year contracts? I don't think clubs will be beating down the doors for these 2, but I just hope we don't have another episode of this years contract negotiations..
Everyone? Packer, Nofo, Suli and Reynolds signed 4 year deals, Matulino, McQueen and Twal 3 years.

But besides all that, it's become pretty clear that length of contract can be meaningless if player or club (or both) really wants to move on.
Well not literally everyone, but Brooks and Liddle could be fundamental to the team by the time their contracts are up, and then you have a few others in key positions finishing theirs at the same time. But yeah it's really up to the players if they want to stay/club wants to keep them. I guess it could work out that whoever out of those signed for 2 years are ones to keep, the others can be let go to free up cap space.
I think Brooks' contract ending in 2019 was on purpose. I believe Nathan Cleary's contract ends at the same time. Maybe if Brooks doesnt go too well, IC may have something on his cards?

User avatar
Tigerdave
Member
Member
Posts: 10791
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:04 am
Location: Lismore

Post by Tigerdave » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 5:06 pm

Very good

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 27995
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 5:30 pm

+Never seen a recruitment drive/cleanout like this ...we will be barely recognisable
Exciting stuff
What I like most is all these players want to come and play for Cleary

Sco77y
Member
Member
Posts: 759
Joined: Fri 12 Jul, 2013 2:22 pm

Post by Sco77y » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 5:38 pm

TigersBusDriver wrote:
Thu 08 Jun, 2017 5:02 pm
Sco77y wrote:
Thu 08 Jun, 2017 4:57 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Thu 08 Jun, 2017 4:44 pm
Sco77y wrote:
Thu 08 Jun, 2017 3:16 pm
Everyone on 2 year contracts? I don't think clubs will be beating down the doors for these 2, but I just hope we don't have another episode of this years contract negotiations..
Everyone? Packer, Nofo, Suli and Reynolds signed 4 year deals, Matulino, McQueen and Twal 3 years.

But besides all that, it's become pretty clear that length of contract can be meaningless if player or club (or both) really wants to move on.
Well not literally everyone, but Brooks and Liddle could be fundamental to the team by the time their contracts are up, and then you have a few others in key positions finishing theirs at the same time. But yeah it's really up to the players if they want to stay/club wants to keep them. I guess it could work out that whoever out of those signed for 2 years are ones to keep, the others can be let go to free up cap space.
I think Brooks' contract ending in 2019 was on purpose. I believe Nathan Cleary's contract ends at the same time. Maybe if Brooks doesnt go too well, IC may have something on his cards?
Yeah I noticed that too. Sort of lines up some possibilities if Brooks doesn't deliver in the end.

Post Reply