Mahe Fonua and Corey Thompson (official)

willow

Re: Mahe Founa and Corey Thompson (official)

Post by willow » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 9:26 pm

Demps wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 9:00 am
Spacecub wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 7:03 am
LeichhardtTiger wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 1:19 am
Backline

1. Lolo 2 Nofo 3 Fono 4 Moso 5 Thomo 6 Grubbo 7 Brookso
Hope he hasnt finished recruiting yet...thats not a top 8 backline
Its close tho...
Would prefer,

1. Lolohea
2. Nofo
3. Suli
4. Milne
5. Rona
That's what I expect provided we sign Rona. Fonua will put on some pressure for spots too, or will start if Rona doesn't eventuate.

will1999

Post by will1999 » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 9:37 pm

I want the backline to be
1. Lolohea
2. Nofa
3. Suli
4. Rona
5. Fonua
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 10:13 pm

Nelson wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 9:20 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 8:55 pm
Roar Power wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 8:45 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 8:27 pm

Jumped in without understanding the post again, eh?
Did I say that I thought rhat we would get that sort of top quality players coming here, ?
No .
I just said that they aren't knocking us over in the rush to move here. Which is exactlywhat I'd expect., no fantasy just a fact that I hope will one day change.
For the overs that we've been throwing around , it doesn't surprise me that few of the ones that we've signed, would grab the dollars very quickly, as we're paying well. Some are well worth it, but some maybe not. Only time will tell,
I am not understanding your 'overs' argument. From the numbers I have seen bandied around, they are commensurate with the players standings in the game I reckon. Ivan is moneyballing this recruitment drive and I don't believe significant monies have gone to anybody in particular.
That's fine if you think that we haven't,, I think that we have. We'll know in about 18 months.
One way or another
No you won't, because you'll never actually know what any of them are on.
If they're playing extremely well, then it's not overs, if they are are plodders then it's Overs .
Easy

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 10:23 pm

I wonder how much we paid to lure these two back to Australia especially without a guarantee of first grade. Surely they would have been offered more to say in the U.K. and would be playing top grade there.

I am happy for them both to jump on board as I could see them being good depth or even snaring a first grade spot. Backline still missing a game breaker

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 10:34 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 10:13 pm
Nelson wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 9:20 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Roar Power wrote:

I am not understanding your 'overs' argument. From the numbers I have seen bandied around, they are commensurate with the players standings in the game I reckon. Ivan is moneyballing this recruitment drive and I don't believe significant monies have gone to anybody in particular.
That's fine if you think that we haven't,, I think that we have. We'll know in about 18 months.
One way or another
No you won't, because you'll never actually know what any of them are on.
If they're playing extremely well, then it's not overs, if they are are plodders then it's Overs .
Easy
Easy?
Simple more like it

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 10:50 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 4:03 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Thu 08 Jun, 2017 8:50 pm
4jtigers wrote:
Thu 08 Jun, 2017 3:21 pm
good stuff - funny how they said nobody wants to come to the West Tigers :)
I've never heard that no one will come here , but the numberof top quality players who are battering our door down isn't exactly a torrent,
I don't get it? You expect or desire a torrent of top-quality players battering our door down? Please show me the entryway to this fantasy land.
Did I say that I thought rhat we would get that sort of top quality players coming here, ?
No .
I just said that they aren't knocking us over in the rush to move here. Which is exactlywhat I'd expect., no fantasy just a fact that I hope will one day change.
For the overs that we've been throwing around , it doesn't surprise me that few of the ones that we've signed, would grab the dollars very quickly, as we're paying well. Some are well worth it, but some maybe not. Only time will tell,
It seems I understood you just fine. You desire one day to have top-quality players battering our door down to sign on for us, you think it might actually be possible. That is a fantasy, I can't see it ever happening.

The whole "overs" thing, I agree with Nelson, you'll never know true contract values so it's pure speculation.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 10:50 pm

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 10:23 pm
I wonder how much we paid to lure these two back to Australia especially without a guarantee of first grade. Surely they would have been offered more to say in the U.K. and would be playing top grade there.

I am happy for them both to jump on board as I could see them being good depth or even snaring a first grade spot. Backline still missing a game breaker
The salary cap in ESL is way lower, it's not a great pay day over there for most players. Given the steep increase in our salary cap for next year (and the further projected increases) they're unlikely to be missing out on much coin from coming back even if they are just squaddies. If they can crack it again as regular first graders they'll end up way ahead financially with their next contracts.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 7:10 am

Nelson wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 10:50 pm

The salary cap in ESL is way lower, it's not a great pay day over there for most players. Given the steep increase in our salary cap for next year (and the further projected increases) they're unlikely to be missing out on much coin from coming back even if they are just squaddies. If they can crack it again as regular first graders they'll end up way ahead financially with their next contracts.
Okay cheers. I was always under the impression that players made decent coin in the ESL. Good to hear we haven't had to go crazy to get these guys and they will to keen to impress.

Demps

Post by Demps » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 8:10 am

will1999 wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 9:37 pm
1. Lolohea
2. Nofa
3. Suli
4. Rona
5. Fonua
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
Milne didn't sign to play reserve grade.
I think a selling point woulda been a guaranteed starting spot.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 8:18 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 8:51 pm
TopTiger wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 4:44 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 4:07 pm
I think Packer and Reynolds are 2 of the most quality signings any club has made for next season. They'll take us a long way imo.
Agree, can build a team around these guys.
I think that some of the signings are better than the ones that we have at the moment,but we are so quick to get in a lather whenever someone actually comes here. I'd rather not get all in a knot until we've seen them play a few games for us before I start wetting my daks about them, we have short memories,
It's taken nearly three years for a lot to see the fact that our super halves weren't capable of playing well together. And should not have been put into first grade.
That's not hindside either . as I've had that opinion for most of the time that they were left
To run the team.
I've had plenty thrown at me over the last few years because of my opinion of them. , it's strange seeing so many people now on the bandwagon about them , particularly Moses.
If these guys or at least most of them, work out, that's good
We still need at least one gamebreaker if we want to play Semis IMO.
Totally agree that you were solid in your evaluation of Brooks and Moses GCT,but I did "wet my daks" when Moses left.. :D may I suggest that you go to the supermarket in your area and purchase an ample supply of " Dry Nights" you will need them come round 1 next year when the Tigers start rampaging through the 2018 season..Ivan has done extremely well in recruiting quality players for next year,I know you are an avid supporter of this club and it wouldn't hurt for you to be a bit more excited for us,rather than thinking negatively at this stage.. :lol:
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 8:31 am

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 7:10 am
Nelson wrote:

Okay cheers. I was always under the impression that players made decent coin in the ESL. Good to hear we haven't had to go crazy to get these guys and they will to keen to impress.
Used to be a bit of a goldmine, but the money in the game here post SL changed things a fair bit as did the value of the exchange rate as our dollar soared for a while and lately the pound nosedived as a result of the Brexit vote.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 9:11 am

TrueTiger wrote:
Sat 10 Jun, 2017 8:18 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 8:51 pm
TopTiger wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 4:44 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 4:07 pm
I think Packer and Reynolds are 2 of the most quality signings any club has made for next season. They'll take us a long way imo.
Agree, can build a team around these guys.
I think that some of the signings are better than the ones that we have at the moment,but we are so quick to get in a lather whenever someone actually comes here. I'd rather not get all in a knot until we've seen them play a few games for us before I start wetting my daks about them, we have short memories,
It's taken nearly three years for a lot to see the fact that our super halves weren't capable of playing well together. And should not have been put into first grade.
That's not hindside either . as I've had that opinion for most of the time that they were left
To run the team.
I've had plenty thrown at me over the last few years because of my opinion of them. , it's strange seeing so many people now on the bandwagon about them , particularly Moses.
If these guys or at least most of them, work out, that's good
We still need at least one gamebreaker if we want to play Semis IMO.
Totally agree that you were solid in your evaluation of Brooks and Moses GCT,but I did "wet my daks" when Moses left.. :D may I suggest that you go to the supermarket in your area and purchase an ample supply of " Dry Nights" you will need them come round 1 next year when the Tigers start rampaging through the 2018 season..Ivan has done extremely well in recruiting quality players for next year,I know you are an avid supporter of this club and it wouldn't hurt for you to be a bit more excited for us,rather than thinking negatively at this stage.. :lol:
I'm. It thinking negatively just being realistic
Im not saying they won't be good signings, just that we've been wfong about players before.so until ive seen them play some games for us I'm not going to go overboard about them. The one that I have no worries about is Reynolds. At least about his ability, his discipline is a whole different matter, and I hope that Ivan can control his costly brain explosionsil be happy to wear the odd nappies, but will till they newbies haveshown that they are good buys before buying them😄

yeti

Post by yeti » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 9:13 am

Demps wrote:
Sat 10 Jun, 2017 8:10 am
will1999 wrote:
1. Lolohea
2. Nofa
3. Suli
4. Rona
5. Fonua
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
I would doubt that Cleary would guarantee anyone a starting spot. However, from what others have been saying, it would surprise me if Milne wasn't in the run on side for next year on talent alone. Let's hope he and Suli develop into the best centre pairing in the comp.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 9:37 am

All new recruits are something of a gamble... It's nothing new

Going by GCTs logic JLJ, Rankin, Lovett etc are all being paid overs

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 10:43 am

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 10 Jun, 2017 9:37 am
All new recruits are something of a gamble... It's nothing new

Going by GCTs logic JLJ, Rankin, Lovett etc are all being paid overs
Well maybe that's the answer. Instead of lashing out on players that are inconsistent or unproven, maybe we should stick with what we know in our current squad and develop them.
"Quality Stupidity"

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 10:48 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Roar Power wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
jirskyr wrote:

I don't get it? You expect or desire a torrent of top-quality players battering our door down? Please show me the entryway to this fantasy land.
No .
One way or another
Please explain who we have paid overs to, by how much and who of the recruits we should not have signed?

Brooks and Moses was a different argument - that was potential - the new signings are past potential and are first grade players. I was a Moses fan, still am - he could be one hell of a player, it is unfortunate that his head is in the way at the moment. Does not mean I am a fan of how he conducted himself when wanting to leave though.

Anyway I digress - I am looking forward to your answer to the question.

Earl

Post by Earl » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 1:18 pm

Demps wrote:
Sat 10 Jun, 2017 8:10 am
will1999 wrote:
1. Lolohea
2. Nofa
3. Suli
4. Rona
5. Fonua
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
I don't think that anyone gets a guaranteed starting spot and if we sign Rona then someone is missing out. Fonua, Milne and Rona are competing for 2 spots hopefully on the left edge and that assumes Thompson is no chance of making the top team if we are fully fit.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 2:41 pm

jirskyr wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Thu 08 Jun, 2017 8:50 pm

I've never heard that no one will come here , but the numberof top quality players who are battering our door down isn't exactly a torrent,
No .
It seems I understood you just fine. You desire one day to have top-quality players battering our door down to sign on for us, you think it might actually be possible. That is a fantasy, I can't see it ever happening.

The whole "overs" thing, I agree with Nelson, you'll never know true contract values so it's pure speculation.
I'd be happy if even one top Quality was player battering our door down. Ellis was one who did , so it's not completely Fanrasy. :D