Mahe Fonua and Corey Thompson (official)

Russell

Re: Mahe Founa and Corey Thompson (official)

Post by Russell » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 3:00 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 10 Jun, 2017 2:41 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 10:50 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 8:27 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 4:03 pm

I don't get it? You expect or desire a torrent of top-quality players battering our door down? Please show me the entryway to this fantasy land.
Jumped in without understanding the post again, eh?
Did I say that I thought rhat we would get that sort of top quality players coming here, ?
No .
I just said that they aren't knocking us over in the rush to move here. Which is exactlywhat I'd expect., no fantasy just a fact that I hope will one day change.
For the overs that we've been throwing around , it doesn't surprise me that few of the ones that we've signed, would grab the dollars very quickly, as we're paying well. Some are well worth it, but some maybe not. Only time will tell,
It seems I understood you just fine. You desire one day to have top-quality players battering our door down to sign on for us, you think it might actually be possible. That is a fantasy, I can't see it ever happening.

The whole "overs" thing, I agree with Nelson, you'll never know true contract values so it's pure speculation.
I'd be happy if even one top Quality was player battering our door down. Ellis was one who did , so it's not completely Fanrasy. :D
You need to be winning games consistantly for Marquee players to want to come to the Tigers. Until then we are buying quality players - some will be brilliant - some won't. It is as it is.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 4:59 pm

Gagai would have been nice.

easthullwesty

Post by easthullwesty » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 7:19 pm

Thompson has been a stand out in a bang average widnes side whilst Fonua has been outstanding during his stint at Hull. He made the dream team playing as a centre where he's been utilised for most of his time in England. Absolutely gutted to be losing him.

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 11:03 am

Fonua got MOM in the Challenge Cup overnight.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 11:12 am

Fonua will be ahead of Milne in the pecking order.

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 11:33 am

Looks like we might have some power and speed out wide (let's hope Rona has bought his bus ticket). We need a second rower with ball skill who can create some damage on the edge and utilise that power. With that in mind, I would like to see ET try that role on the edge because I think he is more than just a tackling machine. But then again who would fill his defensive role up the centre?

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 11:44 am

FreddyK wrote:
Mon 19 Jun, 2017 11:33 am
Looks like we might have some power and speed out wide (let's hope Rona has bought his bus ticket). We need a second rower with ball skill who can create some damage on the edge and utilise that power. With that in mind, I would like to see ET try that role on the edge because I think he is more than just a tackling machine. But then again who would fill his defensive role up the centre?
Agree, I think McQueen, Lawrence, Taylor are all fairly similar, I feel like we need someone in the back row that adds some real grunt.

Re Fonua, hopefully he's the strong running centre we have lacked since forever!

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 4:03 pm

easthullwesty wrote:
Sat 10 Jun, 2017 7:19 pm
Thompson has been a stand out in a bang average widnes side whilst Fonua has been outstanding during his stint at Hull. He made the dream team playing as a centre where he's been utilised for most of his time in England. Absolutely gutted to be losing him.
Thanks for your input, always nice to hear from supporters watching the UK Super League!

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 4:45 pm

easthullwesty wrote:
Watched them both in couple so Super League games and they both looke pretty good.
Would not be surprised if both become strong contenders for our starting side next year.
Particularly Fonua who looks to me to have it over Milne .... but we will see.
Plenty of competition in the 3/4 line, particularly if couple more signings eventuate.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 5:27 pm

Both will be ok in a good side. Neither are players worth locking in for the long term and expecting great things in an average team

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 9:00 pm

momo&medo wrote:
Mon 19 Jun, 2017 4:45 pm
easthullwesty wrote:
Watched them both in couple so Super League games and they both looke pretty good.
Would not be surprised if both become strong contenders for our starting side next year.
Particularly Fonua who looks to me to have it over Milne .... but we will see.
Plenty of competition in the 3/4 line, particularly if couple more signings eventuate.
He doesn't have to be that good to be better than Milne.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 9:46 pm

The more I have seen of Fonua he is a winger and a powerful man. Causes havoc on each hit up out of his own end and earns penalties, quick play the balls or offloads.
Rona is clearly better but Fonua is no slouch he will go well.

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 10:11 pm

cqtiger wrote:
Mon 19 Jun, 2017 11:03 am
Fonua got MOM in the Challenge Cup overnight.
There's a few replays of this on fox league later in the week, will iq it and flick through.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 1:31 pm

I think that Suli would be great as a lock or second row. He can tackle and has great leg drive and speed.'

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 1:51 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Tue 20 Jun, 2017 1:31 pm
I think that Suli would be great as a lock or second row. He can tackle and has great leg drive and speed.'
Will happen in time Col but there are a few on here will shout you down about this.

I know a few on here argued that 3 years wasn't enough time for Curtis Sironen to adjust moving into the pack from 5/8.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

05TIGZ

Post by 05TIGZ » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 2:02 pm

cqtiger wrote:
Tue 20 Jun, 2017 1:51 pm
magpiecol wrote:
Tue 20 Jun, 2017 1:31 pm
Will happen in time Col but there are a few on here will shout you down about this.

I know a few on here argued that 3 years wasn't enough time for Curtis Sironen to adjust moving into the pack from 5/8.
I think suli will go better in the second rower aswell. We dont have the depths in backs to try him there but maybe next year with all the backs we are getting he might not be needed there. Is developing nicely and will do well wherever he plays.

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 2:04 pm

Like me. Suli should stay at centre until hes 24-25.

He has the body shape like old mate from raiders. But bigger. Wait until hes confident. Hel kill it out on the edge.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 5:05 pm

Before getting rid of suli as a centre I would like to see him get more ball in attack. Think that he also needs to stand deeper so that he is running on to the ball