We Need Game Breakers

stevied

We Need Game Breakers

Post by stevied » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 7:34 am

Ivan Cleary has done well to sign all the new players and, obviously, there are more to come. However, despite assembling a stronger, deeper playing roster, I seriously worry about our ability to create and score tries. To my mind we will have two many honest toilers, no real game breakers and a serious lack of speed. All our signings so far are solid, metre gaining powerful players that rely on the creativity being provided by someone else. Matulino, Packer and McQueen will get us going forward but who will take advantage of this? Brooks still seriously lacks the ability to take charge of a game, Reynolds is a moderately fast, running five eighth and Lolohea doesn't show the speed and power he exhibited for the Warriors last year. On top of this, we don't have any dynamic, tackle breaking back rowers who can put fear into the opposition and none of our back line signings can go the length of the field. I agree with other people, maybe we should be looking at some of the talent available in other clubs' Holden Cup teams. We hit pay dirt with JAC and maybe we can do it again....

Demps

Post by Demps » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 7:59 am

We need an experienced half.
We need a clean out.
We need a game breaker.

Its not happening this year.
Next yeae is the year.

With the players coming vs the players going, we are a beter team.

Loloheah .... game breaker
Reynolds .... game breaker, he will be less off the hinges because hes not as passionats about the tigers as he is about the dogs so expect to see controlled aggression and a smarter JR.
Sue ... he will really step up with the kiwi boys around like a few years ago when we has Gavet and Taupau.
Packer and Matulino, the same. Never under estimate playing along side your friemds, trying to out do each other.

Not to mentiom the backs who all have something to prove.
Fonua , Thompson, Milne, etc.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

stevied

Post by stevied » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 8:17 am

I know things will changes next year Demps. I've acknowledged that and you mention improvement in players, playing with your mates, etc. However, I am questioning the degree of strike we will have in the team, even with all these new players. We are losing Tedesco, our only true game breaker. I'm wondering where the tries are going to come from.....next year...

stevied

Post by stevied » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 8:18 am

Maybe we should try and get Watson as well as Rona...

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 8:34 am

I just think we need a solid platform for next year.
The cherry ...... later.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 8:41 am

stevied wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 8:17 am
I know things will changes next year Demps. I've acknowledged that and you mention improvement in players, playing with your mates, etc. However, I am questioning the degree of strike we will have in the team, even with all these new players. We are losing Tedesco, our only true game breaker. I'm wondering where the tries are going to come from.....next year...
Unfotunately Steve, Tedesco has been far below his best for us this year....he really hasnt been a game breaker for us....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Demps

Post by Demps » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:05 am

Tedesco is a selfish dud who stifles our attack and ruins oppurtunities.
His career will be plagued with injuries, destined for a yearly leg injury i think every year.

Dont stress.
We are going in the right direction.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:26 am

well i think most on here know, that all IVANS signings will come to nothing unless he comes up with another class prop and two more class back rowers. i believe we have enough backs in the center and wing positions. however iam not sold on loloheah, he looks no more than a NSW CUP player. thats why i hope we get rona. and last we do need another option foe 1/2 back, watson would be a good buy, maybe brooks should have gone with the other 3 mupputs.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:35 am

Watson, Rona, Tupou and Miline all provide x factor. Lolohea provides the biggest x factor.

Earl

Post by Earl » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:58 am

We definitely need some game breakers. We also though need quality players throughout the team that do their jobs well. Our pack needs to get on top. Our backs need to get some quality ball and do something when they get their chances.

Next year we have a completely different looking team and we've also gotten rid of 3 of our 4 most overpaid players. I think our spine though is a massive concern. Liddle/McIlwrick look decent but not great. Brooks at the moment is overpaid and Reynolds is probably going to be overpaid. Lolohea isn't performing great at the moment. So the whole spine could be ordinary. Three out of the four of them are unproven.

The main positive I can see though is that we have money in the bank to go out and purchase players. If quality players come up we can have a shot at them. Worst case we go out and pilfer quality juniors from other clubs.

I'd also expect a junior or two to come through the grades and perform to first grade level. You can't predict this but our stocks seem really poor at the moment and I'd expect that to improve.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 10:02 am

stevied wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 7:34 am
Ivan Cleary has done well to sign all the new players and, obviously, there are more to come. However, despite assembling a stronger, deeper playing roster, I seriously worry about our ability to create and score tries. To my mind we will have two many honest toilers, no real game breakers and a serious lack of speed. All our signings so far are solid, metre gaining powerful players that rely on the creativity being provided by someone else. Matulino, Packer and McQueen will get us going forward but who will take advantage of this? Brooks still seriously lacks the ability to take charge of a game, Reynolds is a moderately fast, running five eighth and Lolohea doesn't show the speed and power he exhibited for the Warriors last year. On top of this, we don't have any dynamic, tackle breaking back rowers who can put fear into the opposition and none of our back line signings can go the length of the field. I agree with other people, maybe we should be looking at some of the talent available in other clubs' Holden Cup teams. We hit pay dirt with JAC and maybe we can do it again....
I hate to be one of those "next season" supporters, but I would seriously hope Tui shows a massive improvement in this area next year. Lose some weight, more structure around him, and not trying to be an organiser (which doesn't seem to come naturally to him).

The Nofo try was a good example of him playing what's in front of him.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 12:13 pm

THIS CLUB NEEDS AN NRL STANDARD TEAM TO COMPETE WEEK IN WEEK OUT.....Until that happens then we will stay where we are on the ladder.....I have faith in IVAN.....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 12:16 pm

??? lovett is a impact player. He comes on, loses the ball, misses tackles and gives away penalties.
What more do you want? 😂

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 12:33 pm

If we're relying on Reynolds to be our only game breaker then it's going to be another long year.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 12:50 pm

Taking into account the new players already/about to be signed for 2018 the only game breakers we need are at least two quality second rowers and a good strong good prop. The current lot of forwards we have would be hard pressed to break an eggshell let alone be game breakers.
Last edited by Newtown on Sun 25 Jun, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 12:52 pm

Bring back Benji !
We were always a chance with him in the team

Current squad would fail to threaten an under 15's team the way they are playing

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 2:02 pm

A lot of people on here are stating that we need this and that, second rowers, front rowers, game breakers, backs, goal kickers etc. etc.

Please name someone who is available, that would fit your desires.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 2:19 pm

Reynolds and Lolo are both game breakers. Marsters and Suli may turn out similarly. When he runs the footy, Brooks can be one as well.
If we continue filling the surrounding positions with hard-arses and high out put workers, we'll be ok.