Benji Marshall - Official..

Should we try get Benji back?

Yes - It would be like the second coming of our Messiah!
72%
No way - Bringing back Benji is a step backwards. We need new direction, new blood.
28%

Total votes: 179

underdog
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: The Benji 2018 Poll

Unread post by underdog » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 9:17 am

Not as a player.

Needaname
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Needaname » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 9:22 am

People should read Ben Ikins article on Fox Sports in regards to aging players and the importance of them in the team. He even goes as far as suggesting the Sharks should let a younger player go for a year to get experience at another club in order to resign Heighnington until he calls it quits.
Ben Ikins reason for this is older experienced players are dependable and therefore make the roster stronger by having less unreliable younger players.
It makes sence in the case of the Sharks and the storm and cowboys they are teams that have always knocked back there upcoming talent to resign an aging experienced roster.
I'm not sure if he would ever be interested but another option would be Hodkinson on a reduced contract for next year thanks to the Knights wanting to move him on. Could even follow his playing career up with coaching / mentoring, seems like a really great bloke to have at any club.

Russell
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by Russell » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 9:48 am

Elderslie Tiger wrote:
Fri 28 Jul, 2017 9:04 am
BRING BACK BENJI he would be good to have around the club as a back up can play any position in the back line and would be good to have as a halves coach .We've spoken in other threads about bringing in outsiders to be halves coach bring back one of our own being able to play when needed would be a bonus lets make Tigers great again .
Hopeless idea - couldn't coach a cockroach up a wall.

He plays off the cuff, whats in front of him, no structure - he doesn't know what he is going to do let alone teach others.

He is a player who still tries to win a game 10 metres from his own line with 2-3 minutes to go with a super risky play. We just got rid of another player like that to Parramatta recently - don't need them back - EVER.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 77 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 10:00 am

He's done. He has to go close to having the most bizarre career of any player in living memory. He burst onto the scene as a prodigy. By 05, he was arguably the face of the game. Then what happened? Has a player ever regressed so much? It's been sad to see in a way.

cqtiger
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by cqtiger » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 10:30 am

He's a Q cup player for crying out loud. You are seeing the difference now for St George without Benji - says it all.

And Gunner is 100%, his rapid decline is sad. I look at Lockyer and how long he was able to keep playing at the top level even though he lost speed. All Benji had was speed and a step.
He doesn't have the ability to adapt to losing his key skills.

I see Benji maybe coming back in some sort of ambassadorial role. That's it.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by formerguest » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 10:41 am

An easy decision, no.

bigsiro
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by bigsiro » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 10:50 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 28 Jul, 2017 10:00 am
He's done. He has to go close to having the most bizarre career of any player in living memory. He burst onto the scene as a prodigy. By 05, he was arguably the face of the game. Then what happened? Has a player ever regressed so much? It's been sad to see in a way.
A bizarre career no doubt. But that's him.

"By 05, he was arguably the face of the game. Then what happened?"

05 he basically won the GF for us - the only one we have ever won. Not good enough for you.
And "then what happened?". Well, he was put into a halfback role which was quite incompatible with his style of play yet despite that he was arguably the world's best player from '09-'11, winning a World Cup for NZ and the Golden Boot - as universal recognition of his place as the game's MVP.

That's regression?

@ shane2801 "No way. Some people have very short memories."

Yes he was erratic. But he has matured and changed his style.

You guys might not want him back for a variety of reasons, but it is not even an argument that Benji is the most important player the Wests Tigers have ever had, besides being the world's most exciting player for many years.
As far as I'm concerned, a Tigers fan dissing Marshall is not just offensive, it's sacrilege. But that's besides the point.

Point is, we need an experienced head in the halves and (taking my obvious man-love out of the equation) - I still believe that he would be a really useful asset on the field, as a role model, and for entertainment, membership and sponsorship etc.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 77 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 11:00 am

bigsiro wrote:
Fri 28 Jul, 2017 10:50 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:

05 he basically won the GF for us - the only one we have ever won. Not good enough for you.
And "then what happened?". Well, he was put into a halfback role which was quite incompatible with his style of play yet despite that he was arguably the world's best player from '09-'11, winning a World Cup for NZ and the Golden Boot - as universal recognition of his place as the game's MVP.

That's regression?

You guys might not want him back for a variety of reasons, but it is not even an argument that Benji is the most important player the Wests Tigers have ever had, besides being the world's most exciting player for many years.
As far as I'm concerned, a Tigers fan dissing Marshall is not just offensive, it's sacrilege. But that's besides the point.

Point is, we need an experienced head in the halves and (taking my obvious man-love out of the equation) - I still believe that he would be a really useful asset on the field, as a role model, and for entertainment, membership and sponsorship etc.
I don't get it. Are you arguing he didn't regress?

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 44 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 11:40 am

cqtiger wrote:
Fri 28 Jul, 2017 10:30 am
He's a Q cup player for crying out loud. You are seeing the difference now for St George without Benji - says it all.

And Gunner is 100%, his rapid decline is sad. I look at Lockyer and how long he was able to keep playing at the top level even though he lost speed. All Benji had was speed and a step.

I'm not necessarily advocating that we sign him back, but let's not get too silly about St. Georges woes being all Benji's fault. They largely got beat up in the forwards week in week out. They went and signed a couple of decent props and amazingly they aren't getting smashed up front every week.

Benji outshone Widdop there because Benji was one of the rare halves who could play behind a beaten pack, he made him name doing that for the Tigers. Correlation does not equal causation.
Corrosive tainted by sin, I'm spilling blood and I can hardly contain it;
Corrosive hallowing the hand, stiffened I eat away, eat into the surface.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

magpiecol
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by magpiecol » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 12:24 pm

bigsiro wrote:
Fri 28 Jul, 2017 10:50 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:

That's regression?

:righton: :righton: :righton:

Best Weststigers player EVER.

Saying that, I am not sure about bringing him back. Could not hurt I suppose.

Tacky
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by Tacky » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 1:16 pm

Needaname wrote:
Fri 28 Jul, 2017 9:22 am
People should read Ben Ikins article on Fox Sports in regards to aging players and the importance of them in the team. He even goes as far as suggesting the Sharks should let a younger player go for a year to get experience at another club in order to resign Heighnington until he calls it quits.
Ben Ikins reason for this is older experienced players are dependable and therefore make the roster stronger by having less unreliable younger players.
It makes sence in the case of the Sharks and the storm and cowboys they are teams that have always knocked back there upcoming talent to resign an aging experienced roster.
I'm not sure if he would ever be interested but another option would be Hodkinson on a reduced contract for next year thanks to the Knights wanting to move him on. Could even follow his playing career up with coaching / mentoring, seems like a really great bloke to have at any club.
I think that's more of something for the forwards, I wouldn't really want an aging winger.

I'm hoping that we can get another experienced prop and second rower. Not to throw this thread of topic but, maybe one of the clubs that are over the cap could provide us with something.
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

momo&medo

Unread post by momo&medo » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 4:12 pm

Sentiments aside,I think he may be ok at right price. Can cover quite a few positions plus brings some more experience to the roster.
And it would be nice to see his career wind down at the WT.

cqtiger

Unread post by cqtiger » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 5:01 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 28 Jul, 2017 11:40 am
cqtiger wrote:

I'm not necessarily advocating that we sign him back, but let's not get too silly about St. Georges woes being all Benji's fault. They largely got beat up in the forwards week in week out. They went and signed a couple of decent props and amazingly they aren't getting smashed up front every week.

Benji outshone Widdop there because Benji was one of the rare halves who could play behind a beaten pack, he made him name doing that for the Tigers. Correlation does not equal causation.
Not all his fault at St George, just 75%.
Basically neutered Widdop the longer he stayed. Don't forget it was the same forward pack that previously made the finals - but lets embellish the story
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

BlackandGoldForever

Unread post by BlackandGoldForever » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 5:13 pm

he has been done since that 2012 season when we were suppose to win the comp... there he was on the footy show saying he needs to 'stand up' he just got worse and worse as a player from that year on. he should have won another comp in 2010 and 2011 when we were a chance. he also missed to much footy in his prime with the shoulder injuries

WestsBenTigers
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 8:39 pm

I would bring him back. He obviously won't be our first choice starter, but all the fans love him and it would be great for our club. He is playing out of his skin at the moment and I wouldn't mind throwing him a 1-year deal. He would add great depth to our halves, something that we have lacked in previous years.

NRL: 6. Reynolds 7. Brooks
Reserve Grade: 6. Benji 7. Gamble

I vote yes!

Aceshigh

Unread post by Aceshigh » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 9:41 pm

Wake up too ya bloody selves , no Benji

Aceshigh

Unread post by Aceshigh » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 9:41 pm

Bring Nathan Brown back , now ya talkin

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 44 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 9:44 pm

cqtiger wrote:
Fri 28 Jul, 2017 5:01 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 28 Jul, 2017 11:40 am
cqtiger wrote:

Not all his fault at St George, just 75%.
Basically neutered Widdop the longer he stayed. Don't forget it was the same forward pack that previously made the finals - but lets embellish the story
Wasn't Benji well up the ladder for the 2015 Dally M? Equal second if I remember right?

Can't have been too bad.
Corrosive tainted by sin, I'm spilling blood and I can hardly contain it;
Corrosive hallowing the hand, stiffened I eat away, eat into the surface.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Return to “Player Contract Rumours & Discussion”