Benji Marshall - Official..

Should we try get Benji back?

Yes - It would be like the second coming of our Messiah!
73%
No way - Bringing back Benji is a step backwards. We need new direction, new blood.
27%

Total votes: 186

cqtiger
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: The Benji 2018 Poll

Unread post by cqtiger » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 12:19 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 28 Jul, 2017 9:44 pm
cqtiger wrote:
Fri 28 Jul, 2017 5:01 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 28 Jul, 2017 11:40 am
cqtiger wrote:
Fri 28 Jul, 2017 10:30 am
He's a Q cup player for crying out loud. You are seeing the difference now for St George without Benji - says it all.

And Gunner is 100%, his rapid decline is sad. I look at Lockyer and how long he was able to keep playing at the top level even though he lost speed. All Benji had was speed and a step.
He doesn't have the ability to adapt to losing his key skills.

I see Benji maybe coming back in some sort of ambassadorial role. That's it.
I'm not necessarily advocating that we sign him back, but let's not get too silly about St. Georges woes being all Benji's fault. They largely got beat up in the forwards week in week out. They went and signed a couple of decent props and amazingly they aren't getting smashed up front every week.

Benji outshone Widdop there because Benji was one of the rare halves who could play behind a beaten pack, he made him name doing that for the Tigers. Correlation does not equal causation.
Not all his fault at St George, just 75%.
Basically neutered Widdop the longer he stayed. Don't forget it was the same forward pack that previously made the finals - but lets embellish the story
Wasn't Benji well up the ladder for the 2015 Dally M? Equal second if I remember right?

Can't have been too bad.
CB I don't like getting into prolonged debates, ala Happy, suffice to say that Benji had one good year at the dragons. Hence why the dragons didn't re-sign him and there were no other takers until the broncos made him a basement bargain offer and has played mostly Q cup.

Most on here just want a warm feeling by bringing Benji back to the Tigers but they will turn on him every time he crabs across field or throws a pass over the sideline.

I don't want him as a player because he is yesterdays man.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

AnnandaleTiger
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by AnnandaleTiger » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 11:55 pm

Word is the sun herald are announcing his signing tomorrow.

willow
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by willow » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 3:18 am

As a depth option, yes.

junior05
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by junior05 » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 6:49 am

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by jadtiger » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 6:58 am

pascoe is quoted about him being signed next year.I hope it is for no more than 150k and 1 year only

willow
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by willow » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:01 am

Benji Marshall signs deal to return to the Wests Tigers
August 13 2017 - 6:00AM
Danny Weidler

Redemption rather than romance dominates rugby league stories. But Benji Marshall's return to Wests Tigers is dripping with the qualities of a Mills and Boon novel. Marshall, 32, and the Tigers confirmed yesterday that the club legend will be returning to Leichhardt in 2018.

"I'm coming home," Benji told The Sun-Herald yesterday. "And it feels good. I never wanted to leave the place, and I've tried several times to get back and now I've got my chance."

Marshall's return to the Tigers will be one of the stories of 2018: A favourite son coming back to help a club that's going through a massive rebuild under new coach Ivan Cleary.

Marshall met with Cleary when the Tigers played the Broncos in round 11 this year and very nearly joined the club then.

"We talked about a mid-year switch," Marshall said. "But in the end I felt like I wanted to see this year out with Brisbane because it's been so good for my game and I've still got work to do with Brisbane. I'm their professional 18th man. My time here with Brisbane has really turned my game around and it has rejuvenated me."

Marshall doesn't have many regrets in his career but the way he exited the Tigers is one that is driving his return to the club.

"The way I announced I was going to the [Auckland] Blues seemed right at the time, but now that I look at it, I wish I had done things differently," Marshall said. "I never wanted to leave the club, but they didn't want me and I probably could've handled things better back then. The great thing about returning has been telling my family. Most of them are still Tigers fans and they are really happy with the decision. And I'm really happy because I love the club. I tried a few times to come back since I left, but the opportunity just wasn't there under Jason Taylor or Mick Potter.

"Now it's there I hope I can make a difference as a senior player and as someone who might be able to mentor the younger players.

"I come back to the club as a different person and player. I now know how to have a good look at myself and realise how to accept responsibility for my actions and how to fix what I may be doing wrong. In the past it was easy to blame other people instead of owning my flaws or errors."

Marshall knows he will be playing second fiddle to the likes of Luke Brooks and new recruit Josh Reynolds, but he hopes to fit in somewhere and help educate the team.

Tigers boss Justin Pascoe said: "The whole club is really excited to be welcoming a legend like Benji back. Benji has a long history with this club, with the members, the fans and with the stakeholders and bringing back a life member to help to continue to transform this footy club is a great result for everyone.

"Benji will add experience and leadership to our young group of players coming through, not only on the field but also off the field. The communication Ivan Cleary, [general manager of football] Kelly Egan and myself have had with Benji is very clear around his role with the Wests Tigers. He will be given every opportunity to compete for a starting position and put pressure on those ahead of him and he will also be expected to, and is looking forward to, being a mentor to those young players coming through.

"What excites me the most is that Benji can see and believes in the direction the club is heading and he wants to be part of that. He sees the future of the Wests Tigers is extremely bright."

supercoach
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 63 times

Unread post by supercoach » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:10 am

Iam all for giving Benji a one year deal, but I see his value as a mentor and a player who can be called on when injuries strike or poor form and I think you will see plenty of both. I certainly don't see him as the mesiah but I think it a real positive signing. His goal kicking alone might make it hard to leave him out of the starting side

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:22 am

We have to have some stars on the paddock just to make the game interesting to watch. Imagine if Benjy had come back early and running in tandem with Tedesco - there would have been mayhem.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Knuckles
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Knuckles » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:22 am

Let's hope those who were so acrimonious and outspoken at his departure can embrace the return of a club legend.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think Benji would ever play for us gain ...... probably the best news to come out of a turmoil ravaged season.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:29 am

If Benjy does go well here will we be looking back in anger at Jason for not letting him back for salted beer nuts?
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 154 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:30 am

This feels a bit surreal.

Boonboon2
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Boonboon2 » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:34 am

I am soolo excited. Didnt realise hiw excited id be till this haooened jumping around the lunge room benjis back baby. Wife thinks im crazy kids prob do too haha

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:36 am

I will make a point of seeing him live somewhere next year, hopefully against the Broncos as have not seen them live yet.

cqtiger
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by cqtiger » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:42 am

"I never wanted to leave the place but they didn't want me..."

This is why I don't want him back but he's coming anyway. Still deluded.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

voice of reason
Has liked: 8 times

Unread post by voice of reason » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:43 am

My young bloke is going to be ecstatic - for him Benji is the Tigers. I'm not sure how much top grade he'll play but I hope he can find some solid form and add something to the club's future. In nearly 60 years of watching the game he's still the most exciting player I've ever seen.
Suffering supporter since 1967

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 154 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:44 am

cqtiger wrote:
Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:42 am
"I never wanted to leave the place but they didn't want me..."

This is why I don't want him back but he's coming anyway. Still deluded.
Mmm. He was the one who asked for a release.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 257 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 8:00 am

I guess that signs the death knell for Jack Littlejohn...

The experience Marshall brings will be valuable...Now if Heighington comes as well the lunches will go to another level...

Wests Tigers need to get their act together...something official might be better than the Lurker, Mole and 5th tackle announcing our signings please,,,
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 8:09 am

Knuckles wrote:
Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:22 am
Let's hope those who were so acrimonious and outspoken at his departure can embrace the return of a club legend.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think Benji would ever play for us gain ...... probably the best news to come out of a turmoil ravaged season.
I can understand some of the detractors not being happy about the club bringing Benji back,however if you look at the wider picture,he will be an awesome addition to a mentoring role as well as a backup player..we must not forget that although Benji is slower than in his early days he is still a very classy player..he has done during his career that others in his position may never emulate..
on an even broader sense his coming back will surely increase member and fan base,sponsor interest and a greater ticket sales at games..lets not forget he loves the Tigers and the kids during his time here all wanted to play like Benji..once again he could be a huge draw card..in my opinion,Benji will be a major and significant part of this club going forward and becoming the great club and successful joint venture that it at times has shown it should be,poor decisions and poor management are the things that have kept this club from going forward and now we have the opportunity to shine as a great club..
Ivan is steering this bus and next year we can look forward to a much improved team and club....I honestly think we are finally on the right track with most of the potholes filled and repaired..
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Return to “Player Contract Rumours & Discussion”