MOYLAN MAYBE RELEASED ..

Russell
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: MOYLAN MAYBE RELEASED ..

Unread post by Russell » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 8:32 am

Prefer Reynolds myself - don't think we have seen the best of this bloke yet. I am sure Cleary will bring out talent that nobody thought he had.

IMHO, we don't need Moylan - we just got rid of a 5/8 with the same traits.

As Ink says "Do we really want another 'special', dummy spitting prima donna?"

And as Abe says "has the mindset of a petulant teenage girl"

Another mercenary it would seem - at least Reynolds bought into our plans.

I also think (not that he wants to play there) Lolo is a better full back. Laugh all you like. He is!

avocadoontoast
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 42 times

Unread post by avocadoontoast » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 8:45 am

Russell wrote:
Wed 04 Oct, 2017 8:32 am
Prefer Reynolds myself - don't think we have seen the best of this bloke yet. I am sure Cleary will bring out talent that nobody thought he had.

IMHO, we don't need Moylan - we just got rid of a 5/8 with the same traits.

As Ink says "Do we really want another 'special', dummy spitting prima donna?"

And as Abe says "has the mindset of a petulant teenage girl"

Another mercenary it would seem - at least Reynolds bought into our plans.

I also think (not that he wants to play there) Lolo is a better full back. Laugh all you like. He is!
Come on mate, Lolo is a good player but he's not in the same universe as Moylan. And Reynolds form in 2017 was borderline reserve grade. The best combo would be Lolo at 1 and Moylan at 6, but it ain't gonna happen.

Spud Murphy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 88 times

Unread post by Spud Murphy » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 8:47 am

If the Sharks want, the Sharks will get. Time to put this thread to bed, we have our 5/8 and fullback for next season.

Onthebus
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Onthebus » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 9:02 am

I'd love to see Reynolds stay at the dogs

supercoach
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 90 times

Unread post by supercoach » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 9:08 am

We point the finger at the likes of Manly and the Chooks when it comes questionable salary cap, but gee the Sharks must have one hell of a book keeper. They sure have a lot of high priced players on their books, Holmes,Dugan,Moylan or Maloney,Gallan,Grahame,Fifita and than you have the likes of Prior,Townsend and a few others who are not on the basic salary. Okay Tpa's and long serving exceptions would kick in a little but they seem to be in the race for any quality that comes onto the market

colmcd
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by colmcd » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 9:22 am

Abraham wrote:
Wed 04 Oct, 2017 8:12 am
avocadoontoast wrote:
Fri 29 Sep, 2017 8:19 pm
Abraham wrote:
Fri 29 Sep, 2017 11:59 am
I don't see where he fits into our side, based on players already on the books long-term.

He is an upgrade on our current playmakers though, and personally I would play him at 5/8, and shift Reynolds at hooker. Grub would be like a pig in mud playing in the middle.

But then again if Brooks continues his current form, he could be the guy to make way.

Between Brooks, Reynolds, Tui, Benji and possibly Moylan ... that's alot of potential playmakers. You couldn't possibly keep them all in the 17 each week, which means we have spent big money on someone to play reggies.
Moylan would fit wherever he wanted to play...
Outlaying a reported $900k + $250k transfer fee for a bloke with dodgy hammies (we already have two of those in the halves next year) and the mindset of a petulant teenage girl has the real possibility of ending in tears.

Not saying he can't play footy, but the money might not justify the risk.
The key bit is Penrith wants to get rid of him or is getting rid of him. Naturally a player who pulled out of a finals run isn't going to be popular.

The Sharks are looking for an X factor. Still not sure why they would punt Maloney, but they would know their player better then we would.

Unless we are talking a swap of Reynolds for Moylan or a 3 way swap we should not be interested. We need good solid defense at the back and experience in our back line, I would only be interested in Reynolds and Maloney and I have real questions as to why the sharks are wanting to get rid of him. (otherwise I would take Maloney over Reynolds and Reynolds over Moylan).

05TIGZ
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by 05TIGZ » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 9:34 am

tiger05premier wrote:
Wed 04 Oct, 2017 7:08 am
05TIGZ wrote:
Wed 04 Oct, 2017 5:56 am
I don't understand how the sharks have cap space to offer Moylan $850k a year. They didn't have the cap space to upgrade Maloneys contract from $500k a year but with a swap they will magically find another $350k.
I think you will find they did have the space.

They just didn't feel they needed to when they have him signed on half of what it would cost any other club to have him.

Gives them some options.

That could strengthen their squad and still have Maloney or swap him as the article states for a younger player and give the extra cap space the to secure the player they want.

Maloneys mistake was signing his current deal before the new salary cap figures were announced
So you reckon the sharks have cap space after signing Dugan on close to $1m , re signing Holmes on big coin, Fifita, Gallen, Lewis, . The cap is a rort and we're one of a few clubs not on it.

bathursttiger
Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by bathursttiger » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 9:41 am

I think that Ivan will bring the best out of Reynolds, he has improved most of the players this season even though he's only been here a short time.
Des has destroyed most of the squad at the dogs this year, hopefully Ivan can improve Brooks as well and get a good combination working with grub.
We don't know what plans Ivan has in place for the years ahead for our halves into the future.
In Ivan we trust.

Curly Tiger
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Curly Tiger » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 9:52 am

The clubs with truly independent directors who don't come from the old school of football mates and leagues club backgrounds are the ones that are cap compliant, I know this to be the case with us, but there aren't many clubs like that. Professional directors aren't going to risk their reputations on anything less than that. Prior to the current board we weren't, there was very little oversight on player signings and we had all manner of bizarre arrangements coming out of the woodwork which as we know hamstrung us for years, only now have we come out of that. But it remains a hugely uneven playing field when you compete in the player market against teams that don't follow the same rules. To fix that probably requires a truly independent NRL Board and Chair to enforce or it will continue. NRL needs a leader that can stand up to the dictators that run most clubs in environments of less than acceptable levels of governance. Grant never was that man, it would be hoped that Peter Beattie could possibly be if and when he assumes the Chairman's role

Telltails
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by Telltails » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 9:54 am

Its interesting reading how everyone rates the possibilities and while securing Moylan is looking less likely - for me he is exactly what we need.
Watched him play a game against the Raiders this season where he completely took control and orchaestrated a win when they looked beat, possibly one of the best individual performances I have seen for yonks. Miles ahead in skill level of any player we have atm - and I am glad if nothing else that we are in there having a good crack.
As for the personality accusations ..... Cleary has dismmissed that and he knows him -' and it seems to be the age old excuse on this forum for every good player we miss out on, or we lose, who then goes on to play at another club and kills it.

tiger05premier
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by tiger05premier » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 10:08 am

05TIGZ wrote:
Wed 04 Oct, 2017 9:34 am
tiger05premier wrote:
Wed 04 Oct, 2017 7:08 am
05TIGZ wrote:
Wed 04 Oct, 2017 5:56 am
I don't understand how the sharks have cap space to offer Moylan $850k a year. They didn't have the cap space to upgrade Maloneys contract from $500k a year but with a swap they will magically find another $350k.
I think you will find they did have the space.

They just didn't feel they needed to when they have him signed on half of what it would cost any other club to have him.

Gives them some options.

That could strengthen their squad and still have Maloney or swap him as the article states for a younger player and give the extra cap space the to secure the player they want.

Maloneys mistake was signing his current deal before the new salary cap figures were announced
So you reckon the sharks have cap space after signing Dugan on close to $1m , re signing Holmes on big coin, Fifita, Gallen, Lewis, . The cap is a rort and we're one of a few clubs not on it.
Not saying I believe that the sharks are cap compliant. I do believe they rort it as well as other clubs. But just going on rumours read over the months (and lets face it most are bs) Maloney wants more money. Sharks won't pay it. Than its reported he wants out to earn more but sharks won't have a bar of it without a replacement. At this time it's reported they are willing to release Maloney if they can secure Cronk who would cost more than double Maloney. Now there is talk of awap with Moylan who almost coat double Maloney and even talk that they want both Maloney and Molylan.
So if any of them scenarios happen they are either blatantly cheating and playing for no points next year whichis unlikely cos NRL won't allow shark's to register contracts that take them over. Or they legally cap compliant (obviously the case if they get the players they want and NRL registers contracts).
Of course they are probably than seen as cheating but proving it would be near impossible teams rarely gat caught

TigerSkins
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by TigerSkins » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 10:59 am

Would seem funny that Sharks aren't prepared to pay Maloney any more $$ because of their salary cap issues, but are prepared to let Maloney go and sign Moylan on a much higher $$ figure than what they were already paying Maloney .. go figure ??

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 203 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 11:31 am

On hand people are saying if Cleary wants Moylan that it must count for something, all the while running the Reynolds signing down. Who was it that signed Reynolds out of curiosity?

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 153 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 11:53 am

TigerSkins wrote:
Wed 04 Oct, 2017 10:59 am
Would seem funny that Sharks aren't prepared to pay Maloney any more $$ because of their salary cap issues, but are prepared to let Maloney go and sign Moylan on a much higher $$ figure than what they were already paying Maloney .. go figure ??
It sounds as though Cronulla are going to let Maloney go at the end of 2018 either way. He wants his contract bumped for that final year. If it is indeed a salary cap issue they obviously can't backload the final year of a contract, and if they still wanted him around they'd have resigned him and backloaded his pay rise for 2018. They can sign Moylan for multiple years and backload the contract.
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

avocadoontoast
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 42 times

Unread post by avocadoontoast » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 12:22 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 04 Oct, 2017 11:31 am
On hand people are saying if Cleary wants Moylan that it must count for something, all the while running the Reynolds signing down. Who was it that signed Reynolds out of curiosity?
If Moylan was available when we were talking to Reynolds who do you reckon Ivan would have gone after harder? He signed Reynolds because there was a lack of good 5/8's on the market and we desperately needed someone for next year.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 255 times
Been liked: 387 times

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 12:38 pm

Pascoe is on holidays so I wouldn't be expecting any signing announcements soon..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 203 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 12:47 pm

avocadoontoast wrote:
Wed 04 Oct, 2017 12:22 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 04 Oct, 2017 11:31 am
If Moylan was available when we were talking to Reynolds who do you reckon Ivan would have gone after harder? He signed Reynolds because there was a lack of good 5/8's on the market and we desperately needed someone for next year.
Considering Cleary has been a fan of grub for a while, id say Reynolds would have been every chance of being chased over Moylan. I believe he was quoted once as saying "What a player" in regards to Reynolds. Moses still had a contract on the table, which Cleary pulled. Maybe because he had identified Reynolds as a player he wanted. The fact we threw significant money at him also supports that possibility.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by formerguest » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 1:01 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 04 Oct, 2017 12:38 pm
Pascoe is on holidays so I wouldn't be expecting any signing announcements soon..
Oh hell, likely to lose another player to Melbourne.

Return to “Player Contract Rumours & Discussion”