Wests Tigers - 2018 development players

Russell

Re: Wests Tigers - 2018 development players

Post by Russell » Sat 21 Oct, 2017 8:43 pm

Maybe it is a good idea, in the fact that it may protect some of these young players.

People like Benji (shoulders), Tedesco (knees), Suli (ankle) etc...

Sometimes they can start in the NRL too quickly.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sat 21 Oct, 2017 9:05 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Sat 21 Oct, 2017 7:24 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sat 21 Oct, 2017 7:07 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Sat 21 Oct, 2017 6:56 pm
So are we limited to just the top 30 to pick NRL players from?
All Clubs are...outside of that exemptions will need to be sort much like they were after the old second tier Cap was exhausted which no longer exists...

It's one of the sticking points from the RLPA for the CBA in that non NRL both youth and overage players will not have a pathway to NRL if they are not on an NRL contract...

Marshall-King would not have made a debut without an exemption..
Well yes I didn't think we'd have different conditions to other clubs!
It's a shame I think. It'd be good for these guys to have a shot at 1st grade if they're form warrants it.
Heath Gibbs in particular its a shame for. From some reports he could easily push our centre stocks for an NRL debut next year. Crazy he signed a development contract.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 22 Oct, 2017 7:53 am

I may be incorrect but the Knights were offering only one year deals to some of their best under 20s players.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 22 Oct, 2017 8:25 am

Keen to see how all of the development players perform during the offseason and beyond. I think there's a lot of upside to the players signed, it's also a sign of the times at the Tigers that they have signed 3 players from outside of their own system for a change.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Sun 22 Oct, 2017 9:48 am

Knights fans are pretty filthy on losing McIntrye, they see him as a definite first grader. He looks to have a bit of class about him in the highlights there.

I know it would have been hard playing with garbage but Mikaele didn't stand out to me. Both Tatola and Felisse looked much better at his age imo

Haven't seen much or heard about the other two so look forward to watching next year.

Don't know about Seyfarth, he looks another Matt Woods to me.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Sun 22 Oct, 2017 11:44 am

Geo. wrote:
Fri 20 Oct, 2017 8:06 pm
Needaname wrote:
Fri 20 Oct, 2017 8:05 pm
Still I ask, why sign only 4 when 6 is the possibility?
Can someone explain the benefits/disadvantages to this?
You can add another 2 later if the quality becomes available if you wish...
Geo, can any of these development players be moved into the top 30 contracted squad if there is a vacancy?

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 10:45 am

This whole thing seems crazy. Under no circumstances should we be blocking the best youth players from playing first grade! The likes of Suli, Addo-Carr, Ponga, Crichton etc would all be blocked by these rules as they would have been on these types on contracts before their made their break through.

Smith would be unlikely for next eyar as he's only 17 for now but the others already have 1-2 years of NYC under their belt and could potentially be ready for first grade at some point next season. They probably won't but it they start killing it and make exceptional progress why should they be held back?

Also it's not uncommon for the bottom clubs to use 35-40 players in a season. Where do these players come from? You'd like to think development players would be right in the mix as they at least train full time with the NRL boys but even then if they're not ready they shouldn't be forced into first grade as an injury replacement if they're not ready.

Anyone have any stats or videos on Smith?

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 11:21 am

bathursttiger wrote:
Sun 22 Oct, 2017 11:44 am
Geo. wrote:
Needaname wrote:
Geo, can any of these development players be moved into the top 30 contracted squad if there is a vacancy?
I would imagine players could be upgraded to NRL contracts if spots are available and it is warranted Yes...

Just like Suli got an upgrade at the start of this year...

I don't see much changing ..if Clubs are severely hit by injury and need to use players outside of the Top 30 they will get exemptions just like they have in the past...

If a young gun is good enough they will be in the Top 30 anyway..the players it effects the most are overage players who will now find it harder to play NRL without an NRL Contract...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 8:47 am

Geo. wrote:
Mon 23 Oct, 2017 11:21 am
bathursttiger wrote:
Sun 22 Oct, 2017 11:44 am
Geo. wrote:
Needaname wrote:
I would imagine players could be upgraded to NRL contracts if spots are available and it is warranted Yes...

Just like Suli got an upgrade at the start of this year...

I don't see much changing ..if Clubs are severely hit by injury and need to use players outside of the Top 30 they will get exemptions just like they have in the past...

If a young gun is good enough they will be in the Top 30 anyway..the players it effects the most are overage players who will now find it harder to play NRL without an NRL Contract...
From the Pascoe and Cleary Questions and Answers videos,they said we have two spots left.
How do you think is most likely to gain a Top 30 spot, if we don’t sign anyone?
Is the new cap announced on Nov 1 ?
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

swag tiger

Post by swag tiger » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 10:12 am

Tigers' young gun to replace Teddy
The Tigers believe they may have found the long-term successor to James Tedesco’s fullback role in young Shark Dylan Smith.
Tigers coach Ivan Cleary has signed the Australian Schoolboys star on a three-year deal and will place him in the fulltime squad next season despite the fact he is only 18.
From well-known league nursery Endeavour Sports High School in the heart of Cronulla territory, Smith also played for NSW Combined High Schools this year.
Fast and elusive, he could be one the Sharks regret letting slip through the net.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/10/24/07/ ... a-the-mole
Tuesday, October 24th 2017
8:00am
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 3:16 pm

swag tiger wrote:
Tue 24 Oct, 2017 10:12 am
Tigers' young gun to replace Teddy
The Tigers believe they may have found the long-term successor to James Tedesco’s fullback role in young Shark Dylan Smith.
Tigers coach Ivan Cleary has signed the Australian Schoolboys star on a three-year deal and will place him in the fulltime squad next season despite the fact he is only 18.
From well-known league nursery Endeavour Sports High School in the heart of Cronulla territory, Smith also played for NSW Combined High Schools this year.
Fast and elusive, he could be one the Sharks regret letting slip through the net.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/10/24/07/ ... a-the-mole
Tuesday, October 24th 2017
8:00am
Good signing Engadine lad who can play. 2 years away from first grade but massive talent. The Newcastle kids we signed also go well. Smart recruitment.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 3:47 pm

Follows Curtis Scott (ex Aust Schoolboys) out the door from Cronulla. Other young players Salmon (half, second row), Metchalf (a 7) and the young centre going to the Titans. Sharks' diehards are of the view the coach needs to use his young stars more.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 4:53 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Tue 24 Oct, 2017 3:47 pm
Follows Curtis Scott (ex Aust Schoolboys) out the door from Cronulla. Other young players Salmon (half, second row), Metchalf (a 7) and the young centre going to the Titans. Sharks' diehards are of the view the coach needs to use his young stars more.
Cronulla have the issue of a lot of post-premiership clubs - do you continue to try to wring all of the possible output from the existing roster, or revitalise it? Sharks still got close to the GF this year without having a great season.

E.g. if you lose a Jack Bird, do you replace him with a young player who is maybe two years away from consistent FG, or do you buy a proven performer with that kind of money (which is what they did).

Sharks are going to need to transition their roster very carefully if Gallen, Lewis, Heighington, Maloney, Bird all leave within a year or two of each other.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 5:21 pm

Agreed. Good post. Scott should have been retained although there is talk of him needing to get out of the Shire. There are a could of good young second row forwards at the Sharks who we should examine. One is a team mate of young Smith by the name of Teig.

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 5:31 pm

I think Jakob Giles looks the goods.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 8:33 pm

Demps wrote:
Thu 26 Oct, 2017 5:31 pm
My blood runs cold, my angel is a centrefold

Lidcombe Magpie

Post by Lidcombe Magpie » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 9:31 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Thu 26 Oct, 2017 8:33 pm
Demps wrote:
Haha

Stick with your posts as your signing is rubbish

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 10:10 pm

Lidcombe Magpie wrote:
Thu 26 Oct, 2017 9:31 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Thu 26 Oct, 2017 8:33 pm
Demps wrote:
Haha

Stick with your posts as your signing is rubbish
I think that it should be "singing", who knows after a few beer Ink might have a great voice!!!