Cronk - Roosters Official..

Harvey

Re: Cronk - Roosters Official..

Post by Harvey » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 5:25 pm

New CBA sets minimum contracts as 120k. The Telegraph may want to revisit its article as surely even its readers can work out that you can't get 9 of those contracts for 750k

underdog

Post by underdog » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 9:43 am

Fade To Black wrote:
Mon 30 Oct, 2017 6:38 pm
everett8 wrote:
Fri 27 Oct, 2017 4:36 pm
I rate Cronk highly and can't understand any rugby league fan calling him a myth.

Played in 7 grand finals for 4 wins. Played over 300 games and one of the reason QLD & Aust have dominated. Not an imortal but next level down

I would perfer him to retire or play part time for the Storm than for another club.

If he goes to chooks and Pearce leaves then the fallout will outweight his class.

Will miss watching the greatest spine in league history go around week in week out.
The "myth" thing is probably due to the fact that he was a playmaker in the biggest Grand Final slaughter in history...40-0. His sinews weren't all in sync that day unfortunately.
He is a decent player, average in all aspects apart from his kicking game which is above average. No chance he would of gone to a struggling club where his flaws would of been exposed. Good luck to him.
You would think with Rushton on the other side of the bed he would have been content to hang up the boots and spend his days wandering his mansion in a dressing gown....Hef style.
1 bad game 9 years ago and he's a myth?

That's bloody harsh.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 10:09 am

underdog wrote:
Sat 04 Nov, 2017 9:43 am
Fade To Black wrote:
everett8 wrote:
I rate Cronk highly and can't understand any rugby league fan calling him a myth.

Played in 7 grand finals for 4 wins. Played over 300 games and one of the reason QLD & Aust have dominated. Not an imortal but next level down

I would perfer him to retire or play part time for the Storm than for another club.

If he goes to chooks and Pearce leaves then the fallout will outweight his class.

Will miss watching the greatest spine in league history go around week in week out.
The "myth" thing is probably due to the fact that he was a playmaker in the biggest Grand Final slaughter in history...40-0. His sinews weren't all in sync that day unfortunately.
He is a decent player, average in all aspects apart from his kicking game which is above average. No chance he would of gone to a struggling club where his flaws would of been exposed. Good luck to him.
You would think with Rushton on the other side of the bed he would have been content to hang up the boots and spend his days wandering his mansion in a dressing gown....Hef style.

That's bloody harsh.
The only series QLD have lost in over a decade was the one when he went off early in game 1 and missed game 2. Guess that was a coincidence.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 10:51 am

Heard a rumour that Des will be his coach. That would be very cruel to Trent Robinson if true.

Post by 851 » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 12:06 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Sat 04 Nov, 2017 10:51 am
Heard a rumour that Des will be his coach. That would be very cruel to Trent Robinson if true.
Interesting, after watching Robinson pick his side for the prelim, he probably deserves the sack, it was a Sheens cross JT disaster that was never gonna work.
Go hard or go home

Curaeus

Post by Curaeus » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 12:26 pm

No idea whether the Roosters are cheating the cap or not but just imagine the proverbial hitting the fan big time if they start dropping a few games. Old Nick will not be pleased! If for some reason they don't actually win the comp, Robinson will need to start thinking about his next job!

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 12:41 pm

Curly Tiger wrote:
Wed 01 Nov, 2017 11:24 am
This isn’t in any way official in terms of numbers but I’ve approached it from a common sense approach to see if the Roosters ups and downs make sense in light of the increase in the salary cap

Let’s start by assuming that the Roosters were in line with the cap in 2017. If the 2017 Cap was $7.0m and lifts to $9.4m in 2018, everyone has an extra $2.4m to spend which allows for a lot. Those 2017 and 2018 Cap numbers are the key as $2.4m on $7m is a 34% increase. It’s unbelievably difficult to get the 2017 Cap number but maybe that helps create an information gap which allows for some confusion

Roosters have added Cronk and Tedesco, so conservatively +$2.2m, potentially more

Roosters have lost Carter (say only $150k), Evans ($250k), Guerra ($300k), Kenny-Dowall ($250k), Knight ($100k), Watson ($150k), so they save -$1.2m (I’ve guessed these salaries)

But they have to replace four of these (Cronk and Tedesco cover two) so let’s say $200k each +$0.8m

They have resigned the following x10 in the last twelve months: Mitch Cornish (2018), Blake Ferguson (2018), Michael Gordon (2018), Ryan Matterson (2019), Dylan Napa (2019), Mitchell Pearce (2019), Victor Radley (2019), Chris Smith (2018), Daniel Tupou (2021), Sitili Tupouniua (2019)
Unlikely they signed for less, Ferguson aside, so let’s say $50k extra each, some would be more, some less, so that’s an extra +$0.5m

Add all that together and it’s an increase of $2.3m and I reckon I’ve been kind to them but it does fit into the (maybe) cap increase of $2.4m. However, is it really possible that everyone other than the two new big earners are going to accept no increase in an environment where the Cap has increased by 34% (assuming 2017 $7m and 2018 $9.4m is correct). Managers aren’t going to let that happen

If we believe the numbers there are already so many good players under $290k at the Roosters: Matterson $200k Daniel Tupou $220k, Mitchell Aubusson $280k, Isaac Liu $200k, Zane Tetevano $120k, Sio Siua Taukeiaho $150k, Joseph Manu $150k, Nat Butcher $200k, Victor Radley $120k. Surely they’d all be looking for increases or if they resigned lately, surely they already got one which would further eat into the available $

Not sure I’ve solved anything but maybe it’s a start for others to add to
i didnt follow what you said properly but did you take in to consideration that $7M was for 25 players and $9.4 is for 30?
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 8:21 pm

underdog wrote:
Fade To Black wrote:
everett8 wrote:

That's bloody harsh.
I didn't realize that was the only bad game he has ever had. Biggest stage, biggest GF defeat in professional RL history in this country and he was the go-to man that day.
He is a decent player but not quite the inventor of the game as he is made out to be.
Hope he plays for plenty more years......anything to keep him out of the media is a godsend.

dazza65

Post by dazza65 » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 10:13 pm

Plus they are adding the Plane if Pearce and Nikorima go....
----------------------------------------------
Tigers?!? - Driven mad since - 1969-201?

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 10:25 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 04 Nov, 2017 8:21 pm
underdog wrote:
Fade To Black wrote:
everett8 wrote:

That's bloody harsh.
I didn't realize that was the only bad game he has ever had. Biggest stage, biggest GF defeat in professional RL history in this country and he was the go-to man that day.
He is a decent player but not quite the inventor of the game as he is made out to be.
Hope he plays for plenty more years......anything to keep him out of the media is a godsend.
So the Melbourne Storm make that final without Cameron Smith, their captain. Without Adam Blair (from memory that's the year where Glenn faught him and 4 manly guys back Glenn up but only Adam got 3 weeks while Glenn got 2) a lead forward. So we blame the Halfback and not the entire team for collapse. Take Prince and LaFranchi out of our 2005 squad and the Cowboys win by a similar margin. Take Lockyer and Webcke out of the Broncos and same thing happens.

Earl

Post by Earl » Sun 05 Nov, 2017 11:19 am

Curaeus wrote:
Sat 04 Nov, 2017 12:26 pm
No idea whether the Roosters are cheating the cap or not but just imagine the proverbial hitting the fan big time if they start dropping a few games. Old Nick will not be pleased! If for some reason they don't actually win the comp, Robinson will need to start thinking about his next job!
This will be interesting won't it. If they don't win the comp in the next couple of years it's going to be a disaster.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sun 05 Nov, 2017 12:53 pm

Earl wrote:
Sun 05 Nov, 2017 11:19 am
Curaeus wrote:
Sat 04 Nov, 2017 12:26 pm
This will be interesting won't it. If they don't win the comp in the next couple of years it's going to be a disaster.

We can only hope. Would be justice if they didn't imo, and a prime example that greed doesn't pay.