South Africa

Don Kershane

South Africa

Post by Don Kershane » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 8:11 pm

Is there a reason NRL talent scouts don't trawl the Rugby talent pool in South Africa? Surely they aren't all on huge money.Some of those giant forwards could be trained up.NRL clubs are squabbling over a diminishing number of competent big mobile forwards.Does anyone have any idea what entry level Super Rugby players earn? No harm looking outside the square.

nickc

Post by nickc » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi Don. I think it's doable but there's a few barriers there. Body shape for RU props and locks is probably a tough transition. Brad Thorn was one of the shorter locks in his time and the 6,6 plus guys may lack the mobility. Also there is a lot of decent coin in European rugby as well. I think some of their backs, particularly hard running centres could make a good go at second row or centre in league. A guy like Adam Crichton at souths was a 13 in union and it's probably an easier transition than a tight forward in union having a go. Tiaan Strauss had a few years at cronulla many moons ago and did ok coming from the backrow in union so maybe there are a few loose forwards around that could. But how much would a club invest of their cap on a risk? Is 200k enough to entice a decent super rugby player? Probably not. But possibly getting them younger 18 or 19 would be a chance. If they don't make it they can always go back to union like Rocky Elsom did. He was a Canterbury U/21s player out of school.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 8:55 pm

Welcome to the forum, though I was thinking thank you when I noticed the newest member name last week.

No idea on their salaries, nor abilities, but it is certainly thinking outside the box, especially for your first post. Who knows, maybe there is more of a place in the modern game for certain rah rah forwards than the past.

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 9:04 pm

Id go the opposite. Id take the Tigers to have a game against the Toronto Wolfpack. Sprout through the media. Then id play the Tigers against st helens in the usa and look for colkege gridiron dropouts of high quality. Plenty over there. If the game grows there the cost of teaching them our skillset will lessen.

Lidcombe Magpie

Post by Lidcombe Magpie » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 9:18 pm

formerguest wrote:
Wed 25 Oct, 2017 8:55 pm
Welcome to the forum, though I was thinking thank you when I noticed the newest member name last week.

No idea on their salaries, nor abilities, but it is certainly thinking outside the box, especially for your first post. Who knows, maybe there is more of a place in the modern game for certain rah rah forwards than the past.
I have played and watched a lot of rugby over the years, very few successful transitions of rugby forwards to League. Thorn and Ray price spring to mind. Sonny Bill Williams was always a centre but transitioned well as a ball playing forward. Current wallabies like Hooper and Sean McMahon and maybe Jack Dempsey would make it in League but we could never afford them and I doubt they would ever consider a move. While we we are on rugby converts I would not touch Rona either as the guy is very poor defensively and makes many poor decisions in attack as well. If you are looking at rugby convert try Taylor Adams he won the Ken Catchpole Medal this year. Plays for the West Harbour at fly half. He reminds me a lot of Dan Carter and his also a great kick.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 9:35 pm

Didn't sheens bring a couple over?

Forever trying to discover another Noa Nadruku

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 9:46 pm

I'd take Bryan Habana circa 2007 on the wing...

vlad

Post by vlad » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 9:57 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Wed 25 Oct, 2017 9:35 pm

Jarrod Saffy says Hi ;)

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 9:57 pm

I'd be looking at more Fijian Union and 7's outside backs. The Fijian players have made successful transitions and their national competition is of a high standard. I've gone to a couple of games over there.
The Currie Cup in South Africa is a high standard as well but most of them go to Europe for the dollars.
in Ivan we distrust

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 6:30 am

innsaneink wrote:

Brought a couple of Russians too.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 7:30 am

Michael Cleary, Russell Fairfax, Michael O'connor, Ryan Cross, Ray Price, John Brass, Steven Knight, Rex Mossop there must be a lot more.
It's a lot easier for the backs to transition to league than a forward.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 9:56 am

bathursttiger wrote:
Thu 26 Oct, 2017 7:30 am
Michael Cleary, Russell Fairfax, Michael O'connor, Ryan Cross, Ray Price, John Brass, Steven Knight, Rex Mossop there must be a lot more.
It's a lot easier for the backs to transition to league than a forward.
in recent times it's been more of a case of League Backs going to Union.
in Ivan we distrust

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 6:28 pm

There were quite a few who made the transition successfully -

Dally Messenger, Kevin Ryan, Jonathan Davies, George Fairbairn, d*** Thornett, Daryl Halligan, Jimmy Lisle, Scott Gourley and Tony Melrose are a few more names you can add to the list.

Lidcombe Magpie

Post by Lidcombe Magpie » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 7:19 pm

Russell wrote:
Thu 26 Oct, 2017 6:28 pm

Dally Messenger, Kevin Ryan, Jonathan Davies, George Fairbairn, d*** Thornett, Daryl Halligan, Jimmy Lisle, Scott Gourley and Tony Melrose are a few more names you can add to the list.
Geez you forgot Mike Cleary and Arthur Summons (Captained Australia in League and Union I think)

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 9:52 pm

I am guessing there's enough potential cattle in ANZ and Pacific rugby to take care of the cross-code investigations.

No offence to Saffers but very few of them have any genuine exposure to League, whereas many Aussies and North Islanders would have played both league and union as kids.

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 10:06 am

Lidcombe Magpie wrote:
Thu 26 Oct, 2017 7:19 pm
Russell wrote:
Thu 26 Oct, 2017 6:28 pm

Geez you forgot Mike Cleary and Arthur Summons (Captained Australia in League and Union I think)
Yes forgot Arthur Summons LM but didn't forget Michelle (he was mentioned in Bathurst Tiger's post before mine).

The thing is that for everyone of these guys that made a good fist of it - there were stacks and stacks of failures.

kevinmcguiness

Post by kevinmcguiness » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 11:19 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 26 Oct, 2017 6:30 am
innsaneink wrote:

Brought a couple of Russians too.
reminds me of a poor mans grep popovich from the spurs

ed612313

Post by ed612313 » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 10:21 pm

your an idiot.... What private school do you go to? Newington?
Its been done and failed miserably.
Joost van der westhuizen was a great Union player and at his peak (slightly after) was brought to the tigers many years ago to train.... He failed miserably. Like the vast majority of solidified Union professionals. Was too slow laterally, couldn't defend, inaccurate pass, slow clearance, not fit enough..... He failed in training in every way and was sent back to SA before being offered a contract.