Sat 11 Nov, 2017 9:33 pm
WestsBenTigers wrote:
Sat 11 Nov, 2017 8:59 pm
851 wrote:
Sat 11 Nov, 2017 8:57 pm

Hoppa at 1 has better form than Tui
Foran is better than Reynolds
Mbye and Brooks a dead heat
Liccha without Des's boring game plan is better than Liddle.
So not a great argument
You have got to be kidding

Are you a dogs supporter or an anti-tigers supporter
Tell me where I am wrong, and I have supported wests/weststigers for almost 50 years
Hoppa's a ball-player and Tui's a ball-runner so, they're a little difficult to compare.

Foran was better than Reynolds but, over the past couple of years Foran has been very ordinary.

Mbye is the worst half in the comp. I'd have Brooks between 10-7 of all halfbacks in the comp.

Lichaa is the most unfit hooker I've seen for awhile. Farah is 10 years older and doing Lichaa's job for him as well as his own. He's also only had 1 good game in the last 3 years.
Watch Lichaa flourish under Dean Pay , when a coach takes away a players possible options they become very one dimensional , Lichaa will get his running game back and he'll meet his early career raps in my opinion

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 11:19 am

happy tiger wrote:
Sun 12 Nov, 2017 11:16 am
Tacky wrote:
Sat 11 Nov, 2017 9:45 pm
851 wrote:
WestsBenTigers wrote:
Sat 11 Nov, 2017 8:59 pm

You have got to be kidding

Are you a dogs supporter or an anti-tigers supporter
Tell me where I am wrong, and I have supported wests/weststigers for almost 50 years
Hoppa's a ball-player and Tui's a ball-runner so, they're a little difficult to compare.

Foran was better than Reynolds but, over the past couple of years Foran has been very ordinary.

Mbye is the worst half in the comp. I'd have Brooks between 10-7 of all halfbacks in the comp.

Lichaa is the most unfit hooker I've seen for awhile. Farah is 10 years older and doing Lichaa's job for him as well as his own. He's also only had 1 good game in the last 3 years.
Watch Lichaa flourish under Dean Pay , when a coach takes away a players possible options they become very one dimensional , Lichaa will get his running game back and he'll meet his early career raps in my opinion
You can say the same for Reynolds

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 11:29 am

851 wrote:
Sat 11 Nov, 2017 9:37 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 11 Nov, 2017 9:03 pm
851 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 11 Nov, 2017 7:24 pm

And some say our spine looks bad.
So not a great argument
Hoppa is the most ineffective fullback in the comp. When was the last time he broke the line?
His form at 1 is pretty good, Tui is unproven at 1, there were plenty on here wanting us to sign Hoppa. Whilst I think he is no star at the back, he has the runs on the board, Tui is still to prove his form at 1.
I wanted us to sign Hoppa but it was as a centre, not a fullback. Lolohea is not unproven at fullback, he played the best football of his career at fullback for the Warriors in 2015.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 11:35 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 12 Nov, 2017 11:19 am
happy tiger wrote:
Tacky wrote:
851 wrote:

I'm not sure what part of Reynolds game he had to shelve though , he has always a 100% toiler and you know he will show up for every play at 100 % and is great support player but I would never have said he is a player that could control a game or be a No 1 playmaker /creative player

If we had a Cronk ,DCE , Johnson Pierce etc he is a good foil , but we don't unless Cleary Junior is on his way in 2019

And speaking about that , if people can't see the main reason that Penrith let Moylan go was to try and keep Cleary at all costs they have rocks in their head

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 11:40 am

happy tiger wrote:
Sun 12 Nov, 2017 11:35 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
Tacky wrote:

I'm not sure what part of Reynolds game he had to shelve though , he has always a 100% toiler and you know he will show up for every play at 100 % and is great support player but I would never have said he is a player that could control a game or be a No 1 playmaker /creative player

If we had a Cronk ,DCE , Johnson Pierce etc he is a good foil , but we don't unless Cleary Junior is on his way in 2019

And speaking about that , if people can't see the main reason that Penrith let Moylan go was to try and keep Cleary at all costs they have rocks in their head
I think it's naive to think Cleary coming here is a forgone conclusion. Wouldn't surprise me if Gus looks to wrap him up sometime through 2018.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 11:41 am

happy tiger wrote:
add Mbye to that scenario too under Dean Pay. Dessie virtually killed him with his obsession of creating the 'next toovey'.

I'm expecting Canterbury to be a better 'team' in 2018 with each individual doing their jobs.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 11:42 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 12 Nov, 2017 11:40 am
happy tiger wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

I think it's naive to think Cleary coming here is a forgone conclusion. Wouldn't surprise me if Gus looks to wrap him up sometime through 2018.
I suppose my point is this GNR's , we have purchased some good players , but they are only good if they have the right players around them and that is my problem

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 11:50 am

happy tiger wrote:

I don't really think that follows. They turned around and signed Maloney on similar money to what Moylan was taking up so that hasn't freed up coin for Cleary. Seems like there were lots of reasons for letting Moylan go. He'd clearly had some kind of falling out with Griffin, hence not playing the back end of the season. He had limited experience as a 5/8, which is where they were going to have to play him following the emergence of Edwards, so they probably didn't particularly want an inexperienced halves pairing when they had the option of a seasoned pro and proven premiership winner in Maloney. He also looks like a flog and they probably didn't want to see his smug head around the club anymore. All valid reasons...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 12:07 pm

Nelson wrote:
Sun 12 Nov, 2017 11:50 am
happy tiger wrote:

I don't really think that follows. They turned around and signed Maloney on similar money to what Moylan was taking up so that hasn't freed up coin for Cleary. Seems like there were lots of reasons for letting Moylan go. He'd clearly had some kind of falling out with Griffin, hence not playing the back end of the season. He had limited experience as a 5/8, which is where they were going to have to play him following the emergence of Edwards, so they probably didn't particularly want an inexperienced halves pairing when they had the option of a seasoned pro and proven premiership winner in Maloney. He also looks like a flog and they probably didn't want to see his smug head around the club anymore. All valid reasons...
Yes Cleary will learn a lot from Maloney , but Maloney is in the last 2 seasons of his career whereas Moylan is just beginning and they have to choose where their time and effort was going to go in the future , they have obviously chosen Cleary (and rightly so )

Any club looking at Cleary will want him to be their star playmaker for the money he will demand at the end of this contract

I think Josh Reynolds will be a good foil for Cleary

I know many think I'm bagging on the WT's , we are just 2-3 players from being a really competitive outfit , but with our current personnel we aren't just there yet

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 12:16 pm

Think most would agree we are still a couple players short of being a genuine threat, however given our 3 best players walked out on us, I don't think we could have done much better in assembling the squad we have for next season.

junior05

Post by junior05 » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 12:22 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sun 12 Nov, 2017 12:07 pm
Nelson wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Yes Cleary will learn a lot from Maloney , but Maloney is in the last 2 seasons of his career whereas Moylan is just beginning and they have to choose where their time and effort was going to go in the future , they have obviously chosen Cleary (and rightly so )

Any club looking at Cleary will want him to be their star playmaker for the money he will demand at the end of this contract

I know many think I'm bagging on the WT's , we are just 2-3 players from being a really competitive outfit , but with our current personnel we aren't just there yet
Hi Happy
Which 2-3 players do you think we need, to go to the next level

The Queen

Post by The Queen » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 12:33 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 12 Nov, 2017 11:02 am
bp tiger wrote:
Sun 12 Nov, 2017 10:35 am
Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 12 Nov, 2017 9:05 am
We tend to overreact to everything. Tui takes an intercept and he’s going to be the answer to all our problems. Fonua misses one tackle and he’s a dud. I for one am excited about our roster - it looks solid. I’m sure we will be better than before. Will we make the 8? I don’t know. Potentially we can - but so can everyone else.
fonua was excellent last night , he is a gun and will be for us. still think we need a gun backrower, nothing on our roster fills that role. really liked the look of sika manu for tonga, i know is is over 30 but for 1 year would fill a hole.

Fonua, Milne, Packer etc - we're certainly gonna have some hard running, hard to bring down players in our team next season and that is very exciting. Milne has a touch of class about him as well, imo.

On Tui, I just want to see what he can do at the back, but every time I've seen him play he is bumbling around in the halves! He is an unknown element as a fullback, so it's hard to judge on his performances at 5/8, but I'm hoping he is much more suited to the custodian role and absolutely kills it there.
I have seen him play fullback a dozen or so times does some brilliant things I am a fan but the problem I have with him when watching him is he does not seem to talk enough maybe watching Tedesco this year he mite have learned he needs to talk at the back attacking great just some work on the Defense and help setting the line
Maybe Brett Hodgson can fix that

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 12:39 pm

junior05 wrote:
Sun 12 Nov, 2017 12:22 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Nelson wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Hi Happy
Well we need to replace Brooks if he doesn't step up this year and show some real consistency ,obvious candidate would be Cleary , but obvious there aren't any guarantees he would come or Ivan Cleary would want to put that sort of pressure on him

Back rower with some punch , ball play a bit and a good hole runner in the red zone is definitely a massive requirement Wade Graham /Cordner /Gillett style of player

Next one would be an either or

9 or 1 depending on how both go , Liddle /McIllwrick may not be the answer , only time will tell

Same with Lolohea , he might be the answer but he lacks the true speed you want from a No 1 and isn't a great ball player

Hard when you are comparing him to our last fullback , but in the modern game you probably need 2-3 quality players in your spine with some good players that compliment those players

We have purchased some good players , but I'm not sure they compliment each other

If you look at the side that Cleary had at the warriors they were very different from this side we have

Yes times change , but the same dynamics still apply

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 1:25 pm

851 wrote:
Sat 11 Nov, 2017 10:01 pm
TYGA wrote:
Sat 11 Nov, 2017 9:51 pm
851 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 11 Nov, 2017 7:24 pm

And some say our spine looks bad.
So not a great argument
I think we have a much better squad and depth than the Dogs. The Bulldogs have lost key players which may hurt them Kasiano, Graham, Reynolds. In my view Kasiano and Graham > Woods. Foran is a huge risk hasn’t been quality for 3 years now. He has more class than Reynolds but is high risk player given injuries, off field dramas. Also would be dirty Hassler was used to buy him and then dumped.
I agree our squad is better than the dogs, I don't think our spine is any better, potentially yes it is, but games are not won on potential
Our season will come down to three players Liddle, Brooks, Tui. Can Liddle go to the next level and be a solid first grader? will Reynolds help Brooks reach his potential and will Tui grab the number 1 + be an electric ball returner and chime in with attack.

You are right potentially they can we’ll see next year.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 2:15 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sun 12 Nov, 2017 12:39 pm
junior05 wrote:
Sun 12 Nov, 2017 12:22 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Hi Happy
Well we need to replace Brooks if he doesn't step up this year and show some real consistency ,obvious candidate would be Cleary , but obvious there aren't any guarantees he would come or Ivan Cleary would want to put that sort of pressure on him

Back rower with some punch , ball play a bit and a good hole runner in the red zone is definitely a massive requirement Wade Graham /Cordner /Gillett style of player

Next one would be an either or

9 or 1 depending on how both go , Liddle /McIllwrick may not be the answer , only time will tell

Same with Lolohea , he might be the answer but he lacks the true speed you want from a No 1 and isn't a great ball player

Hard when you are comparing him to our last fullback , but in the modern game you probably need 2-3 quality players in your spine with some good players that compliment those players

We have purchased some good players , but I'm not sure they compliment each other

If you look at the side that Cleary had at the warriors they were very different from this side we have

Yes times change , but the same dynamics still apply
The best available spine options for 2019 (for us at this point in time) are:
1. Michael Morgan (massive upgrade on Brooks)
2. Josh Hodgson (depending on early season form a massive upgrade at hooker who adds a lot of ball playing)
3. Roger Tuivasa-Scheck (just a gun player that would make any team better)

For 2nd row we'll just need to snare an up and comer like Souths managed to do with Crichton. We will not realistically compete for the best available 2nd rowers, which in 2019 will be: Cordner, Crichton, Lowe and Papalii (I wouldn't throw money at Papalii anyway, he's starting to play like the lump he resembles...) I imagine that's why we targeted a few 2nd rowers for our development roster.

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 2:52 pm

Nelson wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

I'd be surprised if Griffin is still coach of the Panthers in 2019.
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.