Nathan Cleary

sideline eye

Re: Father and son broncos or roosters

Post by sideline eye » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 3:35 pm

Oh my god! There is a rumour that Ivan and Nathan might end up at another club?? Run for the hills!

On the other hand, whatever happens, we will still have a coach.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 3:37 pm

There’s a bit of intrigue in the choice of words in this article straight from the horses mouth...
Apologies for the extra content, it’s really hard to edit on a phone.

I owe the Panthers a lot’: Nathan Cleary insists he’ll be staying put out of loyalty to the club that blooded him so early
PANTHERS
July 6, 2018 2:33pm
Source: AAP

NATHAN Cleary has admitted his desire to be coached by dad Ivan is very real after the pair were linked to Brisbane as a playmaker-coach package deal.

In NSW Origin camp on Friday, Nathan laughed off a report that he and Wests Tigers coach Ivan were packing their bags for the glamour Queensland NRL club.

The 20-year-old NSW playmaker is off contract with Penrith at the end of next year and will be able to field offers from rival clubs from November 1.

Ivan is contracted with the Wests Tigers until the end of 2020.

The Broncos have reportedly sounded out the pair as they look ahead to life after super coach Wayne Bennett, who is contemplating retirement at the end of next year.

As well, Nathan could prove the solution to their playmaking conundrum with Anthony Milford failing to consistently deliver on his marquee pay packet.

Nathan denied any knowledge of the move but said he wanted to team up with his father at some point.

“We’ve bounced off each other and come to the conclusion that we would like to do it in the future, it would be nice,” Nathan said.

Cleary wants to be with DadCleary wants to be with Dad1:23

“We’ve both said it has to be at the right time and at the right place, who knows when that will be. A year is a long time in footy, a week is a long time in footy.

“We’ll just have to wait ‘til the end of the year and I can make my decision then.”

Cleary said he owed a debt of gratitude to the Panthers and that would weigh on his mind come contract time.

“I owe the Panthers a lot,” he continued.

“They’ve been really good to me and I’ve been really grateful for them for taking a chance on me as an 18-year-old to debut me, I’ll be forever grateful for that.

“I’ve just got to keep working hard and I’ve still got a long way to go this year. Hopefully we can go deep into the finals.”

magpiesteve

Post by magpiesteve » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 4:02 pm

Add Penrith to the possible suitors also. I reckon Gould is trying to destabilize Griffin to open the door for Ivan to join Nathan at the Panthers.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 4:04 pm

Gould crapped on Ivan, why would he go back...
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 4:11 pm

I honestly don’t know how most of you sleep at night worrying about what may or may not happen.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 4:17 pm

hobbo wrote:
Fri 06 Jul, 2018 11:21 am
foreveratiger wrote:
Fri 06 Jul, 2018 10:36 am
Who cares if it does really!!!!

It's not as if we are deeply entrenched in the Top 4 or something.

Really Ivan is responsible for some crap signings so really it is what it is , If he can get mega bucks as a package deal with his son good on him cause he would be silly not to maximise this opportunity.

Anyway it's not as if Ivan has Wests Tigers in his veins , i'd be happy to give Brett Hodgson a crack .
#farahforcoach
He was for about 5 years and the results were crap. He would be confused trying to white ant and get rid of himself

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 4:36 pm

hobbo wrote:
Fri 06 Jul, 2018 11:21 am
foreveratiger wrote:
Fri 06 Jul, 2018 10:36 am
Who cares if it does really!!!!

It's not as if we are deeply entrenched in the Top 4 or something.

Really Ivan is responsible for some crap signings so really it is what it is , If he can get mega bucks as a package deal with his son good on him cause he would be silly not to maximise this opportunity.

Anyway it's not as if Ivan has Wests Tigers in his veins , i'd be happy to give Brett Hodgson a crack .
#farahforcoach
Yep has the runs on the board.Lol :)

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 4:39 pm

cqtiger wrote:
Fri 06 Jul, 2018 4:11 pm
I honestly don’t know how most of you sleep at night worrying about what may or may not happen.
They don't sleep and obviously don't read while they are not sleeping.

They are becoming unhinged.

:crazy :crazy

dazza65

Post by dazza65 » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 4:41 pm

Taken with a grain of salt at the moment so far out.....
Roosters are linked with every player and coach who either hits form or hits the market - Bronoc's not far behind and with the whole Bennett/Bellamy kerfuffle recently its to be expected
If I was being very analytical about it and not looking at it through jaded, success hungry Tigers eyes, I would say Cleary Snr hasn't really proven himself and set the world on fire at WT so either destination is really after Jnr and will take Snr as a package deal - i hope this is the case as Snr will see it for what it is and with a nice little addition from Mr Meriton, we'll snag both (the big if is whether Jnr REALLY wants to be coached by Snr?!?!)
----------------------------------------------
Tigers?!? - Driven mad since - 1969-201?

palms

Post by palms » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 5:16 pm

Father Ivan still has a contract for 2020 does he not? I'd hazard a guess and say the he wouldn't be at the dinner table telling Nathan not to come to the Tigers because he can't produce success and not sign any big names. He would essentially be undermining his own ability and name to his son, which in turn would drive Nathan away. Not very professional or something you would expect from Ivan.

On the other hand perhaps Nathan is privy to some potentially big signings and is eyeing off a big push for a fairytale gf which would make him by far the richest player in the comp at 24yrs old??

ALL hypotheticals... Let's see how it plays out ay.

underdog

Post by underdog » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 5:19 pm

So Farah Returns....

and the coach is being linked elsewhere, with his son.

Where have I heard this before..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Co-incidence?

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 5:43 pm

I didn't think any club could approach Nathan until November!

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 6:01 pm

underdog wrote:
Fri 06 Jul, 2018 5:19 pm
So Farah Returns....

and the coach is being linked elsewhere, with his son.

Where have I heard this before..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Co-incidence?
Arrghh you beat me to it.

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 6:03 pm

If we get Nathan jnr it will be our first father-son combo since Sheens and Fitzy :)

Balmainbred
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Balmainbred » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 6:18 pm

Why have Pascoe or the board not responded to this. I’d stated in another thread that maybe Robbie would get him the punt.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 6:31 pm

Think about it from Cleary's perspective.

He signed some slow plodders here for the next 3 years, we have poor facilities and have not made finals in 7 years. If the Roosters and Broncos come in and offer him good money with his son then I doubt he will stick around. Knows those rosters will be strong for years to come.

Wouldn't surprise me if he bolted in 18 months if were trudging along in the Bottom 4-6. Wouldn't make him too popular here but its not like he is a Tigers man in his history.

Post by 851 » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 6:59 pm

Eddie wrote:
Fri 06 Jul, 2018 6:31 pm
Think about it from Cleary's perspective.

He signed some slow plodders here for the next 3 years, we have poor facilities and have not made finals in 7 years. If the Roosters and Broncos come in and offer him good money with his son then I doubt he will stick around. Knows those rosters will be strong for years to come.

Wouldn't surprise me if he bolted in 18 months if were trudging along in the Bottom 4-6. Wouldn't make him too popular here but its not like he is a Tigers man in his history.
He was a Tigers fan growing up
Go hard or go home

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 7:06 pm

Where’s Smoking Gun when we need him. He’ll show us the way.