Nathan Cleary

momo&medo

Re: Nathan Cleary

Post by momo&medo » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 8:57 am

Masterton wrote:
Sat 15 Sep, 2018 8:46 am
The Patriot wrote:
Sat 15 Sep, 2018 7:21 am
Late in the game he kept trying to take on the forward, running fast and straight. It was a very good sign. Players that arent up to it run sideways and go away from their game.
Had as many runs as anyone in his pack. Kept bossing his forwards where he wanted them. That's what we need. Someone who won't give up even when the game looks lost.
Yep he is much more in your face organiser than Brooks will ever be.
Don’t get me wrong ..... I like Brooks as a running half.
I think Cleary is a 5/8 in Fittler mould in making.
If we can get him we should not hesitate. It would mean a great young tough half’s combo with a good coach to build a team around.
Reynolds gets shopped around or off to England after next season. Or retain him as a utility for remainder of his contract.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 8:57 am

Geo. wrote:
Sat 15 Sep, 2018 12:38 am
Spud Murphy wrote:
Fri 14 Sep, 2018 10:20 pm
tiger05premier wrote:
Fri 14 Sep, 2018 10:10 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Fri 14 Sep, 2018 9:54 pm

Yep...me too....NC isnt what we need...we need powerful forwards and speeeeed out wide
We do need some powerful forwards

And NC? Maybe, maybe not

I'm just a bit worried though with some rumours of late that now the panthers are out we may name Merrin or Tamau as signings

I don'tthink they are the forwards we need

Kikau yes but that's not going to happen
Kikau and David Fifita in the second row would be a dream! However, at this stage I'd settle for Tamou up front and Hetherington in the backrow, alongside Matterson to bolster our pack.

Poor Rowdy .. :(
Ok Rowdy and Matterson in the second row and Hetherington off the bench for impact - that better? I think so :mrgreen: We have to find a better lock than Taylor too I reckon.

Roar Power

Post by Roar Power » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 10:05 am

momo&medo wrote:
Sat 15 Sep, 2018 8:57 am
Masterton wrote:
Sat 15 Sep, 2018 8:46 am
The Patriot wrote:
Sat 15 Sep, 2018 7:21 am
Late in the game he kept trying to take on the forward, running fast and straight. It was a very good sign. Players that arent up to it run sideways and go away from their game.
Had as many runs as anyone in his pack. Kept bossing his forwards where he wanted them. That's what we need. Someone who won't give up even when the game looks lost.
Yep he is much more in your face organiser than Brooks will ever be.
Don’t get me wrong ..... I like Brooks as a running half.
I think Cleary is a 5/8 in Fittler mould in making.
If we can get him we should not hesitate. It would mean a great young tough half’s combo with a good coach to build a team around.
Reynolds gets shopped around or off to England after next season. Or retain him as a utility for remainder of his contract.
Most expensive utility in the NRL

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 10:28 am

Penrith last night great pack of forwards , so where were there halves last night ... but wait Brooks will shine with a better forward pack .., pigs might fly!

Post by 851 » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 10:32 am

tigerbenji wrote:
Sat 15 Sep, 2018 7:19 am
I agree hank, Maloney did nothing, Nathan was the one who got the Panthers back into the game.
You 2 are spot on, without Cleary penrith would have been beaten comfortably, it was Maloney who went missing
Go hard or go home

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 11:27 am

DONT AGREE, thought maloney was terrible, and cleary was very average, he is way short of been worth 800,000 to a 1,000,000 player.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 11:29 am

They dont play too well together.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 11:35 am

Cleary was the difference in getting the Panthers back in the game.
The panthers have been going to Maloney in most of the games, Cleary has been taking a back seat, it was noticeable in the game. I’m not sure what the catalyst was but there was a point where he said stuff Maloney his off his game today I’m taking control of this team. Actually it may have been once May came into hooker, he was always looking to get the ball to Cleary as his first choice and then the team just started building off his energy.
Brooks has been in a similar situation all year with Marshall.

In my opinion, Cleary is very much a Trent Barrett, Mitchell Pearce mould.
Brooks is more like Hunt and Townsend. But the obvious thing is they are all halfbacks and need running half’s with ball playing skill to complement.
Having another organiser alongside them stunts their game.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 1:14 pm

Needaname wrote:
Sat 15 Sep, 2018 11:35 am
The panthers have been going to Maloney in most of the games, Cleary has been taking a back seat, it was noticeable in the game. I’m not sure what the catalyst was but there was a point where he said stuff Maloney his off his game today I’m taking control of this team. Actually it may have been once May came into hooker, he was always looking to get the ball to Cleary as his first choice and then the team just started building off his energy.

Brooks is more like Hunt and Townsend. But the obvious thing is they are all halfbacks and need running half’s with ball playing skill to complement.
Trent Barrett was a runner of the ball and was big for a half, big enough to slot into the centres for Illawarra. Cleary does not possess the running game of Barrett, Pearce or Brooks. He Is an organiser but I would have preferred Brooks over Cleary in that situation looking for a field goal.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 1:19 pm

I still think NC is a long-term quality HB option, who kicks goals well. Maybe not a $1M price tag, but it's possible you get that value in another year or two.

The major issue when it comes to halves in 2018 is there is little attacking flair - they are mostly all plodding organisers, or they are rubbish. The Chad is in a bit of a purple patch but he has the fortune of very skillful options inside and out.

In theory having NC on the books would allow Brooks to focus on attack and running, instead of always being lobbed with the responsibility to take most kicks and do most of the directing around the park. Brooks is more like a Moylan or a Milford than a Cleary or Townsend.

So if they get NC over, great, if not, so be it. We do already have Reynolds, so not as if we are without options in 2019.

Furious1

Post by Furious1 » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 1:57 pm

Lauren wrote:
Fri 14 Sep, 2018 10:15 pm
Don’t watch channel 9 and fox always goes straight to Ennis and co., but saw this online. I know it was annoying all the Ivan and Nathan speculation but this pretty much pulls at the heartstrings

"Don't worry son, i'll be here with you next year"

Seriously, i wonder whether it will be this week or next that Ivan requests his release on "compassionate" grounds.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 2:28 pm

Furious1 wrote:
Sat 15 Sep, 2018 1:57 pm
Lauren wrote:
Fri 14 Sep, 2018 10:15 pm
Don’t watch channel 9 and fox always goes straight to Ennis and co., but saw this online. I know it was annoying all the Ivan and Nathan speculation but this pretty much pulls at the heartstrings

"Don't worry son, i'll be here with you next year"

Seriously, i wonder whether it will be this week or next that Ivan requests his release on "compassionate" grounds.
How is that old bone you have?

yeti

Post by yeti » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 2:43 pm

I don't think Cleary is fit either. He was definitely favouring that leg when he was chasing down the righty flank after a Panthers kick off.
Maloney was terrible.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 2:57 pm

yeti wrote:
Sat 15 Sep, 2018 2:43 pm
I don't think Cleary is fit either. He was definitely favouring that leg when he was chasing down the righty flank after a Panthers kick off.
Maloney was terrible.
There was an article in june saying his knee is bothering him.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 4:02 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sat 15 Sep, 2018 1:14 pm
Needaname wrote:

Trent Barrett was a runner of the ball and was big for a half, big enough to slot into the centres for Illawarra. Cleary does not possess the running game of Barrett, Pearce or Brooks. He Is an organiser but I would have preferred Brooks over Cleary in that situation looking for a field goal.
I respect your opinion always paws as your one of the more informative posters however I’m surprised you along with others don’t think Cleary has a running game. It’s on the back of his running that he puts the team in an attacking position.
Brooks running game comes to the fore when we are making meters up the middle or down the left edge.
It’s rare to see Brooks create anything by running from 20 out the running he does do is to square up the defence for the pass but running in traffic not often. Cleary on the other hand creates a lot from running in the red zone and does this quite frequently.
Brooks is quicker than Cleary but that doesn’t mean Cleary can’t find space when he runs either.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 4:27 pm

Needaname wrote:
Sat 15 Sep, 2018 4:02 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Needaname wrote:

I respect your opinion always paws as your one of the more informative posters however I’m surprised you along with others don’t think Cleary has a running game. It’s on the back of his running that he puts the team in an attacking position.
Brooks running game comes to the fore when we are making meters up the middle or down the left edge.
It’s rare to see Brooks create anything by running from 20 out the running he does do is to square up the defence for the pass but running in traffic not often. Cleary on the other hand creates a lot from running in the red zone and does this quite frequently.
Brooks is quicker than Cleary but that doesn’t mean Cleary can’t find space when he runs either.
Good post. I should have stated clearly that my comment relates to pace. Cleary does run and he does create more than Brooks with his passing into space. Brooks on the other hand (perhaps due to our limited attacking options) is more threatening with his running because he does have that blinding pace to get on the outside and then go on with it.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 4:54 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sat 15 Sep, 2018 4:27 pm
Needaname wrote:
Sat 15 Sep, 2018 4:02 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Needaname wrote:

Good post. I should have stated clearly that my comment relates to pace. Cleary does run and he does create more than Brooks with his passing into space. Brooks on the other hand (perhaps due to our limited attacking options) is more threatening with his running because he does have that blinding pace to get on the outside and then go on with it.
Fair call. Brooks can get outside an opposite player with speed and he didn’t have a lot of options when that did happen other than Lawrence. So it is safe to say that’s probable. Well we’ll see how it all plays out I guess.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 5:06 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Sat 15 Sep, 2018 2:57 pm
yeti wrote:
Sat 15 Sep, 2018 2:43 pm
Maloney was terrible.
There was an article in june saying his knee is bothering him.
Neither of them were fit. Par for the course for many players at this stage of the year. However, Maloney couldn't even move his neck after last weeks game, how bad would that be? No wonder he had a shocker last night.