Nathan Cleary

Steve k
Member
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri 21 Apr, 2017 10:04 am

Re: Nathan Cleary

Post by Steve k » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 6:11 pm

There is no way nathan is worth anywhere near a million overated bigtime.


User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1988
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 6:32 pm

Nathan Cleary faded badly this year but he’s only 20 for crying out loud!!! He will come back better next season for sure. Maybe not a million dollar player yet but will be soon.

PS: I read on here that Moses is getting $800K. Now that’s ridiculous. Not worth $300K.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

tigerap
Member
Member
Posts: 2365
Joined: Tue 06 Oct, 2015 10:08 pm

Post by tigerap » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 10:20 pm

More than once NC has all but said he wants to stay at Penriff....so he will sign a long term deal with them in November and put yr house on IC being their Coach in 2021...

User avatar
vlad
Member
Member
Posts: 925
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 7:56 pm

Post by vlad » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 10:28 pm

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 42728c5469

Nathan Cleary aims to finalise his future at Penrith quickly - and calls on club to name their next coach

MATT LOGUE, The Sunday Telegraph

September 15, 2018 5:04pm

Nathan Cleary hopes to finalise his future at Penrith in the coming weeks, saying he doesn’t want talks to prolong over the summer.

Cleary had originally set a November 1 date to discuss his contract at the Panthers beyond the 2019 season.

But after bowing out of the competition against Cronulla on Friday night, the rising No. 7 says he wants to move promptly on his next deal.

I don’t want it to drag out,” Cleary said.

“I’ll have a couple of good days with the boys and do reviews and after that I’ll get down to talks and sort it out as quickly as possible.

“With that comes all the speculation and there is a lot of rubbish.

“If we can get it done as quickly as possible, I’ll be happy with that.”

In an ideal world Cleary will wait for Penrith to confirm a head coach for 2019 before making a decision on his own future.

“That would be nice, but I can’t really rely on that,” he said. “I’ve just got to focus on what I want to do and go from there.”

The Panthers are yet to confirm the club’s stance on the coaching position moving forward but Cleary has one man in mind.

He says he is the player see today because of caretaker Cameron Ciraldo and he’d like to see him handed the head coaching job next season.

Cleary has worked closely with Ciraldo dating back to his under 20s days and believes he is the coach to take the Panthers to the next level.

“I think everyone respects him and really likes him as a coach,” he said.

“In the last three weeks we’ve shown a lot of improvement and it is a credit to him.

“I’ve always loved playing under Siro. He has kind of turned me into the player I am today.

“He has shown a lot of faith in me.

“He has also taught me a lot of things along the way and he has always backed my ability.

“He helped me through the 20s and over the last year or two while he has been in and around first grade.

“I owe a lot of my achievements to him.”

______

AnnandaleTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri 31 Mar, 2017 9:49 am

Post by AnnandaleTiger » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 11:00 pm

They are the 11 words from superstar halfback Nathan Cleary that will lift the spirits of shattered Penrith fans.

"It will be very, very hard to walk away after this," Cleary told Fairfax Media after Friday night's heartbreaking loss to Cronulla. "It's started a fire in the belly. We'll see what happens and go from there."

While the Panthers are out of the finals race following the 21-20 loss, the immediate focus will turn to locking up Cleary long term.

Cleary becomes a free agent on November 1, but the Panthers are keen to throw him a lucrative deal of up to five years, which will keep him at the foot of the mountains until the end of 2024.

It will then be a matter of when, not if, his famous father, Ivan, returns to the club as coach. Hopes of a reunion next year appear unlikely.

Just what Cleary will do once his existing deal expires at the end of next year was a storyline the halfback found impossible to escape all year, which is why he will not let it drag on again during the coming months.

A decision is likely to be reached well before his 21st birthday in November, which was seen as the unofficial deadline.

"I'm heading over to Bali and Thailand, I'll relax and get away from footy for a bit," Cleary said. "I'm going with family and then some school mates.

"I want to get this done as quickly as possible. There will be a lot of speculation and I don't want that.

"I'll have a good couple of days with the boys now, get through our reviews, then I'm happy to get straight into [negotiations].

"In the next week or so I'll start talks and hopefully get it wrapped up.''

Penrith are aware rival clubs will move quickly if Cleary becomes a free agent from November 1, hence their own eagerness to thrash out a long-term deal. They have already created a war chest by freeing up some space by releasing the likes of Tyrone Peachey to the Gold Coast and now Corey Harawira-Naera to the Bulldogs

The sweetener would be Ivan leaving Wests Tigers to eventually fulfil the family wish of being at the same club as Nathan.

A reminder of how close the pair are – and what gentle souls they are – was there to be seen at full-time at Allianz Stadium when they consoled each other.

"I was being a sook and had a cry on his shoulder,'' Nathan said.

"I couldn't hold it in when I saw mum and dad. They didn't say much and just told me how proud they were. They've always been so supportive of me.

I'm lucky to have those two as my parents.

"That was the first time I've cried after a game. I felt like I let the team down.

"It was really disappointing. To fight back the way we did, it's heartbreaking.

"It's been a pleasure to play with this team, especially to do what we did in the second half [fight back]. There are not many teams who can do it. And we've done it all year. It shows a lot of character.

"I think with this experience, everyone will be better for it next year. The way we lost tonight, it will give us a lot more hunger to come back bigger and better next year.''

Cleary suffered a knee injury in round three, returned to play in his first – and winning – Origin series with NSW, while his combination with James Maloney continually improved.

The Panthers, who bombed out in the second week of the finals for a third straight year, lose Peachey, Harawira-Naera and Christian Crichton, but also back fullback Dylan Edwards.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it-wil ... 503zi.html


User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1988
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 11:36 pm

Game, set, match. Shut the thread. He is young and mates mean everything- he will re-sign with Panthers for sure.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29647
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 12:31 am

Why shut a thread can't players from other clubs be discussed. ..?
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

Donald Trump
Member
Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue 15 Nov, 2016 5:28 pm

Post by Donald Trump » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 7:22 am

Nathan Cleary is good but not worth the supposed price tag required for him and his chin.

Stay with Brooks and get some bigger forwards to keep the roll going forward.
Let's make the Tigers great again!

User avatar
fibrodreaming
Member
Member
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon 28 Mar, 2011 4:36 pm

Post by fibrodreaming » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 7:47 am

Donald Trump wrote:
Sun 16 Sep, 2018 7:22 am
Nathan Cleary is good but not worth the supposed price tag required for him and his chin.

Stay with Brooks and get some bigger forwards to keep the roll going forward.
Agreed. This is good news. The Tigers won't be paying NC $1m to come here. Brooks is better value.

Jay
Member
Member
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon 31 May, 2010 10:28 am

Post by Jay » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 8:05 am

If we were paying 1m and he did 2 crap field goal attempts we would be pretty gutted.

Needaname
Member
Member
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sun 24 Apr, 2016 1:02 pm

Post by Needaname » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 8:41 am

fibrodreaming wrote:
Sun 16 Sep, 2018 7:47 am
Donald Trump wrote:
Sun 16 Sep, 2018 7:22 am
Nathan Cleary is good but not worth the supposed price tag required for him and his chin.

Stay with Brooks and get some bigger forwards to keep the roll going forward.
Agreed. This is good news. The Tigers won't be paying NC $1m to come here. Brooks is better value.
The even better news of it is Brooks can be re signed before players go to open market. Which means we have first dibs.
If Nathan was genuine about coming here we would have waited till Nov 1 to commence negotiations, that had the potential of losing Brooks, However if he gets halfback of the year I don’t think he’ll come too cheap. $700,000 + as he took a $50k pay cut last 2 years in a row so it’s time we owe him a decent contract.

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1988
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 9:08 am

Geo. wrote:
Sun 16 Sep, 2018 12:31 am
Why shut a thread can't players from other clubs be discussed. ..?
I’m just making the point that imo he has determined to stay st Penrith and therefore from a Tigers perspective there is nothing more to discuss but, if you enjoy discussing Penruth’s progress, and their halfback, go for your life.........
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Donald Trump
Member
Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue 15 Nov, 2016 5:28 pm

Post by Donald Trump » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 9:19 am

Needaname wrote:
Sun 16 Sep, 2018 8:41 am
fibrodreaming wrote:
Sun 16 Sep, 2018 7:47 am
Donald Trump wrote:
Sun 16 Sep, 2018 7:22 am
Nathan Cleary is good but not worth the supposed price tag required for him and his chin.

Stay with Brooks and get some bigger forwards to keep the roll going forward.
Agreed. This is good news. The Tigers won't be paying NC $1m to come here. Brooks is better value.
The even better news of it is Brooks can be re signed before players go to open market. Which means we have first dibs.
If Nathan was genuine about coming here we would have waited till Nov 1 to commence negotiations, that had the potential of losing Brooks, However if he gets halfback of the year I don’t think he’ll come too cheap. $700,000 + as he took a $50k pay cut last 2 years in a row so it’s time we owe him a decent contract.
What you say is true but Brooks owed us good performances. His value will go up....if he continues to perform.

Now we just need a coach. I still believe Cleary will not be here next year.
Let's make the Tigers great again!

Needaname
Member
Member
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sun 24 Apr, 2016 1:02 pm

Post by Needaname » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 9:43 am

Yes we’ll probably have to stagger his contract.
I would say Ivan is coach at least next year. The following year possibly not. Ciraldo will get an upgrade for next year as his still contracted to the club till end of 19. Next year depending on how we finish the year will be interesting but traditionally in Ivan Cleary teams he builds them up to a crescendo then they dip the following year. With next year our most likely window it might actually be a good situation changing coaches with Robbie and Marshall retiring.
I could even see Hodgo coach with the other 2 as assistants in 2020.

Spud Murphy
Member
Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Third Heaven

Post by Spud Murphy » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 9:51 am

AnnandaleTiger wrote:
Sat 15 Sep, 2018 11:00 pm
They are the 11 words from superstar halfback Nathan Cleary that will lift the spirits of shattered Penrith fans.

"It will be very, very hard to walk away after this," Cleary told Fairfax Media after Friday night's heartbreaking loss to Cronulla. "It's started a fire in the belly. We'll see what happens and go from there."

While the Panthers are out of the finals race following the 21-20 loss, the immediate focus will turn to locking up Cleary long term.

Cleary becomes a free agent on November 1, but the Panthers are keen to throw him a lucrative deal of up to five years, which will keep him at the foot of the mountains until the end of 2024.

It will then be a matter of when, not if, his famous father, Ivan, returns to the club as coach. Hopes of a reunion next year appear unlikely.

Just what Cleary will do once his existing deal expires at the end of next year was a storyline the halfback found impossible to escape all year, which is why he will not let it drag on again during the coming months.

A decision is likely to be reached well before his 21st birthday in November, which was seen as the unofficial deadline.

"I'm heading over to Bali and Thailand, I'll relax and get away from footy for a bit," Cleary said. "I'm going with family and then some school mates.

"I want to get this done as quickly as possible. There will be a lot of speculation and I don't want that.

"I'll have a good couple of days with the boys now, get through our reviews, then I'm happy to get straight into [negotiations].

"In the next week or so I'll start talks and hopefully get it wrapped up.''

Penrith are aware rival clubs will move quickly if Cleary becomes a free agent from November 1, hence their own eagerness to thrash out a long-term deal. They have already created a war chest by freeing up some space by releasing the likes of Tyrone Peachey to the Gold Coast and now Corey Harawira-Naera to the Bulldogs

The sweetener would be Ivan leaving Wests Tigers to eventually fulfil the family wish of being at the same club as Nathan.

A reminder of how close the pair are – and what gentle souls they are – was there to be seen at full-time at Allianz Stadium when they consoled each other.

"I was being a sook and had a cry on his shoulder,'' Nathan said.

"I couldn't hold it in when I saw mum and dad. They didn't say much and just told me how proud they were. They've always been so supportive of me.

I'm lucky to have those two as my parents.

"That was the first time I've cried after a game. I felt like I let the team down.

"It was really disappointing. To fight back the way we did, it's heartbreaking.

"It's been a pleasure to play with this team, especially to do what we did in the second half [fight back]. There are not many teams who can do it. And we've done it all year. It shows a lot of character.

"I think with this experience, everyone will be better for it next year. The way we lost tonight, it will give us a lot more hunger to come back bigger and better next year.''

Cleary suffered a knee injury in round three, returned to play in his first – and winning – Origin series with NSW, while his combination with James Maloney continually improved.

The Panthers, who bombed out in the second week of the finals for a third straight year, lose Peachey, Harawira-Naera and Christian Crichton, but also back fullback Dylan Edwards.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it-wil ... 503zi.html
Not fussed if we get Nathan or not, I'm happy with Brooks. Like many have said it's the forwards we need! Get some aggressive, strong metre makers and I reckon Brooks will shine in 2019.

The only downside of not getting Cleary is the eventual (and likely earlier than expected) loss of his daddy as our coach. I was really hoping to see what Ivan could do with us over the whole 3 year period, with the strengthening of our roster. Now that will likely be cut short and even if he is made to see out his contract, there will always be a question over his commitment to us while ever Nathan plays for a different team. Bugger of a situation to have happen just when things were looking up for us.

On another note, I didn't know Penrith were losing Edwards as well - where is he going to? Great fullback, would be handy.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5164
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 10:01 am

Needaname wrote:
Sun 16 Sep, 2018 9:43 am
Yes we’ll probably have to stagger his contract.
I would say Ivan is coach at least next year. The following year possibly not. Ciraldo will get an upgrade for next year as his still contracted to the club till end of 19. Next year depending on how we finish the year will be interesting but traditionally in Ivan Cleary teams he builds them up to a crescendo then they dip the following year. With next year our most likely window it might actually be a good situation changing coaches with Robbie and Marshall retiring.
I could even see Hodgo coach with the other 2 as assistants in 2020.
Well, what a disaster that would be.

Back to square one. If that is the best WT could do - they all need to give themselves an uppercut.

Needaname
Member
Member
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sun 24 Apr, 2016 1:02 pm

Post by Needaname » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 10:05 am

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 16 Sep, 2018 9:51 am
AnnandaleTiger wrote:
Sat 15 Sep, 2018 11:00 pm
They are the 11 words from superstar halfback Nathan Cleary that will lift the spirits of shattered Penrith fans.

"It will be very, very hard to walk away after this," Cleary told Fairfax Media after Friday night's heartbreaking loss to Cronulla. "It's started a fire in the belly. We'll see what happens and go from there."

While the Panthers are out of the finals race following the 21-20 loss, the immediate focus will turn to locking up Cleary long term.

Cleary becomes a free agent on November 1, but the Panthers are keen to throw him a lucrative deal of up to five years, which will keep him at the foot of the mountains until the end of 2024.

It will then be a matter of when, not if, his famous father, Ivan, returns to the club as coach. Hopes of a reunion next year appear unlikely.

Just what Cleary will do once his existing deal expires at the end of next year was a storyline the halfback found impossible to escape all year, which is why he will not let it drag on again during the coming months.

A decision is likely to be reached well before his 21st birthday in November, which was seen as the unofficial deadline.

"I'm heading over to Bali and Thailand, I'll relax and get away from footy for a bit," Cleary said. "I'm going with family and then some school mates.

"I want to get this done as quickly as possible. There will be a lot of speculation and I don't want that.

"I'll have a good couple of days with the boys now, get through our reviews, then I'm happy to get straight into [negotiations].

"In the next week or so I'll start talks and hopefully get it wrapped up.''

Penrith are aware rival clubs will move quickly if Cleary becomes a free agent from November 1, hence their own eagerness to thrash out a long-term deal. They have already created a war chest by freeing up some space by releasing the likes of Tyrone Peachey to the Gold Coast and now Corey Harawira-Naera to the Bulldogs

The sweetener would be Ivan leaving Wests Tigers to eventually fulfil the family wish of being at the same club as Nathan.

A reminder of how close the pair are – and what gentle souls they are – was there to be seen at full-time at Allianz Stadium when they consoled each other.

"I was being a sook and had a cry on his shoulder,'' Nathan said.

"I couldn't hold it in when I saw mum and dad. They didn't say much and just told me how proud they were. They've always been so supportive of me.

I'm lucky to have those two as my parents.

"That was the first time I've cried after a game. I felt like I let the team down.

"It was really disappointing. To fight back the way we did, it's heartbreaking.

"It's been a pleasure to play with this team, especially to do what we did in the second half [fight back]. There are not many teams who can do it. And we've done it all year. It shows a lot of character.

"I think with this experience, everyone will be better for it next year. The way we lost tonight, it will give us a lot more hunger to come back bigger and better next year.''

Cleary suffered a knee injury in round three, returned to play in his first – and winning – Origin series with NSW, while his combination with James Maloney continually improved.

The Panthers, who bombed out in the second week of the finals for a third straight year, lose Peachey, Harawira-Naera and Christian Crichton, but also back fullback Dylan Edwards.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it-wil ... 503zi.html
Not fussed if we get Nathan or not, I'm happy with Brooks. Like many have said it's the forwards we need! Get some aggressive, strong metre makers and I reckon Brooks will shine in 2019.

The only downside of not getting Cleary is the eventual (and likely earlier than expected) loss of his daddy as our coach. I was really hoping to see what Ivan could do with us over the whole 3 year period, with the strengthening of our roster. Now that will likely be cut short and even if he is made to see out his contract, there will always be a question over his commitment to us while ever Nathan plays for a different team. Bugger of a situation to have happen just when things were looking up for us.

On another note, I didn't know Penrith were losing Edwards as well - where is he going to? Great fullback, would be handy.
Think it’s a typo, says but, back and fullback. doesn’t say lose Edwards I think it’s meant to say but will welcome back fullback Dylan Edwards.

Needaname
Member
Member
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sun 24 Apr, 2016 1:02 pm

Post by Needaname » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 10:11 am

Russell wrote:
Sun 16 Sep, 2018 10:01 am
Needaname wrote:
Sun 16 Sep, 2018 9:43 am
Yes we’ll probably have to stagger his contract.
I would say Ivan is coach at least next year. The following year possibly not. Ciraldo will get an upgrade for next year as his still contracted to the club till end of 19. Next year depending on how we finish the year will be interesting but traditionally in Ivan Cleary teams he builds them up to a crescendo then they dip the following year. With next year our most likely window it might actually be a good situation changing coaches with Robbie and Marshall retiring.
I could even see Hodgo coach with the other 2 as assistants in 2020.
Well, what a disaster that would be.

Back to square one. If that is the best WT could do - they all need to give themselves an uppercut.
Settle down Russell, you don’t know how the next year will play out. If that was to happen though Hodgo would be getting another year of experience, Robbie and Benji I did not mean exclusive assistant coaches but supporting coaches like Mick Ennis is for Cronulla. Benji will go to the media full time but can be in and around to teach skills etc, Robbie is probably more likely to get into a business position in the club rather than coach.
We would be better off with Hodgo continuing on as assistant with a more experienced coach but money talks doesn’t it.

Locked